****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,218 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I re-watched the episode last night and appreciated a few aspects more than the first.

The action wasn't as overwhelming and it allowed me to focus on certain things better and follow the characters I was previously blind to (totally didn't notice Gendry and Tormund fighting on a mound of bodies before).

I was able to take in a lot more of the cinematography and music score and that was a plus. Lost of beautiful shots and musical crescendos and eerie notes.

However the foundation of flaws still existed. The absurdity of situations the main characters found themselves in only to survive is not the Game Of Thrones show that started all this.

I liked some things better on a re-watch, but it also reinforced some of the weaker aspects.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I watched the making of the episode last night. Highly recommend if. How they did the dragon fight with Jon and Leanna fighting the giant were really cool.

Speaking of cool, they said it got down to 7 degrees in freezing rain when they were shooting out there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd be curious to hear if there were any complaints from people watching directly on HBO / Now / Go?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Furlock Bones said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Relax. It's a huge complaint about the episode and the same thing as him typing out the point. Plus it's only Tuesday and I'll take all the posts on this thread I can get.

considering they got their panties in a wad over a humorous rant in the humor thread and had me banned for a few hours. don't see why brian doesn't follow his own whiny rules.
Dude, relax. You know I'm responding to the current discussion in the thread. You posted a long rant about the episode, the same as you had been posting here for 2 days, in the humor thread. There's nothing wrong with rants but they don't belong in the humor thread.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'd be curious to hear if there were any complaints from people watching directly on HBO / Now / Go?

I had zero issues following it there. Didn't have to adjust tv settings or anything.
M.C. Swag
AG
Also watched the "Game Revealed" documentary after the episode and was absolutely baffled by D&Ds "artistic" reasoning for why Arya got that moment:

Some of the quotes from that clip:

"jon's always been the savior....but it just didn't seem right to us for this moment"
"let's do the 'it's ****ed' shot"
"it needs to be a real 'BOOM' out of nowhere moment"

Proved exactly what it felt like...a moment that was conjured out of pure happenstance with the sole intention of throwing the viewer for a loop.
Claude!
It subverted your expectations.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hear you, but it's not like it was Sam. Arya is a trained faceless ninja assassin.
aTmAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Also watched the "Game Revealed" documentary after the episode and was absolutely baffled by D&Ds "artistic" reasoning for why Arya got that moment:

Some of the quotes from that clip:

"jon's always been the savior....but it just didn't seem right to us for this moment"
"let's do the 'it's ****ed' shot"
"it needs to be a real 'BOOM' out of nowhere moment"

Proved exactly what it felt like...a moment that was conjured out of pure happenstance with the sole intention of throwing the viewer for a loop.
I'm glad they were smart enough to do it. It would have been lame otherwise. Might as well play "Eye of the Tiger" if there was a 1-v-1 between Jon and the NK.
Furlock Bones
AG
and your ridiculous amount of memes don't belong here.
Trident 88
AG
M.C. Swag said:

However the foundation of flaws still existed. The absurdity of situations the main characters found themselves in only to survive is not the Game Of Thrones show that started all this.
The night is dark and full of t(actical) error(s).
Thisguy1
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've watched every episode on HBOGo. Sony Bravia TV. Zero issues with darkness on any episode and I've never touched my brightness settings to even tell you what it's set on.
M.C. Swag
AG
Claude! said:

Congrats D&D, you did it. You abandoned the rules and backstory of the entire series to "subvert" expectations.

The books and show introduced the Azor Azai prophecy. If you introduce an important narrative piece like that, and don't fulfil the narrative in any way, then the prophecy was a waste of time. (Also prophecy can exist in a subversive narrative - Oedipus Rex follows a man who fulfilled his own prophecy in a subversive manner. Darth Vader is the guy to kill the Emperor, overcoming his rage and indoctrination, and is both subversive and makes sense in the narrative.)

The point is, you can still establish a subversive narrative with the Azor Azai prophecy.

Problem with the way DnD did it is they completely sacrificed a narrative element. "Azor Azai, who the **** remembers that?"
aTmAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Claude! said:

Congrats D&D, you did it. You abandoned the rules and backstory of the entire series to "subvert" expectations.

The books and show introduced the Azor Azai prophecy. If you introduce an important narrative piece like that, and don't fulfil the narrative in any way, then the prophecy was a waste of time. (Also prophecy can exist in a subversive narrative - Oedipus Rex follows a man who fulfilled his own prophecy in a subversive manner. Darth Vader is the guy to kill the Emperor, overcoming his rage and indoctrination, and is both subversive and makes sense in the narrative.)

The point is, you can still establish a subversive narrative with the Azor Azai prophecy.

Problem with the way DnD did it is they completely sacrificed a narrative element. "Azor Azai, who the **** remembers that?"
The show is not over yet.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

We watched on HBO Now and had no issues. It was dark, but not where we couldn't see anything
TXAG14
Furlock Bones
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Claude! said:

yep. comes off as a gotcha moment.
Furlock Bones
AG
aTmAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

Claude! said:

I

true, but i honestly don't see how they could work it back in at this point that would make any sense.

aTmAg
AG
Have you guys considered the fact that the Arya ending has been in the works for 3 years? That perhaps there is a reason they have shown you what you have been shown this entire time? That they didn't just pull this out of their ass prior to filming this one episode?

Do you guys hate the fact that Bruce Willis was dead in 6th sense? "Hey!!! you should have told us that from the beginning Shamal-what's-his-name!!!"
double aught
AG
aTmAg said:

Personally, I think that if Jon had killed the NK it would have been lame as hell. WAY too predictable. I'm glad GoT is not Rocky in that aspect.
Rocky lost, dude.
Tree Hugger
AG
Makes me wonder if they will abandon the valonqar prophecy and Cersei?
aTmAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

aTmAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

Claude! said:

I

true, but i honestly don't see how they could work it back in at this point that would make any sense.

Cersie could basically be determined to go Stalin on the entire continent and whoever sticks a knife in her is the Azi-whatever-the-hell-it's-called.
aTmAg
AG
double aught said:

aTmAg said:

Personally, I think that if Jon had killed the NK it would have been lame as hell. WAY too predictable. I'm glad GoT is not Rocky in that aspect.
Rocky lost, dude.
Rocky 1 was good. I'm talking Rocky 2 through 200.
trueaggie2782
AG
Furlock Bones said:

and your ridiculous amount of memes don't belong here.

You really do seem to be an insufferable person.
Furlock Bones
AG
aTmAg said:

Furlock Bones said:

aTmAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

Claude! said:

I

Cersie could basically be determined to go Stalin on the entire continent and whoever sticks a knife in her is the Azi-whatever-the-hell-it's-called.
but, from a storytelling perspective it doesn't make sense. her connection to fire and ice is tenuous at best. the only thing going would be "she's used wildfire."
aTmAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

aTmAg said:

Furlock Bones said:

aTmAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

Claude! said:

I

but, from a storytelling perspective it doesn't make sense. her connection to fire and ice is tenuous at best. the only thing going would be "she's used wildfire."
She has already use wildfire to blow up the Sept. It's not a big stretch that she would use the rest on her own city.
trueaggie2782
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Watched on HBONow on Sunday on my TCL and couldn't see a darn thing. Rewatched it again last night on HBONow on my LG and the difference was night and day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting. That's the first complaint I've seen from an HBO viewer. I guess it must be the TV's, then.

I literally bought my TV on a Best Buy special, it's an Insignia without any fancy settings, and it honestly looked perfectly fine for me.

It's really odd how it was fine for some and awful for others.
double aught
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I really do not understand all the complaining about the darkness. I was watching on a regular ol Best Buy special(I don't buy state of the art TV's) and yeah it was a dark episode, but what did you expect?

Do y'all spend any time outside of the city? Did you think there's street lights in Westeros?

For all intents and purposes, what we saw is actually way brighter than what the battle actually would have been. Any brighter and it's very unrealistic.

That being said, I saw everything pretty well on an average 3 year old TV in a dark room.
Make it unrealistic then. If you have to sacrifice authenticity in order for the viewer to see the product, that's ok. I get having dark moments for artistic effect. But we shouldn't have to constantly struggle to see the action.

When people are in a burning building on TV, you can still see, and that's ok. A realistic approach is your screen would be pitch black due to smoke.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting. That's the first complaint I've seen from an HBO viewer. I guess it must be the TV's, then.

I literally bought my TV on a Best Buy special, it's an Insignia without any fancy settings, and it honestly looked perfectly fine for me.

The videos I see on Youtube are 100X better than what I can see on my TV.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I watched the episode last night around 7pm (still light outside).

I simply turned off all the living room lights and closed the blinds. Problem solved for me.
TPS_Report
AG
Get ready for some major time condensing in the next episode. They will get to king's landing in a heartbeat.
aTmAg
AG
double aught said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I really do not understand all the complaining about the darkness. I was watching on a regular ol Best Buy special(I don't buy state of the art TV's) and yeah it was a dark episode, but what did you expect?

Do y'all spend any time outside of the city? Did you think there's street lights in Westeros?

For all intents and purposes, what we saw is actually way brighter than what the battle actually would have been. Any brighter and it's very unrealistic.

That being said, I saw everything pretty well on an average 3 year old TV in a dark room.
Make it unrealistic then. If you have to sacrifice authenticity in order for the viewer to see the product, that's ok. I get having dark moments for artistic effect. But we shouldn't have to constantly struggle to see the action.

When people are in a burning building on TV, you can still see, and that's ok. A realistic approach is your screen would be pitch black due to smoke.
If it was a provider injected problem, then it's probably not HBO's fault. In theory, people should be able to up the brightness on their TV and see fine. But if the provider compression makes it look blurry as hell, then HBO can't do much about that.
Furlock Bones
AG
aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The videos I see on Youtube are 100X better than what I can see on my TV.
they have to be doing some processing to lighten everything up. i watched in my blacked out media room on my JVC projector and i could see but it wasn't great. really, it was the compression artifacts from uverse that killed it.

trueaggie2782
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's an example. On my TCL, when the Dothraki were charging, all I saw were the flames from their swords. The rest was washed out blackness. When I watched it again on my LG, I could see each individual horse/rider as well as the dead hoard that they were approaching. It was mind boggling what I missed on Sunday night.
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.