Lord of the Rings... the TV Series

46,151 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by shaynew1
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bangobango said:

KidDoc said:

I'm a big fantasy, former D&D/GURPS type nerd. One of the big reasons GOT has cross over appeal is that it is a "low fantasy" world at least in the beginning. No fireballs, no races (dwarves, elves, hobbits, etc) just fairly realistic medieval era politics and backstabbing then they slowly introduce the magic side with dragons, warging, returning from the dead, zombies, etc. I think having a "high fantasy" setting is generally a turn off to most non-nerdy people.

On that note I think this series would fail. I do think a TV series based on Abercrombie's first law would be amazing considering how popular Vikings is. In a different genre I think Butcher's Dresden files would be good as well. I know it is a bit high fantasy but it uses popular fables like vampires & werewolves and is pretty funny. The initial try @ Dresden was very poorly funded and poorly done.

I love Sanderson's books but I don't think they would translate well.

I think Sanders's reckoner series would come off pretty well and could be done on a realistic budget.
Good point, I was thinking more of Mistborn and words of radiance. Reckoner would fit pretty well in the current Marvel popular age with a clever post apocalyptic twist. I do think it would be pretty costly to make especially book two with the water hero in New York. LOTS of CGI budget for that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think a series based on Wax and Wayne during their lawman days could be interesting and not too High fantasy, more steam punk with a cool magic system. I also think the reckoners will translate very well to some movies.

Stormlight archive and the original mistborn trilogy would be very hard to pull off and probably fail.

Dresden Files I think has a very cool underground supernatural scene and is set in modern times so it has a shot if they would do it right. They could even start the story with his grandfather or mother if they wanted to avoid the main storyline until it is finished.
YouBet
AG
Dresden Files is almost made for TV the the way it is written. However, I do wonder if people are tired of that genre as it is quite similar in tone to True Blood.
Duncan Idaho
chipotle said:

Hobbit pron
gives
The scourging of the Shire a whole new meaning
heddleston
AG
Stormlight would he nearly impossible to pull off, but i think you could swing the o.g. Mistborn without too much trouble. Warbreaker might also be doable. Haven't read Wax and Wayne yet, but from what I understand it would probably be the easiest of the cosmere novels to do.
The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Funny how in S1, many would've said GoT looked like a cheap LOTR knockoff.

9 mins onto GOTs you have a dwarf plowing a chesty redhead....just like Fellowship of the ORing
Madmarttigan
AG
YouBet said:

Dresden Files is almost made for TV the the way it is written. However, I do wonder if people are tired of that genre as it is quite similar in tone to True Blood.

Those are completely different in every way except for the fact that Dresden also has vampires/werewolves in it. I was a fan of most of true blood until the later seasons, but the storyline of Dresden would blow that out of the water if the tone was translated properly to the screen by putting it on HBO/Netflix/Showtime keeping in the more mature parts.
JuliusCaesarAggie
GoT has taken the best elements of LOTR/Fantasy and done them in a much better way with much wider of an appeal than normal fantasy genre fare. You're not gonna top that.
shaynew1
AG
Ah yes the LOTR violence and sex were all my favorite parts
JuliusCaesarAggie
shaynew1 said:

Only people who don't watch GoT mention the violent and sex as to why people like GoT. GoT is great because of characters and writing.
powerbelly
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

shaynew1 said:

Only people who don't watch GoT mention the violent and sex as to why people like GoT. GoT is great because of characters and writing.
The game of thrones writing is terribly inconsistent, especially now that they have outpaced Martin.
JuliusCaesarAggie
powerbelly51 said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

shaynew1 said:

The game of thrones writing is terribly inconsistent, especially now that they have outpaced Martin.
Now, perhaps. But it was pretty dang good during the book seasons.
shaynew1
AG
I've read the books. Sorry man.
powerbelly
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

powerbelly51 said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

shaynew1 said:

Now, perhaps. But it was pretty dang good during the book seasons.
Agree to disagree. Started strong and then Martin wrote himself into a corner.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think just in case the pilot doesn't get picked up, they should go ahead and make the alternate ending where the eagles carry them the whole way
TCTTS
AG
Ha. That would be hilarious.
jbsj9698
AG
Since 83 said:

I think just in case the pilot doesn't get picked up, they should go ahead and make the alternate ending where the eagles carry them the whole way
TCTTS
AG
Deal is officially done. But now the press release is saying that the show "will explore new storylines preceding Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring." So, in between The Hobbit and Fellowship? Are the movies cannon in this show? I have no idea...

An Ag in CO
AG
The books by Tolkien represent his story. The movies are adaptations of the books and neither an extension of the books and story nor a faithful visual representation of the books, but rather the director's version of the story. The movies can neither add to nor subtract from the original story as written by Tolkien.

Cannon sounds like a term from the nerdfest Star Wars universe.
TCTTS
AG
Look, I know next to nothing about LOTR other than the movies. Just trying to figure this out. By "cannon" I meant the three LOTR movies, but that was obviously not the correct term. I have no idea where the story in the book begins vs. the movie, so if you want to help clarify I'm all ears.
bigcat22
AG
I kinda wonder what Stephen Colbert think of this. While I'm not a fan of his politics, he knowledge of all things Tolkien is second to none.
israeliag
AG
Can we just have Disney buy the rights to this, so that we can get an enjoyable and nostalgic part 7 that continues the story of the Baggins family; a film that bridges the prequel and original trilogies while managing to remind you how great this universe, making you forget how terrible the prequels were, and reminding you how awesome of a villain Sauron really is (even though in the original it's not like he actually does that much except having a pretty dope tower); a couple promising spinoffs, one of everyone's favorite rogue and his sidekick - Merry and Pippin - and another of that wise, crazy, old wizard that sacrificed himself for the team; a couple great animated series that fill in the gaps; all before handing the reins of a whole new trilogy to Rian Johnson?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Deal is officially done. But now the press release is saying that the show "will explore new storylines preceding Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring." So, in between The Hobbit and Fellowship? Are the movies cannon in this show? I have no idea...
Yes! Young Aragorn!

He's the perfect character to anchor a series around. In many ways, the Jon Snow of the Tolkien universe. (Of course, we all know Aragorn came first and was the original model for Jon Snow's character.)

Aragorn lost his parents early and was raised by Elrond as an "outsider" in Rivendell, eventually going out on his own as a Ranger.
shaynew1
AG
God I hate GRRM
israeliag
AG
Isn't he around 100 when the party is put together? Lots of stories to mine over so much time.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Yes! Young Aragorn!

He's the perfect character to anchor a series around. In many ways, the Jon Snow of the Tolkien universe. (Of course, we all know Aragorn came first and was the original model for Jon Snow's character.)

Aragorn lost his parents early and was raised by Elrond as an "outsider" in Rivendell, eventually going out on his own as a Ranger.
Amen.

There is so much material to fill the 60 years between the Hobbit and Fellowship and extending back to Aragorn's birth.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
86 (I believe), as per the deleted scene in Two Towers.
swimmerbabe11
bigcat22 said:

I kinda wonder what Stephen Colbert think of this. While I'm not a fan of his politics, he knowledge of all things Tolkien is second to none.

I learn new things every day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
KidDoc
AG
israeliag said:

Isn't he around 100 when the party is put together? Lots of stories to mine over so much time.
I think he is in his 80's in FOTR. He would be a wonderful focus for the story as a crown prince who left his city-state to roam the wilds and learn about the elder races.

edit: Forgot to add he gets to sleep with a hot elf princess as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

86 (I believe), as per the deleted scene in Two Towers.
87. Born in 2931, Fellowship departed in 3018
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So close!
jamaggie06
AG
NERDS!!!!!!
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge LOTR fanboy. But, isn't it presumptuous to assume this will be a massive GoT-like success? 5 seasons guaranteed???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.