****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

4 weeks and counting until the premiere
YES!!!
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

9 weeks and counting until it's all over forever
NOOOOOoooooooo!
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

9 weeks and counting until it's all over forever
I hate you
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Most traumatic TV endings for me - not the quality of the last show but how much it pained me that it was over:

1. Cheers - just soo good in all periods (coach or woodie, diane or rebecca) and the supporting cast. it was a weekly visit to the neighborhood bar for me as well. lots of memories
2. Sopranos - my first show of this nature and was so groundbreaking, i still miss it.
3. Seinfeld - just so creative and out there, but about nothing, could have gone forever and i would have watched
4. Breaking Bad - it needed to end in some ways not because of anything quality related but that storyline had to have a conclusion and not be dragged out due to it's nature (both the drug business itself and his diagnosis, etc.). but I never wanted it to end really. just inevitable.
5. The Wire - gut wrenching really but it had run it's course in 5 dramatic and different seasons looking at so many sides. i felt spent after that.
6. ST: TNG - that's my generation for sci-fi nerds it was a staple for us in water cooler talk for it's entire run and so many situations remind me of episodes still (i reference darmak and jalad at tanagra a lot - lol)
7. M*A*S*H - people complain about the last couple of years but it was soooo great to me throughout. it's like i grew up with them
8. The Office - lost it's way post Michael so it probably had to end
9. Mad Men - i wasn't really done, i'd love a follow-up on them, it wasn't too traumatic though. we got a glimpse of a few years and it was fascinating
10. LOST - it seemed traumatic then, so much invested in it, but with the letdown of the end it is now not as missed as I would have thought at the time - it's the last time I believed writers have the entire arc figured out beforehand. i'll never buy that line gain.
11. How I Met You Mother - again just sooo invested in it. I bought in early. Sorta glad it finally got there but was sad to see them go.

GOT is likely going to surpass these all in my despair. ugh.

C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zombie Jon Snow said:


10. LOST - it seemed traumatic then, so much invested in it, but with the letdown of the end it is now not as missed as I would have thought at the time - it's the last time I believed writers have the entire arc figured out beforehand. i'll never buy that line gain.
11. How I Met You Mother - again just sooo invested in it. I bought in early. Sorta glad it finally got there but was sad to see them go.

GOT is likely going to surpass these all in my despair. ugh.


should have stopped at 9. you were doing so well up to that point.

j/k. mostly.

but some of those are like those people still watching The Walking Dead.

The show sucks, but they have so much time invested in it, that they are continuing.

It is a sunk cost. Move on.
Social Media Influencer
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

Most traumatic TV endings
A.L.F.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well yeah but that's also why they were 10 and 11.

Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:


10. LOST - it seemed traumatic then, so much invested in it, but with the letdown of the end it is now not as missed as I would have thought at the time - it's the last time I believed writers have the entire arc figured out beforehand. i'll never buy that line gain.
11. How I Met You Mother - again just sooo invested in it. I bought in early. Sorta glad it finally got there but was sad to see them go.

GOT is likely going to surpass these all in my despair. ugh.


should have stopped at 9. you were doing so well up to that point.

j/k. mostly.

but some of those are like those people still watching The Walking Dead.

The show sucks, but they have so much time invested in it, that they are continuing.

It is a sunk cost. Move on.
I've learned my lesson. I still watch, just wait for the season to end so I can fast forward and binge it.
Goose06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still watch the walking dead but its at like 10pm and after I have had a good amount to drink.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TIL Walking Dead is still on.
Grimey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One thing I thought about today: Samwell Tarly could very well end up as Lord of Highgarden, Protector of the Reach, and Warden of the South.

All of the Tyrells are dead, so Highgarden will need a new family to come in. Of all those in the Reach, the Tarlys are arguably the most prominent. Sam is the last (male) Tarly.
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could see Gendry being given Storm's End as well.
MuckRaker96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a bit sad when Seinfeld ended, but it's on so much in reruns it's like it's never gone off the air.

My saddest series finales for never being anymore episodes are

1) The Shield
2) Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined series)
3) Cheers - grew up with it, ended my freshman year at A&M. My roommate's girlfriend came over to watch the series finale and fell asleep around 6 or so. We changed all the clocks in our room - and got our suite mates to do likewise, and when she woke up pretended she had missed it and we hadn't thought to record it. Surprising how quickly a 5'2" Tawainese girl busted out the swear words.
4) Star Wars Rebels - best payoff ending of any of the 4.


It's been a long wait for GoT's final season, I don't know if it will top the other 4. They were all shows that you could count on week to week, I feel like we're being made to beg for GoT to come back with the 2-year wait. I appreciate them wanting to really make them a spectacle, but part of being a great TV show for me is the week-to-week feeling of an old friend.
JAggie2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think mine isn't necessarily one show, but the old NBC Thursday night block with Community, Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock. Probably my all time favorite comedies, all in a 2 hour block. When they started leaving the block individually it sucked, but was still nice having the others on. Nothing will ever top that IMO.

I'm definitely going to miss GOT though. I've watched it from episode 1, ironically thinking that Sean Bean was finally going to survive something because at that point I hadn't read the books and had no idea how cruel GRRM was. After I realized there was a series of books I started reading, finishing the first book before the 1st season ended and then reading the rest between season 1 & 2. I almost feel like I've enjoyed Seasons 5-7 more since I don't know fully whats going to happen, even though I also feel like the writing has suffered not having the books as a full source material.

I'm just about to finish another re-watch of the whole series getting ready for the final season, and am about to start a re-watch of the MCU for Avengers: Endgame. Man April is going to be crazy, and bittersweet at the same time.

**Edit: Forgot about Scrubs. Forgot that also used to be NBC Thursdays, another favorite, and the REAL finale had me cutting onions. NBC comedies at the time definitely struck a chord with me back then.
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MuckRaker96 said:


4) Star Wars Rebels - best payoff ending of any of the 4.
It really was amazing> That whole second half of season 4 just amped and amped the story.
It was perfect Star Wars.
G Martin 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JAggie2007 said:

I think mine isn't necessarily one show, but the old NBC Thursday night block with Community, Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock. Probably my all time favorite comedies, all in a 2 hour block. When they started leaving the block individually it sucked, but was still nice having the others on. Nothing will ever top that IMO.
...
**Edit: Forgot about Scrubs. Forgot that also used to be NBC Thursdays, another favorite, and the REAL finale had me cutting onions. NBC comedies at the time definitely struck a chord with me back then.
Thursday nights on NBC have always been fantastic. This was the lineup back in the late '80s:

Cosby Show
Family Ties
Cheers
Night Court
Hill Street Blues/L.A. Law

That's a juggernaut lineup. Amazing.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What kind of ratings could HBO reach with S8? Any predictions?

For reference. (Highest rated ep is S7 finale, with 12M.)
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My predictions:

Premiere: 15M
Finale : 20M
Average per ep: 14M

It's kind of hard to track whether the premiere will have a big jump, and then see a midseason "slump" like some other seasons have had.

For the finale, I looked at BB as the closest zeitgest, "event" finale, which saw a massive jump in ratings. (Almost doubled the final season premiere.)
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
G Martin 87 said:

JAggie2007 said:

I think mine isn't necessarily one show, but the old NBC Thursday night block with Community, Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock. Probably my all time favorite comedies, all in a 2 hour block. When they started leaving the block individually it sucked, but was still nice having the others on. Nothing will ever top that IMO.
...
**Edit: Forgot about Scrubs. Forgot that also used to be NBC Thursdays, another favorite, and the REAL finale had me cutting onions. NBC comedies at the time definitely struck a chord with me back then.
Thursday nights on NBC have always been fantastic. This was the lineup back in the late '80s:

Cosby Show
Family Ties
Cheers
Night Court
Hill Street Blues/L.A. Law

That's a juggernaut lineup. Amazing.

Yeah I laughed when I read "the old NBC lineup". This was the one I recall most and first. It was great.

In fact during much of that run all 4 shows were in the top 10 of most watched shows and Cosby was #1.

Then we got a bunch of slow changes over the years as these were mixed in there as each show ended - Wings, Different World, Mad About You, Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends, Will and Grace, My Name is Earl all predated the Community, Parks and Rec, The Office and 30 Rock lineup which was the last of the great Thursday blocks.

There were many more minor shows too that did not last more than a season or two or were moved around to and from other nights like - Just Shoot Me, Caroline in the City, Veronica's Closet, The Single Guy, Boston Common, Suddenly Susan, and Scrubs was there briefly, etc.
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The death of the family sitcom bums me out.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My predictions:

Premiere: 15M
Finale : 20M
Average per ep: 14M

It's kind of hard to track whether the premiere will have a big jump, and then see a midseason "slump" like some other seasons have had.

For the finale, I looked at BB as the closest zeitgest, "event" finale, which saw a massive jump in ratings. (Almost doubled the final season premiere.)

Not a bad estimate.

Every season except one has seen a bigger debut audience than the prior years finale.

So definitely going over 12M for premier. I think 15M may be too high though I'll say 13.5M.

Every season did slump a bit in the middle but S7 barely did and only for Ep 2 and 3. But this is so short of a run - I'd say it's going to stay between 13M and 14M for E2-4. E5 will see the first jump as people anticipate that penultimate GOT episode we usually get so 15M and the finale around 17.5M. Average 14.5M.

Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're probably pretty spot on, but I think you might be underestimating how much of a jump the finale will get. (And I'm probably overestimating it.)

I was gonna look at the school schedules to see if that might affect it, but then I realized that is irrelevant in this case.

But one thing in its favor is that it's a relatively quiet weekend at the BO that weekend, with John Wick 3 being the only major release.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah hard to say on the finale - i could see anywhere up to 20M possible. I think HBO actually limits it more though - you can't just tune in like AMC for BB or some other finales back in the days of OTA channels.

Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always wondered how they count bars that air the show.

Does it count the each television as 1 viewer? Do they know it's a bar and assign it a set # of viewers?
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't HBO crack down on bars showing it a few years ago?

I know that several bars in DFW got sent letters to stop doing watch parties. Most of them still did it, but they stopped advertising them.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember reading that circa 2015, but I think at some point they just leaned into it?

I know that the main bar in NYC for GoT watch parties was still going strong for season 7.

That's actually the bar that GRRM went to during S1, which is pretty cool. Sadly I never saw him there myself.
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That seems to be the case. I can't imagine they hurt HBO sales too much. Most of the people (like myself) that go to those probably already have HBO at home, they're just wanted to watch it in a fun atmosphere.
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're probably pretty spot on, but I think you might be underestimating how much of a jump the finale will get. (And I'm probably overestimating it.)

I was gonna look at the school schedules to see if that might affect it, but then I realized that is irrelevant in this case.

But one thing in its favor is that it's a relatively quiet weekend at the BO that weekend, with John Wick 3 being the only major release.

So I'd pay 10 bucks to see the final episode in a theater with theater sound. I'd pay another 10 for Battle at Winterfell.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really wish they would have done this. Seeing 4x09 and 4x10 in IMAX was a pretty badass experience.
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I really wish they would have done this. Seeing 4x09 and 4x10 in IMAX was a pretty badass experience.


Alamo Drafthouse used to do 24 every week. Was an awesome experience.
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sick fan art.

smokeythebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sup, ya'll!

Just checking back in, haven't been on the Entertainment board for a few years (since Season 7 ended) but GoT is the only show I'll follow on TA and I'm just finishing up re-watching season 4 in preparation for Season 8. I'm running a bit behind so there's going to be a few marathon days needed in order to finish in time for the premiere.

What's the current status on discussing the Season 8 trailer? I've made it thus far without watching any trailers as I tend to enjoy being surprised, so I'm wondering if I should just skim at this point and wait to jump back in once the premiere happens. I'm fine with book stuff, FYI (not that it matters at this point in the storyline).
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's been a good bit of discussion in the past few pages. I'd skip them if you want avoid the trailers altogether.
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pulled from reddit

Page 47 of 417
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.