****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,362 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
SgtBarbarossa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
300 pages worth of too much time
Phrasing
AG
wangus12
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
FIDO95
AG
The difference between writing a great book series and writing for shock value.

I think we are all witnesses to what GRRM is saying is true.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Federale01
AG
I e-defended them last week. I don't think I can this week. Almost everything that happened in the last episode strained credulity.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Luke Smith said:

Survey Results Update.

So the average score on both sites is a 6? Not great for the final season. Hopefully the last 2 episodes bring it home. However, it looks like neither site has faith in the showrunners to bring it home in a satisfying way
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
double aught
AG
How are they cowards?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol, is this a joke?
CFTXAG10
AG
clinker03 said:

Reading that article makes me think that we aren't finished with the WW, either that or some kind of ending that just leaves you needing a lot of explanation. Then again, it could just be that they know how passionate the fans are and theres literally no way to not piss off a good portion of the viewers
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
smokeythebear
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lol, is this a joke?
No. They should not be hiding from what they have wrought.

You tell 'em, Cattle!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lol, is this a joke?
No. They should not be hiding from what they have wrought.

Would you like them to come to your house to hear your thoughts?
bobinator
AG
C@LAg said:

There is literally no way to finish the story at this point that will satisfy a majority of fans.
I think this is both true and not true at the same time.

There's the like 'fan of certain characters' reaction, and in that they're screwed. There are too many options for everyone to be happy with what happens from a "am I happy with how my favorite characters came out."

But there's plenty of way to finish the story in a way that makes sense, which is really all I'm asking for.

I don't care if Cersei ends up on the Iron Throne as long as how it happens makes sense.
M.C. Swag
AG

Please watch this
cbr
AG
Federale01 said:

I e-defended them last week. I don't think I can this week. Almost everything that happened in the last episode strained credulity.
Right there with you. We have what 70 great episodes, then it starts getting obviously dubious - then one episiode of absolute and total nonsense? Wtf.
cbr
AG
cbr said:

Federale01 said:

Right there with you. We have what 70 great episodes, then it starts getting obviously dubious - then one episiode of absolute and total nonsense? Wtf.
I can take anyone being the winner here as long as the writing is good, the players are rational and in character, and it is entertaining.

A misjointed jumble of nonsense scenes is no way to end this tv show.
M.C. Swag
AG
FIDO95 said:

The difference between writing a great book series and writing for shock value.

I think we are all witnesses to what GRRM is saying is true.
Man, that is pretty tough to watch.
chase128
AG
Thank you MC.

I'm dead

*airhorn*
Phrasing
AG
I read an article once about the show Bloodline and how bad Season 3 was. (Easily the worst season of television I have seen that was preceded by a really good 1st season). Basically the show found out late in the game that there were going to be cut and only had Season 3 to wrap things up, when initially they were told that they would have 5 seasons. They had started several plot lines that needed at least 3 seasons to conclude and were forced into ending it way to quickly - which is why Season 3 sucked so bad.

Wonder if something like that happened here? D&D were planning on more episodes and got budget restricted and had to wrap it up more quickly than planned. Also, someone said earlier that they probably expected to have the source material by now.

And for the record I'm still really enjoying this season - but definitely notice the flaws. It just doesn't bother me as much.
bobinator
AG
I think some of that is just excuse making.

There's no budget reason or timing reason or any reason why, for example, Euron could see the dragons well enough to get off three straight bullseye hits with the scorpions but Dany couldn't see the Iron Fleet. Or why we didn't show Euron's reaction to Tyrion knowing Cersei was pregnant. That's just bad writing.

Now, obviously everyone zipping around Westeros like it's the size of College Station, that's something that could have a basis in the time and budgeting. That's why stuff like that doesn't bother me as much.
M.C. Swag
AG
clinker03 said:

Wonder if something like that happened here? D&D were planning on more episodes and got budget restricted and had to wrap it up more quickly than planned. Also, someone said earlier that they probably expected to have the source material by now.
It was actually the opposite. HBO OFFERED more episodes and funding. D&D made the decision to shorten the past 2 seasons.

Source: here.
Quote:

The perplexing part of Thrones' hurry to remove itself from our screens is that almost no one was rooting for a rapid resolution. Viewers don't want it to end. The media doesn't want it to end. HBO doesn't want it to end. Only the showrunners are ready to wrap things up. In an interview published before the final premiere, D&D made it clear that they were the ones insisting on stopping at eight seasons and limiting the last two to a total of 13 episodes. "[HBO] said, 'We'll give you the resources to make this what it needs to be,'" Weiss said. Benioff added, "HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season." But the showrunners refused. "We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that," Benioff continued. "As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends."
PatAg
AG
The thing they don't seem to get, and a lot on here as well, is Martin still writes parts of the story as traditional fantasy. Happy things can happen, he just also writes a lot of unhappy events. It won't be your traditional they all lived happily ever after, but the "good guys" will still win.
redline248
AG
Those Martin interviews are just a distraction. Next book will open with Jon's body being burned and he never comes back from death, never heard from again.
redline248
AG
I would lose my **** if that happened
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

clinker03 said:

It was actually the opposite. HBO OFFERED more episodes and funding. D&D made the decision to shorten the past 2 seasons.

Source: here.
Quote:

The perplexing part of Thrones' hurry to remove itself from our screens is that almost no one was rooting for a rapid resolution. Viewers don't want it to end. The media doesn't want it to end. HBO doesn't want it to end. Only the showrunners are ready to wrap things up. In an interview published before the final premiere, D&D made it clear that they were the ones insisting on stopping at eight seasons and limiting the last two to a total of 13 episodes. "[HBO] said, 'We'll give you the resources to make this what it needs to be,'" Weiss said. Benioff added, "HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season." But the showrunners refused. "We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that," Benioff continued. "As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends."

They wanted to sign those star wars contracts as fast as possible?
WestAustinAg
AG
The Last of the Starks, or episode 4 from the final season of Game of Thrones, was by far the worst episode in the entire history of the show, and now we have real data to support that claim. It received plenty of criticism not because of what it tried to do, but because of how it was all handled. It's as if the showrunners and writers completely forgot everything that has made Game of Thrones great. The episode defied logic and common sense, brought Starbucks beverages to Westeros, and ignited debates about how it's portraying women and dealing with race issues. No Game of Thrones episode is perfect, some will say, and that's true. But I miss the days when my biggest concern with the Game of Thrones plot was explaining how the White Walkers crafted, transported and used those heavy chains to drag out Viserion out of the frozen water.

It scored a 6.6 on the IMDB ratings system and was at 62,000 votes when this article was written..usually in the mid 8's.

https://bgr.com/2019/05/09/game-of-thrones-episode-804-review-the-worst-imdb-rating-of-series/
Phrasing
AG
Wow! that's crazy. Makes sense that HBO wouldn't want it to stop.
Wes97
AG
I'm sure D&D expected to have the source material done by now when they started this series. Or at the very least their co-executive producer GRRM could help fill in more of the blanks.

However all of the whining on this thread is minuscule compared to all of the whining that Martin has faced in not finishing the books. He even admitted that he cut back on his traveling and even writing some of the TV show episodes in response to fans complaining about not finishing the books.

So if any of you whining that the TV series has gotten worse without the participation of GRRM, then you can blame the whiners who caused him to pull back from doing anything else ether than working on the books.

So congrats whiners. You won.
M.C. Swag
AG
Wes97 said:

I'm sure D&D expected to have the source material done by now when they started this series. Or at the very least their co-executive producer GRRM could help fill in more of the blanks.

However all of the whining on this thread is minuscule compared to all of the whining that Martin has faced in not finishing the books. He even admired that he cut back on his traveling and even writing some of the TV show episodes in response to fans complaining about not finishing the books.

So if any of you whining that the TV series has gotten worse without the participation of GRRM, then you can blame the whiners who caused him to pull back from doing anything else ether than working on the books.

So congrats whiners. You won.
GRRM has been WORSHIPPED by fantasy book fans. His ASoIF is the greatest of our generation. You're crazy if you think 'whining' is what de-railed him or this show. Both parties are adults. Both parties had the means and resources to complete the project.

No one made GRRM sell his book rights to HBO prior to having them finished. That was his decision.
And no one forced D&D to cut the last 2 seasons short. That was their decision.

No one here is 'winning' except for the above people who have now become millionaire celebrities.
Wes97
AG
M.C. Swag said:

No one here is 'winning' except for the above people who have now become millionaire celebrities.

If you don't think this thread is full of over the top whining I don't know what to tell you. We just have different definitions of the word I guess.

GRRM will finish the books when he finishes them. D&D have done a pretty incredible job bring these complex novels to a television series.

Do I wish Martin had finished all of the books by now? Are there some things that I wish D&D had done differently on the show? Do I think it is beyond ridiculous how so many people are acting like entitled two year old's who had there pacifier taken away? Resounding YES on all three.
First Page Last Page
Page 300 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.