****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,294 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

Texaggie7nine said:

He brings up a good point that I thought of initially after episode 7 but forgot about after episode 8.

Dany goes mad and burns KL BECAUSE of Jon letting his secret get out (Bran telling Sansa). It is because she is afraid of everyone in Westerose loving Jon that she decides to use fear as a tool to get and keep the throne.

If Bran knew everything, then he willingly participated in killing those people of KL.

Jon told Sansa, not Bran.

What?

Jon literally looks at Bran and says "tell them" referring to Sansa and Arya.

at 2:15

EDIT - just saw post above^

wangus12
AG
SAtxag16 said:

dlance said:

Texaggie7nine said:

He brings up a good point that I thought of initially after episode 7 but forgot about after episode 8.

Dany goes mad and burns KL BECAUSE of Jon letting his secret get out (Bran telling Sansa). It is because she is afraid of everyone in Westerose loving Jon that she decides to use fear as a tool to get and keep the throne.

If Bran knew everything, then he willingly participated in killing those people of KL.
It's debatable. In that scene, Jon told Bran to tell Sansa and Arya, then they cut away.

One of the many frustrating parts of the season. That conversation was something I wanted to see so badly and they cut it out for what? The 20 minute corny ass fire scene? ugh
Keep the fire scene. Cut that stupid as hell small council scene out of the final episode
jboog
AG
wangus12 said:

SAtxag16 said:

dlance said:

Texaggie7nine said:

It's debatable. In that scene, Jon told Bran to tell Sansa and Arya, then they cut away.

One of the many frustrating parts of the season. That conversation was something I wanted to see so badly and they cut it out for what? The 20 minute corny ass fire scene? ugh
Keep the fire scene. Cut that stupid as hell small council scene out of the final episode
Lol that was the absolute worst. I'm not sure what was worse, the dialogue/meeting itself or Tyrion straightening all the chairs before they came in.

The small council meeting and the meeting of the Lords of Westeros were just awful.
Woody2006
AG
All I really wanted out of this season was for Cersei and Bran to die an awful death and I got none of it.

Still not nearly as bad a season as the fanboys want to make it out to be.
staticdoor
AG
Should have ended it after episode 5. Leave the humans to continue to fight it out. That is the real game of thrones - it is never ending
Woody2006
AG
Also, (may have already been discussed) but if Jon had just ****ed Dany when she wanted him to would that have saved a million lives?

What a selfish *******
Al Bula
AG
Is there outage from the feminazi community yet that the male patriarchy took a female role model and made her go bat sht crazy? Or is it ok because two Hollywood Jewish bigwigs wrote her that way?
BallerStaf2003
AG

Ok it's official. Aaron Rodgers is now my favorite nfl player.
nikator
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

The scene where Sam proposes democracy was such bull***** They may as well just have said "Dilly! Dilly!" after laughing and be done with it.
Equally silly was Yarra smirking at it. The Kingsmoot is an Iron Islands tradition where the commoners do exactly what Sam was asking for.

But then again she launched a coup against the guy who was legitimately elected King by the Kingsmoot in violation of Ironborn law (in the books she goes looking for Theon since he was not present at the Kingsmoot and therefore is a loophole to challenge Theon) and somehow managed to conquer the Islands with one ship of men (similar to the force Theon had to conquer Winterfell). Luckily for her Dany killed most of the fighting men of the Iron Islands.
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
InternetFan02
AG
Just watched end of season 4 again. Still the best run of the show. What if they had paused after season 4 to wait for GRRM? It's not a bad ending. This was 2014. How quickly would he have finished the books if they insisted on waiting?

Stannis establishes control of Castle Black - want to see how GRRM has him take winterfell instead of that weakass season 5 ****

Daeny chains the dragons

Arya sails East

Bran meets the COTF and 3ER

Sansa headed to Winterfell

Cersei and Jaime openly ****ing in the castle

Tyrion kills Tywin, sails East with Varys
Urban Ag
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Ok it's official. Aaron Rodgers is now my favorite nfl player.
Aaron Rodgers is pretty much considered a dewsh bag in the league.

I do applaud him on the quality factor of his women though
Old Tom Morris
Rodgers is a gay sociopath.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bxu4ipZCx1b
bonfarr
AG
How did Sam become Grand Maester in only a few weeks? He dropped out of The Citadel after a short period without completing his studies and the Grand Maester is supposed to be the most senior Maester in the Seven/Six Kingdoms. It seemed like a huge stretch for fan service.
BarKeep_03
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
bonfarr said:

How did Sam become Grand Maester in only a few weeks? He dropped out of The Citadel after a short period without completing his studies and the Grand Maester is supposed to be the most senior Maester in the Seven/Six Kingdoms. It seemed like a huge stretch for fan service.

Complaining for the sake of complaining.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Cause he READ all those books he stole. Duh
Liquid Wrench
bonfarr said:

How did Cersei make Qyburn a big shot even though he had been dismissed by the Citadel? King Bran calls him Grand Maester, he's Grand Maester.
Fenrir
In D&D's defense, that haven't introduced many new characters that weren't essentially red shirts in the last couple seasons. Not really anybody left qualified.
ham98
If Arya wanted to know what's west of westeros why not ask bran?
Urban Ag
AG
bonfarr said:

The same way that my grandfather entered WWII in Dec 1943 as a 1st Lt and was a Major by Feb of 1945.
Urban Ag
AG
ham98 said:

That's not how the Force works!

/did I do that right?
M.C. Swag
AG
http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/21/thanks-new-zealand/

GRRM:
Quote:

As for finishing my book I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this if I don't have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I'm done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I'll be fine.

World con is July 29, 2020. The old man has 14 months.
bangobango
AG
Holy cow, this article perfectly nails what went wrong. Please, please, please read this if you hated the last season and read it if you were cool with it or you loved the last season, as I think it will help everybody understand either why it did not work for so many people.

Quote:

The show did indeed take a turn for the worse, but the reasons for that downturn go way deeper than the usual suspects that have been identified (new and inferior writers, shortened season, too many plot holes). It's not that these are incorrect, but they're just superficial shifts. In fact, the souring of Game of Thrones exposes a fundamental shortcoming of our storytelling culture in general: we don't really know how to tell sociological stories.

At its best, GOT was a beast as rare as a friendly dragon in King's Landing: it was sociological and institutional storytelling in a medium dominated by the psychological and the individual. This structural storytelling era of the show lasted through the seasons when it was based on the novels by George R. R. Martin, who seemed to specialize in having characters evolve in response to the broader institutional settings, incentives and norms that surround them.

After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that's unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That's the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

Quote:

But all that is surface stuff. Even if the new season had managed to minimize plot holes and avoid clunky coincidences and a clumsy Arya ex machina as a storytelling device, they couldn't persist in the narrative lane of the past seasons. For Benioff and Weiss, trying to continue what Game of Thrones had set out to do, tell a compelling sociological story, would be like trying to eat melting ice cream with a fork. Hollywood mostly knows how to tell psychological, individualized stories. They do not have the right tools for sociological stories, nor do they even seem to understand the job.

To understand the narrative lane shift, let's go back to a key question: Why did so many love Game of Thrones in the first place? What makes it stand out from so many other shows during an era critics call the Second Golden Age of Television because there are so many high-quality productions out there?

Quote:

One clue is clearly the show's willingness to kill off major characters, early and often, without losing the thread of the story. TV shows that travel in the psychological lane rarely do that because they depend on viewers identifying with the characters and becoming invested in them to carry the story, rather than looking at the bigger picture of the society, institutions and norms that we interact with and which shape us. They can't just kill major characters because those are the key tools with which they're building the story and using as hooks to hold viewers.

Quote:

The appeal of a show that routinely kills major characters signals a different kind of storytelling, where a single charismatic and/or powerful, along with his or her internal dynamics, doesn't carry the whole narrative and explanatory burden. Given the dearth of such narratives in fiction and in TV, this approach clearly resonated with a large fan base that latched on to the show.

In sociological storytelling, the characters have personal stories and agency, of course, but those are also greatly shaped by institutions and events around them. The incentives for characters' behavior come noticeably from these external forces, too, and even strongly influence their inner life.

Quote:

That tension between internal stories and desires, psychology and external pressures, institutions, norms and events was exactly what Game of Thrones showed us for many of its characters, creating rich tapestries of psychology but also behavior that was neither saintly nor fully evil at any one point. It was something more than that: you could understand why even the characters undertaking evil acts were doing what they did, how their good intentions got subverted, and how incentives structured behavior. The complexity made it much richer than a simplistic morality tale, where unadulterated good fights with evil.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1
bangobango
AG
Basically, I loved GOT b/c even though I thought a character like Jaime was a messed up SOB, I still could actually understand why he would push a little boy out of window in order to protect his, his sister, and his children's lives.

You ask ten different people why Dany burned down KL and you will get at least five different answers, if not more.
Counterpoint
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Counterpoint said:

"Ice Ice Baby Hodor" At the end...
gigemJTH12
AG
Did y'all see this? Can someone smarter than me explain to me what this is? What's the war against the white walkers?

Claude!
Thousands of years before the events of the series, the Children of the Forest ruled Westeros. Then the First Men came and wound up going to war with the Children. The war went poorly for the Children, and in their desperation they created the Night King, which was a mistake. The Night King and his White Walkers started tearing **** up, and the Children and the First Men joined forces to fight against him. Ultimately, this led to the Last Hero and his Fight for the Dawn, which defeated (but obviously didn't completely destroy) the threat of the Night King. After the victory, the Wall was built and the Night's Watch founded.

Spoiler tagged just in case.
saltydog13
AG
Woody2006 said:

Also, (may have already been discussed) but if Jon had just ****ed Dany when she wanted him to would that have saved a million lives?

What a selfish *******

Pretty much this. He had 2 chances to do it. Once at winterfell and once at dragonstone I believe.
i is smart
AG
Best ending would have been Meera rolling Bran off of a cliff.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

then we would argue about

• whether it was realistic for her to push him up there
  • why he did not see it coming
  • that he really didn't die he warged into a bunch of ravens and caught himself
  • that Howland Reed told her to do it because he knows about Jon

etc etc.
hbc07
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

Sports-Ag
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

swc93
AG
ham98 said:

Why not ask Bran to warg into Drogon and the two of them can ****ing fly there and be back in 30 minutes showtime? They could even pack a basket of Hot Pie's bread and a goat for a nice little lunch.
First Page Last Page
Page 412 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.