***READY PLAYER ONE - SPOILERS INSIDE***

21,477 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Al Bula
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tamusc said:

Saw it today in 3D. Thought it was one of the best 3D conversions I've seen.

I've read the book a number of times and have really enjoyed it every time.

I enjoyed the movie, but left feeling underwhelmed, which I think was unavoidable. This wasn't anything like the disappointment in an adaptation like Ender's Game was. I enjoyed some of the changes from the book and the nods to the parts that were left out.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, I think it was a little too dumbed down and things like motivation and the setting suffered.

I do think it's a movie will improve with repeated viewing as I try to catch all the references.

This. The drive home felt less real than the movie in 3d.
Philip J Fry
AG
matches08 said:

I understand the good nature and meaning behind closing the Oasis two times a week but that is incredibly narrow minded. Oasis drives the economy. I felt like them doing that also kind of took away some of the importance of the Oasis that already wasn't explained if you didn't read the books.
Still enjoyed the movie though

Another example of how it missed the mark in regards to the book. Public schools now run off the OASIS. It's as big of a part of people's lives as cars are today. You can't just turn it off.
Pro Ag
AG
Trident 88 said:

I give the movie a thumbs up if you haven't read the book, and thumbs down if you have.

Did anyone figure out what Halladay was in the game, since he wasn't an avatar? Apologies if this question has already been answered.

I forgot about that until you asked about it. In the moment, I guessed he was either hard coded into the Oasis or was some sort of creation of the Oasis. I immediately forgot about it though, so maybe it wasn't something to figure out.
Cromagnum
AG
They completely changed I-R0Ks character from the book (double-crossing pissant to the griefer from South Park WoW episode). I thought it was hilarious that they got TJ Miller to voice him. Very fitting.
Yoda
AG
AGinHI said:

Not sure if this is pathetic, me being a fanboy, or just good memory, but I immediately recognized the sound of the Aliens pulse rifle.

The moment she conjured it up during that dance club battle, I recognized what I was looking at before she fired. Sound just confirmed it. Huge grin.

Perfection would have been a blow torch duct taped to the pulse rifle.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Ag Since 83
AG
Looks like $53M domestic and around $181M worldwide. It will be interested to see what word of mouth does to this movie next week
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was tracking at $40M before release, so the good news is that it's overperforming its expectations. And it looks like Saturday waa up from Friday, so word of mouth is likely strong.
BassCowboy33
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was tracking at $40M before release, so the good news is that it's overperforming its expectations. And it looks like Saturday waa up from Friday, so word of mouth is likely strong.

It's slaughtering in China, where they eat these kind of movies up. Saw an article early today saying that China could make RP1 $300-$500 million.
LeonardSkinner
Just got out. Enjoyed it, even for its imperfections, and multiple (but mostly understandable) changes from the book.

But I think we're avoiding the important question.... What would your Oasis avatar be?

Not sure about my look, but I'm definitely driving ZZ Top's 1933 Ford Coupe; and yes, it would be the spaceship as well.
Scotty Flamingo
LeonardSkinner said:

But I think we're avoiding the important question.... What would your Oasis avatar be?

Hank Hill
Scotty Flamingo
But seriously, I'd probably Goku
fig96
AG
Non book reader here and I thought the movie was a blast. Yes, dialogue was a bit weak in places and some of the characters needed to be more developed, but no one creates that sense of adventure like Spielberg.

It just had that epic adventure vibe with end to end action, the set pieces were awesome and there was enough story to keep things connected. Also loved the 80s callbacks, just a fun ride overall.
AGinHI
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Just got out. Enjoyed it, even for its imperfections, and multiple (but mostly understandable) changes from the book.

Not sure about my look, but I'm definitely driving ZZ Top's 1933 Ford Coupe; and yes, it would be the spaceship as well.

Car: yellow Interceptor
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Sea Pony 07
AG
Just finished watching it. I really liked it, thought it stayed true to the soul of the book. One of the few movies i think that need to be seen in 3d on the biggest screne you can find. Will watch again because i missed so much the first time.
Rudyjax
AG

Car: You know it.
Born
One thing from the comments section of the very first trailer for RP2 on Youtube..

The property rights/copyrights for every thing referenced in the book was going to be a licensing nightmare.

Remember, some of the movie right, video games, board games, even D&D stuff has changed ownership several times since they came out. One reference I saw said that a couple or 3 of the original Japanese games had passed through 7 or 8 owners.

In the end, Speilberg consulted with Cline and they worked out how stay more or less true to the story but use different approaches, Example are the key quests and gates.

Also, Wizards of the Coast was apparently being a dick about using any D&D references.. so there is that.

Have not seen it as yet. plan to this next week.
Sometimes in the course of engineering, you have to raise the Skull and Crossbones and start slitting throats!!
Swarely
LeonardSkinner said:

Drizzt Do'urden

Car:
General Lee
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fierce Deity Link

Car:
AgLaw
AG
Never read the book (might now, though). Thought the movie was fun as hell.
Rudyjax
AG
AgLaw said:

You will love it
hunter2012
AG
I liked it better than the book, got the soul right but was way less preachy about social stuff. My only complaint was I liked the book scenario better with Wade and Artemis, the whole character growth is about him finding something to anchor in the real world. Here it seems like they met IRL at the beginning of the second act. That being said, awesome movie and I will recommend it to my friends.

Also being a child of the 90s/00s I caught way more references than I did reading the book. So for it being "Easter Egg the Movie" I prefered this one.

My avatar and weapon of choice:

My car:
FL_Ag1998
AG
Quote:

Also being a child of the 90s/00s I caught way more references than I did reading the book. So for it being "Easter Egg the Movie" I prefered this one.

I think that was part of my issue with this movie as well. The book was clearly focused on the 80's, but the movie of course broadened it's scope to include way more than that so they could appeal to a wider audience.

I don't know....I'm a child of the 80's so I liked the book a lot in part because of it's references. So by loosing a lot of the 80s references and completely changing all of the challenges, I feel let down by the movie and feel like it became just a standard cliche action movie. Actually, I don't even feel like it was up to standards that Spielberg himself set in previous movies like Minority Report or Jurassic Park.
FL_Ag1998
AG
AgLaw said:

Be aware though, book is nothing like the movie.
Rudyjax
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

AgLaw said:

Be aware though, book is nothing like the movie.

That's a stretch. The book is very different.
Duncan Idaho
It was ok. Not bad. Not great. I understand why they made the changes they made but the tweet about "oh noes if they win, it is pop ups for ever" was spot on.

And even for a movie built around nostalgia and fan service there were too many references laying around. It ended up being distracting
LeonardSkinner
I think I figured it out. Commander Shepard.
Joe Exotic
AG
I loved the book but I knew there would be changes. There had to be to make it work for the screen. Overall I felt it stayed true to the story. It was nothing like the absurdity that was World War Z where the title was pretty much the only thing it had in common with the book.
maverick2076
Car: The Fall Guy's truck
hurleyag
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Madmartigan
BassCowboy33
Kenny Omega said:

LeonardSkinner said:

Hank Hill
Bill Paxton from Aliens.
BassCowboy33
Duncan Idaho said:

It was ok. Not bad. Not great. I understand why they made the changes they made but the tweet about "oh noes if they win, it is pop ups for ever" was spot on.

And even for a movie built around nostalgia and fan service there were too many references laying around. It ended up being distracting
I did love the line, "We estimate that we can fill 80% of the screen with ads before people start having seizures."

wangus12
AG
I'd probably go with Commander Shepard as well.

Car would be either the Batmobile or the Warthog from Halo
Hagen95
AG
Vehicle: A Team Van
Pro Ag
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I did love the line, "We estimate that we can fill 80% of the screen with ads before people start having seizures."

I thought that line was funny too. I think it being funny took away from the fact that they consider loyalty centers big money drivers as well. That line conveyed more about them being an evil corporation.
Swarely
Also, why- if you had an artifact that would turn you into any robot- and you knew you were going to fight Mecha Godzilla- would you choose Gundam?
I accidentally clicked the signature button.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.