****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,292 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, the Jonas bro is her fiance.
smokeythebear
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy cow, I didn't even recognize Joffrey!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Mountain needs a cameo on The Mandalorian for sure
Urban Ag
AG
I am sitting at my desk in my home office in a "Winter is Not Coming" Texas flag t-shirt.

Nerding out GOT style.
Prosperdick
AG
smokeythebear said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy cow, I didn't even recognize Joffrey!
He looks normal and not like an incest kid like on the show. Now I'm a little sad I cheered his death.
aTmAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

So my wife, being the amazing woman she is, says to me the other day..."hey baby, are you getting excited for Game of Thrones?" She got in to this a couple of seasons ago. She's even done the Dany costume a few times.

And it really hit me. In about eight weeks this is over. Done. I had never heard of GOT or GRRM until S1 premiered on HBO back in 2011. Outside of Star Wars, fantasy/SciFi is just not my thing. But I watched S1 of GOT and was hooked. Went on Amazon and bought the four book pack.

In 2012 I had a health scare that put me in the hospital while they ran every test on me known to modern medicine. I read about half of a Storm of Swords to distract myself and pass the time while all the machines I was hooked up to did their thing. When I finally got released all my wife wanted to do was talk about my condition and all I wanted to do was tell her about the book I was reading.

I get it. Book readers and all of our "actually" comments over the years got annoying to series only watchers. But if you read the books, you know how infectious they became. The level of complexity and character development is like nothing I have ever experienced literary wise. You read those books, read them again, and you get completely invested in these characters. For people like me, it's not the genre, it's the lives GRRM created and how completely the pull you in. For example, I can't think of a more perfectly developed literary character than Jamie Lannister. It's priceless.

Anyway, and again, outside of Star Wars, I have never been this invested in anything in the world of pop culture/entertainment than I am in GOT. I will be sad to see it end.

Thank you GRRM/HBO.
Is it generally accepted that he is not going to write any more books? Or does he plan on finishing it out?
jenn96
AG
Quote:

Is it generally accepted that he is not going to write any more books? Or does he plan on finishing it out?
It's generally accepted. GRRM still makes noises as if he's planning to finish the series but it's been 8 years since the last book came out and there's no indication that a new book is remotely on the horizon. And GRRM has made comments over the years (like last 15 years) about how much he hates the writing process, how easily distracted he gets, what a gorilla the books are, etc.

He's working on other projects and with the new prequel series to distract him I just can't imagine any scenario where ASOIAF is actually completed on paper. He's also made it explicitly clear - and his wife has concurred - that if he passes, no one will get the rights to finish the books a la Wheel of Time. Which sucks. I love the series and think it's been fantastically done but the books are great too and there are a lot of characters and details from the books that I'd love to see where they went.
aTmAg
AG
jenn96 said:

Quote:

It's generally accepted. GRRM still makes noises as if he's planning to finish the series but it's been 8 years since the last book came out and there's no indication that a new book is remotely on the horizon. And GRRM has made comments over the years (like last 15 years) about how much he hates the writing process, how easily distracted he gets, what a gorilla the books are, etc.

He's working on other projects and with the new prequel series to distract him I just can't imagine any scenario where ASOIAF is actually completed on paper. He's also made it explicitly clear - and his wife has concurred - that if he passes, no one will get the rights to finish the books a la Wheel of Time. Which sucks. I love the series and think it's been fantastically done but the books are great too and there are a lot of characters and details from the books that I'd love to see where they went.
So I haven't read the books and I'm not a literary critic or anything, but it seems to me that GRRM could go down as another Tolkien if he finished them. Maybe better based on Urban's glowing praise. Imagine Star Wars (the original Trilogy) if Lucas got tired of it and blew off RoTJ.
Urban Ag
AG
I would recommend putting them on your bucket list to read. You'll fly through the first three as they are simply amazing and don't let up. It's like the literary equivalent of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Book three in particular (A Storm of Swords) is mind blowing. IMO.

And that's really where the problem started for the books. GRRM started this out as a three book series. Then he really expanded the story in the second book and declared it would take him five books to complete the whole story.

The third book closed out a ton of arcs and really had him in a position to wrap it up in the last two books. Dany conquered Mereen. The Wildlings were defeated by Stannis and the Night's Watch. The war of the Five Kings was over and Tommen sat the Iron Throne, controlled by Cersei. Tyrion was on his way to join Dany. Etc. But instead of keeping the story on track, GRRM just completely blew it out in books 4 and 5. Very little advanced. He added a bunch of characters and story arcs, most of which HBO didn't even bother with. Jamie and Brienne endlessly wander the Riverlands. Dany's arc just kind of grinds to a halt. The Faith Militant, Brotherhood without Banners, Dorne, all of the rabbit holes that don't advance the story.

He literally created such a monster I honestly don't think he knows how to finish it out. And as jenn96 noted, he's pretty open about the fact that he has other interests and projects. Frankly I just don't think the desire is there for him.
aTmAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

I would recommend putting them on your bucket list to read. You'll fly through the first three as they are simply amazing and don't let up. It's like the literary equivalent of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Book three in particular (A Storm of Swords) is mind blowing. IMO.

And that's really where the problem started for the books. GRRM started this out as a three book series. Then he really expanded the story in the second book and declared it would take him five books to complete the whole story.

The third book closed out a ton of arcs and really had him in a position to wrap it up in the last two books. Dany conquered Mereen. The Wildlings were defeated by Stannis and the Night's Watch. The war of the Five Kings was over and Tommen sat the Iron Throne, controlled by Cersei. Tyrion was on his way to join Dany. Etc. But instead of keeping the story on track, GRRM just completely blew it out in books 4 and 5. Very little advanced. He added a bunch of characters and story arcs, most of which HBO didn't even bother with. Jamie and Brienne endlessly wander the Riverlands. Dany's arc just kind of grinds to a halt. The Faith Militant, Brotherhood without Banners, Dorne, all of the rabbit holes that don't advance the story.

He literally created such a monster I honestly don't think he knows how to finish it out. And as jenn96 noted, he's pretty open about the fact that he has other interests and projects. Frankly I just don't think the desire is there for him.
Would those be mind blowing since I've now seen the show? Or do I basically know the story minus the details and a bunch of characters?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aTmAg said:

Urban Ag said:

Would those be mind blowing since I've now seen the show? Or do I basically know the story minus the details and a bunch of characters?

The honest answer is who knows. The analysis above is spot on.

I will say that I enjoy TV Cersei way more than book Cersei. But that's about it. GRRM's version of Dorne for example, is heads above the tv show for one example. Prince Doran and his bodyguard are actual badass characters instead of plot devices.
aTmAg
AG
Out of curiosity, did he write 1-3 prior to the HBO show and 4-5 during the show? I wonder if the show sorta ruined it for him. For example, I understand that the author of Silence of the Lambs never watched the movie because he didn't want to inadvertently write a sequel to the movie rather than his book.

I do find it interesting how you guys who have read the books still like the show. For other shows, people usually say that the book is way better (and I suspect at typically right) and that the books ruined the show for them.

Perhaps that is because the show is filling in a hole that the books can't because they won't be finished?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
C@LAg said:

honestly books 4 and 5 are crap,
Clearly you've forgotten about the parts where Cersei goes full lesbo with the Myrish chick.
aTmAg
AG
C@LAg said:

aTmAg said:

Out of curiosity, did he write 1-3 prior to the HBO show and 4-5 during the show? I wonder if the show sorta ruined it for him. For example, I understand that the author of Silence of the Lambs never watched the movie because he didn't want to inadvertently write a sequel to the movie rather than his book.

I do find it interesting how you guys who have read the books still like the show. For other shows, people usually say that the book is way better (and I suspect at typically right) and that the books ruined the show for them.

Perhaps that is because the show is filling in a hole that the books can't because they won't be finished?
all were written before the show aired, although book 5 was published around season 1.
So there goes that theory.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Urban Ag said:

The honest answer is who knows. The analysis above is spot on.

I will say that I enjoy TV Cersei way more than book Cersei. But that's about it. GRRM's version of Dorne for example, is heads above the tv show for one example. Prince Doran and his bodyguard are actual badass characters instead of plot devices.

Yeah I would say the books basically have 10x more depth than the shows but that can be good or bad.

- it's great for things like Dorne being done right and backstory (legends and history and prophecies) and the many more characters some of which are good (Quentyn Martell, Belwas, Lady Stoneheart, some of the other Greyjoys)
- it's not so great for some of the dumb misdirection plot lines (Young Griff, Jon Connington) and long descriptions of the food on the Iron Islands or the different types of grass in the Dothraki Sea.

Mixed bag. but I really have enjoyed all of the books. All are at least very good to me but yes the first three are superb.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aTmAg said:

Definitely the fact he will never finish the story has something to do with it, but I think the main thing is that its a show on HBO. If it had been packaged into a movie, I'd probably hate it. If it had been a show on ABC, god it would have sucked. But the budget of HBO allows it to be awesome and tell the story in nearly as much detail as the books. Honestly the first 2 seasons are pretty much shot for shot with the first two books.

I've admitted this before, but I actually didn't realize he had split the character in books 4 and 5, so I was at least halfway through the 4th just getting angrier and angrier at all the time spent in King's Landing and wondering when the hell we were going to get a chapter about Dany or Jon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The idea of GoT on ABC makes me sad inside.
Urban Ag
AG
Probably true. But you gotta admit, the guy has game at describing food, armor, horses, castles, and sex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The show automatically wins due to real-life bewbs.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Claude!
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The idea of GoT on ABC makes me sad inside.

Tonight, on a very special episode of Game of Thrones, big brother Robb gets married and learns a very important lesson about not keeping your promises.
redline248
AG
The books are like...

Imagine reading Harry Potter, and then all of a sudden 3 books in you start reading a bunch of chapters about Dobby's cousin who lives with a minor wizard family. How they love him and tell him he's a great elf and that the family would be so sad without him. But they never give him any clothes and let him be free, b/c after all, he's just an elf. And then he writes letters back and forth to Dobby and learns about Dobby being freed, thanks to Harry.

So he starts dreaming about getting the neighbor kid to trick his owner's daughter into giving him some clothes. All the daydreaming causes him to slack off during the house chores, so his owners start to get upset and treat him worse. They make him sleep in the dogs kennel, and only give him scraps to eat. But not like the whole pieces of chicken the kids didn't finish...just some gnawed bones and crumbs, and old milk. Then before he know it his daydreams turn into ways to kill the family and be free of them that way. Then....

and on and on and on...

Meanwhile you're sitting there going "what the f-ck is happening with the Tri-wizard tournament???!"
Urban Ag
AG
C@LAg said:

Urban Ag said:

Probably true. But you gotta admit, the guy has game at describing food, armor, horses, castles, and sex.
and that also explains book 4 ending up as books 4 & 5.
Had he just left out Young Griff/Connington, Quentyn Martell, Dorne, and shortened up Brienne and Jamie's Riverlands escapade a bit, it would have all fit nicely in one book. None of that stuff has added up to squat in the series.

Not to mention, the entire Quentyn Martell arc started and ended in the same book and did absolutely nothing for the story. I honestly think he had something cute in mind there, couldn't think his way through it, and didn't want to have to go through editing Dany's POV chapters so he just left it in. Complete nothing burger.
aTmAg
AG
Do the books have some sort of obvious delineations where you guys can definitively say that he split book 4 into books 4 and 5? How do you know that he didn't always intend for that to be 2 separate books? Especially when the show hadn't come out yet?
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The show automatically wins due to real-life bewbs.
No Arianne Martell loses 100 points for house D&B (to keep with my Harry Potter theme)
redline248
AG
aTmAg said:

Do the books have some sort of obvious delineations where you guys can definitively say that he split book 4 into books 4 and 5? How do you know that he didn't always intend for that to be 2 separate books? Especially when the show hadn't come out yet?
The obvious delineation is when you read the foreward of book 4 and he says "This book won't have a lot of your favorite characters in it."
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aTmAg
AG
redline248 said:

aTmAg said:

The obvious delineation is when you read the foreward of book 4 and he says "This book won't have a lot of your favorite characters in it."
Oh, so you are saying he should have just blown off book 4 and gone straight to 5? (and then write 6 with his extra time?)
canadiaggie
AG
Some of Gurm's wonderful writing:

"The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to *****" Tyrion IX, ADWD

"Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was ****ting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water." some Daenerys chapter ADWD

"She was sopping wet when he entered her. "Damn you," she said. "Damn you damn you damn you." He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her **** became the world."
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.