****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,657 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bangobango said:

combat wombat said:

I've missed a few pages. I can't keep up... I'll get to reading it and lose my spot pick up again and miss several pages. There's just too much getting posted for me to keep up with this thread.

It's impossible to keep up.

I don't think she's dead for simple fact that it doesn't fit previous shows or the books and I don't think they're going to throw a big thing like that in right at the end with just one episode remaining. If they were going to kill Arya I think they'd show her dead in the dirt and/or have somebody find her body, not have her ride off in some afterlife type thing.

Yeah, people believing Arya might be dead is like some of the theories in the True Detective threads about all of these big reveals that people think are coming despite the show never actually having big reveals.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
bobinator said:

Well she hasn't eaten for several days and presumably hasn't been sleeping either, so it could be as simple as that.

If we're all assuming that Varys was trying to poison her, but she hasn't eaten anything and so he was unsuccessful, it would be kind of weird if someone else was able to poison her right?

Also, Strickland's horse ending up near Arya is fine. You guys think they had some kind of unlimited white horse budget to work with?

Maybe she had taken some ambien
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw this on reddit. Perfectly sums up my thoughts on the fanbase.

Bunk Moreland
Perfect sums up rational opinions of the show this year:

Goose06
AG
Haven't read much of this thread lately, don't have nearly enough time to stay up to speed on this, so forgive me if this has been posted. A friend and I were discussing a theory yesterday that would be an interesting, bittersweet ending.

We think Varys was trying to poison Dany. The little girl that came in while he was writing letters said "she's still not eating" and "the guards are watching me".maybe this girl is ultimately successful and poisons dany. Maybe the poison takes effect after dany and Jon have made peace? Maybe it's right as dany is about to execute Jon?
My Dad Earl
AG
Goose06 said:

Haven't read much of this thread lately, don't have nearly enough time to stay up to speed on this, so forgive me if this has been posted. A friend and I were discussing a theory yesterday that would be an interesting, bittersweet ending.

We think Varys was trying to poison Dany. The little girl that came in while he was writing letters said "she's still not eating" and "the guards are watching me".maybe this girl is ultimately successful and poisons dany. Maybe the poison takes effect after dany and Jon have made peace? Maybe it's right as dany is about to execute Jon?
I don't think the poison ever got to Dany at this point, but I would like an answer as to why he took off his ring and what that means.
Icecream_Ag
S
He took off all his jewelry knowing what was coming. Now if they hold any other significance I don't know
bearamedic99
AG
Episode IV said:

In the books it's "Fate is Inexorable", but I suppose TV audiences are too dumb to understand that.

I love The Sword Song / Saxon Chronicles, but I think Bernard Cornwell's best work is his "Arthur the Warlord" series set in 4th Century Wales. I am halfway through the first "Archer Series / Grail Quest" book set during The Hundred Years' War in 14th Century England & France...

In The Last Kingdom the only thing I think they didn't really nail was the casting for Uhtred. The actor playing Alfred is spot on. The actor playing Uhtred is good enough in the part, but doesn't match quite as well with the Uhtred of the books - who is much bigger and stronger and cunning. The also nailed Father Beorca - he's exactly as I imagined him to be.

Richard Sharpe is his best work. Not even close
bearamedic99
AG
So which cast members will be the hottest items for casting in other works after this? Obviously the guys playing Jaime and Davis but who else? Will Jon Snow suffer from Superman syndrome?
Icecream_Ag
S
bearamedic99 said:

So which cast members will be the hottest items for casting in other works after this? Obviously the guys playing Jaime and Davis but who else? Will Jon Snow suffer from Superman syndrome?
tyrion and Sansa already in xmen universe.
Arya did some Dr. Who work and has done a few other movies.
Oberyn Martell has done good for himself post GoT
spence10
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Robb Stark was excellent in Bodyguard, which I thought was great.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Theon was in "The Predator"
Marcus Aurelius
AG
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2019/05/16/game-thrones-prequel-way/8ICqd9Uhcg2kzVBUpjR9RI/story.html

HBO GOT prequel "Blood Moon" set thousands of years before in same world is in the works.
Urban Ag
AG
So I read an article this morning where some guy compiled all the different groupings of people that now hate Game of Thrones.

First and most obvious is the hard core tv fans that have collectively decided that the writers are simply terrible and in retrospect the show has essentially sucked since it went off the book material.

There is kind of a subset of the above group that is super pissed that D&D couldn't come up with something better in regards to the NK and his demise. This bleeds over in to save the planet warriors who are super pissed the NK was defeatedly easily and everyone just quickly moved on because the NK represents global climate change, the big bad in the background that no one wants to deal with. When then finally do, it only takes one episode so they're mad is wasn't the primary, all consuming, struggle. Apparently GRRM even linked the NK to climate change in some interview in 2018.

The feminists are pissed for several reasons. First, the series ascended to where the final showdown would between two very strong females going head to head. Then super strong female Cersei simply melts down and has to be comforted by her alpha male brother as the castle collapses on her. Super strong female Dany devolves in to madness and has to adopt toxic masculinity traits to rule. Next, they hate that Brienne went from warrior chick badass to standing outside sobbing because weirdo alpha make Jamie hits it and quits it, opting to rather die with his crazy sister. Also, they hate that Sansa told Sandor that being raped and abused is what made her the strong woman she has become (I think her point was that enduring all of her struggles made her tough but whatever).

The social justice crowd is irate as well. The only female character of color was executed as a plot device to make her rich, white, powerful friend even angrier. The Dothraki (brown people) were mostly expended in ridiculous charge because, you know, they're brown people. And Unsullied are still essentially slaves, brainwashed to die fighting a war for white people. And everyone seems to believe that when the dust clears it will be handful of white males once against ruling Westeros.

Also noted is a lack of boobs. I get this. Yeah.

So it seems like pretty much everyone hates GOT now and if you raise your hand and say, "yeah, you know, it has it faults but it's still pretty enjoyable" then you're either a dullard that is easily distracted by shiny objects or your fine with the planet dying while we continue to chase material pursuits, you're not woke, and probably at least a little racist.

Thanks everyone. First week of April felt like Dec 2012 when JFF had just won the Heisman. Now it feels like August 2013 when Erin Andrews declared that JFF has literally ruined the sport of football.

oh and t he online petition is apparently up to 350,000 signatures.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Has there been a single boob this entire season?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Three sets in the Bronn scene. (A plotline which now seems like a complete waste of time.)
Furlock Bones
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Has there been a single boob this entire season?
side boob of Arya. forgot about Bronn's scene because Bronn's character has no point this season.
wangus12
AG
I thought I saw that the online petition is over 3/4's of a million and closing in.
Urban Ag
AG
could be. Article I read said 350k and climbing but you know, like this thread, that was probably written 10 hours ago and is already old news
bobinator
AG
Even though I think this thing has gone off the rails, it's still a little sad that this is our last workday before the finale.
Phrasing
AG
Saw on the news this morning that over 11M people are expected to call in sick to work on Monday.
wangus12
AG
bobinator said:

Even though I think this thing has gone off the rails, it's still a little sad that this is our last workday before the finale.
Agreed. There is still the connection to the characters and it'll be sad to not have them on screen anymore
redline248
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Emilia Clarke and Sophie Turner
Goose06
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2019/05/16/game-thrones-prequel-way/8ICqd9Uhcg2kzVBUpjR9RI/story.html

HBO GOT prequel "Blood Moon" set thousands of years before in same world is in the works.

Hard to get excited about it if there is no book material to use for the writers...
Urban Ag
AG
Phrasing said:

Saw on the news this morning that over 11M people are expected to call in sick to work on Monday.
Game of Thrones baby boom coming in nine months?
Phrasing
AG
Goose06 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Hard to get excited about it if there is no book material to use for the writers...
do we know who the writers are? Holding out hope they are better than D&D
Liquid Wrench
bobinator said:

I didn't get hip to the show until 2012 or 13, so I feel like I've got a couple extra seasons worth of arguing in me.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
George R R Martin himself is creating the show alongside Jane Goldman, and it is based on a story that the pair have written together. No D and D.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/game-thrones-prequel-spin-off-bloodmoon-release-date-cast/

Good article - includes a lot of cast. Naomi Watts lead.
Phrasing
AG
Urban Ag said:

Phrasing said:

Game of Thrones baby boom coming in nine months?
Ha! Could be! And probably a good idea to WAIT until the series is over before naming all those kids after your favorite characters, you know, just in case they burn an entire city to the ground.
chase128
AG
I find their tears delicious!
WestAustinAg
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

WestAustinAg said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Change your list from "great moments in the episode" to "things that happened in the episode" and I'm right there with you.

Here's my take, if you have to explain a joke, is it really that good of a joke? If you have to explain to people why this has been a good season, is it really?
What a novel way to stop debate and declare yourself correct. If you have to tell people the season sucks...does it really?
I don't have to tell anyone it sucks, most people can see it for themselves. My point is that for most of 6 seasons, there was hardly anyone having to defend the show, because of the consensus of how great it was. Now that people don't like it, there are those that have to prove why the show is so great like they've seen what the rest haven't seen. We're all watching the same thing. Explaining why it happened isn't going to make me feel better about it. That was the writers' jobs in the first place.
This isn't true at all.

1. I dont think the show sucks now at all. I like the final arcs.
2. I thought the early seasons had major flaws in that only bad people with evil schemes were effective or successful. Though popular in todays heavy handed writing, especially in dystopian fantasies, that kind of shading isn't the real world experience of humans for the most part. We are all part good and part bad and sometimes good things happen to good people. GRRM didn't write it that way at all.

In fact the reason i have liked the last 2 seasons is that some of the good characters have won some "battles" and some of the bad people have had their comeuppance.
Phrasing
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

George R R Martin himself is creating the show alongside Jane Goldman, and it is based on a story that the pair have written together. No D and D.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/game-thrones-prequel-spin-off-bloodmoon-release-date-cast/

Good article - includes a lot of cast. Naomi Watts lead.
Thanks! Well that's good news, right?

But also more evidence that Jorge isn't working on the books.
Serious Lee
Urban Ag said:

The feminists are pissed for several reasons.

The social justice crowd is irate as well.
this makes me so very happy
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Three sets in the Bronn scene. (A plotline which now seems like a complete waste of time.)

worth it
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

probably a good idea to WAIT until the series is over before naming all those kids after your favorite characters
Good plan. I named my oldest son T-Bag after watching only the first two seasons of Prison Break, and boy did I end up feeling silly!
First Page Last Page
Page 373 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.