****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,187 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just don't get what everyone wanted. The battle is going to be an hour and twenty minutes long. Any longer and it would have been unrealistic and a drag.

Wrapping up the characters is a huge part of the show. This show more than any. There are freakin secondary characters I care more about than 90% of lead characters from any other show ever. Brienne, Giantsbane, pod, Davos. These people needed their moment. It was great.

The take that people wanted more than that is so strange to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

and i don't need 10 thousand battles happening every episode. but, i do feel there should be quite a bit to the ultimate fight with the NK and the White Walkers considering it has been the set up since season 1 episode 1.
Trying to make sense of this sentence. (And am now thoroughly confused as to what your ultimate complaint is.)

The battle is happening next Sunday, and this entire episode (and basically everything since S7E1) was building towards it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

And what part of my post said otherwise?
because you are conflating the clear filler of these episodes that contain a lot of useless fluff and poorly written dialogue with the strong narrative telling in the first few seasons.

if you can't see D&D is just throwing out fan moment after fan moment now, you clearly must be the target audience.

and i don't need 10 thousand battles happening every episode. but, i do feel there should be quite a bit to the ultimate fight with the NK and the White Walkers considering it has been the set up since season 1 episode 1.

It's a story about people, emotions, and relationships... it's NOT a battle planning show or strategic military documentary. Never has been. This is pretty much exactly what they've done prior to Blackwater Bay and Battle of the *******s as well. Why it is s surprise to anyone is incredible - it's on a larger scale though and more people involved so more setup and dialogue and this is likely the end for many so the setup is appropriate for fans of the show/characters. It's storytelling.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Anyone know a song?
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

This seems like the kind of comments we would have seen if the message board was watching The Sopranos as it was airing.

"This episode was a bust, why don't they shoot more people?"

Yawn...I'm not asking for people dying. I'm asking for some substance. I already stated that a scene like Bran/Tyrion having that conversation would have been riveting. Instead they just cut it apparently in favor of things like a painfully too long and dumb giant milk scene.
Furlock Bones
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Furlock Bones said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

because you are conflating the clear filler of these episodes that contain a lot of useless fluff and poorly written dialogue with the strong narrative telling in the first few seasons.

if you can't see D&D is just throwing out fan moment after fan moment now, you clearly must be the target audience.

It's a story about people, emotions, and relationships... it's NOT a battle planning show or strategic military documentary. Never has been. This is pretty much exactly what they've done prior to Blackwater Bay and Battle of the *******s as well. Why it is s surprise to anyone is incredible - it's on a larger scale though and more people involved so more setup and dialogue and this is likely the end for many so the setup is appropriate for fans of the show/characters. It's storytelling.

that's where i would completely disagree with you. much of what has happened last season and to start this season wasn't story telling.
gigemJTH12
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

This seems like the kind of comments we would have seen if the message board was watching The Sopranos as it was airing.

Yawn...I'm not asking for people dying. I'm asking for some substance. I already stated that a scene like Bran/Tyrion having that conversation would have been riveting. Instead they just cut it apparently in favor of things like a painfully too long and dumb giant milk scene.

I said this earlier but how do you not realize that there's a reason that conversation was cut short? They likely discussed something big that you will find out later.

Also, you would rather watch a conversation with Bran, than a scene with giantsbane??? If so, having this discussion with you is a waste of time...lol
Madmarttigan
AG
It's not that they were bad episodes it's that they are going to rush the resolution of some conflicts that have spanned for 7 years. People saying oh there isn't much more to cover are silly to me.

If the white walkers are literally wiped out in a one a done episode that seems crazy to me after all of the build up. I truly hope that isn't the case and the night king is doing some trickery but I don't think strategically it makes any sense to attack King's landing as well unless he is completely unaware of the politics going on right now.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Some of you need to stop getting offended or defensive when people disagree with you. I can see both sides. There are parts that seem rushed and parts that seemed too drawn out with 'filler' material.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

I said this earlier but how do you not realize that there's a reason that conversation was cut short? They likely discussed something big that you will find out later.

Also, you would rather watch a conversation with Bran, than a scene with giantsbane??? If so, having this discussion with you is a waste of time...lol

This would be incredibly dumb. Just allude to the conversation without showing us anything other than they began to talk? "Oh yeah guys, I figured out how to save us down in the crypt based off my fireside with Bran last night. Here's what it is"

A well written scene would have actually shown their dialogue but left some things vague enough that Tyrion would then have to understand later as it presents itself on screen to us and him at the same time.

And I wouldn't rather watch a scene with any specific one person over another. I'd just rather watch a good scene over a **** scene.
Bunk Moreland
Joseph Parrish said:

Some of you need to stop getting offended or defensive when people disagree with you. I can see both sides. There are parts that seem rushed and parts that seemed too drawn out with 'filler' material.

Agree. Some of y'all are acting like we're kicking your dogs. I really like this show and have invested years into watching it just like y'all. I haven't said I hate the show now or dislike it. I've already said I can't wait till next week.

Still doesn't mean there aren't flaws and some of them make the show suffer imo. And I'm fine if you don't agree.
Broba Fett
All y'all *****ing about the first two episodes gonna come running back after episode 3 feeling bad for ****ting on character conversations that can't happen anymore.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Joseph Parrish said:

Agree. Some of y'all are acting like we're kicking your dogs. It isn't unanimous that this is the best work of art on tv ever in the history of ever. I haven't said I hate the show now or dislike it. I've already said I can't wait till next week.

Still doesn't mean there aren't flaws and some of them make the show suffer imo. And I'm fine if you don't agree.
agreed

i did laugh at Tormund's tale. but, the reality is Tormund should be dead right now and the writers saved him last season because he is a lovable character and cheapened the story.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Joseph Parrish said:

Agree. Some of y'all are acting like we're kicking your dogs. It isn't unanimous that this is the best work of art on tv ever in the history of ever. I haven't said I hate the show now or dislike it. I've already said I can't wait till next week.

agreed

i did laugh at Tormund's tale. but, the reality is Tormund should be dead right now and the writers saved him last season because he is a lovable character and cheapened the story.
I actually think Tormund survives next week just so they can extend the 'comic relief' moments. Next week should probably be his time to go.
ac04
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

the "giant milk scene" was one of the highlights of the episode.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Furlock Bones said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

that's where i would completely disagree with you. much of what has happened last season and to start this season wasn't story telling.
storytelling encompasses the entire arc - this is a concluding arc and while they may have rushed through a few things last season this season allowing the moment to build to the giant climactic battle has been great and they've given due time to characters we have grown to know so well over 7 previous seasons and allow those relationships and characters a pause and reflection - it's human nature and it worked well.

you can disagree all you want - that's fine - the vast majority disagree with you about these last 2 episodes anyway. I'm not defending season 7 it was a sprint by comparison. But this is what I expected. I guess they had to rush Season 7 story lines to get where we are now.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I, for one, loved episode 2...not that anyone cares.
gigemJTH12
AG
Really? So you would have preferred to hear a conversation about how Tyrion was going to use the wildfire prior to battle of black water? Rather than it being a surprise in the action?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I, for one, loved episode 2...not that anyone cares.

I did too. We didn't get a single battle episode until the end of season 2. It was all the scenes right before the battle, and right after.

This was classic GOT. Tormund may have had the funniest scene in GOT all time. Arya part was still weird and offputting. I'm glad the show took a chance to give us the before, and then fully dedicate itself to the battle in the next episode.
Bunk Moreland
No, I would not have preferred to hear a conversation about that prior to the battle of black water? But that has zero to do with Sunday night's episode or that situation that the writers teased. So I'm not sure why you're asking about that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

This was classic GOT.
Exactly. And it was classic Tyrion.
pete_claw98
AG
It's obvious what Bran and Tyrion talked about. They did not talk strategy. The strategy time was over. They talked about the most important event in the past that will have the most important implication on the future.

If the living win, but Bran dies......who is the only person that can convince Dany the truth about Jon?????

Maybe the person she singled out to be in the "crypts" (everyone drink)?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
S8E2, S2E10
Bunbury
AG
Can someone elaborate one what Bran means about the 3 eyed raven being the worlds memory, and why the night king would want to destroy it? I guess I understand it on a poetic level that it would create an eternal night because mankind would be completely forgotten, but I'm still a little confused why the night king would be solely focused on the 3 eyed raven?

The 3 eyed raven seems to have lots of information but very little influence, as far as what they've shown us so far. I'm hoping that the instances with Hodor and Bran calling 'father' will play a factor in the showdown with the night king, otherwise I feel the three eyed raven stuff leaves me with more questions than answers.
gigemJTH12
AG
You said you wanted to hear the details of the bran and Tyrion convo. It was likely something that surprises us later in the moment. It's the same thing.
The Dog Lord
AG
A good of example of the kind of stuff that should be included is a scene that got cut from last season of Bran talking to Sansa (and maybe Arya) shortly before they took out Littlefinger. It didn't make it clear that they were going after him, but it at least provided a seed of how all of a sudden Sansa and Arya were working together.

While I'd love to see Tyrion and Bran talk, that scene may or may not prove to be in the same category. People may have *****ed even more if it was just Bran and Tyrion talking about stuff we already know. As others have mentioned, it could have also been purposefully been left out so as not to give something away for later.
M.C. Swag
AG
I think alot of anyone's pacing issue would be solved by HBO just doing a normal 10 hour long season. Choosing to condense 2 season's worth of content into effectively 1.25 season air time was not a wise choice imo. And I think alot of people (including myself) foresaw this as an issue.
Bunk Moreland
Please show me where I said I wanted to hear the details, and that those details would include spoiling what could/will happen later.

I said I want to see the conversation and see some substance between the 2 on screen, with enough things left vague that we see the reveal with Tyrion at the same time. Then it would matter more. As it is now we're just going to see Tyrion do his thing and go "see, box was checked because he sat down with Bran the night before" and that kills the effect.
TXRunner97
AG
Miguel Sapochnik (also directed hardhomme, battle of the *******s and winds of winter) is directing episode 3 and episode 5. It is my opinion that episode 3 will end with some of the living escaping through the crypts to the white river down to white harbor where the next battle will take place with the night king and the wights. I also imagine the golden company being involved in this one. But that's just me
M.C. Swag
AG
OT: I really wish people would leave their unsolicited opinions of what 'will happen' out of here and focus more on what DID happen.
aggie93
AG
C@LAg said:

no way Arya sniffs anywhere near the NK.

That is not her kill.
Actually I think Arya stabbing the NK with the Valyrian Dagger just as he is about to kill Bran while saying "Valar Morgulis" would be perfect and in line with the story.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
The Dog Lord
AG
Bunbury said:

Can someone elaborate one what Bran means about the 3 eyed raven being the worlds memory, and why the night king would want to destroy it? I guess I understand it on a poetic level that it would create an eternal night because mankind would be completely forgotten, but I'm still a little confused why the night king would be solely focused on the 3 eyed raven?

The 3 eyed raven seems to have lots of information but very little influence, as far as what they've shown us so far. I'm hoping that the instances with Hodor and Bran calling 'father' will play a factor in the showdown with the night king, otherwise I feel the three eyed raven stuff leaves me with more questions than answers.

Bran seemed to indicate that there has been an ongoing struggle between the NK and those that have served as the 3ER. The only other encounter between humans and the WW (at least south of the wall) seems to have been the Long Night.

I'm interested to know if there is something crucial to defeating the NK/WWs that Bran knows (but hasn't mentioned) or could know (but hasn't seen yet since he usually needs to pick a place and moment in time to see it). Otherwise, I don't see the NK needing to focus on destroying him. He could kill the humans and then the 3ER later to wipe out history.

So far, other characters have discovered the power of dragonglass and Valyrian steel, so it's unclear what else Bran could find out (and that would matter this late in the game). Personally, I don't think Bran will discover how to raise the dead to fight for the living, but it could be an option (and would be awesome to see the Starks of old fighting).
Luke Smith
What if Jaime dies protecting Bran and killing the night king. Thus fulfilling his King Slayer title and saving Bran's life after trying to kill him
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Arya part was still weird and offputting.
gigemJTH12
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I think alot of anyone's pacing issue would be solved by HBO just doing a normal 10 hour long season. Choosing to condense 2 season's worth of content into effectively 1.25 season air time was not a wise choice imo. And I think alot of people (including myself) foresaw this as an issue.

Agree.

And for the record just because I am a huge fan of episode 2, I am not a GOT homer that likes anything they do. I didn't like episode 1 very much. THAT was a waste of time. Episode 2 was not
First Page Last Page
Page 131 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.