Lord of the Rings... the TV Series

46,150 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by shaynew1
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm intrigued
Legal Custodian
AG
So am I looking at this correctly?

My knowledge of deep lotr lore is pretty miniscule, but these are either all elvish names on the maps, or cities like Minas Tirith aren't named that yet. Which makes me think this series is the lead up to the first war with Sauron and when he's buddy buddy with everyone giving out magic rings left and right?
redline248
AG
It's starting to look that way. I think this would be called 2nd Age
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
See Shife's post on the previous page. He probably has the best grasp on this.
redline248
AG
Looking more at the map and reading about different stuff on various wikis, I'm thinking this is already going to be late 2nd age, and most of the stuff in Shife's post has already happened. It could just be the build up to Sauron regaining power at the end of the 2nd Age, before the Last Alliance of Elves and Men.

However, weren't there reports that the show was going to feature young Aragorn? If so, the map is a total distraction.
hunter2012
AG
Anyone wanting some background on this should play the Shadow of Mordor games, especially Shadows of War as it gets into the history of the rings, the ringmaker(Celebrimbor), and the origin of the Gondorians living in Mordor. Also they're awesome games.
Legal Custodian
AG
hunter2012 said:

Anyone wanting some background on this should play the Shadow of Mordor games, especially Shadows of War as it gets into the history of the 9 kings and the origin of the Gondorians living in Mordor. Also they're awesome games.
Will do! Didn't realize those games were set that far back in time. Thought it was more right before the Fellowship following around a random Ranger
hunter2012
AG
Legal Custodian said:

hunter2012 said:

Anyone wanting some background on this should play the Shadow of Mordor games, especially Shadows of War as it gets into the history of the 9 kings and the origin of the Gondorians living in Mordor. Also they're awesome games.
Will do! Didn't realize those games were set that far back in time. Thought it was more right before the Fellowship following around a random Ranger
It is, but the characters(except for the ranger, some stragglers, and the Orcs) are from the early ages, the ringmaker, the ring wraiths, and Sauron for example. Their origins and backgrounds are extremely important for plot reasons, and many cutscenes and missions involve their history on what happened. Any LotR fan will enjoy the games as they are great games that just so happen to be steeped with lore.
Al Bula
AG
This gets more interesting.

Unless the timeline is totally screwed up, I'd guess this begins with the forging of the 3 elvish rings, 7 dwarf rings, 9 rings of men and finally the one ring in some sort of prologue. For example the rings of power were forged almost 2000 years before Elendil and sons set foot in Middle Earth.

So this probably begins with backstory then moves to present day -- being very late Second Age -- when Arnor and Gondor battle the forces of Mordor. We see the three chief cities of Gondor on the map with their original names and the capital in the north, Annuminas, but not the second capital of the north, Fornost. The season probably ends around the last alliance.

Keep in mind how long these damn Numenoreans live so it would not be uncommon from a pure Tolkeinist perspective to have multiple 10+ year jumps forward until something worthwhile happens. Another example: There are over 100 years between Elendil coming to Middle Earth and Isildur taking the ring from Sauron.

Would not be surprised if time spans are shortened since human viewers tend to not like processing extra long lifespans given our own 70-100 year range.

EDIT: The three Hobbit races had not yet migrated over the Misty Mountains yet either so there is no Shire if we believe the map.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If only they were on Switch.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Shife said:

This gets more interesting.

Unless the timeline is totally screwed up, I'd guess this begins with the forging of the 3 elvish rings, 7 dwarf rings, 9 rings of men and finally the one ring in some sort of prologue. For example the rings of power were forged almost 2000 years before Elendil and sons set foot in Middle Earth.

So this probably begins with backstory then moves to present day -- being very late Second Age -- when Arnor and Gondor battle the forces of Mordor. We see the three chief cities of Gondor on the map with their original names and the capital in the north, Annuminas, but not the second capital of the north, Fornost. The season probably ends around the last alliance.

Keep in mind how long these damn Numenoreans live so it would not be uncommon from a pure Tolkeinist perspective to have multiple 10+ year jumps forward until something worthwhile happens. Another example: There are over 100 years between Elendil coming to Middle Earth and Isildur taking the ring from Sauron.

Would not be surprised if time spans are shortened since human viewers tend to not like processing extra long lifespans given our own 70-100 year range.

EDIT: The three Hobbit races had not yet migrated over the Misty Mountains yet either so there is no Shire if we believe the map.
I have never felt more out-nerded before in my entire life than right now.
The Collective
AG
Holy **** - this comes to mind. Bravo.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm just hoping there's a little character known as Tom Bombadil
wangus12
AG

wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If only they were on Switch.
Terrible excuse. If you are an adult with a big boy job, you can at the very least afford to buy a used PS4/XB1
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shife and Colbert would make for a pretty interesting discussion.
amercer
AG
I'm glad to hear it may be mostly new stories. Tolkien laid out a whole universe but there are plenty of time periods where we only know in the broadest strokes about the fantastic heros, kingdoms and battles. That's where you could fill in details and be creative while not bumping up against anything he wrote.
Al Bula
AG
All the good stuff is contained in:
1. LOTR Appendix A for Numenor, Arnor and Gondor history, 7 clans of dwarves
2. Last two parts of the Simarillion concerning the downfall of Numenor and a short recap of forging the rings to Sauron's ultimate end
3. Unfinished Tales - history of the Wizards and palantiri and I cannot recommend enough the Quest of Erebor chapter that is a much darker account of Gandald's need to get Thorin to defeat Smaug

Much of these writings are essays and they have been edited by Christopher Tolkien. Thankfully he did not go the route of Frank Herbert's son and try to create nearly as much new content as was done to the Dune universe.

I have struggled for years trying to digest the First Age material. At a high level I understand all the battles with Morgoth and the Silmaril and Gondolin, etc etc but that material is not as engaging as The Hobbit or LOTR. Aside from the fall of Gondolin the mythology and creation stuff is not very interesting. To be fair none of this was really in narrative format though, and never intended to be read like a story.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Shife said:

All the good stuff is contained in:
1. LOTR Appendix A for Numenor, Arnor and Gondor history, 7 clans of dwarves
2. Last two parts of the Simarillion concerning the downfall of Numenor and a short recap of forging the rings to Sauron's ultimate end
3. Unfinished Tales - history of the Wizards and palantiri and I cannot recommend enough the Quest of Erebor chapter that is a much darker account of Gandald's need to get Thorin to defeat Smaug

Much of these writings are essays and they have been edited by Christopher Tolkien. Thankfully he did not go the route of Frank Herbert's son and try to create nearly as much new content as was done to the Dune universe.

I have struggled for years trying to digest the First Age material. At a high level I understand all the battles with Morgoth and the Silmaril and Gondolin, etc etc but that material is not as engaging as The Hobbit or LOTR. Aside from the fall of Gondolin the mythology and creation stuff is not very interesting. To be fair none of this was really in narrative format though, and never intended to be read like a story.

Ah, yes...of course, of course...
redline248
AG
Fornost is on the interactive map online. Also, they keep adding stuff each time they tweet out a new line in the poem (or whatever it's called).
DVC2010
AG
wangus12 said:

The singular form of Valar is Vala.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Legal Custodian said:

hunter2012 said:

Not to be that guy, but Shadow of Mordor treated the lore and backstory to Lord of the Rings about the same as Harvey Weinstein treated actresses. Other than character and places names, very little can be considered accurate. If you want to learn about where Amazon appears to be setting this show (Second Age)... Shadow of Mordor is not the place to go.

Gameplay was pretty good, though.
Gigem314
AG
amercer said:

I'm intrigued
Al Bula
AG
redline248 said:

Fornost is on the interactive map online. Also, they keep adding stuff each time they tweet out a new line in the poem (or whatever it's called).
thanks for the correction I missed it.
Olsen
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Legal Custodian
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Surprising they released this map so quick after the last one. It's been about 5 days inbetween map releases. Makes me think there will be some type of official announcement soon.
DVC2010
AG
The twitter account says, "Welcome to the Second Age." Was that there yesterday?

All the young Aragorn rumors were really disappointing. Now I'm excited.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Legal Custodian said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

Surprising they released this map so quick after the last one. It's been about 5 days inbetween map releases. Makes me think there will be some type of official announcement soon.
The gaps have been 3 days, 7 Days, 9 days, and 1 day. It's from the verse:

Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne;
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them;
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

From the features on each of the maps, It looks as if the Series is going to focus on the Second age, which among other things included the forging of the Great Rings, the 1000 year wars of the Elves and Sauron, downfall of Numenor (basically the Tolkien Atlantis), the creation of the Nazgul, the Founding of Gondor and Arnor (The successor to Numenors), and the Wars of the Last Alliance.

The fan boy is pretty excited, but the Tolkien nut is fairly worried because so much will have to be invented. Characters, Characterizations, Plot points, dialogue... everything.
powerbelly
AG
I haven't been this excited for a show in a long time.
Olsen
AG
DVC2010 said:

The twitter account says, "Welcome to the Second Age." Was that there yesterday?

Nope. That was added today.
The Dog Lord
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

DVC2010 said:

Nope. That was added today.

I assume because before Numenor was shown it could have been the second or third age
West Texan
AG
Interesting turn this thread took from the first page. I'm excited for this show.

Edit: wrong emoji
The Debt
This show will be 6 seasons of people walking.
DVC2010
AG
West Texan said:

Interesting turn this thread took from the first page. I'm excited for this show.

Edit: wrong emoji

Also the story of the thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.