Theater attendance 24-year low

13,846 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DSAg44 said:

When will we have Swedish massage theatres?

What happens when the movie doesn't have a happy ending?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
West Point Aggie said:

I've been to 5 movies since 2009

Star Trek x3
Star Wars ep VII
Alien Covenant

The statistic in OP makes sense to me...the theater is the opposite of magical to me...obnoxious loud kids, people on their phones and way over priced...
You go to a crappy theater in a bad area....

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Going to the movies as a teen just isn't a "thing" like it used to be. It wasn't unusual for the average teenager when I was a teenager in the early 90s to go see a movie every week or two at least...every month at the very very least. I'd estimate 15-20 movies a year on average per teenager..and some watched considerably more than that.
Right there with ya. Watching my nephews and nieces at those ages, movie theaters and record stores weren't nearly as important to them. Vidya games, home internet and Netflix were probably part of that. Along with much more structured "free time." Their parents didn't drop them off at the strip mall or tell them to "go do something," I suppose. The chart in the OP reflects that observation in a pretty clear dropoff. What's curious to me is why our generation saw such a rise in attendance.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I can probably count on one hand the number of times a person's cell phone has been a distraction or some parent brought way too young kids to the movie. Of course teens talk during the movie, but that's always been the case.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The peak year was 2002 and had a Star Wars movie, a LotR movie, and a Harry Potter movie. I think that's the only year that's happened. 2002 was also the birth of the modern superhero movie with the first Spider-Man.
dreyOO
Movies are overpriced relative to the value ppl get from on demand content.

As soon as they drop their prices, attendance will increase. This also means they'll need to be more efficient in making movies, reduce costs, and they may even stop betting so huge on blockbusters.

I imagine there are plenty of good writers left that can tell a story without millions of dollars of CGI or over paid actors. I look forward to more of those movies getting made.
fig96
AG
dreyOO said:

Movies are overpriced relative to the value ppl get from on demand content.

As soon as they drop their prices, attendance will increase. This also means they'll need to be more efficient in making movies, reduce costs, and they may even stop betting so huge on blockbusters.

I imagine there are plenty of good writers left that can tell a story without millions of dollars of CGI or over paid actors. I look forward to more of those movies getting made.
They are getting made....they're just tv shows on Netflix and Hulu.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely my favorite year when I think of my teenage moviegoing life.

Though 2003 was also solid with ROTK, Matrix Reloaded, Kill Bill, and X2.
jokershady
AG
Those movies also made the top 4 in revenue for world wide release.

Two Towers was #1 I believe with over 800 million in pretty sure
FtBendTxAg
AG
Me and my wife seem to make it to about 2 movies a quarter. Still pretty interested in the experience due to the renovated theaters and assigned seating.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

They are getting made....they're just tv shows on Netflix and Hulu.

This. Except I was going to say on AMC and HBO and Showtime.
wesag
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I can probably count on one hand the number of times a person's cell phone has been a distraction or some parent brought way too young kids to the movie. Of course teens talk during the movie, but that's always been the case.

It has never happened to us. Not one time have we really ever noticed anybody.
wesag
AG
West Point Aggie said:

I've been to 5 movies since 2009

Star Trek x3
Star Wars ep VII
Alien Covenant

The statistic in OP makes sense to me...the theater is the opposite of magical to me...obnoxious loud kids, people on their phones and way over priced...

The theater is badass.
Al Bula
AG
Good lord. If you want to go see a movie, go. Plenty of us choose to spend time on other things.

The pro theater dorks remind me of this:

WHO? WHO doesn't want to go to a movie theater.

Velvet Jones
AG
wesag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

It has never happened to us. Not one time have we really ever noticed anybody.
Has it ever occurred to you that YOU might be the people many of us choose to avoid?

Not saying you are, but if you've NEVER noticed any annoying behavior in a movie theater, a long look in the mirror might be in order.
schmendeler
AG
if anything, the theater experience is getting better. better seats, fewer seats, reserve your seat ahead of time, and across the board they are getting serious about policing people that interrupt your enjoyment.

I suspect the reason attendance is down is that theaters are going to fewer seats in the theaters. those nice luxe recliners take up a lot more space.
Wicked Good Ag
With my movie pass I will single handedily bring the graph back to its all time glory.

I love seeing movies in the big screen and with me working nights frequently I can occasionally see a movie during the day especially this month with more time off. I expect to see about 8-10 movies in January because of the movie pass and the fact that I missed some early.
schmendeler
AG
we got my BiL the movie pass for Christmas. he's seen a movie every day since he got the card in the mail, except for this past tues and wed when Houston turned into a popsicle and shut down.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

Along with much more structured "free time." Their parents didn't drop them off at the strip mall or tell them to "go do something," I suppose.
When I was a pre-teen, my mother would drop me off at the mall...but she'd have to buy my movie ticket to the R-rated movie first. 100% of the time, she had no clue what movie I was going to see before we got to the ticket booth.

"One ticket for......what was it? Predator? One ticket for Predator, please." I'm sure she bought me countless tickets to horror movies in the 80's. After buying me the ticket, she'd hand it to me and say something like "that movie sounds terrible."

I loved my Mom.
schmendeler
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

Along with much more structured "free time." Their parents didn't drop them off at the strip mall or tell them to "go do something," I suppose.
When I was a pre-teen, my mother would drop me off at the mall...but she'd have to buy my movie ticket to the R-rated movie first. 100% of the time, she had no clue what movie I was going to see before we got to the ticket booth.

"One ticket for......what was it? Predator? One ticket for Predator, please." I'm sure she bought me countless tickets to horror movies in the 80's. After buying me the ticket, she'd hand it to me and say something like "that movie sounds terrible."

I loved my Mom.
so... what was mom doing while you were seeing movies that were inappropriate for you?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I know there have been obnoxious folks in theaters that I have been in over the years ...

the only two that I can actually recall specifics of was a toddler who started crying during the previews attached to The Avengers. The particular preview was for Prometheus, which featured this screeching sound first heard during the trailer of the original Alien movie. It's not a great sound.

The other was far more memorable. I was actually watching the movie Titanic in the theater (what can I say, I really enjoyed watching that big ship sink and all those people fall off it, especially the guy who hits the prop and cartwheels into the water). At some point during the movie, some jackwad got a freaking phone call on his nearly brick-sized cell phone. He at least considered how much of a rude sack of goo he was by actually answering that call during a movie where telephones were not part of that world (other than having been invented, if I have my history correct), by walking down the stairs to exit the auditorium. But of course he was chatting away as he walked from the top of the auditorium down those stairs.

There've been crying babies, kids with ants in their pants, talkative folks, and many instances of people checking iPhones. Mostly I just ignore that crappy behavior.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Oh yeah. Remember when experts were warning parents that the "shoot 'em up" movies were going to turn us all into psychopaths? But they'd buy the tickets anyway to keep us occupied for a couple hours.
FincAg
AG
Quote:

Sept
It
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
The LEGO Ninjago Movie
American Made
American Assassin

Oct
Blade Runner 2049
Happy Death Day
Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
Jigsaw
The Foreigner

Nov
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League
Coco
Wonder
Daddy's Home 2

Dec

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
The Greatest Showman
Pitch Perfect 3
Ferdinand
I think the problem with your list of movies is

Sept
remake
squeal
just another Lego movie
oh Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise
bad video game movie

Oct
sequel
interesting twist on Groundhog Day
just another Tyler Perry Madea movie
just Saw 8
Jackie Chan still acts?

Nov
Marvel comics
DC comics
Pixar's version of Reel FX's Book of Life
1985's Mask with a younger kid
sequel

Dec
sequel
sequel/remake
musical (but I'll admit it looks fun)
sequel
heart felt, finding yourself, kids movie
CDub06
AG
I think the issue is our attention spans. I've been to one movie in the last year. ADHD doesn't play well in the movie theatre. And it's getting worse.
Madmarttigan
AG
Has anyone correlated attendance with movie ticket pricing. To go at peak times inside the city can approach 15-20 bucks a ticket and is pretty ridiculous. People don't feel like going to as many movies at that price.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

Frok said:

I stopped going because I have young kids and no time.

Unfortunately having young kids doesn't stop some couples from going to the theater.

Having young kids made me go to MORE movies........ to get out and get a break.

It's called a babysitter - although I was lucky we had free g'parent babysitting nearly every Sat night for about 13 years. What a blessing that was.

When my wife's mother passed the kid were old enough to stay home alone. Although we did not go out as much any more.
MW03
AG
I wonder what it would look like if movies were ticketed at different prices by title
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tv1113 said:

Has anyone correlated attendance with movie ticket pricing. To go at peak times inside the city can approach 15-20 bucks a ticket and is pretty ridiculous. People don't feel like going to as many movies at that price.

little correlation....ticket prices were going up and up during that phase of growth in viewers too.... although yes there seems ot be more increase from the mid 00's on.

Year Avg. Price
2018 Est.$9.18
2017 $8.97
2016 $8.65
2015 $8.43
2014 $8.17
2013 $8.13
2012 $7.96
2011 $7.93
2010 $7.89
2009 $7.50
2008 $7.18
2007 $6.88
2006 $6.55
2005 $6.41
2004 $6.21
2003 $6.03
2002 $5.81
2001 $5.66
2000 $5.39
1999 $5.08
1998 $4.69
1997 $4.59
1996 $4.42
1995 $4.35
1994 $4.18
1993 $4.14
1992 $4.15
1991 $4.21
1990 $4.23
1989 $3.97
1988 $4.11
1987 $3.91
1986 $3.71
1985 $3.55
1984 $3.36
1983 $3.15
1982 $2.94
1981 $2.78
1980 $2.69
1979 $2.51
1978 $2.34
1977 $2.23
FTACO97
AG
This is a good example of how MoviePass may actually help theaters. I know Studio Movie Grill actually was helped by it and has expressed their thanks. The theaters make their money off concessions, not really from the ticket sales.

For me, going to the movies has always been a fun event that my parents and I did as I was growing up. I still enjoy going now, especially for the big action films each year. My parents also still go to the theater about once a week. I have a home theater setup at home with recliners and the whole nine yards, but I still prefer to see the big action films on the big screen when they first come out. Especially screens like the Cinemark XD. Now that my wife and I have the MoviePass, our movie viewing will increase much more.

As for Alamo Drafthouse, for me personally all the ones near me in Cypress/Katy are converted old theaters and the screen and projector quality suffer as well as being a long skinny room with a fairly small screen along with uncomfortable seating. My new favorite is Star Cinema Grill that just opened about a mile from my house and their screens and projectors and audio setups are all new and state of the art. Their seating is very similar to the new Cinemark setups.
javajaws
AG
A lot of people just don't want to see most movies at the theater now (regardless of cost). They're ok with waiting a few months and watching it at home. It's not like it used to be where they didn't have any other options - nowadays people have many more video entertainment options available to keep them occupied.

I think the theaters have seen the writing on the wall and are moving away from simply having "first access" to prime movies, but instead going the full entertainment route like Alamo, Flix Brewhouse, etc. Stuff like dining and recliner seating is all about making more money from less customers.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
wesag
AG
Those prices aren't high.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously. I'm actually shocked at how low they are, all things considered.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wesag said:

Those prices aren't high.

What?

No....not the point really. It is not representative of what people might expect to pay - especially big cities, prime shows, eat in type, etc....

They are average ticket prices - includes matinees, etc. and across the country.

I have a large range of prices just within a few miles of me. One top end theater is usually $14 or so but up to $18 for 3D... another that is less popular but has good recliners is bout $10 usually and a third (literally in a bombed out shell of a defunct mall being torn down) is about $6 but only $2-$3 for matinees. Those are all in Dallas.

It just shows the trend in rising ticket prices - they have always been going up up up.

wesag
AG
BernArnold said:

CJS4715 said:

Frok said:

I stopped going because I have young kids and no time.

Unfortunately having young kids doesn't stop some couples from going to the theater.

Having young kids made me go to MORE movies........ to get out and get a break.

It's called a babysitter - although I was lucky we had free g'parent babysitting nearly every Sat night for about 13 years. What a blessing that was.

When my wife's mother passed the kid were old enough to stay home alone. Although we did not go out as much any more.

Same here on little kids and getting to the show. I love getting out of the house.
TCTTS
AG
I usually pay between $15 and $22 per ticket in LA. We know those are averages. And yet the average is still lower than I thought.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.