Jokes/visual gags you may not notice at first, background jokes, etc

16,058 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Raptor
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Or when his band is auditioning for the dance and Marty is rocking out to a version of "Power of Love", the dude that tells them they're too loud is Huey Lewis himself.
How is this one in any way "hidden"?

You're gonna get on to me about this but let the folks oblivious to the Twin Pines/Lone Pine Mall go?? It was literally a big bright sign in the middle of the night. It was THE first thing Marty changed when he went back in time. It could not have been made more obvious. Tell how THAT was "hidden" in any way, shape, or form!!
mandevilleag
This makes me feel a little old, but in the '80's you couldn't turn on MTV without seeing Huey Lewis and the News. For us olds that saw BTTF when it came out, we all knew it was Huey Lewis.
MooreTrucker
AG
And one of the things I noticed right off in BttF was the Twin Pines/Lone Pine thing. VERY obvious.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Or when his band is auditioning for the dance and Marty is rocking out to a version of "Power of Love", the dude that tells them they're too loud is Huey Lewis himself.
How is this one in any way "hidden"?

Brock Sampson
AG
heddleston said:

All the foreshadowing in Arrested Development leading up to Buster losing his hand.

"I never thought I'd miss a hand so much" as he finds his hand chair at the maids house.

The Buster hand jokes are my favorite. Also have the literal doctor (he's going to be all right), Bluth family signs, and Tobias being gay.
mhayden
mandevilleag said:

This makes me feel a little old, but in the '80's you couldn't turn on MTV without seeing Huey Lewis and the News. For us olds that saw BTTF when it came out, we all knew it was Huey Lewis.

Yeah, I think that's probably the difference maker -- if you saw it in theaters when it came out you probably knew who it was.

Those of us who didn't come to appreciate the greatness of it until later probably knew who Huey Lewis was, but weren't really paying attention to what was ultimately one of the more boring parts of the movie.

The screencap of the guy hanging off the clock -- that's the first I've actually noticed that but I chalk that up to the first 1,000 times I saw the movie was on a VHS tape and a 22inch CRT.
62strat
AG
free_mhayden said:

Plenty of people know the name Chuck Berry.

Not that many people know what Huey Lewis looked like.
Only about 10 million people bought "Sports" just a year before, which had Huey's face plainly on the cover, and countless millions others saw one of the many videos he had on MTV.

I'm guessing you're young.. youngins don't know the impact that cd covers and mtv videos had! It's all but gone today. Phil Collins could release an album today and no one would know what he looked like hah.

I think I was 7ish when I first saw that.. and I recognized him; my dad had his albums.
gif
fightinags2013 said:

Did Michael Scott eat Pam's Tiramisu??

Also, the episode where Michael works as a telemarketer, his boss Mr Figaro has the "Froggy 101" sticker in his office. You will also see a food menu that is hanging Figaro's office that can later be seen in Daryl's office.

Then in the Prince Paper episode, the father has a coffee cup just like Michaels but it says "worlds best dad". I'm sure there are tons of little things like this throughout the series.
Ronnie
AG
Quote:

"Rick and Morty" is just a takeoff on "Brick and Mortar"

I believe it was an evolution of "Doc and Marty"

I'll leave you to do your own searching of those old Justin Roiland cartoons...
Stupe
S
free_mhayden said:

When the movie came out, everyone in high school knew who Huey Lewis was.
Stupe
S
62strat said:

free_mhayden said:

Only about 10 million people bought "Sports" just a year before, which had Huey's face plainly on the cover, and countless millions others saw one of the many videos he had on MTV.

I'm guessing you're young.. youngins don't know the impact that cd covers and mtv videos had! It's all but gone today. Phil Collins could release an album today and no one would know what he looked like hah.

I think I was 7ish when I first saw that.. and I recognized him; my dad had his albums.
I read that thinking that you were my age until that last sentence.

Then I wanted give you a back-of-the-head slap.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
free_mhayden said:

There was a comedian in the late 80s who used Huey Lewis' appearance in one of his jokes/lines.

"Huey Lewis doesn't look like a rock star does he? I mean, if you were to see him walking down the street, you wouldn't say, 'Oh My God, isn't that a legendary top 40 rock star'? No, you would say, 'Is that a friend of my Dad's?'"

People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
tysker
AG
Stupe said:

free_mhayden said:

When the movie came out, everyone in high school knew who Huey Lewis was.
Sports was the #2 selling album in 1984 after Thriller and had like 3-4 Top 10 hits and associated music videos.
The heads sticking out of the sand from If This is It video still creep me out
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.
62strat
AG
Stupe said:

62strat said:

free_mhayden said:

hah, yeh that's kind of my point, is that even a 7 or 8 year old child recognized him.. There's no doubt most adults knew who he was (those into top 40 music anyway).

I was only 5 when BTTF came out, I doubt I first watched it then. I'm guessing it was a few years later.

I was born early enough to know the impact of mtv videos and album covers had. My dad had a few hundred albums/cds by the late 80s, and I knew all the covers.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
62strat said:

Stupe said:

62strat said:

free_mhayden said:

hah, yeh that's kind of my point, is that even a 7 or 8 year old child recognized him.. There's no doubt most adults knew who he was (those into top 40 music anyway).

I was only 5 when BTTF came out, I doubt I first watched it then. I'm guessing it was a few years later.

I was born early enough to know the impact of mtv videos and album covers had. My dad had a few hundred albums/cds by the late 80s, and I knew all the covers.

I think you're vastly overrating his recognizability. Maybe the majority of young adults knew who he was but folks like my Mom and Dad who grew up in the 40s and 50s and saw the film (and there were a lot of boomers who saw the film for the 50s nostalgia) couldn't have picked Huey Lewis out of a line up. Frankly they probably couldn't have told you who Huey Lewis even WAS in 1985.
Whos Juan
AG
62strat said:

Stupe said:

62strat said:

free_mhayden said:

I didn't even realize it was him until this thread
hurleyag
AG
You're not alone...
JYDog90
AG
It would be like Justin Timberlake in a movie today playing a character while someone plays a Justin Timberlake song. You'd know.

Also, my first week of college as a Fish, Huey Lewis and the News on the Sports Tour at G Rollie White in 1986!
Formerly Willy Wonka
schmendeler
AG
File under "how did you miss that": The first one that came into my head was from just rewatching Deadpool for the first time. The big final fight takes place on what is definitely a helicarrier, though they are in the x men universe, not the avengers/mcu universe.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Airplane! is chock full of visual gags in the background. So much so that it's not unusual for me to notice something every viewing that I missed before. Example of said gag in the background might be

I've always noticed the cows in the background multiple times in Blazing Saddles but never knew if there was any significance other than that's the way Mel rolls.

Dad-O-Lot
AG
There was an episode of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood that was focussed on different kinds of "covers".

The king puppet guy brought out a little 3-legged stool and then handed Mr. Rogers a "stool cover" to put on it.

It was a diaper.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
JJxvi
AG
Never knew that was Huey Lewis until now.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I didn't know that was Huey Lewis until a few years ago and I was one of those 80s/90s kids who watched MTV all day.
mhayden
You guys are making me feel better now.
Stive
AG
Same. Seen the movie a ton, born in the mid 70's and grew up listening to HL and didn't know that was him.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Never knew it was HL until I watched it on Dinner and a Movie on TBS back in the 90s, and they mentioned it.
62strat
AG
What's next, you guys are gonna tell me you didn't notice the Huey Lewis sports poster in Marty's room as well????

tysker
AG
62strat said:

What's next, you guys are gonna tell me you didn't notice the Huey Lewis sports poster in Marty's room as well????

Or that the main riff from HL's Power of Love was the primary music used during Marty's battle of the bands audition...
CubbieAggie
AG
tysker said:

62strat said:

Or that the main riff from HL's Power of Love was the primary music used during Marty's battle of the bands audition...
Or that the dude that tells them they're too loud is Huey Lewis himself
tysker
AG
Did you guys know ZZ Top was the band performing in Back to the Future III?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Frodo was in Part II.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Flea is the dude that gets Marty fired in part 2.
Bottlehead90
AG
Supposedly every episode of Psych has a pineapple or reference to a pineapple.
Sometimes it's obvious, but most times I forget to look for it.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.
Hey Paul!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.