****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,060 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Initial take... What a bad 80 minutes. Tyrion/Vaerys the only truly interesting stuff. **** me. If you were going to make an episode like that just make it 55 minutes and move on.

So many missed opportunities along with just dumb writing.

How we weren't able to see the scene where Jon tells them who he is is mind numbingly stupid.

And if they're saving it for a flashback I don't care. We've already moved on and the words out.

I couldn't believe an episode with so much filler leaves out the conversation I was most interested in seeing other than Jon/Dany speaking after the battle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any chance Varys is going to try to rally the GC to Jon?
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

I don't know if you blocked me or what but that's not at all what war was like a thousand years ago.
I have not blocked anybody. If I missed your post, then I just missed it.

But I'd suggest you read up on Genghis Kahn, They were ruthless back then, and that was less than 1000 years ago.
aTmAg
AG
gigemJTH1 said:

Who the hell hated the Breaking Bad finale?

Those are people who should be ignored in every aspect of life.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I do wonder what he is going to do, or if he even succeeds in it. Could easily see him being executed for treason
PatAg
AG
aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

I don't know if you blocked me or what but that's not at all what war was like a thousand years ago.

But I'd suggest you read up on Genghis Kahn, They were ruthless back then, and that was less than 1000 years ago.
not sure what he would have to do with this show. Completely different culture
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I do wonder what he is going to do, or if he even succeeds in it. Could easily see him being executed for treason
That's how I see this ending.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aggie-master said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Initial take... What a bad 80 minutes. Tyrion/Vaerys the only truly interesting stuff. **** me. If you were going to make an episode like that just make it 55 minutes and move on.

So many missed opportunities along with just dumb writing.

How we weren't able to see the scene where Jon tells them who he is is mind numbingly stupid.

And if they're saving it for a flashback I don't care. We've already moved on and the words out.

I couldn't believe an episode with so much filler leaves out the conversation I was most interested in seeing other than Jon/Dany speaking after the battle.

Couldn't disagree more - I don't need another 5 minute diatribe especially from Bran3ER on what we already know. And the reactions were gonna be more time waste just to get to what we knew was gonna happen - as Dany predicted - you can't tell anyone or word gets out and it takes a life of it's own. Which is exactly what happened.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

He was still standing there by her side at the end of the episode.

And if Tyrion knew and said nothing, then he'd be culpable too.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wangus12 said:

PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's how I see this ending.

They certainly set it up that way. Which makes me think something else happens instead.
gigemJTH12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think Varys is still working for Cersei
PatAg
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

No chance
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sansa's reaction is the one that matters, and it would have been basically the same interaction that Sam had with him, which we saw. They spared us a rewind. People would be biching about that had they done it. We knew/know exactly where Sansa would stand on it
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Breaking Bad had a series finale (final season) that can't be touched. No other show I've seen has come close.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Episode title "The Last of the Starks".

I don't like the sound of that
Agnzona
The impossible has happened. D&D has me not caring about any of these characters anymore. They will teach classes on how not to tell a story. Did no one in the cast or any crew raise alarms that this was headed down stupid street?
wangus12
AG
The spin-off I truly need

wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

No chance
Yeah like he said, he has always been there for the people, not the monarchy. Cersei is using peasants as human shields inside the Red Keep daring Dany to burn them all
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dream on. Varys would have an appointment with Ilyn Payne the second he walked into the Red Keep.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, Varys' motivation has been clear, and of the 3 throne options, Jon is the only one we know is aligned with him. Cersei obviously isn't. Dany is a major question, and basically showed her cards that when push comes to shove, she may not be.

That said, I suspect she's more aligned than he thinks she is, and it ends up costing her her life (ie. passes up the chance at a kill shot because a lot of innocents would die, ends up getting killed for it)
MBAR
AG
Wouldn't be shocked if they just do away with the iron throne honestly.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

gigemJTH1 said:

Well.... and to be clear I did like it but......loved it actually .... but I do admit there were maybe a couple of issue. I just think perfection is impossible to achieve anyway. but on that note......

some valid criticism has been made about the machine gun trunk garage door opener deus ex machina. it was a little too much maybe. i didn't care though cuz it was cool.

And others criticize a little too neatly wrapped up - considering we knew Walt would die from E1 - in every other way he won and got everything he wanted. Is that realistic? He got revenge on his old friend+wife who screwed him over with their tech company, he got to give his kids the money he made, even though they didn't want it. He made peace with Skyler, he saved Jesse, he killed the evil men still making meth and drug lord Lydia in a clever way. He saved his family from retribution. He even gave Marie the closure she needed by showing Skyler where Hank's body was buried.

you could say that was ALL good if that's what you wanted - just not sure it was all realistic.

but again loved BB ending. Loved sopranos too. LOST was ok.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
aTmAg said:

gigemJTH1 said:

I thought The Wire finale was arguably the best I've seen. Wrapped up so many story lines so well and all in one episode. Not sure I've seen better.
Lex
MBAR said:

Wouldn't be shocked if they just do away with the iron throne honestly.

In my mind I'd be satisfied if everyone but Sansa and Jon died. Like Dany did something valiant and died a hero. And they are like,"Jon is King of the 7 Kingdoms" and hes all,"I dont want it." And like drops his **** and is all,"I'm gonna go North..." and it ends with him walking away.

I'd be okay with that.
wangus12
AG
Jon leaving Winterfell

OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

MBAR said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Charlie Conway said:

Bron being an ******* to Jaime and Tyrion made no sense. He's be friendly and cordial with them this whole time and then all of a sudden he's a ****ing dick to them. His character is a sell sword, has always been that way. If he wants to kill one of them find, but to him it's always been about the money. It makes no sense for him to waltz in and be an ******* to them.

Jamie spent 7+ seasons redeeming his character, he's always been my favorite, trying to do what he thought was best as a knight faced with really tough decisions, and then tonight he just leaves to go back to Cersei after everything he's seen and done. They cut back his character arc with a machete.

I won't touch the not seeing a fleet of ships behind a cliff while you're flying through the ****ing sky on a dragon.
Why is everyone assuming Jamie's going to be "back" with Cersei? When he said he was a hateful person I took it to mean he hated HIMSELF for what he had done for Cersei, and it's his intention to redeem himself.

Side note, blech, brienne was a very ugly crier
At first when I read your post I thought you were flat out wrong but that's a fair point. I might be misreading his reaction and intentions. It could go either way. Guess we'll find out.

Wait... People actually took that to think he's going back to Cersei? Cmon. That'd be literally the dumbest of all storylines.
Regardless of what his true motive is, this is clearly what his dialogue was about. "I pushed a boy out of a window for Cersei. I killed my cousin to get back to Cersei. I would have murdered every man, woman, and child in Riverrun for Cersei. She's a hateful woman, and I'm a hateful man ...so I'm going to go murder her now. "

That absolutely makes no sense. He may secretly have that intention, but he wasn't about to tell that to Brienne. He def meant for it to mean he was going back to her.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

not sure what he would have to do with this show. Completely different culture
Not where it matters. He was able to amass the largest empire the world has ever seen because he knew what he was doing. He would offer neighboring nations a chance to be his ally. If they accepted, then he treated them well and gave them high ranking positions in his government, military, etc. But if you refused, attacked him, or failed to live up to your part of the bargain of an alliance, then he'd crush your army, pour molten metal down your throat (which is where I think GRRM got the idea from), and have his engineers redirect rivers over your city so that it would be erased from history forever.

Oddly enough people had lots of incentive to be his ally.

There were many examples of other societies doing similar on a smaller scale. Likewise, there are several societies in history that were more lenient and paid the price. Rome, for example, fought Hannibal in the 2nd Punic war. In that war they basically crushed Carthage and wiped it out. However, if they had finished the job in the first Punic war, then they likely wouldn't have had to ever faced Hannibal and have many hundreds of thousands of their soldiers die the 2nd time around.

Anyway... I imagine this discussion will only piss off this thread. So I'll just leave it at that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

aTmAg said:

gigemJTH1 said:

I thought The Wire finale was arguably the best I've seen. Wrapped up so many story lines so well and all in one episode. Not sure I've seen better.

the final season wasn't great overall but the Finale was great.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

That absolutely makes no sense. He may secretly have that intention, but he wasn't about to tell that to Brienne. He def meant for it to mean he was going back to her.
What makes no sense is thinking that her using that complete asswhipe Euron to attack Dany, wreck shop, and taking Missandei would be the motivation for him going "oh, I love her and am going back to her". These people just went through hell to save the realm of men with him. His hate is taking him back there. Hate that is now for her.
chase128
AG
I'm wondering if Bron showing up pushed Jamie over the edge?
aggietony2010
AG
I'm glad that I'm just an idiot commoner, because while these haven't been on the level of season 4, I've thoroughly enjoyed this season.

I don't have any issues with how Rhaegal was taken out. I don't think we're supposed to believe that was 1 boat picking him off 3 times. They probably loosed a volley on him, and 3 hit.

We got to see everyone's reactions to Jon's news. We saw Sansa on the wall and Arya is just off to being murdery again. They maybe could've done more with that scene, but we got to see how it impacted Sansa, and how much she struggled with it.

I've guessed for awhile now that Missandei was going to be the half of that pair that didn't make it. While we still haven't had any "major" deaths this season, we've lost tons of characters that had significant airtime.

And you can say all you want about GRRM being a better writer, but he failed in one of the biggest ways a writer can. He wrote himself into a corner he's unwilling or unable to write himself out of. The story is farther from completion and more spread out at the end of ADwD than it is after ASoS. You can be pissed at HBO, but the real blame lies on George. He had 5-6 years to put out Winds and A dream of spring. Hell, he could've release winds in 2016 or so, outlined dream, and finished concurrently with HBO, but he didn't. He started a story he couldn't/hasn't/won't finished. At least HBO is giving it an ending.

And can we all at least agree there's been some absolutely phenomenal acting this season?
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

gigemJTH1 said:

Well.... and to be clear I did like it but......loved it actually .... but I do admit there were maybe a couple of issue. I just think perfection is impossible to achieve anyway. but on that note......

some valid criticism has been made about the machine gun trunk garage door opener deus ex machina. it was a little too much maybe. i didn't care though cuz it was cool.

And others criticize a little too neatly wrapped up - considering we knew Walt would die from E1 - in every other way he won and got everything he wanted. Is that realistic? He got revenge on his old friend+wife who screwed him over with their tech company, he got to give his kids the money he made, even though they didn't want it. He made peace with Skyler, he saved Jesse, he killed the evil men still making meth and drug lord Lydia in a clever way. He saved his family from retribution. He even gave Marie the closure she needed by showing Skyler where Hank's body was buried.

you could say that was ALL good if that's what you wanted - just not sure it was all realistic.

but again loved BB ending. Loved sopranos too. LOST was ok.
I think the BB finale was outstanding writing. The fact that they wrapped it up so nicely (and didn't extend the finale to 2 hours or anything) amazes me. BB wasn't trying to be as realistic as the Wire (which is why I hated season 5 of the Wire, because they blew their own realism pledge). The fact that he got what he wanted (except for the dying part) in ways that nobody predicted (yet was realistic) is part of it's greatness. The writers committed to finishing the story with a bang and they did exactly that.

I HATED the Sopranos ending, it was lazy and the excuse of "well the audience shouldn't always get what they want" is insulting to viewers who merely wanted good writing. I didn't care if Tony lived, died, or whatever. Just have the balls to pick ONE.

I think the Wire finale was great, but it didn't make up for the rest of a lackluster 5th season.

I stopped watching LOST after episode 1.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
GinaLinetti
AG
I dig this episode.

Brianne gets some D
Tomund gets some ass and a new dog
Jamie is heading off to pull a murder/suicide (calling that now)
Danny is gonna go ape **** and burn it all down

Not sure what else will happen but I like the way they are wrapping it up. Sure they could have taken more time and made the dance a bit more elegant, but it's still a fun ride.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I look forward to a friendly, easygoing discussion after tonight's episode.

First Page Last Page
Page 251 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.