Theater attendance 24-year low

13,638 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oragator said:

TCTTS said:

oragator said:

Nothing out there for adults, people who want to think, see an adult movie etc. Thise people have no decent options, so they just don't go.

This is so wrong I don't even know how to reply. There are SO MANY "adult" movies in theaters literally right now... The Post, Phantom Thread, I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, 12 Strong, Call Me By Your Name, Hostiles... none of those do it for you, even though they all fit your criteria?

None of those have the backing the blockbusters have. Not even close, from casting, to promotion to production value. For example, Shape of water had less than 10% the budget of a larger comic book movie.

There used to be a time, not even that long ago, when we would get movies like Cast Away, Shawshank, As Good as it Gets, American Beauty, Forest Gump, good will hunting, Eternal Sunshjne of the Spotless Mind and countless others... casting, production value, story all there.
Adult movies now are borderline Indy films, which are fine but not worth going to theater over. There are few and far between now between the extremes - big budget blockbuster or lower budget adult. Arrival is the only one I can think of in the last few years truly marketing to that crowd, but that was relatively low budget too. Same with Hidden Figures. But the craving for those types of movies is why they were both "surprise hits". There's a large untapped market out there Hollywood has set aside. Sooner or later they will swing back that way, but not until people stop paying to see the same movie over and over again with a new name.

Jmo.
I'm not even sure where to start...

Just off the top of my head, I, Tonya and 12 Strong have two of the hottest actors in Hollywood (Robbie and Hemsworth). The Post is a freakin Spielberg movie. And you think Shape of Water is lacking production value? His films are known for being beautiful and this one is no exception.

Films like Eternal Sunshine and American Beauty were indie type films in terms of budget, so was Shawshank for that matter. It's easy to romanticize them after the fact, but those weren't massive blockbuster releases.

TCTTS also just mentioned a handful of films in theaters right now. You named some of the most awarded movies across the 90s and early 2000s.
Rudyjax
AG
What good comedies have come out in the last few years?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Unthought Known said:

Last two great ones I can think of were Bridesmaids and Grand Budapest Hotel, but there hasn't been much in the last 7-8 years. The funniest movies now aren't really comedy movies.
mazag08
AG
Movies suck. For the most part, they are just plain boring or repetitive nonsense. Not only that, but the theater is truly a waste of money. There isn't a single movie that I am thankful for the amazing experience of a theater. Pure film junkies might think like that. But the average citizen just isn't that wowed by big screens and loud sounds anymore.. especially for the majority of trash that Hollywood comes up with.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Unthought Known said:

Last two great ones I can think of were Bridesmaids and Grand Budapest Hotel, but there hasn't been much in the last 7-8 years. The funniest movies now aren't really comedy movies.

Bridesmaids was terribly unfunny. Never saw the other one but I doubt it's what a good chunk of the population is looking for in a comedy.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I probably only go to 4-5 movies a year just because not much of what's out there interests me. The ones I do see are usually more of the indie type films but those are a pain in the ass because none of the handful of theaters in my general vicinity usually play those. I end up having to drive 30 minutes to the Angelika to see what I want. That also makes it difficult to see what I want because those movies don't normally stay more than a couple weeks it seems.
schmendeler
AG
Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Unthought Known said:

Bridesmaids was terribly unfunny. Never saw the other one but I doubt it's what a good chunk of the population is looking for in a comedy.

Terribly unfunny? I think you'll find that's very much a minority opinion.
Rudyjax
AG
Funny or not it was several years ago.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Unthought Known said:

22 Jump Street is one of the funniest movies in a long, long, LONG time. Just so brilliantly funny.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bridesmaids kinda sucked.

It had 3 funny bits.... and they packaged an entire movie around it. Everything in between was meh.

the engagement party toasts
the drunk airplane part
the bridal shop disaster

Been a lot funnier movies than that the last 5 years.

We're the Millers - back in 2013 but probably the best comedy recently
Happy Death Day - was pretty funny although it was a horror flick with comedy
Chips - was pretty stupid overall but had more funny moments than Bridesmaids
Keeping up with the Joneses - it was ok, mildly entertaining (or I might have been just staring at Gal Gadot)
Deadpool - was seriously funny but I guess people consider it a superhero movie, it's both
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - was pretty damn funny
Bridget Jones Baby - well not great, but it surprised me that it wasn't terrible
Keanu - had some great moments although it dragged on too long, but it was clever mostly
Office christmas Party - was dry in parts and hilarious in other parts, hit or miss
Sausage Party - ok it was waaaay over the top, too much really, but funny
Spy - had it's moments, i like it better than Bridesmaids I'll say that
Sisters - very funny actually, surprised me
Neighbors - pretty funny
The Other Woman - terrible

bunch of average to terrible sequels:

Hangover III - mildly entertaining
Anchorman 2 - meh
Ted 2 - meh....not as good as the first
22 Jump Street - not terrible just not as good as the first
Horrible Bosses 2 - again not as good as the first one, but not terrible
Neighbors 2 - terrible

Rudyjax
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Unthought Known said:

22 Jump Street is one of the funniest movies in a long, long, LONG time. Just so brilliantly funny.

Very funny. Also 4 years ago.
Rudyjax
AG
So like, if I wanted to go to the movies and see a comedy, what choices do I have?

It's like this every time we want to go to the movies.
schmendeler
AG
Unthought Known said:

So like, if I wanted to go to the movies and see a comedy, what choices do I have?

I haven't seen it but Jumanji has gotten really good reviews on here.
TCTTS
AG
Legit, laugh out loud comedies have definitely been lacking the last few years. The Disaster Artist is the last one I can think of, but before that it had been forever (22 Jump Street?). I miss the era of Knocked Up, The Hangover, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, etc. For years, it felt like there was a great comedy every six months or so. Now? Apatow has fallen off a bit, Will Ferrell movies kind of suck, and no one else has really taken the baton. Surely we're due for a resurgence again soon...
fig96
AG
schmendeler said:

Unthought Known said:

I haven't seen it but Jumanji has gotten really good reviews on here.
Jumanji was a fun popcorn action comedy.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Legit, laugh out loud comedies have definitely been lacking the last few years. The Disaster Artist is the last one I can think of, but before that it had been forever (22 Jump Street?). I miss the era of Knocked Up, The Hangover, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, etc. For years, it felt like there was a great comedy every six months or so. Now? Apatow has fallen off a bit, Will Ferrell movies kind of suck, and no one else has really taken the baton. Surely we're due for a resurgence again soon...

I get what you are saying for sure. Even though I listed a bunch of comedies - thats just some better than Bridesmaids....some worse too. But overall yeah it was much better back in the heydey of the Apatow flicks and all the Will Ferrell flicks and I would add in some of the better Farrelly brothers and Coen brothers movies too.

mavsfan4ever
AG
AggieLitigator said:

I've wanted to go to the movies for the last two months and there's not a movie out that I want to see. I'm sure lots of people like the ones that have come out but they haven't interested me or any of my friends.

You don't like good movies. December and January are the best months for good movies.
mavsfan4ever
AG
BernArnold said:

Bridesmaids kinda sucked.

It had 3 funny bits.... and they packaged an entire movie around it. Everything in between was meh.

the engagement party toasts
the drunk airplane part
the bridal shop disaster

Been a lot funnier movies than that the last 5 years.

We're the Millers - back in 2013 but probably the best comedy recently
Happy Death Day - was pretty funny although it was a horror flick with comedy
Chips - was pretty stupid overall but had more funny moments than Bridesmaids
Keeping up with the Joneses - it was ok, mildly entertaining (or I might have been just staring at Gal Gadot)
Deadpool - was seriously funny but I guess people consider it a superhero movie, it's both
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - was pretty damn funny
Bridget Jones Baby - well not great, but it surprised me that it wasn't terrible
Keanu - had some great moments although it dragged on too long, but it was clever mostly
Office christmas Party - was dry in parts and hilarious in other parts, hit or miss
Sausage Party - ok it was waaaay over the top, too much really, but funny
Spy - had it's moments, i like it better than Bridesmaids I'll say that
Sisters - very funny actually, surprised me
Neighbors - pretty funny
The Other Woman - terrible

bunch of average to terrible sequels:

Hangover III - mildly entertaining
Anchorman 2 - meh
Ted 2 - meh....not as good as the first
22 Jump Street - not terrible just not as good as the first
Horrible Bosses 2 - again not as good as the first one, but not terrible
Neighbors 2 - terrible

Anyone who thinks bridesmaids was bad and mike and Dave was good loses all credibility with me.

But I do agree that good comedies are lacking.
Ragoo
AG
We did a LEAN manufacturing analysis of going to the movie theatre. It was a lead in to get our minds thinking right, but the analysis was pretty eye opening.

We don't go to the theatre as much, as a society, because it takes too much time. There are many many idle steps in the process we would rather sit at home and watch something streaming on demand.
fig96
AG
AggieLitigator said:

I've wanted to go to the movies for the last two months and there's not a movie out that I want to see. I'm sure lots of people like the ones that have come out but they haven't interested me or any of my friends.
So you had no desire to see any of...

Thor: Ragnarok
Blade Runner 2049
The Last Jedi
The Foreigner
Jigsaw
Lady Bird
LBJ
Murder on the Orient Express
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Daddy's Home 2
Justice League
Wonder
Coco
Roman J Israel, Esq.
Call Me By Your Name
The Disaster Artist
The Shape of Water
I, Tonya
Ferdinand
Jumaji
The Greatest Showman
Pitch Perfect 3
Downsizing
Hostiles
The Post
Molly's Game

I can't think of a genre or category not represented there, most with some really good movies. If you have no interest in any of those, what exactly are you wanting to see?
john2002ag
Of all those, only Jedi was enough to get me to go to the movies. He rest I will watch via redbox.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

the number of people that are just not movie fans but post on movie threads is ....interesting.

fig96
AG
BernArnold said:

the number of people that are just not movie fans but post on movie threads is ....interesting.

That's pretty much where my next comment was heading.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
oragator said:

everything is a reboot, remake, sequel or reimagining of an action/comic franchise. Certainly has its place, but only appeals to a relatively narrow group of people. And now it's everything, the last two movies I went to, of the 12 or so previews I saw, 10 were probably in those categories...and the two that weren't were that stupid Alec Baldwin baby movie, and one decent original (Ready Player One).

Nothing out there for adults, people who want to think, see an adult movie etc. Thise people have no decent options, so they just don't go.

No offense, but this is one of the worst posts in this thread. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
nai06
AG
Another thing for us, I dont want to wait around for home release. If I want to see a movie when its released, the theater is the only option
schmendeler
AG
nai06 said:

Another thing for us, I dont want to wait around for home release. If I want to see a movie when its released, the theater is the only option

Agreed. Part of the fun is being able to talk about it with friends.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

oragator said:

everything is a reboot, remake, sequel or reimagining of an action/comic franchise. Certainly has its place, but only appeals to a relatively narrow group of people. And now it's everything, the last two movies I went to, of the 12 or so previews I saw, 10 were probably in those categories...and the two that weren't were that stupid Alec Baldwin baby movie, and one decent original (Ready Player One).

No offense, but this is one of the worst posts in this thread. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

Exactly..... these movies from the top 100 box office are not reboots, remakes, sequels, or comic based from the last year:

Dunkirk
Split
Wonder
Baby Driver
Murder on the Orient Express
The Greatest Showman
The Hitman's Bodyguard
A Dog's Purpose
The Post
The Great Wall
The Shack
47 Meters Down
Darkest Hour
Lady Bird
Jackie
King Arthur Legend of the Sword
the Foreigner
Wind River
Everything, Everything
Three Billboards outside Ebbing Mo.
the Mountain Between Us
Life
The Shape of Water
Gifted
Molly's Game
Downsizing
All the Money in the World
The Disaster Artist

comedies:
Snatched
Going in Style
The Big Sick
Home Again
Girls Trip

action but not remakes or superhero/comics:
American Made
Atomic Blonde
Ghost in the Shell
American Assassin
Logan Lucky

kids:
Coco
Ferdinand
The star

that's 40 of the top 100 that are not reboots, remakes, sequels, or super-hero comic based.

If you can't find soemthing in there.....that's on you. I bolded a few that were really really good although I did not see all of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.