***READY PLAYER ONE - SPOILERS INSIDE***

21,272 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Al Bula
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$566MM and counting ($175MM budget). This thing is killing overseas.
Phat32
AG
maxag42 said:

Words cannot describe how disappointed I am in this movie adaptation of the book. They had a real chance to knock it out of the park with this movie. I know, I know.......movies are not faithful to the novels most of the time. However, with this one, this had a chance to be one of Steven Spielberg's best films and pay homage to his early movies that made everything fun about going to the theatres. It's kinda ironic since when I heard he was announced to head this project, I thought there was no other better person to do this book justice and beyond. Guess he lost his touch.

Only thing I liked about it.........

Obviously the shining scene. That was fun to watch even though it wasn't included in the book. The details and meshing of the characters into the layout of the overlook hotel was fun and impressive. That's all I can say about it.

Stuff they didn't include that was the best parts of the book......
The joust king contest.
The war games video game.
Wade hacking into the IOI mainframe as an imprisoned employee at the headquarters building.
Pac-Man arcade game and the significant of that.

Heck everything. There was more than enough content to create a beautiful narrative of the RP1 universe and the characters and stick faithfully to the novel.

Short summary for the TL;DR crowd.......
The movie sucked. Book was better. The shining was fun.

Finally saw this and totally agree. Very disappointed.
TyHolden
AG
movie was great - only read book once. i hear they are working on sequel.
Dro07
AG
Ya ready player two. He is also writing a new book called up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A start.
MaroonStain
AG
I couldn't help myself and got the bundle pack on my PS4 (don't do this BTW, use Amazon). I have not read the book, liked the movie but felt something(s) were missing. An Oasis type setting is definitely in this planet's near future. I also need to watch 'Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai.'
rynning
AG
I finally saw this the other day. At first I thought that the Nolan Sorrento character (the "villain") was being played by Paul Gleason, the "villain" from the Breakfast Club. Anyone else?

Then I realized why this movie didn't work for me. I think Nolan Sorrento character just wasn't serious enough or mean enough or scary enough compared to the book. Maybe it was his "funny" sidekick that made him seem too cartoonish. (I don't remember a funny sidekick in the book, but it's been a while.) Fixing that character alone would bring this movie up a notch or two, in my opinion.
Farmer1906
AG
I finally got around to seeing this.

I 100% agree with previous posters that said it was targeted for middle school aged people. It felt like it was straight out the 90s. Super cheesy all around. Everything felt so underdeveloped too. Very disappointing.
mhayden
Maybe I need to go back and re-read the book. What I read was entertaining, but very much "Young Adult" fare... So hard for me to understand those upset with lack of substance from the movie.
Furlock Bones
AG
finally saw the movie. holy crap. what a stinking pile that was. literally none of it made any sense.
Muy
AG
I rented this thinking so many loved the book. Absolutely terrible movie.
Jim01
AG
I watched it a couple weeks ago and actually enjoyed it. It was a popcorn flic and nothing more but a hell of a fun ride I thought. I wasn't expecting an Oscar movie or anything.
bearamedic99
AG
Not quite an Oscar but some of us saw Stephen Spielberg attached and expected more
Philo B 93
Ernest Cline's stock in the entertainment world has got to be in rough shape. His Spielberg movie missed the target based on the source material and director. And his follow-up book was widely and vigorously panned. He needs a hit soon or else he buys property in irrelevance-ville.
bearamedic99
AG
he's following the M. Night Shyamalan gameplan
double aught
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Ernest Cline's stock in the entertainment world has got to be in rough shape. His Spielberg movie missed the target based on the source material and director. And his follow-up book was widely and vigorously panned. He needs a hit soon or else he buys property in irrelevance-ville.
No pressure!
Tanya 93
My 10 year old read the book at school. He loved it.

I love the book as well.

Would it be an acceptable Redbox or an Amazon stream for him?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Oh yeah, no problem for a 10 year old unless you're really uptight. My 9 year old liked the movie ( I was disappointed because I was a book reader first.)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Tanya 93 said:

My 10 year old read the book at school. He loved it.

I love the book as well.

Would it be an acceptable Redbox or an Amazon stream for him?
Should not be a problem. There is some very good recreations of some sequences from the original version of The Shining but nothing particularly scary.
MookieBlaylock
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Not quite an Oscar but some of us saw Stephen Spielberg attached and expected more

I was not one of those he lost me when he turned Saving Private Ryan into an episode of the A team

Love the book so much
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Ernest Cline is a very sub par writer. He had one gimmick with Ready Player One that he just kept going to, nostalgia. It was like the " 'member berries" of south park. "Member Buckaroo Bonzai? I 'member". His characters were one dimensional, his strong female character turned into a fan fiction ditz by the third act. The whole thing actually read like slightly above average fan fiction. Ernest Cline is basically Dan Brown, but instead of random art history, Cline specializes in nerd culture. It is no shock that without his nostalgia gimmick, his subsequent book faired poorly with critics.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PatAg
AG
Super late to this thread, but I wish this had been done in a mini-series, maybe 6-8 episodes or something on HBO. Still enjoyed it, but definitely fell way short of the feel of the books
Al Bula
AG
Finally caught up and watched this. It was entertaining but juvenile. Hope to watch it with my son in a few years.

Plot hole. How did IOI not detect Wade was using one of their suits?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.