*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

809,127 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Notice Kylo half in the light...

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think it's any different than traditional Christian beliefs. Most Christians believe that someone could be on their death bed and as long as they accept Christ before death, no matter their sins, they'll be forgiven. Vader turning to the light in the end is the same basic idea. That said, in order for audiences to "allow" his turn, I think Vader HAD to A) destroy a greater evil, and B) die in the process. Same with Kylo. *If* he turns back toward the light, he's going to have to likely kill Palpatine once and for all and die doing so.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I guess I don't understand where you're getting the no-regret thing from? Vader turned and then died like two minutes later. Just because we didn't hear him audibly express his regret in those two minutes doesn't mean he didn't feel it (or say it off screen). That, and to me at least, his regret was assumed. As long he didn't explicitly say, "I regret nothing!" and then took his last breath, I think we can assume he had regrets, IMO.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Vader's sacrifice is the ultimate one that a person can make - trading my life to ensure someone else lives.

My questions has always been, say Vader did nothing and Palpy burns Luke to a crisp, is there anything Palpy can then do to stop the destruction of DS II? Is he powerful enough to not only sense where the Falcon is, but reach out in the Force after expelling a fairly large effort frying Luke to ether Force choke Lando/Nien Nunb or smash the Falcon and Wedge's X-Wing into each other?

I don't think it's going to happen, but would love a Lando/Nien Nunb reunion in TROS with Nien jabbering excitedly and Lando saying, "It's been 36 years, when are you gonna learn some MFin Basic?"
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My personal odds:

Palpatine - 99%
Luke - 90%
Anakin/Vader - 50%
Yoda - 30%
Obi-Wan - 25%
Qui-Gon - 10%
You realize Ian McDiarmid and Mark Hamill are listed in the official cast, right?
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

Purely a rumor at this point, but if you really want to know, this could be considered a sizable spoiler... I have no idea how, but apparently Han speaks to Kylo in some kind of vision and tells him it's not too late to change.
Does he give the speech from the end of Rocky IV?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My personal odds:

Palpatine - 99%
Luke - 90%
Anakin/Vader - 50%
Yoda - 30%
Obi-Wan - 25%
Qui-Gon - 10%
You realize Ian McDiarmid and Mark Hamill are listed in the official cast, right?
I'm not listing them at 100% until I see the movie or they appear in a trailer.
double aught
AG
C@LAg said:

TCTTS said:

. As long he didn't explicitly say, "I regret nothing!" and then took his last breath, I think we can assume he had regrets, IMO.

Just reading the sentence was hilarious. Then you made this.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, wow. What do you guys think, does this "confirm" the 10/14 trailer date? Notice how the official Twitter feed responded. And yes, I'm well aware of the whole We Rate Dogs rating system ("They're good dogs, Brent."), and this feels like it's playing to that while also hinting at the trailer date...

jokershady
AG
For me:

Palpatine - 100%
Luke - 100%
Anakin/Vader - 50%
Yoda - 25%
Obi-Wan - 25%
Snoke - 20% (as flashback)
Leia - 20% (as Force Ghost or flashback after an assumed death scene)
Qui-Gon - 10%
MFing Mace Windu - 5%
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, wow. What do you guys think, does this "confirm" the 10/14 trailer date? Notice how the official Twitter feed responded. And yes, I'm well aware of the whole We Rate Dogs rating system ("They're good dogs, Brent."), and this feels like it's playing to that while also hinting at the trailer date...

Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My personal odds:

Palpatine - 99%
Luke - 90%
Anakin/Vader - 50%
Yoda - 30%
Obi-Wan - 25%
Qui-Gon - 10%
I'm not listing them at 100% until I see the movie or they appear in a trailer.
So when the movie comes out, I'm expecting you to leave the theater, return to your post and edit it.
bobinator
AG
We know for 100% that Palps and Luke appear in the movie, but we don't know if they only appear in flashbacks/visions/etc or if they actually appear as force ghosts in the present or even some sort of resurrected whatever. I think that's why you can still leave room at 99% on those two.

That's kind of what I meant earlier by the loose definition of 'appear in the movie.'
bobinator
AG
Leia is also definitely in the movie right? Unless I missed something.
The Collective
AG
bobinator said:

Yes
jokershady
AG
CJS4715 said:

bobinator said:

Yes
yes my 20% guess is referring to the odds that we see her again as a flashback or force ghost after she assumedly dies as a flesh and blood character.

M guess is that her "goodbye to fans" scene will be done via flashback or force ghost and they won't try to stretch a scene out to accommodate everything at once...especially since they probably won't have the footage to do it anyway
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

So when the movie comes out, I'm expecting you to leave the theater, return to your post and edit it.
Don't worry, he'll post a review from the theater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's my odds before the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Initial thoughts from the theater. Full review once I get home.
The Collective
AG
Yea, I could see them doing a flashback with Leia. Really, Rian Johnson gave her a pretty great send-off. Her scene with Luke + allowing Poe to lead them out of the base.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Her scene with Luke is so simple and powerful it really get me. Although the one thing that really blows my mind regarding the power of Luke Skywalker jedi master is that his force illusion even fools c3p0. And assumingly the scanners on the at-ats as well since I doubt all those gunners are lining up their shots manually
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Luke/Leia scene is so damn good.

It's a shame the movie is not better regarded overall, because this scene gets overlooked, imo.

If you didn't get choked up, you're just not a Star Wars fan.
bobinator
AG
I think the whole movie is like that. It's a great movie and a crappy movie spliced into one mediocre movie.

It's really the only movie I think I can ever recall sitting in and having the thoughts of "holy **** this is awesome" and "what the **** is even happening right now" MULTIPLE TIMES EACH.

But when you do a rewatch it's easier to focus on the great scenes. For me this movie has actually gotten better since the first time I saw it.
The Collective
AG
Easily the most confused I've ever been leaving the theater. My wife immediately said it wasn't good, because she hated the direction they took just about every character.
amercer
AG
Liked it when I saw it, still like it now. I do think a lot of how TLJ will be remembered depends on how good this last movie is.

If ROS is great then TLJ will be seen as another good chapter. If ROS is a mess, then TLJ will be blamed as the beginning of the end.
Fat Bib Fortuna
CJS4715 said:

Easily the most confused I've ever been leaving the theater. My wife immediately said it wasn't good, because she hated the direction they took just about every character.
You're doing it wrong, Star Wars is a great opportunity to not hear your wife criticize your favorite movies for 3 hours.
The Collective
AG
She is no superfan, but she enjoys them enough to go opening night. She rightfully chuckled at quidditch Leia in the moment.
bobinator
AG
The Rise of Skywalker could be better than The Empire Strikes Back and the Canto Bight sequence would still be garbage.
Fat Bib Fortuna
What's funny is as cheesy as we feel the Leia Force Spacewalk scene is, when my Ag buddy and i took my daughter (then 5) and his son (then 9) to see it - that was both of their favorite scene going away. You forget half of the demographic for these movies are people who are mainly concerned with what kind of candy they're getting while they watch.
The Collective
AG
If TROS sucks, the whole thing will be considered a failure. Made money? Yes. Exciting for superfans? Yes. Grew the lore and SW brand? Not really.
bobinator
AG
For all of the hate for that scene, it actually didn't bother me that much. At least, what was presented on screen didn't bother me in and of itself.

What bothered me is that if felt emotionally manipulative given the external factors. To have Leia seem to almost die, when we knew Carrie Fisher died in real life, seemed kinda cheap to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 115 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.