****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,637 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I messed around with my settings last night and found that most changes like upping the brightness just turns the quality to **** . Best option is just turning out all lights and watching it in total darkness. You know, how the Night King wants things.

My service is thru DirecTV, which seems to be one of the common themes of those that had issues.
aTmAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting. That's the first complaint I've seen from an HBO viewer. I guess it must be the TV's, then.

I literally bought my TV on a Best Buy special, it's an Insignia without any fancy settings, and it honestly looked perfectly fine for me.

It's really odd how it was fine for some and awful for others.
The videos I see on Youtube are 100X better than what I can see on my TV.
they have to be doing some processing to lighten everything up. i watched in my blacked out media room on my JVC projector and i could see but it wasn't great. really, it was the compression artifacts from uverse that killed it.

Brightening it doesn't make any difference on my TV. I can turn up my brightness all the way to where it's not dark anymore. Just that the difference between "dark" and "light" were not large enough for the compression algorithm to bother distinguishing them as different shades. You would see one big ass glob as one color and and then another big ass glob as a different color, when there should be 100 shades in between and no globs at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe I'll try turning on Adaptive Contrast on my rewatch to see if that makes any difference.
The Dog Lord
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Seems like the consensus is that people are loving this episode way more the more the digest it and even more so the 2nd time they watch it.

Good to hear.
I didn't hate the episode to begin with, but one reason I like it more now is because I know what to expect. I'm not going to see any WW/NK fights. I'm not going to see half of the main characters die. I was never mad about Arya getting the NK kill, but I still would have preferred a slightly different setup mentioned by others (she comes in as Theon/Jon/Someone fights the NK).
aTmAg
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting. That's the first complaint I've seen from an HBO viewer. I guess it must be the TV's, then.

I literally bought my TV on a Best Buy special, it's an Insignia without any fancy settings, and it honestly looked perfectly fine for me.

Here's an example. On my TCL, when the Dothraki were charging, all I saw were the flames from their swords. The rest was washed out blackness. When I watched it again on my LG, I could see each individual horse/rider as well as the dead hoard that they were approaching. It was mind boggling what I missed on Sunday night.
It could be my TV is decompressing in a crappy way. I hadn't considered that. I figured everything was the same there.
JW
AG
First time Arya has seen a white walker, she kills the night king. Too easy.
Furlock Bones
AG
did they show Arya alive after she killed the NK? i don't remember. could she still be dead or dying since he touched her? they gave her the NK king kill, but the way it feels now is that she could kill Cersei with ease.
Swarely
Yes
DannyDuberstein
AG
So could this guy. But head, squashed like grape

Furlock Bones
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

So could this guy. But head, squashed like grape

he's not a faceless man.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd say the Mountain made him pretty faceless.
Furlock Bones
AG
touche
aTmAg
AG
I have been on this thread complaining how this show makes women way overrated as fighters. For example, there is no way in hell Brianne beats the Hound in real life. But I have no problem with Arya killing the NK. That was a sneaky-kill. Not a "I'm stronger and faster than you" kill.

And I'm glad they didn't do the obvious Rocky XIVXI ending.

My problems with the episode was the fact that most the good guys live, the darkness, and the tactics. But overall I give the episode 4.5 stars out of 5. Not Ozymandias good, but good nevertheless.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Furlock Bones said:

did they show Arya alive after she killed the NK? i don't remember. could she still be dead or dying since he touched her? they gave her the NK king kill, but the way it feels now is that she could kill Cersei with ease.

That's kind of what I'm wondering. Everything we have seen the NK touch has turned into a WW or a zombie dragon, besides Bran whom he left his mark on. So is Arya screwed? Or does the fact that he was just reacting change anything?
aTmAg
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Furlock Bones said:

That's kind of what I'm wondering. Everything we have seen the NK touch has turned into a WW or a zombie dragon, besides Bran whom he left his mark on. So is Arya screwed? Or does the fact that he was just reacting change anything?
She stood up, looked at Bran and stuff.
OnlyForNow
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Also watched the "Game Revealed" documentary after the episode and was absolutely baffled by D&Ds "artistic" reasoning for why Arya got that moment:

Some of the quotes from that clip:

"jon's always been the savior....but it just didn't seem right to us for this moment"
"let's do the 'it's ****ed' shot"
"it needs to be a real 'BOOM' out of nowhere moment"

Proved exactly what it felt like...a moment that was conjured out of pure happenstance with the sole intention of throwing the viewer for a loop.
This was my biggest problem, I watched it after the episode and thought, wait what?

So it pretty much is put out there that none of this was in the book material and they decided to make Arya a savior for fun; not that GRRM told them she was super important.

I hope that WoW is actually done, or close enough that we get to read it because I'd like to see what GRRM decided to do with this part of the story. As many have said, we don't even have a NK in the books at this time.
Cromagnum
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's an example. On my TCL, when the Dothraki were charging, all I saw were the flames from their swords. The rest was washed out blackness. When I watched it again on my LG, I could see each individual horse/rider as well as the dead hoard that they were approaching. It was mind boggling what I missed on Sunday night.

I can watch episodes of GOT on Blu-ray and things look absolutely perfect, but whatever HBO and DirecTV are doing is not working. All I saw were washed out shades of black during the charge. I definitely did not see the Dothraki charge at a lone horse.
ScottishFire
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Im pretty sure it showed her in the Episode 4 trailer
Furlock Bones
AG
Cromagnum said:

I can watch episodes of GOT on Blu-ray and things look absolutely perfect, but whatever HBO and DirecTV are doing is not working. All I saw were washed out shades of black during the charge. I definitely did not see the Dothraki charge at a lone horse.
its why i occasionally reup my netflix bluray subscription. watching from a disk is still better a majority of the time especially the sound encoding.

i will be very excited to rewatch this when it hits bluray.
Vernada
AG
Cromagnum said:

trueaggie2782 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Amazon + HBO was the same - absolutely terrible picture during most of the early fight scene
Furlock Bones
AG
which hbo app on amazon. Now or Go? i tried Now on a free trial and for whatever reason it buffered like crazy while the HBO Go app works perfectly on my firetv.
Malachi Constant
AG
Vernada said:

Cromagnum said:

trueaggie2782 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Amazon + HBO was the same - absolutely terrible picture during most of the early fight scene
I've been very disappointed in Amazon +HBO. I have my TV hard-wired ethernet to my router in my house for the sole purpose of being able to stream TV. Even with that, there was buffering and reduced quality during the first 30 minutes of episode 3.

I am actually happy to hear about others having the same issue because it makes me realize it's not just me.
dc509
AG
My Pro's:

1. Arya Killing the Night King. It felt right to me. She spent the first 2/3's of the series training to fight and kill, and the god of death has been something she's talked about since season 1.
2. The battle itself. I thought it was awesome. Maybe a little bit less fog would have been nice, but that was awesome television.
3. Lyanna Mormount. If you're going to go out, go out like a boss stabbing a giant through the eye. I also thought they did a good job of not making that a focal point. Once it was over she pretty much got trampled. She was a really good character, but wasn't very significant. They did this one right.

My Con's:

1. The only war that matters really didn't. I realized awhile ago that the Azor Ahai prophecy wasn't going to matter, but basically the Night King and the long night didn't especially matter either.

2. They didn't kill anyone important.
3. There should have been 8 episodes this season, and they needed a 9th season. We don't have to go back over all of the reasons why this didn't happen, but this should have been the penultimate episode of this season.
4. The entire Three Eyed Raven storyline is done. That was a lot of build up, and I can't help but feel unsatisfied (yes, this is just my opinion) with it.
________________________________________________________________________________________

I was really looking forward to Howland Reed, and the drama he would bring regarding Jon's parentage. At this point though I seriously doubt that is brought in. The R+L=J storyline was the central mystery of the series, and it's been sidelined. At this point I think Daenerys wins the Iron Throne, and now I kind of want that to be the case. I hate when any story has an extremely abrupted change of direction with no development. Trying to do the Aegon Targaryen storyline in 3 episodes has a very high chance of being lame.

TPS_Report
AG
TPS_Report said:

Qyburn kills Varys. The Little Birds kill Qyburn.

The Mountain kills Arya. The Hound kills The Mountain.

Cersei kills Sansa. Tyrion kills Cersei.

Jon rules the North, Dany rules the South.

Sam appointed head of the Citadel.

BTW, this is my prediction, not my preference.
Vernada
AG
It's the HBO Channel through Prime TV.

And we haven't had any problems with HBO until this episode.. not watching other shows, not on previous GoT episodes, not on previous seasons of GoT. Just this super dark episode.

But it looked like we watching on a modem some of the time. Blurry picture, pixelation, lagging/spinning wheel. VERY frustrating.
CFTXAG10
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Seems like the consensus is that people are loving this episode way more the more the digest it and even more so the 2nd time they watch it.

Good to hear.
This. I re-watched it last night and listened again to the directors commentary at the end. They had a hard task balancing so many different story-lines, but they did a great job.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

double aught said:

aTmAg said:

Personally, I think that if Jon had killed the NK it would have been lame as hell. WAY too predictable. I'm glad GoT is not Rocky in that aspect.
Rocky lost, dude.
Rocky 1 was good. I'm talking Rocky 2 through 200.

not that they were good movies but he also lost in Rocky III (Clubber Lang) and Rocky Balboa or VI (Mason Dixon).

His overall record (because he was a spare before Rocky) was 57-23-1.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Regarding picture quality, when the first Dothraki reached the dead horde, how much of the horde could you see? That was a lone horse? F DTV
Fenrir
aTmAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

Also watched the "Game Revealed" documentary after the episode and was absolutely baffled by D&Ds "artistic" reasoning for why Arya got that moment:

Some of the quotes from that clip:

"jon's always been the savior....but it just didn't seem right to us for this moment"
"let's do the 'it's ****ed' shot"
"it needs to be a real 'BOOM' out of nowhere moment"

Proved exactly what it felt like...a moment that was conjured out of pure happenstance with the sole intention of throwing the viewer for a loop.
I'm glad they were smart enough to do it. It would have been lame otherwise. Might as well play "Eye of the Tiger" if there was a 1-v-1 between Jon and the NK.

You realize that Rocky losing in the first movie was a subversion of expectations right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Rocky was 3-3 in Rocky movie fights. 4-3 if you count beating Spider Rico at the beginning of Rocky.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Furlock Bones said:

she's in the preview for E4
dc509
AG
TPS_Report said:

TPS_Report said:

I'm not knocking your prediction, but if they end it like that it will feel like a copout.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
TPS_Report said:

TPS_Report said:

I don't think Arya and Sansa both die.

Torn on who kills Cersei - Arya, Jaime or Tyrion.
Furlock Bones
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

TPS_Report said:

TPS_Report said:

I don't think Arya and Sansa both die.

Torn on who kills Cersei - Arya, Jaime or Tyrion.
Jaime and Cersei go down together someway.
dc509
AG
I feel pretty confident that Arya is going to live. Sansa might not.
First Page Last Page
Page 201 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.