Jokes/visual gags you may not notice at first, background jokes, etc

16,070 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Raptor
walton91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In Christmas Vacation when Clark and Eddie are shopping, Clark puts a single pack of light bulbs on top of their cart just before Eddie slams a huge bag of dog food on top

The Debt
How did you miss that?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've seen Christmas Vacation dozens of times and never noticed that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Not sure if it was ever confirmed but i think after Steve Carrell left the Office he was a bar patron in the trivia game episode. He wasnt credited i dont think.
et98
AG
When Napoleon Dynamite calls home to ask for Kip or his grandma to pick him up early or at least bring him some chapstick, Kip answers and says he's too busy right now. What he's so busy doing is making nachos. Each time the camera cuts back to Kip, he's grated more cheese onto his nachos. By the end of the scene, he has a pile of grated cheese 6-8 inches high on his chips.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Its pretty well known now, but it was a running gag for awhile that Tom Hanks peed in all his movies.
bearamedic99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Its pretty well known now, but it was a running gag for awhile that Tom Hanks peed in all his movies.

what?

edit- nm. i googled it
heddleston
AG
All the foreshadowing in Arrested Development leading up to Buster losing his hand.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
In "Me, Myself, and Irene" when Irene barges into Charlie's hotel room to find him sleeping next to an 8x10 of her mugshot and a bottle of lotion on the dresser, you can see a few watermelon seeds on the pillow and it's never addressed but there's a watermelon in the corner with a hole cut out of it.
MSFC Aggie
AG
walton91 said:

In Christmas Vacation when Clark and Eddie are shopping, Clark puts a single pack of light bulbs on top of their cart just before Eddie slams a huge bag of dog food on top

In Vacation, Clark and Helen are cleaning dishes, but Clark just wipes the dirty plates with a towel and sticks them in the cabinet.
fightinags2013
AG
Did Michael Scott eat Pam's Tiramisu??
GoAgs92
AG
The Janitor in Breakfast club was voted most likely to succeed when he was a student at the school.

The spanish on the blackboard in episodes of south park.

And if you're really not paying attention "Rick and Morty" is just a takeoff on "Brick and Mortar"

ItsA&InotA&M
Young Frankenstein
When Frau Brueker (sp?) is leading Dr Frankenstein's nephew up the castle stairs with candles, she turns and says "Stay close to the candles, the stairs can be treacherous"
The candles are not lit.
Murder Hornet
AG
Mel Brooks and ZAZ movies are full of stuff going on in the background. I don't know if those kind of movies can get made anymore.
Whos Juan
AG
bthomas98 said:

Mel Brooks and ZAZ movies are full of stuff going on in the background. I don't know if those kind of movies can get made anymore.

ZAZ = Zucker Abrahams Zucker?
Murder Hornet
AG
Whos Juan said:

bthomas98 said:

ZAZ = Zucker Abrahams Zucker?
yep
Stupe
S
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably a well known and famous one, but I always got a kick out of the mall changing names in BttF after Marty runs over one of the pines in 1955.

We paid to see that movie again at the theater in high school because one of the guys in our group said he noticed that.

Had to buy him Taco Bell for lunch every Friday for three months because of that bet.
double aught
AG
That's pretty funny.

At least you got a second viewing of BTTF out of the deal.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Stupe said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably a well known and famous one, but I always got a kick out of the mall changing names in BttF after Marty runs over one of the pines in 1955.

We paid to see that movie again at the theater in high school because one of the guys in our group said he noticed that.

Had to buy him Taco Bell for lunch every Friday for three months because of that bet.

Blows me away that people didn't notice this.
Stive
AG
Feel like I've seen the movie a dozen times and never saw it.
Stupe
S
He did.

One of my others friends had to buy his ticket.
double aught
AG
Nicely done on his part.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Stive said:

Again, can't believe it...and it's clear you're not the only one based on the stars your posts get.
It was a pretty big 'gag' in the movie. I saw it at the theater when I was 11 and noticed it....always just seemed obvious to me with Doc pointing out Mr. Peabody breeding pines and the Marty running over one of them.

If you wanna talk about true "hidden" gags in the movie, how about when Marty is in Doc's shop with all the clocks at the beginning of the movie and this clock is shown:
?w=1000

Or when his band is auditioning for the dance and Marty is rocking out to a version of "Power of Love", the dude that tells them they're too loud is Huey Lewis himself.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In Days of Future Past when Mystique rescues the mutants from Vietnam, she's addressed as a colonel and her uniform says Sanders on it.

maxag42
In the tv show, Fringe, one of the episodes show an alternative future and in one of the scenes, a movie theater is shown with one of the headlines captioning,"Back to the future starring Eric Stoltz". In real life, Eric Stoltz was originally supposed to be Marty McFly before Michael J. Fox replaced him.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Okay, I've seen Arrested Development about a dozen times, but I just caught this one today:

When the Bluths pick up Rita in the mobile cabin and GOB ends up roofying her and they leave her on a bench advertising Wee Britain, when she wakes up, this is what you see:

...which is absolutely hilarious as it's foreshadowing Rita's condition ("Mr. F!")
Brick Tamland
In Man of Steel, Zod throws Superman against a sign that says "106 Days without Incident", and when he hits it it changes to "0 Days without Incident.
Furlock Bones
AG
maxag42 said:

In the tv show, Fringe, one of the episodes show an alternative future and in one of the scenes, a movie theater is shown with one of the headlines captioning,"Back to the future starring Eric Stoltz". In real life, Eric Stoltz was originally supposed to be Marty McFly before Michael J. Fox replaced him.
now that's awesome.
mandevilleag
The number cats tortured/killed in The Holy Grail background scenes always gives me a chuckle. Whether it's beating rugs with cats or running them over with trojan rabbits, they seem to find a way to place a maimed cat in the scene.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Or when his band is auditioning for the dance and Marty is rocking out to a version of "Power of Love", the dude that tells them they're too loud is Huey Lewis himself.
How is this one in any way "hidden"?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
I think it's an obvious one, but Bob Loblaw in Arrested Development gets me everytime.

NoahAg
Yelnick McWawa said:

Stive said:

Again, can't believe it...and it's clear you're not the only one based on the stars your posts get.
It was a pretty big 'gag' in the movie. I saw it at the theater when I was 11 and noticed it....always just seemed obvious to me with Doc pointing out Mr. Peabody breeding pines and the Marty running over one of them.

If you wanna talk about true "hidden" gags in the movie, how about when Marty is in Doc's shop with all the clocks at the beginning of the movie and this clock is shown:
?w=1000

Mind blown on all of this.
MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

How is this one in any way "hidden"?
62strat
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Stive said:

?w=1000

That's about as much hidden as when Marvin Berry calls his cousin 'chuck' and says this is the sound you're looking for, while marty is playing a chuck berry song.
mhayden
Plenty of people know the name Chuck Berry.

Not that many people know what Huey Lewis looked like.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.