Theater attendance 24-year low

13,943 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Teacher_Ag said:

There are several factors at play in this trend, but to some extent I think it's Hollywood having shot itself in the foot over and over by wanting to inject their political/social messages into everything. I think my parents are pretty typical examples of a large chunk of their generation in the US, and they've gotten to where they go to the movies MAYBE two or three times a year because so many of the new movies strike them as preaching on some agenda. I think movies and art of any kind SHOULD be thought provoking and offensive to some, but it doesn't mean that almost every single major feature needs to be commenting on society in a way that will annoy roughly half of its potential audience. Even with these numbers dropping it may take more for the people in the Hollywood echo chamber to realize that most people across the country want movies that entertain, not necessarily that try to elevate or criticize certain groups or people or ideologies.

Think about the Christian movie industry that cranks out movies like Fireproof. If you're the kind of person that saw the trailer for Fireproof and cringed/laughed and thought, wow, they're trying waaaaay too hard. Imagine feeling that same way after watching about 75% of trailers. That's how a lot of people feel about most of what Hollywood produces.

Most movies aren't t making that commentary.
MW03
AG
I think online delivery and the "movie cloud" has been a game changer too. Back in the day, you had to trek to a Blockbuster and hope they still had copies of the movie you wanted to rent, especially if it was a new release. Yeah, you could navigate to PayPerView, but you don't even have to do that anymore.

If I want to see a new(ish) movie now, all I have to do is fire up my phone and rent it from Google, then stream it via a Chromecast to my home theater where I'm watching in a theater recliner. I can pause it if I need to use the bathrooms. I can drink a beer or a soda from my fridge and have a bag of popcorn, and it doesn't cost me $25. I don't have people talking, people looking at their phones around me. I can start it at 8:47 PM if I want without worrying about showtimes. I can grab a blanket or crank the AC if the temperature isn't too my liking.

And we can watch it for $6.99 or whatever the HD rental price is now instead of forking out $30 for 2 tickets plus $40 for a couple hours of a babysitter. And all it costs me is waiting a couple of months after a movie is released.

Sometimes we'll go to an Alamo or the like to have a night out with dinner and a show. The "cult classics" pull me out of the house on occasion because it's better to watch Army of Darkness at midnight with 60 other superfans.

Really, the only thing that gets me out to a normal theater is if the movie provides something I can't see at home. Bladerunner 2049, Dunkirk, MadMax, etc. Those movies get me to the theater. But I'm not going to pay $75 between tickets, snacks, and a babysitter to watch The Post. I'm just going to wait and rent it.

-------

Edit to add that the cost to play in the home theater market is so much cheaper now by comparison than it was even 10 years ago. The tech has come so far that you can get a serviceable projector for under $600. You can put a whole room together on a budget for less than what a 65" set cost you in 2008.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

Think about the Christian movie industry that cranks out movies like Fireproof. If you're the kind of person that saw the trailer for Fireproof and cringed/laughed and thought, wow, they're trying waaaaay too hard. Imagine feeling that same way after watching about 75% of trailers. That's how a lot of people feel about most of what Hollywood produces.
75% of all trailers are better than the movie that they are teasing.

I actually enjoy seeing trailers before movies. There's even a show on AxisTV called "Nothing But Trailers" that shows.....nothing but trailers. Sometimes I'll watch that just for the hell of it. They show everything from blockbusters to independent films that'll never play in my town.
VanZandt92
NoahAg said:

I can't think of a single time that I've watched a movie at home and thought "oh man, I really missed out by not watching that at the theater."

At this point, driving to a theater and overspending to watch a movie with a bunch of strangers is about as antiquated as renting a movie from Blockbuster. The only selling point theaters have for me is it's just "something to do" if my wife and I have a night w/out kids. Even then, it's on the bottom of the list.

The movies aren't expensive. And they're fun. Why the fear of public places ?
MelvinUdall
VanZandt92 said:

Still can't believe we built such a huge football stadium in the face of all this.

That had more to do with perception to recruits as well as competing schools in the SEC and Texas.
fig96
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

fig96 said:

Teacher_Ag said:

If you feel that way after 75% of trailers I feel like you're looking for things to be offended about.

The issue with the Christian movie industry is, for the most part, they make films that just aren't very good. There's a really interesting book I've got at home, can grab the name later if anyone is interested. It's a bunch of essays from Christians working in the mainstream film industry talking about their faith and film, and touches on a lot of the issues with "Christian" films.
Yeah, most of those are terrible. You missed my point, though. Not sure if it was on purpose or not.
If your point is that a lot of people are offended by most trailers then I'm not missing your point, I just disagree with you. If it's something else I don't know what it was.

I'm sure a small percentage of people that feel that way, but I think it's a pretty small percentage. I'd also be willing to wager that those people aren't going to see most movies anyway.
VanZandt92
nhayden said:

VanZandt92 said:

Still can't believe we built such a huge football stadium in the face of all this.

That had more to do with perception to recruits as well as competing schools in the SEC and Texas.

It has to do with Lack of understanding of the marketplace.
VanZandt92
MW03 said:

I think online delivery and the "movie cloud" has been a game changer too. Back in the day, you had to trek to a Blockbuster and hope they still had copies of the movie you wanted to rent, especially if it was a new release. Yeah, you could navigate to PayPerView, but you don't even have to do that anymore.

If I want to see a new(ish) movie now, all I have to do is fire up my phone and rent it from Google, then stream it via a Chromecast to my home theater where I'm watching in a theater recliner. I can pause it if I need to use the bathrooms. I can drink a beer or a soda from my fridge and have a bag of popcorn, and it doesn't cost me $25. I don't have people talking, people looking at their phones around me. I can start it at 8:47 PM if I want without worrying about showtimes. I can grab a blanket or crank the AC if the temperature isn't too my liking.

And we can watch it for $6.99 or whatever the HD rental price is now instead of forking out $30 for 2 tickets plus $40 for a couple hours of a babysitter. And all it costs me is waiting a couple of months after a movie is released.

Sometimes we'll go to an Alamo or the like to have a night out with dinner and a show. The "cult classics" pull me out of the house on occasion because it's better to watch Army of Darkness at midnight with 60 other superfans.

Really, the only thing that gets me out to a normal theater is if the movie provides something I can't see at home. Bladerunner 2049, Dunkirk, MadMax, etc. Those movies get me to the theater. But I'm not going to pay $75 between tickets, snacks, and a babysitter to watch The Post. I'm just going to wait and rent it.

-------

Edit to add that the cost to play in the home theater market is so much cheaper now by comparison than it was even 10 years ago. The tech has come so far that you can get a serviceable projector for under $600. You can put a whole room together on a budget for less than what a 65" set cost you in 2008.

Actually the Post is, in fact, much better on large screen. There are many scenes of the buildings and printing that aren't going to be half as awesome pin your tv.
javajaws
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

javajaws said:

YellowPot_97 said:

62strat said:

scoop12 said:

Theatrical releases still pay the bills for film companies. Until they find a way to replace the cash cow, theaters will still be around.
how is paying a theater $8 any different than paying $8 to the film companies for them to stream it to you at home?
you have an 80ft screen in your living room?
You don't need an 80ft screen when you're sitting 12' from it - an 8ft screen will do just fine.

Admittedly not everyone has a home theater in their house, but they are more common than you think. And the people who can afford to take their family out to a movie every few weeks are the EXACT people who are more likely than not to also have a home theater in their house.
You have an 8 ft screen in your living room?

Sorry, but even the biggest TV on the market pales in comparison to watching a Star Wars movie, a Marvel movie, or a movie like Blade Runner 2049 for the first time on a huge movie theater screen, totally immersed in the experience.

I watched BR:2049 for the first time last night on a 100" screen. And my 15" subwoofer made the audio much better than any movie theater I've ever been in. Bass you can feel.

Let's compare that to my last outing to watch The Last Jedi on the local Cinemark's largest and best screen. The video quality was so bad it was almost unwatchable.
wesag
AG
Look. I have a large TV.
MelvinUdall
VanZandt92 said:

nhayden said:

VanZandt92 said:

It has to do with Lack of understanding of the marketplace.

No, I understand that perspective, what I am saying is that the goal was to show how big you can get your Stadium compared to your competitors. Doesn't make it right, just that was the thought process, IMO.
javajaws
AG
He asked.

And really, what's to brag about? Most of you'll have flat screens that cost more than my projector setup.
MelvinUdall
javajaws said:

He asked.

And really, what's to brag about? Most of you'll have flat screens that cost more than my projector setup.

Sarcasm my friend and just poking some fun.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I can't think of a single time that I've watched a movie at home and thought "oh man, I really missed out by not watching that at the theater."
The first dvd I watched after purchasing a new plasma tv in 2009 was The Watchmen. I immediately wished I had seen it in the theater, though perhaps it was best since I was spared the giant blue wiener everyone had talked about on this board in their reviews.
javajaws
AG
nhayden said:

javajaws said:

He asked.

I'm waiting at the Urologist office - it hit a little too close to home!!!! Lmao
AgMarauder04
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

90 bull said:

Let's be honest. There are a lot of actors who say "your are horrible and a racist if you support Trump. Come see my movie". Does that account for the entire drop. Of course not. Is it a contributing factor? I think so.
Exactly. Good example...Matt Damon. I saw the Martian and told my parents how cool it is and that it's great on the big screen, but after all of his running his mouth all of the time they don't want to watch his movies. It's the same with expecting a leftist to want to support a movie starring Ted Nugent. The difference being that for every outspoken right-winger in Hollywood there are about 50 leftists...maybe more. I totally get freedom of speech, using your platform, etc, but it DOES lose a big chunk of your audience.
Same reasoning for significant decline in NFL viewership. People tend to go to the movies/watch sports to get away from politics. The more the lines are blurred, the less people will go. No, it's not the whole reason, but it's certainly a part, especially for the middle of the country.
MelvinUdall
javajaws said:

nhayden said:

javajaws said:

He asked.

I'm waiting at the Urologist office - it hit a little too close to home!!!! Lmao

Very well played!

I want to add that I am laughing at my home office and my wife came in asking what i was laughing at, too damn funny.
BigTimeAlum
AG
This whole economic scenario is 95% smartphone/app/social media proliferation that has changed people's entertainment preferences. It's 5% backlash to political activism, and that is also mostly due to social media.

The activism is now in front of consumers on an infinitely more frequent basis than 10 years ago. Hollywood hasn't changed, you're just beat over the head with it daily now.

Teacher_Ag
AG
Bi said:

Hollywood hasn't changed

I beg to differ. The SJW/hyper-PC climate has gotten A LOT more prolific, IMHO.
Quad Dog
AG
Among the other reasons posted so far, I know this part of the article is a part of why I don't take my growing family to the movies as much.
Quote:

The National Alliance of Theater Owners (NATO) announced Wednesday that the national ticket average for 2017 rose 3.7 percent year-over-year to $8.93, up from $8.65 last year.
Although, we did get Movie Pass for 3 months for Christmas from my Brother-in-law, but are waiting till summer to start it.
DTP02
AG
I'm curious about this book.
fig96
AG
DTP02 said:

I'm curious about this book.
Found it, was blanking on the name:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Hollywood-Project-Spiritually-Relevant/dp/0974694215

If I recall one of the filmmakers there is Scott Derrickson, who's become a much bigger name the past few years after directing Doctor Strange.
expresswrittenconsent
Teacher_Ag said:

There are several factors at play in this trend, but to some extent I think it's Hollywood having shot itself in the foot over and over by wanting to inject their political/social messages into everything. I think my parents are pretty typical examples of a large chunk of their generation in the US, and they've gotten to where they go to the movies MAYBE two or three times a year because so many of the new movies strike them as preaching on some agenda. I think movies and art of any kind SHOULD be thought provoking and offensive to some, but it doesn't mean that almost every single major feature needs to be commenting on society in a way that will annoy roughly half of its potential audience. Even with these numbers dropping it may take more for the people in the Hollywood echo chamber to realize that most people across the country want movies that entertain, not necessarily that try to elevate or criticize certain groups or people or ideologies.

I'm curious why you think this is something new, as if hollywood in general and popular culture as a whole have just recently decided to market towards their target demographic of young people with disposable income, and it is only recently that 60 yr olds have complained about the youth and stopped participating in popular culture via new music, movies, etc. Do you really think that when you were 5 your 60 yr old dad's dad was buying the latest music and seeing 3 movies a month at the theatre? Old people have been grumpy about the changes of youth since the beginning of time.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I get what you're saying but this goes beyond just taste changing from generation to generation. Certain people/groups feel under attack by a lot of what Hollywood produces. It's easy to deny if you don't want to see it or want to write it off, but the numbers that this thread is about are part of it.
DTP02
AG
Thanks!
fig96
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

I get what you're saying but this goes beyond just taste changing from generation to generation. Certain people/groups feel under attack by a lot of what Hollywood produces. It's easy to deny if you don't want to see it or want to write it off, but the numbers that this thread is about are part of it.
Again, this sounds kind of sensationalized.

Sure, there are some films that have a distinct political bent, but let's look at box office from the last few months...

Sept
It
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
The LEGO Ninjago Movie
American Made
American Assassin

Oct
Blade Runner 2049
Happy Death Day
Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
Jigsaw
The Foreigner

Nov
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League
Coco
Wonder
Daddy's Home 2

Dec

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
The Greatest Showman
Pitch Perfect 3
Ferdinand

Those represent probably 70% or more of the box office from those months, and how many have some distinct element for people to feel attacked by? Maybe a handful? The majority are popcorn action or family films.

Some people just want to be offended or feel like they're fighting some fight, and they're always going to find something to project onto. But the majority of films just don't have that strong of a viewpoint.
expresswrittenconsent
Teacher_Ag said:

I think the numbers are much better explained by Bunks post about the explosion of different entertainment options. You are correct that people of all races, genders, social, economic and religious groups love to complain about how they are the victims of persecution and then attribute that as a cause/effect to all manner of conditions.
jokershady
AG
Ah....good ole 1991

Where the highest worldwide grossing film of the year was Terminator 2.

And bottoming out the top 10 for worldwide money was....City Slickers?

Damn that was a down year
jokershady
AG
1993: "Thank you Jurassic Park or else we would have really sucked."

1994: "How the **** did the Flinstones beat Dumb and Dumber???"

1995: "AKA the year of Tom Hanks with Toy Story and Apollo 13 being #1 and #3 worldwide."

1996: "The year the Summer Blockbuster was really done right....Independence Day, Twister, Mission Impossible, The Rock, The Nutty Professor, and Eraser all from May - July."

1997: "**** you Titantic and your 1.8 billion worldwide release."

1998: "The year that proves Armageddon was better than Deep Impact (but not better than Saving Private Ryan."

1999: "Here's a few movies that Phantom Menace beat: 6th Sense, Toy Story 2, and The Matrix. Damn you Lucas."

Interesting to see the trend move on a graph and then view what was released that year.

BTW....year 2000 had the most notable (but not profitable) release ever thus far in my personal opinion.....X-Men.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

BTW....year 2000 had the most notable (but not profitable) release ever thus far in my personal opinion.....X-Men.
That's one of the first movies I remember getting hyped on internet marketing for. They had a website with an interactive Xavier Mansion and Cerebro guiding you through each floor down to the danger room, which was a borderline nerdgasm for someone who had devoured the comics as a kid.
et98
AG
I teach high school.

Going to the movies as a teen just isn't a "thing" like it used to be. It wasn't unusual for the average teenager when I was a teenager in the early 90s to go see a movie every week or two at least...every month at the very very least. I'd estimate 15-20 movies a year on average per teenager..and some watched considerably more than that.

Now, going to the movies just isn't a priority for kids. I know what they talk about. I listen to their conversations. They don't go to the movies...at least not that much. If they see more than 6 or 7 movies per year in the theater on average, I'd be surprised.

If it's not on YouTube or NetFlix or somehow on their phones or tablets, most of these kids haven't seen it. They don't watch TV. They don't watch movies in the theater. Half the kids I teach are more likely to illegally download a new movie than go watch it in the theater if they don't want to wait.

Add the fact that they have about 500 additional options to go do stuff compared to what we had at that age...including ones where they can be glued to their phones while doing it (as opposed to a movie theater)...movie theaters will only continue to suffer.
BoneBoy
AG
RPM said:

Excellent. Can't wait for the day when quality movies are released directly and there's no need to sit in a room with strangers to see a movie that may or may not be worth it.

If that day never comes, oh well.

This is 2018. The business model that says we all must gather in a theatre to watch a movie is so out dated it is laughable.

Hollywood has just about done every iteration of an idea out there that is marketable.

Noisy brats, over priced junk food, no convenient pause button if someone needs to piss... all good reasons to never step foot into a theatre again.
I respectfully disagree. I enjoy watching movies at home on my "big screen" TV, but the true big screen is in theaters. Luxury lounger chairs are a huge improvement, as are dinner movie theaters. The best of the big screens are IMax. Visually beautiful cinematography and state of the art sound & music at IMax theaters are experiences that simply cannot be matched by home theaters.
Redstone
AG
I saw the Gosling Bladerunner at Alamo Drafthouse, very shortly after initial release. We also have a dollar theatre nearby.
West Point Aggie
AG
I've been to 5 movies since 2009

Star Trek x3
Star Wars ep VII
Alien Covenant

The statistic in OP makes sense to me...the theater is the opposite of magical to me...obnoxious loud kids, people on their phones and way over priced...
TyHolden
AG
When will we have Swedish massage theatres?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.