*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

809,193 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please for the love of god do it like the trailer for LOTR: ROTK.

Great trailer. Got you hyped. Didn't tell you much of anything that was actually going to happen.

bobinator
AG
Maybe because I just recently re-watched the LOTR, but isn't basically everything in that trailer? The only piece on the whole board that isn't in there is the army of the dead. Like even the fact that Arwen gave up immortality is in there.

But also kind of dealing with different cases. In that case, the really major plot points were already in motion before the final movie. They even say in the trailer 'the board is set, the pieces are moving...'

For TROS, we aren't really sure what game we're even playing.
The Collective
AG
jokershady said:

Great trailer. Got you hyped. Didn't tell you much of anything that was actually going to happen.

I'm not sure I remember that trailer, but it shows a **** ton of stuff that would have been best left to the movie, imo.
TCTTS
AG
The pic isn't showing up for me in your post. Hopefully this one works...

Quote:

Babu Frik, the tiny Anzellan droidsmith, first glimpsed in toy form during the Triple Force Friday livestream event, works among the Spice Runners of Kijimi and can reprogram or modify virtually any droid regardless of the security measures protecting its systems.
TCTTS
AG
(Btw, this little guy confirms yet another plot point in the reddit breakdowns, if anyone was wondering about their accuracy.)
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How pissed would you be if they made it a theater exclusive with Maleficent 2 for an entire weekend?

I know I would be.

I'd have to wait 'til Monday. I don't think I could bring myself to watch that movie in the theater (or ever). I'd feel like such a creep going alone to that one.
amercer
AG
CJS4715 said:

jokershady said:

I'm not sure I remember that trailer, but it shows a **** ton of stuff that would have been best left to the movie, imo.

The plot of that movie had been leaked 50 years prior....
The Collective
AG
I get it. An example of something I'm surprised they showed is Aragorn drawing Anduril for the first time - might be my favorite moment in the ROTK.
bobinator
AG
I guess what I'm wondering is would y'all rather know more about the movie from the trailer, or stay in the dark?

Like do we want a clue as to why/how Palpatine is involved again or what Kylo Ren is doing?

I think I'd almost prefer to stay as in the dark as we are now.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

This whole time I've been concentrating on the Monday Night Football angle of the new trailer and totally forgot to consider what it might be attached to theatrically. I just realized that Disney has TWO movies out October 18 - Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and Jo Jo Rabbit (via Fox Searchlight). While I still think this Monday and then with Gemini Man next Friday is in play, a Monday, October 14th MNF debut and then in theaters that weekend with Maleficent and Jo Jo makes the most sense to me at this point.

Seems SWNN is coming to the same October 14th conclusion. With Force Friday in a couple of days, Disney is likely going to want all the merchandise to take center stage this weekend/early next week. I'd bet just about anything at this point we'll get the final poster on Sunday the 13th (in conjunction with the trailer announcement) and then the trailer itself on the 14th during MNF, Lions at Packers...

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/10/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-speculation-on-trailer-date-poster-reveal-ticket-sales-and-theatrical-attachments.html
TCTTS
AG
(Which also means you can expect my massive, 100-image Skywalker Saga thread to go up at some point in the middle of the night on the 15th.)
The Collective
AG
The hype will be strong; Lucasfilm knows how to build a trailer. Here is what we got from VII & VIII for full trailers.

Final trailers from VII & VIII:
The Collective
AG
Embed fail...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's about that time!

TCTTS
AG
My guess is the trailer will henge primarily on these two themes...

Quote:

Terrio revealed to Empire the key questions that fuel the final film in the Skywalker Saga.

"One of them is a simple one: 'Who is Rey?'," he says. "Which is a question that people not only wonder about quite literally, but wonder about in the spiritual sense. How can Rey become the spiritual heir to the Jedi? We kept coming back to 'Who is Rey?', and how can we give the most satisfying answer to that not only factually because obviously people are interested in whether there's more to be learned of Rey's story but more importantly who is she as a character? How will she find the courage and will and inner strength and power to carry on what she's inherited?"

He continues: "The second one is, 'How strong is the Force?' It sounds a little simple, but actually when you get down to it, that is a sort of Zen Koan that we would really meditate on not literally in yoga poses or anything, but like we would discuss, 'What is the Force and how strong is the Force?' Those two things were really important."

So there you have it 'Who is Rey?' and 'How strong is the Force?' are the two driving ideas behind Episode IX.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/star-wars-rise-skywalker-two-questions-revealed-chris-terrio/
bobinator
AG
"How strong is the force" is something my friends and I have discussed before, so that could be really interesting.

I've posted this before on here, but maybe as much as anything I'm excited to see how the 'force ghosts' use the force in this movie.
mazag08
AG
The end of the movie is going to be Hayden Christensen waking up from a nightmare next to Natalie Portman. She'll ask what's wrong. He will say that he just had a vision and realized the dark path that would be created if he ever betrayed the Jedi. The next scene he walks into Palps office and chops his head off, burns his body, and then escapes on a ship with Portman to the outer regions.. likely to a non sandy planet, never to be heard from again.
bobinator
AG
One of my predictions since the beginning of this thing is that Hayden Christensen is going to make an appearance.
Saul Goodman
AG
bobinator said:

One of my predictions since the beginning of this thing is that Hayden Christensen is going to make an appearance.
As bad as he was playing Anakin (with no help from Lucas on the dialogue or direction) - I would love to see him in IX.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My personal odds:

Palpatine - 99%
Luke - 90%
Anakin/Vader - 50%
Yoda - 30%
Obi-Wan - 25%
Qui-Gon - 10%
bobinator
AG
I'm at like 85% on Vader/Anakin
TCTTS
AG
You're leaving one out...
TCTTS
AG
Let's talk Anakin/Vader. How, exactly, would he come back and for what purpose? I absolutely want to see it, but I can't envision how or why. To talk Kylo away from the Dark Side? If so, why wouldn't he have done that by now?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Luke is 100% going to be in this movie.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS
AG
We hear him say new dialogue in the trailer. He and Palpatine are 100%.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Mace? Kit Fisto? Dexter Jettster?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Let's talk Anakin/Vader. How, exactly, would he come back and for what purpose? I absolutely want to see it, but I can't envision how or why. To talk Kylo away from the Dark Side? If so, why wouldn't he have done that by now?
I think he might appear to Kylo as a ghost on Mustafar.

It'll be Vader in full suit, and at first it'll seem like he's guiding him towards the dark. And then he'll reveal his true self, as Anakin. (Who he may not know was redeemed to the light before his death.)

This might be the beginning (or the decisive moment) of his redemption.
TCTTS
AG
Purely a rumor at this point, but if you really want to know, this could be considered a sizable spoiler... I have no idea how, but apparently Han speaks to Kylo in some kind of vision and tells him it's not too late to change.
MGS
mazag08 said:

The end of the movie is going to be Hayden Christensen waking up from a nightmare next to Natalie Portman. She'll ask what's wrong. He will say that he just had a vision and realized the dark path that would be created if he ever betrayed the Jedi. The next scene he walks into Palps office and chops his head off, burns his body, and then escapes on a ship with Portman to the outer regions.. likely to a non sandy planet, never to be heard from again.

"You won't believe the dream I just had"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Purely a rumor at this point, but if you really want to know, this could be considered a sizable spoiler... I have no idea how, but apparently Han speaks to Kylo in some kind of vision and tells him it's not too late to change.
I was only looking at force users. Didn't really consider Han a possibility, so that's a little odd.
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

I think we might need to clarify what we mean by "come back." I think it's VERY likely that we're going to get some kind of backstory on Anakin that helps inform the present, and that we might see him through some kind of flashback. So that would be Hayden Christensen making an appearance possibly, but not being back in the sense that he's affecting current events.

I think that scenario is more likely than having a force ghost Anakin that's doing something in the present.

But that said, I do think him impacting the present is possible, so let's do some wild speculating.

The simplest is what you said, to talk Kylo back from the edge. There could be a lot of workarounds for 'why wouldn't he have done that by now.' Perhaps while Snoke was alive he was 'blocking' Kylo from communicating with him somehow. Or that Kylo hadn't progressed to the point where he could reach him but something that happens in this movie allows him to do so.

There hasn't been much established at all on how exactly the force ghosts work, so there's a lot of room there for Abrams to just make something up.

Or maybe it's Rey that he reaches out to because he can still feel that Kylo can be redeemed so he talks her into trying again? That would be weird probably... but possible I guess. I kind of find it unlikely that he'll speak much...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hm.... I wonder if it's possible Anakin somehow infused his force energy into Rey?

I know most of us are all in on the clone theory, but that could be interesting.
TCTTS
AG
I dig that. Could be pretty sweet.

That presents an interesting question, though... how much does Kylo know about Vader? I guess he'd have to not know he was redeemed at the very end, but why would Luke have never shared that info? The whole worshiping Vader is a cool idea in theory, but it's never made much sense when you really start to think about it. It's also weird that Vader didn't immediately appear in Force ghost form to Kylo and was like, "Yo, quit being a punk and quit worshipping me as this evil dude. Luke showed me the light at the end."
TCTTS
AG
Typed my response while you were typing yours. Interesting idea, but I'd like to think Force ghost Anakin is more powerful than Snoke, and thus couldn't be "blocked" by him, but I guess I could buy that if they explain it correctly.
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.