****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,899,496 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roberts Rebellion after the kidnapping of Roberts Girlfriend, Ned Starks sister.
Ol Jock 99
AG
aTmAg said:

Another question for the experts:

Did the show/book ever explain how king Robert came into power? So Jamie kills the mad king, and then what? I'd think that Jamie would have been executed for that or maybe his dad would gain power or something. How did the Baratheons step in and take over?
Tywin was in the process of sacking the city. Tywin had been backing Robert financially (and secretly). As C@ mentioned, it was Robert's war, so Tywin correctly knew that challenging Robert at the height of his popularity would be unwise.
Teddy Perkins
AG

These videos are great for backstory.
aTmAg
AG
Was all this in the show? Or the books? I don't remember any of these details.
Ol Jock 99
AG
aTmAg said:

Told in spinets here and there, mainly in the first 3 seasons.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
wangus12
AG
I'm pretty sure Robert was seen as somewhat of an heir to throne anyways because the Baratheon's are related to the Targs. The 1st Baratheon was supposedly the ******* brother of Aegon the Conqueror.
wangus12
AG
aTmAg said:

Those videos are all on the Blu-rays. They do them for every season
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Sarduakar said:

Robert and Ned killed Rhaegar ( at the battle of the Trident?) and since Robert was basically the instigator of the Rebellion he became king. Jamie had left King landing and went back home to daddy.

It was more than that.

Robert was actually in the bloodline of succession.

After Rhaegar and then Aerys the Mad King were killed it would have fallen to:
  • Rhaegar's wife Elia Martell and then children (Rhaenys and Aegon VI) but they were also slain by knights of the house Lannister - Ser Amory Lorch and Ser Gregor Clegane.
  • Rhaegar's brother Viserys Targaryen - taken to Essos in exile
  • unborn Daenerys Targaryen - also taken into exile after her birth (mother Rhaella died in childbirth)
  • Robert Baratheon - cousin to Aerys
  • Stannis Baratheon
  • Renly Baratheon

Robert, Stannis and Renly had a Targaryen grandmother - Rhaelle was married to Lord Ormund Baratheon and they had one son Steffon who was the father of Robert, Stannis and Renly.

So it was much more than just a right of conquest - with the rest of the family dead or in exile he was the rightful next in line.

Jamie was despised as an oathbreaker anyway and would have had trouble uniting people behind him and Robert had control of all the forces that defeated the Tergs except perhaps the Lannisters but it would have been a futile attempt to defeat Robert then.

Hello there
Sarduakar said:

Robert and Ned killed Rhaegar ( at the battle of the Trident?) and since Robert was basically the instigator of the Rebellion he became king. Jamie had left King landing and went back home to daddy.

Jaime was actually in the throne room when Ned arrived at King's Landing. (In fact I believe it's mentioned he was sitting on the Iron Throne.)

Obviously Ned wasn't having that and told him to GTFO. He kept it safe for Robert. (And Littlefinger mentions he could've/should've taken it for himself.)
G Martin 87
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

aTmAg said:

Told in spinets here and there, mainly in the first 3 seasons.
Told in upright pianos? Or did you mean snippets?

Besides leading the rebellion, Robert was King Aerys' cousin. Rhaelle Targaryen was his grandmother. So he did have a legitimate claim.
Phrasing
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Sarduakar said:

It was more than that.

Robert was actually in the bloodline of succession.

After Rhaegar and then Aegys were killed it would have fallen to:
  • Rhaegar's wife Elia Martell and then children (Rhaenys and Aegon VI) but they were also slain by knights of the house Lannister - Ser Amory Lorch and Ser Gregor Clegane.
  • Rhaegar's brother Viserys Targaryen - taken to Essos in exile
  • unborn Daenerys Targaryen - also taken into exile after her birth (mother Rhaella died in childbirth)
  • Robert Baratheon - cousin to Aerys
  • Stannis Baratheon
  • Renly Baratheon

Robert, Stannis and Renly had a Targaryen grandmother - Rhaelle was married to Lord Ormund Baratheon and they had one son Steffon who was the father of Robert, Stannis and Renly.

So it was much more than just a right of conquest - with the rest of the family dead or in exile he was the rightful next in line.

Jamie was despised as an oathbreaker anyway and would have had trouble uniting people behind him and Robert had control of all the forces that defeated the Tergs except perhaps the Lannisters but it would have been a futile attempt to defeat Robert then.

Correct. And not to mention part of the deal was that Robert wed Cersei Lannister - so the Lannisters were tied to the throne as well.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The best part of those videos is it's the actors doing the narration, if you listen closely.
Luke Smith
A couple videos I found this morning that got me hyped up for the new season. Just ready for it to be back

Stive
AG
Those are great.

That Bohemian Rhapsody one just reinforces why I love the Hound so much.
Luke Smith
wangus12
AG
HBO GO put out videos about with the actors describing their plot lines across the series in their own words. I've linked them below if ya'll want to watch them. They are about 10-15 minutes in length and pretty cool.

Jon Snow: Part 1 / Part 2
Daenerys Targaryen: Part 1 / Part 2
Tyrion Lannister: Part 1 / Part 2
Cersei Lannister: Part 1 / Part 2
Jaime Lannister: Part 1 / Part 2
Arya Stark: Part 1 / Part 2
Sansa Stark: Part 1 / Part 2
Bran Stark: Part 1 / Part 2
Davos Seaworth: Part 1 / Part 2
Sandor Clegane: Part 1 / Part 2
Jorah Mormont: Part 1 / Part 2
Samwell Tarly: Part 1 / Part 2

HtownAg92
AG
Watching the videos reminded me of something that needs to be reconciled. So we learn that Raegar and Lyanna Stark were actually in love and married, thus legitimizing Jon/Aegon as heir to the Targaryan throne.

But wasn't Raegar married to Ellia Martell, with kids? How can the second marriage legitimize Jon if it is bigamy? Is that explained, or did I miss something?
Hello there
Premiere magazine reports that the final season will start out with two hour long episodes while the remaining four episodes will be 80 minutes long each.
ja86
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Watching the videos reminded me of something that needs to be reconciled. So we learn that Raegar and Lyanna Stark were actually in love and married, thus legitimizing Jon/Aegon as heir to the Targaryan throne.

But wasn't Raegar married to Ellia Martell, with kids? How can the second marriage legitimize Jon if it is bigamy? Is that explained, or did I miss something?
it was unusual but there was some history that targaryens did have multiple wives. For example, Aegon I married both his sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.
Desert Ag
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Just finished rewatching season 7. In one of the later episodes when Sam and Gilly are still in Oldtown, Gilly is reading aloud from one of Sam's transcriptions of an old manuscript and reads that Raegar and Ellia's marriage was annulled.
M.C. Swag
AG
HtownAg92 said:

How can the second marriage legitimize Jon if it is bigamy? Is that explained, or did I miss something?
Because of a ridiculous retcon.
redbaron788
AG
So, last episode is most likely going to be called "A Song of Ice and Fire" right?
I remember an episode where Sam is saying history books should have poetic titles, so I could see the ending be like Lord of the Rings with him finishing the book.
redline248
AG
Wasn't there already an episode called ice and fire?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
There's one called fire and blood but that's the closest I think
Swarely
Rewatching the series while biking on my trainer (thanks broken hand). I had forgotten about the part at the end of S1 where Pycelle suddenly became a different person. It was never addressed.

I went looking and found this deleted scene that explains it.

Just found it interesting.
Thisguy1
Swarely
Thisguy1 said:

I actually don't think Westeros is United at the end. I think they go back to separate kings.
Hello there
Nice find.
Phrasing
AG
Bran coming in as the heavy favorite - wow! Would be a fitting ending. The little kid that got pushed out the window in Season 1 is the ruler at the end. Don't see it happening though
Ol Jock 99
AG
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I actually don't think Westeros is United at the end. I think they go back to separate kings.

Yep. I think Westeros will be heavily damaged by the end and people will be focused on trying to survive the winter and rebuild with what's left. A war with everyone who ever died seems like it could be pretty taxing.
CoachRTM
AG
Jon and Daenerys' child kind of came out of nowhere from the last betting odds list.... obviously they would both die in this scenario.

This is complete guesswork, but I would imagine based on the proximity of the white walkers, and that they don't sleep at night, I assume they are no more than a year away from marching on King's landing (probably less).... which means that I could easily see this season cover 1-2 years worth of chronological time.

I guess they could show a 1 year old baby sitting on the throne (literally or figuratively) at the end of the season, or have a 10 year "flash forward" at the very end of the season and show the child re-shaping a broken kingdom. It would fit Martin's "bittersweet end" comment, but I'm not sure I like it.

I'm still rooting for the Night King
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Swarely said:

Phrasing
AG
So we are rewatching the series and got to Tyrion's trial. One, what a great acting job by Dinklage at the end there. So, so good.

Second - do we ever find out how Shae gets back to King's landing? The last we had heard about her was at Joffry's wedding when Bron swore to Tyrion that he watched her get on the boat and have it sail away. I don't think he was lying to Tyrion but could be wrong.

How/who got her off that boat and back to King's landing?

First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.