****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,579 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
AtlAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dorne.

Overall pretty useless, a couple of plot points with The mountains creation and Cersei's kid. How many times did we hear about their un-touched army that did nothing?
mm98
AG
Nope. On season two right now and enjoying it.

jschroeder
Yep.

I'd say Dexter had a worse ending but I can still throw seasons 1-4 on while I'm working and enjoy it.

Even the first scene of episode 1 had a completely different "this really doesn't even matter" feel to it now.
powerbelly
AG
I wont rewatch. Too much of a time commitment to pay off so poorly
redline248
AG
I am certainly in no rush to start watching it again.
digital_ag
AG
I'm going to give it some time, like a year or two, and then watch again.

Personally I think a rewatch will make season 8 and to a lesser degree s7 even worse. The contrast between early and late seasons was already so noticeable even without having watched in a long time. Can't imagine watching them all in a row would help that.
riley290
AG
I rewatched quite a few episodes (big moments) from previous seasons on the run up to s8 and had forgotten just how good seasons 1-4 (and quite a lot of 5) were. The episodes were written well and had interesting characters with pretty tight plots. I think I may find myself watching some seasons again but I doubt I'll revisit much of 6 and none of 7 and 8.

Just so disappointed at the flameout the last two seasons turned out to be. I had resigned myself to never getting the book endings (reader since 2001) and was hoping this would be a good substitute but now I hope he finds the fountain of youth and is able to finish writing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mm98
AG
I'm in the lead up to the battle of Blackwater right now and it's incredible. I didn't start watching weekly until S3, so S1 and S2 I caught on a binge leading up to the S3 premier.

Definitely better and makes more sense the second time around.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I've never watched any show again no matter how much I loved it so this is no different to me.

I do love to occasionally watch episodes of Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men again but I've never felt compelled to do a full series or even season rewatch. If I see them on I'll watch the rest of that episode or something.

I've never seen LOST again and if I've seen it on I flip right by - that was such a necessary sort of commitment from start to finish it seemed. Picking up sporadic episodes here and there makes no sense.

The only one I've really considered doing a series rewatch of is The Wire. Each season is just so unique and the overall series so good.

Justified I loved and maybe I could rewatch also. I don't ever see episodes on though so I haven't seen it at all since the first viewing.

GOT for me will always be very fondly remembered and I think it will hold up well. Just don't know that I'll ever watch it start to finish but I'll enjoy the episodes I see on HBO at different times just randomly.

Cassius
I'll never re-watch and I'll never recommend anyone start. They took the greatest series ever and ruined it.

They painted the Mona Lisa, then finished her off with a mustache.
NukeAg10
AG
The positive out of all this is that bc of this season, breaking bad is now the number 1 rated tv show of all time on imdb. All hail the king.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NukeAg10 said:

The positive out of all this is that bc of this season, breaking bad is now the number 1 rated tv show of all time on imdb. All hail the king.

Sure. I mean GOT is still #2.

And deservedly so. Very few shows end really strong. In context it's still one of the best ever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bearamedic99
AG
My only hope for the prequel series is that they have a character based on every character Paul Rudd has ever played and have him found House Clegane.
Swarely
NukeAg10 said:

Uhhh breaking bad is number 5. Chernobyl is number 1.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Swarely said:

NukeAg10 said:

Uhhh breaking bad is number 5. Chernobyl is number 1.

Chernobyl is a mini series not a TV series. Probably some other category that ranks both but this is their TV series rating list which is what he was talking about:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=100000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series&

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

yeah here is the one combining mini series and TV series - they call it TV "Shows"

https://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv

NukeAg10
AG
Completely agree. Game of thrones was amazing, but slowly fizzled out, not with acting or entertainment, but definitely on storytelling. Breaking bad only got better and better as it went on, and had probably the strongest closing season of any drama ever. GoT is still in my top 10 shows ever, so I'm not arguing that.
DTP02
AG
So I finally finished GOT two days ago, watching 4, 5, and 6 right after each other, after finally getting some time in what had been a very busy schedule. I somehow managed to not get spoiled beforehand.

Having missed out on being able to experience it real time with everyone else, I'm aware that people are generally disappointed or even angry, but I'm curious as to the specific nature of the complaints. I can't go back and wade thru the weeks of discussion I missed on here to figure it out.

For me, I'm generally pleased. As we zoomed past the books, the show had become more of an epic action series than a highly wrought drama with epic action.

IMO part of this was a natural occurrence because there are so many big events which have to occur there isn't as much time for subtleties. At least you can't do that without stretching it out considerably, which I think everyone probably agrees would have been better, but there were practical considerations at play I'm sure.

The other part of this is that the writers and show runners didn't have the ability to pull off subtleties without the guidance of the books to rely on. To me the main issue is that their implementation of GRRM's vision looked like a bullet point summary because they actually were relying on a bullet point summary instead of 1000 pages of highly descriptive literature.

So, I went into this last season expecting a lot of what I got from season 7: big, impressive set pieces and only broad strokes in between. My hope was primarily that they would be able to generally get the ending right, and I think they did.

Dany going nuts was a fitting outcome and one I saw happening a while back. Jon making the truly heroic play that doesn't get received as heroic was also the right outcome. Those are the two big strokes and both work well. Bran as the King was a good twist. And the final notes for the "main" three Starks were good: Sansa ruling an independent north, Arya doing her own thing, and Jon seemingly sentenced to an unjust end, but resulting in him being free to go back to the "real" north, where he was happy.

So IMO they got the broad strokes right, it's just that so many of the subtleties which should have gone into getting there weren't accomplished adequately. It was clumsily executed, and that's where the disappointment arises. The only reason I wasn't that disappointed in the execution was because I had already assumed the execution would be clumsy.

My question is this:

Is that how most people see it, that it's more of an issue with poor execution, or do they not even like the broad strokes?

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
BOTH

Those that are ok with it are generally in your camp. Ok with the turns and ok with the end result and agree that it was mostly foreshadowed.

Then there are some very vocal ones that completely hated it and think the whole thing was ruined. They also think it was rushed but don't appreciate the end outcome or how we got there.

Hard to say percentage-wise I still insist the outright haters are a minority like was evident in our poll after E5 showed.

cbr
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

BOTH

Those that are ok with it are generally in your camp. Ok with the turns and ok with the end result and agree that it was mostly foreshadowed.

Then there are some very vocal ones that completely hated it and think the whole thing was ruined. They also think it was rushed but don't appreciate the end outcome or how we got there.

Hard to say percentage-wise I still insist the outright haters are a minority like was evident in our poll after E5 showed.

I can write a cool ending with nearly anyone 'winning' or anyone 'dying'

What cant be reconciled is turning one of the most complex interesting characters in tv history into a two bit cheap simpleton villain at the very end, while completely throwing out the entire theme of the show to do so.

They should have just glued a hitler stache on danarys for 8-6.

That and throwing logic oit the window in 4 and 6. Or i guess 5 too. 5 made perfect sense in the theme of the show, but they ditched the theme completely for 6, so wtf.
SoTXAg09
AG
That's what bothered me the most. Dany goes from helping save humanity to torching innocents in less than 3 episodes.
mm98
AG
I don't know. As I stated I'm in S2 right now and Dany is at Quarth. She loses her cool and threatened to "burn the city to the ground" no less than 2-3 times in S2 alone. It's Jorah that calms her down mostly.

She's not this super compassionate person that I gave her credit for. She reminds me of a SJW in today's politics...at least up to this point in S2. Compassion is present but If you're not with her ideology, she will go scorched earth...literally and figuratively.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
mm98 said:

I don't know. As I stated I'm in S2 right now and Dany is at Quarth. She loses her cool and threatened to "burn the city to the ground" no less than 2-3 times in S2 alone. It's Jorah that calms her down mostly.

She's not this super compassionate person that I gave her credit for. She reminds me of a SJW in today's politics...at least up to this point in S2. Compassion is present but If you're not with her ideology, she will go scorched earth...literally and figuratively.

Exactly.

It was always there - they did a poor rushed job of showing the descent but...

from her point of view:
she basically sacrificed a dragon to enlist KL/Cersei and it amounted to nothing
Jorah died
Tyrion kept failing her and betrayed her at least twice
she lost another dragon
Missandei was killed
Varys betrayed her
even Grey Worm became overly hostile bent on revenge
and then Jon betrayed her and rejected her

add in the lack of any appreciation from anyone in Westeros and it was a recipe for disaster.

that's why there are those of us who say she always reacted with fire and blood. then her advisers would check her just enough to keep her from going over the edge. it was easier to judge her actions against other worse people as just but she also repeatedly threatened to do exactly what she did in the end - she always had to be talked into not doing it that way. and then all her advisers were either gone or she did not trust them.

that video comparing her to Cersei was one of the most intriguing. it showed her repeatedly threatening to do that and the way that she was raised and thought of herself as special (even god like) fed that ego.

the ends don't justify the means to a rational person - but she wasn't necessarily rational she had always just been held in check until the end.
SoTXAg09
AG
I don't disagree that she always had it in her, I meant it was entirely too rushed. And of course, Zombie Jon Snow has a pretty good dissertation on it.
Urban Ag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

mm98 said:

Exactly.

from her point of view:
she basically sacrificed a dragon to enlist KL/Cersei and it amounted to nothing
Jorah died
she lost another dragon
Missandei was killed
Varys betrayed her

add in the lack of any appreciation from anyone in Westeros and it was a recipe for disaster.

that's why there are those of us who say she always reacted with fire and blood. then her advisers would check her just enough to keep her from going over the edge. it was easier to judge her actions against other worse people as just but she also repeatedly threatened to do exactly what she did in the end - she always had to be talked into not doing it that way. and then all her advisers were either gone or she did not trust them.

that video comparing her to Cersei was one of the most intriguing. it showed her repeatedly threatening to do that and the way that she was raised and thought of herself as special (even god like) fed that ego.

the ends don't justify the means to a rational person - but she wasn't necessarily rational she had always just been held in check until the end.

Agreed. It's also, IMO, because Dany/Emelia are just so damn "wife zone". She's a lot like the AT&T chick in the commercials from a few years back where they hit gold on her. There was actual broad discussion about the AT&T girl and why those commercials with her were so popular. The obvious answer was obvious. For women, she isn't that intimidating. Yes, she is beautiful, but she is not Elle McPherson super model build and OMG I hate you for it. For dude's, she just looks like the hot girl next door and frankly, young and fertile. You get zoned in.

Dany's character had all the warning signs there all along. But fans were smitten with her. So when she did go all SS/Taliban/Khmer Rouge/Whatever, people freaked out and complained there was no logical build up.

IMO of course.
PatAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

mm98 said:

Exactly.

from her point of view:
Jorah died
she lost another dragon
Missandei was killed
Varys betrayed her

Agreed. It's also, IMO, because Dany/Emelia are just so damn "wife zone". She's a lot like the AT&T chick in the commercials from a few years back where they hit gold on her. There was actual broad discussion about the AT&T girl and why those commercials with her were so popular. The obvious answer was obvious. For women, she isn't that intimidating. Yes, she is beautiful, but she is not Elle McPherson super model build and OMG I hate you for it. For dude's, she just looks like the hot girl next door and frankly, young and fertile. You get zoned in.

Dany's character had all the warning signs there all along. But fans were smitten with her. So when she did go all SS/Taliban/Khmer Rouge/Whatever, people freaked out and complained there was no logical build up.

IMO of course.
nah
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'll rewatch; but probably fast forward any non-nude Daenerys scenes
PatAg
AG
Some random person made a series of videos that basically shows every Jon Snow scene and each video covers one season. Pretty good watch. Show was great overall, regardless of how you feel about the last two seasons.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PatAg said:

Some random person made a series of videos that basically shows every Jon Snow scene and each video covers one season. Pretty good watch. Show was great overall, regardless of how you feel about the last two seasons.

That would be a great idea for a rewatch. Kind of like the SNL video collections for each big name Star.

Do a recut per big POV character with just their scenes. Like mainly the ones vying for the throne.
Dany
Jon
Cersei
Tyrion
Arya
Sansa
And shorter ones for Robb and Robert and Stannis and even Ramsay.

Each one likely would be less than 1.5 hours per season. Some like an hour. But give you a focused view on one character all the way through.
JDUB08AG
AG
Once the night king and white walker story just ended abruptly, the show lost intrigue for me. That's part of why I still enjoyed season 7. That element of terror, the unknown, fear, etc. was so palpable for 7+ seasons. The fact they didn't make it further south in any form than Winterfell was disappointing.

In 3 episodes, the night king was killed, Cersei died from rocks, and kings landing fell. 3 episodes. 70 episodes of buildup and then someone comes up and kicks your magnificent tower of blocks down in seconds.
Al Bula
AG
WelchAg said:

Once the night king and white walker story just ended abruptly, the show lost intrigue for me. That's part of why I still enjoyed season 7. That element of terror, the unknown, fear, etc. was so palpable for 7+ seasons. The fact they didn't make it further south in any form than Winterfell was disappointing.

In 3 episodes, the night king was killed, Cersei died from rocks, and kings landing fell. 3 episodes. 70 episodes of buildup and then someone comes up and kicks your magnificent tower of blocks down in seconds.
careful dude, the regulars are going to show up any minute and tell you how wrong your take is and the execution of ASOIAF by highly respected D&D directors is brilliant. You should probably delete your post.
JCRiley09
AG
Literally no one is saying that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Exactly. You can see the turn and see the end game and understand it - and still say the execution was poor and it was definitely rushed.

I posted a long post detailing a slightly longer 7 episodes season with just 30 minutes of new content that would have worked a lot better. It is really almost inexplicable except that they were not storytellers and just took the end game an reverse engineered it without thought for the story and progression of character arcs after season 6.

FightinTexasAg15
AG
Anyone watching the documentary? Varys looked pissed at his death
First Page Last Page
Page 415 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.