*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

750,237 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The REAL misdirection is intimating there was any overall story outline to begin with.

Is a misdirected misdirection.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, same. Cannot believe it didn't leak. There's a decent chunk of people who work on any given trailer, and they obviously have to know (and I'm sure they all had to sign iron clad NDAs), but outside of them, it's probably just Abrams, Terrio, Kennedy, Iger, and a couple others. I guess Disney doesn't care about selling merch with the title on it at Celebration this year, otherwise that's definitely where the leak would have come from.
I went to the official store on Sunday, and saw the Rise of Skywalker t-shirts, which were quickly selling out. (My size was already sold out.)

I'm pretty sure that was the first day they sold them, so my guess is they didn't ship those in until Saturday night at the earliest.

Smart move, it's a miracle it didn't leak. And it's exactly what I had expected would happen.

At least I got the IX beanie. It's not a shirt, but it's something.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Beat40 said:

I'm guessing Disney has learned some lessons from Marvel in regards to leaks.

This didn't age well huh?
canadiaggie
AG
Belton Ag said:

bobinator said:

I think you could also argue the Knights of Ren have been a misdirection from the very beginning, for all the talk about them we literally haven't even seen them except in a force vision from Rey.
I think more of a disjointed story arc from Lucasfilm more than a misdirection.

I always thought the Knights of Ren could function so much better. I speculated around TFA that Ren was a title, much like Darth, and that the Knights were an order of Dark Side users, sort of in the vein of the Sith but with a different history, different rules, not beholden to the Rule of Two. Maybe they mirrored the Jedi Order in the sense that they were a knightly order, much more so than the Sith, just dedicated to the Dark Side.

Instead we get no back story, no detail, just a simplistic rehash of empire vs rebels
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Yeah, same. Cannot believe it didn't leak. There's a decent chunk of people who work on any given trailer, and they obviously have to know (and I'm sure they all had to sign iron clad NDAs), but outside of them, it's probably just Abrams, Terrio, Kennedy, Iger, and a couple others. I guess Disney doesn't care about selling merch with the title on it at Celebration this year, otherwise that's definitely where the leak would have come from.
I went to the official store on Sunday, and saw the Rise of Skywalker t-shirts, which were quickly selling out. (My size was already sold out.)

I'm pretty sure that was the first day they sold them, so my guess is they didn't ship those in until Saturday night at the earliest.

Smart move, it's a miracle it didn't leak. And it's exactly what I had expected would happen.

At least I got the IX beanie. It's not a shirt, but it's something.
They were on the floor at 10:00 am on Saturday. Design by Humans booth was selling them. I got one for myself, wife, and son. Kid is already rockin' it at school today.

But they were sold out by 1:00.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Spilner just threw up his hands because that photo spoiled that there are stormtroopers in the movie.
You're really going hard on this joke huh?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, that explains the 4 hour line on Saturday that I didn't get in.

Oh well. At least I got a nice custom shirt.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, that explains the 4 hour line on Saturday that I didn't get it.

Oh well. At least I got a nice custom shirt.
I wouldn't fret too much, you can get them on Amazon for about $5 less than the price at Celebration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CJS4715 said:

Are we getting a trailer reaction video from Spilner or what?
The Collective
AG
You are scanning this thread? Just wait until you get to the part where we have an official vote on spoilers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

There's a HEAVY Lawrence of Arabia vibe/look to this movie that just has me giddy. This looks like such a massive, CINEMATIC blockbuster.
This is absolutely the vibe that I get from this trailer.

As well as being much more in tone with TFA, which I'm sure is a welcome relief to a lot of people.

I don't think anybody is better than JJ Abrams at trailers, and this one is no exception. Absolutely amazing visuals, awesome music swell, Leia's Theme, and that awesome shot of the destroyed Death Star.

(I feel like those huge, wide-angle shots of landscapes with remnants of the Empire are quickly becoming JJ's "trope" in Star Wars, which I absolutely love.)
Ag Since 83
AG
I got a Rise of Skywalker shirt! Some of the many dollars of souvenirs I managed to haul home from Chicago.
bobinator
AG
What if we have something like this:

- It's been several years since the events of The Last Jedi
- Rey and the resistance have been staying underground, trying to gather ships and resources and calling others to their cause
- Kylo Ren, with Rey in hiding and no clear purpose, has become listless. The first order is basically on autopilot, so he's started to try and reach out to see if there is anyone else on the dark side. The Knights of Ren, who are also searching, hear a rumor that there is perhaps a powerful artifact buried with the emperor on the Death Star II that will allow Kylo to contact Palpatine. Which he would be interested in obviously because Palpatine was Vader's master. It's a powerful force object so scavengers haven't found it.
- With Kylo finding a purpose, Rey can sense/see where he is going, so she and Finn and Poe attempt to stop him from getting it. Rey and company are too late, Kylo has it.
- All of that is just the first 25-ish minutes of the movie.
Beat40
Not at all!
G Martin 87
AG
CJS4715 said:

You are scanning this thread? Just wait until you get to the part where we have an official vote on spoilers.
I vote yes. I want all the spoilers this time around.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Broba Fett said:

The page 37 theory is insane. This movie will bomb if that's what the plot revolves around.
lmao
maca1028
Rey and company are going to get the time stone from Thanos then go back to kill Palpatine at birth which in turn balances the force.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't get me wrong... I actually kind of LOVE the idea of a primitive tribe in Episode IX giving Rey the name "Skywalker," Rey then going back in time, and THAT'S where the name Skywalker comes from. There's something super cool and trippy about that. Also, it would definitely explain why there's (apparently) no more Rey after Episode IX and why we're on to a new set of characters instead.

That said, I just don't see the point. Even if Rey went even further back in time and was, say, Shmi's grandmother or something, Rey would still be going back in time with the knowledge that her eventual offspring is Darth Vader.
Ridiculous as it would be, and as much as I ultimately don't want time travel to be injected into Star Wars THIS late into the game --- I'm a real sucker for time travel stories, for some reason.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Re: the spoiler tagging discussion

I say this only because I've been brought up a lot -- after TC's long-winded (and ultimately justified) rant against my constant *****ing about spoilers, I said I would stop posting in this thread.

While obviously that has proven difficult for me, I've kind of already forfeited the right to opine and/or complain about it. So no need to get spoiler-tag-happy, as some of the pages are.

In any case I think the general consensus is a good one. Unless it's confirmed and coming directly from Lucasfilm/Disney, it should be fair game in this thread.
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
Prepare your spoilers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I had always assumed that this was basically a mental connection between the living Jedi and one who had passed on. Obviously they have a voice for storytelling purposes, but I always assumed that voice was in the characters' heads.
Well, getting SUPER nerdy about it, sound can only be created if you are a physical entity and interacting with the environment. (Creating sound waves.)

So unless their voices are only in their heads, I guess it was always true that they could interact with the physical world. I just didn't think about it that way before.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator
AG
Great... I've really been hoping they'd just leave it where it was with Rey's parents.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Watching the trailer, and knowing how TLJ ends, I get the sense this is a galaxy that's just about spent. The rebellion was reduced to whoever could fit in the Falcon, I'm not sure the first order had much more than Kylo's army at the end of TLJ. Neither force can control the galaxy, let alone defeat each other.

Maybe they're both racing for a reputed, lost source of Imperial power that the Kylo could use to control the galaxy and the resistance must keep out of his hands? And that race puts Rey on a course to discovering the truth of her parentage.

Movie ends with a resolution of the conflict and a galaxy void of any galactic government. It would be pure Wild West from there - almost makes me think of Isaac Asimov's The Foundation series.
Thanks and gig'em
Flashdiaz
AG
No more government!

amercer
AG
bobinator said:

Great... I've really been hoping they'd just leave it where it was with Rey's parents.

They could explain how she got orphaned on Jakku without having to make her parents characters from the OT.
Coog97
Predictions...

Leia: dies (duh)
Chewbacca: dies
Poe: lives
Finn: lives
Kylo: redeemed, then dies
Rey: dies, with Kylo, working together to save everyone
C-3PO: ghey
Rose: who cares?

Jett01
AG
Coog97 said:

Predictions...

Leia: dies (duh)
Chewbacca: dies
Poe: lives
Finn: lives
Kylo: redeemed, then dies
Rey: dies, with Kylo, working together to save everyone
C-3PO: ghey
Rose: who cares?

Not super into SW, but I disagree with the Rey prediction.
amercer
AG
Rey, Finn, and Poe aren't dying. Those characters have at least 5 billion reasons that Disney will keep them alive. Episodes X - XII coming your way in 2025
The Collective
AG
Doesn't matter if they "kill" Rey, because no one's ever really gone.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
amercer said:

Rey, Finn, and Poe aren't dying. Those characters have at least 5 billion reasons that Disney will keep them alive. Episodes X - XII coming your way in 2025

Chewie ain't dying either.

And Han can't come back cuz Harrison Ford won't do it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.