***READY PLAYER ONE - SPOILERS INSIDE***

21,393 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Al Bula
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Did anybody else notice the "re-elect mayor Goldie Wilson" poster. For whatever reason that put a huge smile on my face.
I was cheesin' so hard when I saw that.
Rule Number 32
AG
Swarely said:

Also, why- if you had an artifact that would turn you into any robot- and you knew you were going to fight Mecha Godzilla- would you choose Gundam?
It doesnt turn you into any robot you want. It turns you into a specific robot. In the book, it turned him into Ultraman after Z, Daito, and Shoto did a legendary quest together earlier in the story. It gave them the Ultraman beta capsule that allowed him to turn into Ultraman for 3 minutes. They couldnt get rights to Ultraman (or maybe he was just too obscure for most Americans - myself included) so they went with a Gundam instead.
Swarely
Rule Number 32 said:

Swarely said:

Also, why- if you had an artifact that would turn you into any robot- and you knew you were going to fight Mecha Godzilla- would you choose Gundam?
It doesnt turn you into any robot you want. It turns you into a specific robot. In the book, it turned him into Ultraman after Z, Daito, and Shoto did a legendary quest together earlier in the story. It gave them the Ultraman beta capsule that allowed him to turn into Ultraman for 3 minutes. They couldnt get rights to Ultraman (or maybe he was just too obscure for most Americans - myself included) so they went with a Gundam instead.

Yea, in the book. In the movie they said that it would turn you into any robot you want. He even said "I choose the form of Gundam!" In the movie.
I accidentally clicked the signature button.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shoulda been Megazord.
KidDoc
AG
Avatar: Strider/Aragorn (technically not 80's but still had a huge influence since it was written)
Car: Kitt- I can't help it I loved Knight Rider
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Progress is his middle name.

Oh and

Car: the Delorean, if I can't have that one, Blue Thunder, can I have a helicopter?
GrapevineAg
AG
I didn't read the book, but I just saw the movie last night with my wife and son. I thought it was very entertaining. Afterward, I immediately went to the official website to see if there would be some kind of easter egg hunt. Looks like there might be. readyplayeronemovie.com has a link to jointhequest.io which has multiple videos, images, and games. In one of the images (see below), there's some binary/ASCII code on the right-hand edge that decrypts and descrambles to read "NEVER DIE!" Also found some QR codes but haven't been able to get successful scans of them yet. There's a video that has some arrangements of "stars" or pixels that look like they could be grilles for pulling words out of text (perhaps from one of the other images on the page).

Has anybody worked on this stuff? Want to?

Duncan Idaho
Cline had a hunt with the book and gave his delorean as the prize.

GrapevineAg
AG
Interesting. Looks like I'm late to the game.
nai06
AG
GrapevineAg said:

I didn't read the book, but I just saw the movie last night with my wife and son. I thought it was very entertaining. Afterward, I immediately went to the official website to see if there would be some kind of easter egg hunt. Looks like there might be. readyplayeronemovie.com has a link to jointhequest.io which has multiple videos, images, and games. In one of the images (see below), there's some binary/ASCII code on the right-hand edge that decrypts and descrambles to read "NEVER DIE!" Also found some QR codes but haven't been able to get successful scans of them yet. There's a video that has some arrangements of "stars" or pixels that look like they could be grilles for pulling words out of text (perhaps from one of the other images on the page).

Has anybody worked on this stuff? Want to?

I did the one in the book but could never complete the final challenge
fig96
AG

MW03
AG
?v=1517869750
FTACO97
AG
Absolutely loved it. Great nods to my childhood. Have not read the book, but now I probably will! Getting a kick out of all the negative reviews in here. You guys must be a blast to go to the movies with.

Also find it funny all the complaints about how the movie was terrible compared to the book, like individuals who have no connection with the book sought to change as much as they could, since the co-writer of the film is the author of the book.
nai06
AG
FTACO97 said:

Absolutely loved it. Great nods to my childhood. Have not read the book, but now I probably will! Getting a kick out of all the negative reviews in here. You guys must be a blast to go to the movies with.

Also find it funny all the complaints about how the movie was terrible compared to the book, like individuals who have no connection with the book sought to change as much as they could, since the co-writer of the film is the author of the book.

Read the book and then let us know what you think. The movie was in the same spirit as the book but like another poster said it was about 30% source material. Also I really don't think Cline is a strong writer in general which also shows.
FL_Ag1998
AG
FTACO97 said:

Dumb statements.

Since we were disappointed in one movie because it was extremely different from its source material, that somehow implies we're "no fun to go to the movies with"?

And yeah, actually its obvious the writers (Cline included) did actively seek to change a lot of plotline from the book - to appeal to a wider audience than just "80's kids", to make the movie more action-packed and exciting for the non-book reader audience member, and because a lot of the book references were very obscure.

You liked the movie, good for you. I thought it was an average "action movie", oh well.
Trident 88
AG
I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't read the book and thinks the movie could be fun.

Then, I would recommend that they read the book.

Then, if they thought the movie was better, I would suspect that they probably don't like to read very much and don't have a very strong imagination.
DB Coach
AG
Trident 88 said:

I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't read the book and thinks the movie could be fun.

Then, I would recommend that they read the book.

Then, if they thought the movie was better, I would suspect that they probably don't like to read very much and don't have a very strong imagination.
This is exactly what I told my best friend the other day. And he loved the movie and all the 80s-90s references.
captkirk
AG
Read the book and liked the movie. Would it have been better if the importance of controlling the Oasis had been better fleshed out? Yes.
FTACO97
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

FTACO97 said:

Dumb statements.

Since we were disappointed in one movie because it was extremely different from its source material, that somehow implies we're "no fun to go to the movies with"?

And yeah, actually its obvious the writers (Cline included) did actively seek to change a lot of plotline from the book - to appeal to a wider audience than just "80's kids", to make the movie more action-packed and exciting for the non-book reader audience member, and because a lot of the book references were very obscure.

You liked the movie, good for you. I thought it was an average "action movie", oh well.
Maybe my "dumb statements" weren't aimed at you? If you thought it was "an average action movie" then you have a higher opinion of it than some of the comments in here. Some comments are saying it's a bad film and don't understand the point to the story.
double aught
AG
Well I really enjoyed it and also love the book. I tried to go in with an open mind and tried to treat them as separate things.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I finally watched the movie last night and was pretty underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting it to be awesome like the book was and had looked forward to the movie so long that it would have been hard to live up to my lofty expectations. That being said...I still enjoyed it but probably won't watch again until it's free on Netflix next year.

Random observations..
1. I wish they had shown Wade's school in the Oasis and how huge wining that first key was for his life.
2. They missed a good opportunity for a Rocky montage when he went from being a fat nerd to an in shape nerd with his new VR suit.
3. The characters being so close together IRL was kinda lame.
4. I really wish they had him playing Joust against that monster (I can't remember what it was)...that whole exchange in the book was fun
Duncan Idaho
Threads montage would have fit perfectly with the nostalgia of the movie
KidDoc
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I finally watched the movie last night and was pretty underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting it to be awesome like the book was and had looked forward to the movie so long that it would have been hard to live up to my lofty expectations. That being said...I still enjoyed it but probably won't watch again until it's free on Netflix next year.

Random observations..
1. I wish they had shown Wade's school in the Oasis and how huge wining that first key was for his life.
2. They missed a good opportunity for a Rocky montage when he went from being a fat nerd to an in shape nerd with his new VR suit.
3. The characters being so close together IRL was kinda lame.
4. I really wish they had him playing Joust against that monster (I can't remember what it was)...that whole exchange in the book was fun
The Lich (skeletal wizard)!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We went last night and all enjoyed. I was the only one that read the book. I was ok with the changes but some of the nods to the book were lazy and confusing. It's almost like they cut the scenes where they were explained. The example that comes to mind is when Sorrento is telling Wade he'd change all of their schools on Ludus to schools from John Hughes movies. I suppose you could guess, but someone that didn't read the book has no idea that Wade literally attends high school in the Oasis and has to keep his grades up to keep his spot and free access point (forgive me I forgot exactly what it was called). To me either flesh out the references or leave them alone but that's a minor gripe.

As was mentioned earlier, I would have preferred Ogg to be a bigger part but also relatively minor.
Bunk Moreland
Haven't read anyone's post on here but just got out.

Im a book reader. I liked it enough and was ok with the changes they had to make to tell the story. The Oasis was badass. Loved almost all of that.

What bothered me was it felt like every scene in the movie was shot in 2 different ways... One to be on the edgy side of pg13 and also on the childish side of pg13. Then when editing the movie they grabbed a little from both. I never felt drawn into the very real and serious ramifications of IOI getting the egg because each time they got serious, they'd then do something juvenile. They should have decided to be one or the other and stuck with it.

Also, the actress who plays Aech is just not a good actress. She's funny enough in Master of None but struggles on that show. As soon as I heard her voice and realized who she was going to be, I knew there'd be some horribly delivered lines from Aech... And there were.

Still fun enough but felt too basic. Parzival and Art3mis were well cast. Thought they both did good.
Fairview
AG
I know it's not good for Hollywood but I would've loved for them to look like the characters in the book. Aech be a heavy black girl, Art3mis be way more curvy, Diato have long hair and be pimple covered, etc. Even as someone mentioned have Wade start heavy and do an 80's style montage of him getting fit.
G Martin 87
AG
G-Force!

My avatar would be Derek Wildstar.
israeliag
AG
fig96 said:

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I caught Spawn a couple of times (once with and once without a cape)
Quincey P. Morris
AG
israeliag said:

fig96 said:

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I caught Spawn a couple of times (once with and once without a cape)
Spawn was definitely in there. And obviously Goro. Didn't see if there were any other Mortal Kombat characters.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Honest question......I'm not understanding all of the "I totally understand all of the changes they had to make for the movie" statements. If you're saying that because they couldnt get the rights for some of the 80's references in the book, then OK, sure.

But if you mean rather that they had to spice up the challenges compared to their depiction in the book....why? I felt like they could have filmed the book as is and it would have been much, much better than the product that ended up on the screen.
Bunk Moreland
I more meant the way they presented the main characters to us. From what they looked like to also introducing them together physically in reality much earlier on. Instead of an apartment in Columbus, Wade is with Artemis and then Aech. That stuff.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I more meant the way they presented the main characters to us. From what they looked like to also introducing them together physically in reality much earlier on. Instead of an apartment in Columbus, Wade is with Artemis and then Aech. That stuff.

Oh, I agree with your review above. The movie removed any parts of the book that provided reasons to get to know and care about the protagonists. But it also took out the uniqueness of the challenges and made it very generic.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I agree with you there.
AGinHI
AG
G Martin 87 said:

G-Force!

My avatar would be Derek Wildstar.
Star Blazers!
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Rocagnante
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Oh, I agree with your review above. The movie removed any parts of the book that provided reasons to get to know and care about the protagonists. But it also took out the uniqueness of the challenges and made it very generic.

I don't think the book challenges would translate well to big screen (i.e. watching them play Joust). Personally I would have enjoyed it but I understand why the larger audience probably would not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.