****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

smokeythebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

Urban Ag said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

It doesn't matter what you would do, it only matters what precedence the show sets. When Joffrey takes over the throne for himself and Bran is shown making decisions in Winterfell (with the advice of Maester Lewin) then it absolutely makes sense that young kids would be the head of their household in other houses.
The fact that any of that happens is a flaw in the writing. I don't know who. Since Ned Stark was supposed to be Joffrey's regent (and Cersie stole that), I'm inclined too blame HBO.
Except that precedence was very clearly set by the books...
Which character(s)?
Joffrey, Tommen, and Bran.
Cersie was the regent for Joffrey and Tomnen. I forget on Bran.

One issue I have is that the regent seems to have no power in GoT. In reality, a young king wouldn't be able to defy the regent and start a war by executing somebody important on a whim. But of course the entire story wouldn't have happened if they followed that.
1) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
2) Joffrey had agreed with Cersei and his advisors to let Ned take the black. No one thought he was going to do that (maybe LF) and you can't overrule the king publicly. This is why Tywin sent Tyrion back to be hand to ensure the little a-hole didn't pull more stunts like that.
3) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
4) If we want to compare to reality, there are numerous example of child/teen rulers, especially among the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans.
5) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
Yes.. but even in this non-reality it's stupid and laughable to have a 10 year old Momont chick running a city and leading veterans fighters into battle. That's the point. Her whole story line was ridiculous and is a knock against an otherwise great show.


She doesn't run a big city like Kings Landing, she runs a small island that only has like 60 fighters left in its army.
How big is your immediate family? Would you let a 10 year old lead that? No? Then why would you let her lead a 60 man army?
Seriously, what do you not get? Her entire immediate family is dead. Jorah is the closest living relative and he's spent the last decade banished in Essos. She's the oldest Mormont left on Bear Island. She has advisors to help her make decisions and I'm sure she often times deferred to their counsel on many occasions. But ultimately, she gets final say and she's clearly mature enough (unlike Robyn, who still had his mother) to make her own decisions. It's not like she proves to be a bad leader anyways so your argument is patently dumb.

Edit: I'm not wasting another post on this dumb convo. Bear Island isn't 7 kingdoms, it's just a small town. They can choose to follow whomever they want. Seems Lyanna was as good a choice as any.
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

Urban Ag said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

It doesn't matter what you would do, it only matters what precedence the show sets. When Joffrey takes over the throne for himself and Bran is shown making decisions in Winterfell (with the advice of Maester Lewin) then it absolutely makes sense that young kids would be the head of their household in other houses.
The fact that any of that happens is a flaw in the writing. I don't know who. Since Ned Stark was supposed to be Joffrey's regent (and Cersie stole that), I'm inclined too blame HBO.
Except that precedence was very clearly set by the books...
Which character(s)?
Joffrey, Tommen, and Bran.
Cersie was the regent for Joffrey and Tomnen. I forget on Bran.

One issue I have is that the regent seems to have no power in GoT. In reality, a young king wouldn't be able to defy the regent and start a war by executing somebody important on a whim. But of course the entire story wouldn't have happened if they followed that.
1) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
2) Joffrey had agreed with Cersei and his advisors to let Ned take the black. No one thought he was going to do that (maybe LF) and you can't overrule the king publicly. This is why Tywin sent Tyrion back to be hand to ensure the little a-hole didn't pull more stunts like that.
3) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
4) If we want to compare to reality, there are numerous example of child/teen rulers, especially among the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans.
5) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
Yes.. but even in this non-reality it's stupid and laughable to have a 10 year old Momont chick running a city and leading veterans fighters into battle. That's the point. Her whole story line was ridiculous and is a knock against an otherwise great show.


She doesn't run a big city like Kings Landing, she runs a small island that only has like 60 fighters left in its army.
How big is your immediate family? Would you let a 10 year old lead that? No? Then why would you let her lead a 60 man army?
Seriously, what do you not get? Her entire immediate family is dead. Jorah is the closest living relative and he's spent the last decade banished in Essos. She's the oldest Mormont left on Bear Island. She has advisors to help her make decisions and I'm sure she often times deferred to their counsel on many occasions. But ultimately, she gets final say and she's clearly mature enough (unlike Robyn, who still had his mother) to make her own decisions. It's not like she proves to be a bad leader anyways so your argument is patently dumb.
Can this story line just go the way of Dorne and we move on to better topics?

Let it go
Social Media Influencer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agsquirrel97 said:

Social Media Influencer said:


Quote:

But unlike every other castle wall defense, they didn't have any oil at the top of the wall. Q: WTF?
Wondered that too. I can't remember if they had anything like that when Stannis hit King's Landing?

Jon didn't do anything like that when the Wildlings attacked Castle Black, it was all regular combat.
I thought the one attack against castle black they dropped oil barrels off the wall and swung the big anchor along the wall to knock down the wildlings
I thought he meant pouring down flaming or hot oil, which I don't remember.

And Jon and Dany just have never proved to be the greatest tacticians or strategist in the world.

I'm expecting Kings Landing will have some extra scorpions to try to take the dragons out of the battle.
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pls, in the name of R'hllor, stahp.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

Urban Ag said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

aTmAg said:

smokeythebear said:

It doesn't matter what you would do, it only matters what precedence the show sets. When Joffrey takes over the throne for himself and Bran is shown making decisions in Winterfell (with the advice of Maester Lewin) then it absolutely makes sense that young kids would be the head of their household in other houses.
The fact that any of that happens is a flaw in the writing. I don't know who. Since Ned Stark was supposed to be Joffrey's regent (and Cersie stole that), I'm inclined too blame HBO.
Except that precedence was very clearly set by the books...
Which character(s)?
Joffrey, Tommen, and Bran.
Cersie was the regent for Joffrey and Tomnen. I forget on Bran.

One issue I have is that the regent seems to have no power in GoT. In reality, a young king wouldn't be able to defy the regent and start a war by executing somebody important on a whim. But of course the entire story wouldn't have happened if they followed that.
1) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
2) Joffrey had agreed with Cersei and his advisors to let Ned take the black. No one thought he was going to do that (maybe LF) and you can't overrule the king publicly. This is why Tywin sent Tyrion back to be hand to ensure the little a-hole didn't pull more stunts like that.
3) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
4) If we want to compare to reality, there are numerous example of child/teen rulers, especially among the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans.
5) This isn't reality, it's a tv series based on five epic fantasy novels
Yes.. but even in this non-reality it's stupid and laughable to have a 10 year old Momont chick running a city and leading veterans fighters into battle. That's the point. Her whole story line was ridiculous and is a knock against an otherwise great show.


She doesn't run a big city like Kings Landing, she runs a small island that only has like 60 fighters left in its army.

Yep. 62 to be exact. At the end of season 6 that's what she said House Mormont had (in total) to join Jon's army.

The bears on bear island outnumber humans 10 to 1.



Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

All of your questions have been answered thoroughly.

Stop trying to NDA up this thread.
Amen
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What does 'NDA' up the thread mean?
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

What does 'NDA' up the thread mean?
I'd tell you but I signed a non-disclosure agreement.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So do we have any theories on how they're going to set up this battle with the South?

Like I said earlier I have a hard time figuring out a reason why either army would leave where they currently are.
wannaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agnzona said:

C@LAg said:

So Bran is pointless now, and his plot armor is gone, right?

Him being the "memory of man" is irrelevant.

The prior 3ER did nothing to educate man. And now there is no need to know man's history as the only history points that were useful were those tied to the Night King and Littlefinger.

I look forward to him doing his part and serving as a mobile bomb delivery system.


Load him up with Wildfire and roll him down a hill.
I have been wondering what a large wildfire-filled arrowhead would do to a dragon, or a direwolf, or a castle,

The Wildfire is a classic belief-suspension problem with fantasy stories.

Wildfire is the kind of technology which if it actually existed in this level of society, would immediately change the balance of power a la fission bombs. Anyone with wildfire could easily destroy the bodies/buildings of anyone who doesn't have wildfire. With that one weapon, Cersei could quickly demolish all her opponents and end this story in an hour of screen time. Two years ago I was wondering if they were going to employ it against The Walkers.
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

So do we have any theories on how they're going to set up this battle with the South?

Like I said earlier I have a hard time figuring out a reason why either army would leave where they currently are.
Ep 4 - Gather remaining characters from Westeros...Meera/Robin/Yara/etc.
Ep. 5 - All characters sit around a camp fire and share 1 final farewell wine toast
Ep 6 - A battle occurs. Slow mo cersei struts into the middle of the camp. Pod leaps from behind and stabs her with his rod.

Hot Pie sits on the throne.

-D&D
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

So do we have any theories on how they're going to set up this battle with the South?

Like I said earlier I have a hard time figuring out a reason why either army would leave where they currently are.

You don't think Dany wants to now complete the conquest of Westeros??

Undermanned or not... she has 2 dragons. Avoid those scorpion things which are not highly mobile and they wreak havoc.

Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

What does 'NDA' up the thread mean?
I'd tell you but I signed a non-disclosure agreement.
Every time I see it, that's what I read in my head.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Isn't the wildfire basically greek fire but more explosive? It's not like it's some kind of unprecedented magic.
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agnzona said:

C@LAg said:

So Bran is pointless now, and his plot armor is gone, right?

Him being the "memory of man" is irrelevant.

The prior 3ER did nothing to educate man. And now there is no need to know man's history as the only history points that were useful were those tied to the Night King and Littlefinger.

I look forward to him doing his part and serving as a mobile bomb delivery system.


Load him up with Wildfire and roll him down a hill.


bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think she wants to, no question there, but she no longer has the army to force the North to do what she wants. All of the Dothraki and presumably most of the unsullied are gone. The North is going to have to want to go South, and that's what I have a hard time seeing happen unless there's some new plot mechanic on the board.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

So do we have any theories on how they're going to set up this battle with the South?

Like I said earlier I have a hard time figuring out a reason why either army would leave where they currently are.
The only reason the army in the North will leave is b/c that is what Dany has planned all along. I guess there are still some Unsullied left and they will go anywhere she asks/tells them. I guess she left all her ships at Old Town, so unless Euron sails up there easy peasy to get back south. The big question I have is did she leave any of the Unsullied at Casterly Rock?

Now, obviously Jon is going to be all, I pledge to fight with her, she helped us defeat the walkers, etc. Sansa will argue and I doubt any of the northerners actually want to help her. Maybe they will be more receptive since she sacrificed so much of her army for them?

Cersei would be an absolute fool to try and invade the North. Even if she sailed to Old Town, landing that army to try and march on Winterfell would be Simple Jack dumb. Old Town would send a raven (assuming Dragonstone missed the ships) and Dany and Jon would fly down and melt them on the spot. (Rhaegal survived, yes?)
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

So do we have any theories on how they're going to set up this battle with the South?

Like I said earlier I have a hard time figuring out a reason why either army would leave where they currently are.
Well, that's why there's three episodes left

This is where it gets interesting. I can hear Dany now, lecturing what's left of the North "I sacrificed one of my children and nearly my entire army to save you from an enemy that mere months ago I didn't even know existed." Got no idea where it goes from hear other than I doubt Dany has lost any interest in her end goal.


On a related note, Sansa no longer has to brood over not having enough food for winter. I can even hear Dany noting that in a curt exchange.
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

So Bran is pointless now, and his plot armor is gone, right?

Him being the "memory of man" is irrelevant.

The prior 3ER did nothing to educate man. And now there is no need to know man's history as the only history points that were useful were those tied to the Night King and Littlefinger.

I look forward to him doing his part and serving as a mobile bomb delivery system.
That's why I feel like we're not QUITE yet done with the prophecy stuff, etc. No idea how they'll do it but I agree: if they don't Bran is totally irrelevant and should have been killed at winterfell.
wannaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

jtstanley4621 said:

A second thought: why did Melisandre revive Jon in the first place after he got stabbed? Seems like he ultimately didn't serve much of a purpose in the battle. He was about to die. If she serves the lord of light, why did he want Jon there?

Really gonna be interesting to see the many-faces god tie in that's definitely coming
Jon is the singular reason there was an army to fight the dead in the first place.
Jon is also the singular reason the dead were able to crash a huge section of the Wall and just walk through with no resistance.
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTmAg said:

So to move onto a different topic:


Who, along with me, thinks Cersei will attack now that the North and Dany are at their weakest and least prepared?

I think that Jamie will be torn until Bronn shows up and tells him that he's been sent by Cersei to kill him and Tyrion. Then he will side with Dany for good.
No. She should consider it, but I don't think she will.

No. Jamie is already convinced and has already said aloud to Tyrion that Cersei cannot be trusted. He has already sided with Dany for good as far as the battle at KL is concerned. What Bronn showing up and telling him that Cersei wants him dead will accomplish is either to just confirm that he made the right decision or (possibly) prompt him to kill Cersei himself if he gets close enough.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quick aftermath accounting of what's unresolved in the North

Jon and Dany lineage discussion?
Sansa v Jon on if the North will help?
Will the Glovers be brought back into the show? The group that decided to stay in their place instead of come to Winterfell in Ep 1? They potentially have a decent sized group of soldiers unscathed (different family than the Umbers who all died). What will the fallout be from Dany/Sansa/Jon?

Anything else? Oh, what the f- can Bran offer now?
Federale01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She will promise them their independence, or something equivalent.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wannaggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

jtstanley4621 said:

A second thought: why did Melisandre revive Jon in the first place after he got stabbed? Seems like he ultimately didn't serve much of a purpose in the battle. He was about to die. If she serves the lord of light, why did he want Jon there?

Really gonna be interesting to see the many-faces god tie in that's definitely coming
Jon is the singular reason there was an army to fight the dead in the first place.
Jon is also the singular reason the dead were able to crash a huge section of the Wall and just walk through with no resistance.
There is plenty of blame to go around there. Dany and Tyrion agreed with that dumb ass plan, Dany took her dragons up there to save our heroes, and the writers put them in that dumb ass situation b/c they couldn't think of a better way to get the army of the dead across the wall.
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think S8 was shortened because keeping an ensemble of actors together was so difficult. Contracts and "pursuing other projects" is a btch.

Hell, every season since s4 there have been articles about HBO possibly unable to finish the series despite fans and money.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Anything else? Oh, what the f- can Bran offer now?
Bran is like having a satellite in a world where everyone else is using ground-bases line-of-sight reconnaissance and communication and some of y'all can't think of any uses for him?
spence10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Episode titles for the remaining episodes have leaked

Ep 71. Shwarma
Ep 72. Rise of Mormont
Ep 73. Return of the Queen

Thought 73 was Return of Howland Reed?
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wannaggie said:

Agnzona said:

C@LAg said:

So Bran is pointless now, and his plot armor is gone, right?

Him being the "memory of man" is irrelevant.

The prior 3ER did nothing to educate man. And now there is no need to know man's history as the only history points that were useful were those tied to the Night King and Littlefinger.

I look forward to him doing his part and serving as a mobile bomb delivery system.


Load him up with Wildfire and roll him down a hill.
I have been wondering what a large wildfire-filled arrowhead would do to a dragon, or a direwolf, or a castle,

The Wildfire is a classic belief-suspension problem with fantasy stories.

Wildfire is the kind of technology which if it actually existed in this level of society, would immediately change the balance of power a la fission bombs. Anyone with wildfire could easily destroy the bodies/buildings of anyone who doesn't have wildfire. With that one weapon, Cersei could quickly demolish all her opponents and end this story in an hour of screen time. Two years ago I was wondering if they were going to employ it against The Walkers.


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

Greek fire is the closest thing to Wildfire and did provide huge military advantages to those that knew the secrets to it's production.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I think she wants to, no question there, but she no longer has the army to force the North to do what she wants. All of the Dothraki and presumably most of the unsullied are gone. The North is going to have to want to go South, and that's what I have a hard time seeing happen unless there's some new plot mechanic on the board.
i reiterate.....2 dragons.

and we saw Dany's remaining fleet in the preview. possibly.... they go to Essos for Daario and the 20,000 Second Sons she left there to join the battle and offset the Golden Company forces.

I would also imagine they could now recruit more from the other territories - that were unwilling to go North for the battle with the undead that nobody believed existed. Others may join them to overthrow Cersei though.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Federale01 said:

She will promise them their independence, or something equivalent.
Is that enough though? And will she really cede that much control?

That's definitely the best idea I've heard, but still think there's got to be something else.
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

redline248 said:

Anything else? Oh, what the f- can Bran offer now?
Bran is like having a satellite in a world where everyone else is using ground-bases line-of-sight reconnaissance and communication and some of y'all can't think of any uses for him?

He can legitimize Jon.
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whether she actually has two dragons is going to be a big question.
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Dany: Lord Varys, I must commend you.

Varys: Your grace?

Dany: Leaving 10,000 Dothraki and 3000 Unsullied in reserves at Dragonstone has certainly turned out to be a prudent suggestion. No thanks to my hand who advised we should take them all north.

Varys: yes your grace, contingencies are one of my most useful offerings, your grace.

Tyrion: but...your grace...

Dany: Silence. Your council has proved wrong again. It's almost as if you knew that mounted Dothraki would stand no chance in the field against the army of the dead. You do consider yourself a learned man. And it certainly helps your sister.

M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Debt said:

I think S8 was shortened because keeping an ensemble of actors together was so difficult. Contracts and "pursuing other projects" is a btch.

Hell, every season since s4 there have been articles about HBO possibly unable to finish the series despite fans and money.
Yea, i have no doubt it's hard. It's also really hard to pull off the capstone finale season to the most hyped event in televised history. HBO should have manned up. We already waited 2 years. Time wasn't an issue for fans. We'd all be willing to pay a 'GoT Tax' to fund a bigger budget. Money wasn't an issue.

They had a difficult decision to make and they made it. Now there's consequences to that decision, and we (the fans) are reaping what they sowed.
Page 221 of 417
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.