***HBO**Sharp Objects******

40,079 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oragator
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who is the guy that left the bar when Amy Adams was talking to the detective? They also shared a look at the house during the memorial.
OldArmy71
AG
I had the same question. I assume it's an old high school flame, now married to one of the mean girls AA was talking to.
gomerschlep
AG
I'm in.
PooDoo
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Who is the guy that left the bar when Amy Adams was talking to the detective? They also shared a look at the house during the memorial.

I'm guessing one of the high school football guys chasing her through the woods. Guessing she was sexually assaulted and that's why she quit being a cheerleader.
Bunk Moreland
PooDoo said:

mrsbeer05 said:

I'm guessing one of the high school football guys chasing her through the woods. Guessing she was sexually assaulted and that's why she quit being a cheerleader.

I think he's going to be the "nice one with regrets about what has happened" out of the group of bros.
PooDoo
AG
And the masturbation scenes are really her going to town on herself with a needle.
PooDoo
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

PooDoo said:

mrsbeer05 said:

I think he's going to be the "nice one with regrets about what has happened" out of the group of bros.
Figure either that or her accusations blew his shot at a scholarship and he's stuck in town working at the slaughter house. I thought he was trying to look angry more than ashamed.

I'm hoping it's something more than the killer is the odd stepdad or the police chief that happened to touch the dead body in front of a reporter.

Also, is anyone else getting the vibe that the new sister is some kind of clone or test tube baby with DNA from the dead sister?
mavsfan4ever
AG
AgLaw said:

HBO has me programmed to search for crazy ***** About halfway through last night's episode, I had convinced myself that Jackie (Elizabeth Perkins' character) was a halucination Camille only sees while she's drinking (in the forest in Ep. 1 and at the funeral and reception in Ep. 2)....then Camille mentioned Jackie to another character.

The first time camille spoke to Jackie, after Camille walked away, Jackie had a weird/sort of evil look on her fac and mumbled something. Did anyone catch what she said? It seemed like they wanted us to know, or at least think, there was something going on with her. But it might've been misdirection from the writers.
ellebee
I had cc on and I think she said "she's a beauty" or something along those lines.
OldArmy71
AG
This is as depressing a show as I have ever watched.
TXAG14
Pretty convinced Amma has something to do with the murders. Slaughterhouse scene had me scratching my head.
Mozart Paintings
AG
We need to take this thread to the most unsettling thread. Good lord.
oragator
I am All over the map on this show.
On the one hand, they have squeezed almost every common female narrative cliche they could into it already - woman chafes at societal restrictions, woman can't get along with mom, rebelling girl, means girls, mom throws guilt trips, secret feelings of inadequacy, and this episode brought up boyfriends and babies. You also have the whole hallmark good looking male frenemy piece. Not to mention the whole Mom and step dad stepford thing comes across as forced,
On the other hand, the way that they are telling the story overall is really well done. The whole Alice thing this week intertwined with the current story was great writing, and Amy Adams is really really good. The pacing and slow exposition is great, as is the wide net they have already cast to allow it to happen that way, and the fearlessness in the writing too.
spag.ag2003
AG
Tremendous storytelling. I think this show took a big step forward this week - hope it keeps it up.

f burg ag
AG
No doubt in my mind that Amma is involved. There is too much play between Adora and Camille that makes the watcher hate Adora......resulting in Camille having to explain to Adora that her favorite living child is not what she appears (I think the Amma running over roses scene is symbolic of her betrayal of her mom). But I don't think she is directly involved, that would be too easy. "They will do anything for me" - Amma regarding her friends.
NASAg03
powerful. didn't shed much light on the mystery, but did a great job conveying how complex humanity is. everyone is a suspect because we're all weird and broken. love this show.
dave94
AG
That final scene in the institution was heartwrenching, but so damn well done.
TCTTS
AG
I agree with most every sentiment stated so far, re: tonight's episode. That said, I can't help but repeat my same complaint from last week... these characters continue to feel less and less like real people. Distractingly so. No one acts at all like human beings would act. Not even taking into account the heightened nature of most television. I'm also super tired of all the roller skating, but that's just me.
Max Power
AG
Well said, I feel like Detective Willis is basically investigating multiple homicides in a fantasy land. His logic and reasoning don't fit with this town. He needs Camille to help him understand where he is in order to actually do his job. Amma is really troubling to watch, she's laying out what I can only assume are hints when she tells Camille her friends love her and would do anything for her. And also telling the detective he wouldn't figure this whole thing out when it's in front of him. Amma is basically treated and acts like a doll when she's home, but as soon as she's gone she turns into someone else.

It also feels like the mother is definitely trying to derail Camille's own investigation. The scene with the girlfriend wearing the cheerleader outfit was bizarre, she's controlling John and the interview, she invited Camille over but was steering the entire conversation herself.
Jimmie Dimmick
Still watching, but it's not really doing it for me. As others have mentioned, too many of the characters are just way too bizarre. It doesn't seem real at all. And wtf is the Detective actually doing? He just goes to coffee shops and bars and sits with his file folders.
Mike Elko
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm also super tired of all the roller skating, but that's just me.
This. So much this.

The final rehab facility scenes were uncomfortable to watch, but portrayed well. Also, there are a lot of "A" names in this show...
DannyDuberstein
AG
The entire town seems like they are completely high all the time. All of the weird characters, excessive roller-skating, etc. Maybe there is something in the Wind Gap water that needs to be investigated. Or maybe the writing needs to tighten things up a bit. The mental hospital storyline was well done though.
OldArmy71
AG
What is the timeline of the mental hospital thing? Did that girl know the first murdered girl? I know I should use CC, but I haven't, and I couldn't understand much of the dialogue.
DannyDuberstein
AG
OldArmy71 said:

What is the timeline of the mental hospital thing? Did that girl know the first murdered girl? I know I should use CC, but I haven't, and I couldn't understand much of the dialogue.
I used CC and it wasn't much help in identifying who she was. I took that it was a commitment that occurred before Camille moved away from Wind Gap, but it didn't spell any connections to the other girls.

But they do continue to throw some signs about the creepy stepdad.
pinkdog
I think the stepdad is quite creepy, but for the life of me I can't figure out a motive for him to kill two girls.
f burg ag
AG
pinkdog said:

I think the stepdad is quite creepy, but for the life of me I can't figure out a motive for him to kill two girls.
They might have something on his only daughter and his wife has his nuts in a sling?
DannyDuberstein
AG
The killer yanks the teeth out of teenage girls and kills them. Motive seems to be relatively straight-forward in my book -> a case of ****ed-in-the-head syndrome that they are compelled to act out. Which anyone married to Camille's mom has to be a little bit ****ed in the head.
Btron
AG
pinkdog said:

They touched his stereo
TCTTS
AG
I laughed.
KidDoc
AG
This show isn't doing much for me, it is just soooo dark and depressing and that sister chick is just such a jerk. I do kind of want to see how it ends but it is feeling much like TD2 and I don't have high expectations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm thinking this show might be more enjoyable if I get drunk on vodka before watching it. Everyone is so bizarre that I'm starting to think that's what they are going for - we see everything through Camille's drunk eyes. So maybe her mom, her sister, and pretty much every other character aren't as weird as they seem to be. It's that we're watching them through a drunk lens.

But if that's what they are going for, it's not doing it for me.
bobinator
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

But they do continue to throw some signs about the creepy stepdad.
I'm finally caught up on this show, so sorry if this has been talked about, but I think all of the male characters are intentionally thin. They're basically all doing the same thing all the time. The dad is in the study listening to music, the police chief guy is always basically sitting around or piddling with something like that stop sign, the brother is always crying and not saying anything, the dad of the first girl is always super weird. Except for the detective and even he isn't exactly the deepest character in the world.

So I'm going to be pretty surprised if the killer is male. Seems to me like the show is making a point to make the male characters wallpaper.
ac04
i'm enjoying the weirdness.
Hannah McKay
AG
I read the book, and there's a lot of imagery in the show that pulls from the things Camille thinks/narrates throughout. But I also think having read the book has helped me understand a lot of the "weirdness" going on, and I feel that the characters are acting as they were written. I'm not sure enough emphasis is being put in this thread about how Camille didn't want to go back to Wind Gap, so I also think a lot of the "weirdness" is just her being uncomfortable her hometown (sort of how Danny mentioned we're seeing things through her drunk eyes).

I've really been enjoying seeing the book adapted. I've been tempted to respond to some comments where y'all are getting confused just to provide some background, but I don't want anything to come off as spoilers.

The book REALLY grabbed my attention about halfway through, so I hope the show follows that same momentum.
PooDoo
AG
Man, this show is weird and sad...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.