MoviePass - $9.95/month

67,495 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Iowaggie
jock1020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jock1020 said:

I keep getting an email that says "Congrats! It looks like your MoviePass card should have arrived and your account will begin tomorrow."

I keep having to hit a button saying it hasn't arrived. I have had to do this about 5 times over the past two weeks.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Can all of you CEO's take a minute away from planning the future of the company and let me know if you experienced this while waiting for your card?
Guitarsoup
AG
Did not experience that.

I already told you guys what MoviePass was trying to do.

They trotted out data to show that MP users spend X% more on concessions, netting them $Y more per visit.

MoviePass was/is trying to strong arm their way into getting a percentage of concessions to make up for the loss between data sales+subscription income and ticket expenses.

Movie theaters told MP to jump off a cliff.
Tonyperkis
AG
Did yall see the new annual plan? One-time payment of 89.95 for a year. Comes out to 6.95/month.

I'm sure this is a way for them to build up more cash now to stop the bleeding and put together better market data. Makes the deal for us users even better though. Just using twice a month would cost at least $240/year vs. this 89.95 price.
Sex Panther
AG
I heard about that yesterday. Can I get that price if I'm already a member?
Ag13
AG
Tonyperkis said:

Did yall see the new annual plan? One-time payment of 89.95 for a year. Comes out to 6.95/month.

I'm sure this is a way for them to build up more cash now to stop the bleeding and put together better market data. Makes the deal for us users even better though. Just using twice a month would cost at least $240/year vs. this 89.95 price.
Wow I wonder what happens if they go out of business 6 months in. Not to be negative. That's an incredible deal...
Sex Panther
AG
Nvm, got the email. Signing up
BEaggie08
AG
Switched over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sticking with current plan. I don't mind the extra $2 for the peace of mind in case it all goes tits up in a few months.
Capstone
AG
I got the email, too. Sticking with the current plan for an extra couple bucks. Read in the FAQs that there is no refund for early termination or cancellation of the program. $9.95/month is cheap enough and zero risk.
schmendeler
AG
Planning to get the annual plan as a Xmas gift for someone. Has anyone done a gift membership? Don't see anything in their FAQ.
powerbelly
AG
Cinemark rolling out a similar program, but only for one movie/month

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/leisure/2017/12/05/planos-cinemark-launches-899-monthly-movie-subscription-plan

Quote:

Called Movie Club, Cinemark's $8.99-per-month fee slightly undercuts the popular $9.95 monthly fee from MoviePass, but allows members to see only one movie a month at a Cinemark theater. MoviePass, run by the co-founder of Netflix, allows members to see one movie per day for the monthly fee at nearly any U.S. theater.

In Cinemark's Movie Club, unused tickets roll over and never expire for active members. Also, participants can reserve seats and buy tickets in advance with no online fees (normally $1.50) and can buy additional tickets at the member price of $8.99 each.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

A movie a month? LOL.
There goal is to get the 4-5 movie a year person to become a 12 movie a year person.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

A movie a month? LOL.

A movie a month is how I justified movie pass
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's better than no subscription, sure, but they can't expect to steal away Moviepass subscribers with that deal. Needs to be at least 2-3 movies per month at that price.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

unused tickets roll over and never expire for active members. Also, participants can reserve seats and buy tickets in advance with no online fees (normally $1.50) and can buy additional tickets at the member price of $8.99 each.
This is the big selling point IMO.

There are several months where you couldn't pay me to see a movie, but once or twice a year there are several movie I would like to see.

I can bank my tickets and use them for my wife and I. At the end of the day, for less than a monthly moviepass subscription, I could see every movie I wanted in a year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good point.

I guess that, plus the rollover, makes it a little better.

Still should be 2 per month I think.
Duncan Idaho
Aren't they are going to try and block MP? I agree MP is the better deal but I can see what they are going for... mainly those people whose most convenient/perferred theater is a Cinemark.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't think a theater can block MP unless they decide to block all Mastercards.
jock1020
AG
I might be willing to give this a shot because it's been 2 months and still no movie pass.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn. Have you called customer service?
jock1020
AG
I tried calling, there was a prerecorded message saying to go through their website, basically saying to email them. Got this response:

" We sincerely apologize for our delay in response. Since the launch of our new plan, we have received an overwhelming response and in turn, have more than tripled our Customer Service team in order to reply to inquiries from our new and existing customers.

I'm very sorry for the delay in getting your card to you. Could you please confirm your current shipping address? We'll be sure to get a replacement card out to you there as soon as possible.

We'll be able to adjust your start date accordingly so you get a full month of use after you receive your card and correct any billing issues should any exist. If you have any questions, please let me know! "

I responded to them and asked them to let me know an idea of when I might expect it, no response. Starting to think this just won't ever happen.
tx1c
AG
We got sucked in by the email a couple of weeks back and finally signed up. My wife and I both got our cards in the 7-10 business day window.
This was only a couple of weeks ago, not two months.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.slashfilm.com/studio-movie-grill-owes-moviepass-a-nice-thank-you-card-for-boosting-attendance/
Diggity
AG
Quote:

MoviePass and Fandor 12 Month Subscription eVoucher
Item #1218567
Your Price: $89.99

https://www.costco.com/.product.1218567.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How many times y'all gonna watch Last Jedi with your mp?
BEaggie08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not the first time, because I bought my ticket last weekend and the only showing with acceptable seating was in 3D. Not a big 3D guy, but it doesn't bother me, so I jumped on it. Any subsequent viewings will be thru MoviePass though.
Ag13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably 3-4 times with MP after paying to see it in IMAX. There's finally a lot of good movies coming out in December/January though so going to try to get to all of those first.
FTACO97
AG
Diggity said:

Quote:

Item #1218567

Thanks for posting this! Just ordered it through CostCo. I missed out on this price through their website a couple weeks back.
WoMD
Diggity said:

Quote:

Item #1218567

Can this deal be used as a Christmas gift of sorts to pay now and redeem by someone else in 2 weeks? Might be a stupid question, just trying to figure out how this works.
Diggity
AG
it's a digital voucher that gets emailed to you. You can likely forward it to whoever you want to gift it to, but it's not going to be something you can physically hand to them as a gift.
WoMD
Diggity said:

it's a digital voucher that gets emailed to you. You can likely forward it to whoever you want to gift it to, but it's not going to be something you can physically hand to them as a gift.

Great, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be tied to me somehow and that there would be an issue with someone else using it in that scenario.
Diggity
AG
You should be fine.
Iowaggie
AG
Would this be something you can share?

For example, suppose my wife and I get a MP each. We go to the movies on Monday, we give our MPs to our kids, and they go on Tuesday.

Is that type of sharing possible?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The MP is tied to your phone app. Your kids would need to have the app installed and logged into the same account. Not sure if there is any restriction as far as being logged into the same account on multiple devices.
FTACO97
AG
Signed up the wife and I with the CostCo deal, 2 questions:

1 - I see in the app that Studio Movie Grill supports both eTickets and choosing my seat. Can I go ahead and use that now before I get my credit card in the mail?

2 - Anyone have experience with a very new theater in their area that isn't available on the app yet? Star Cinema Grill just built a new theater right by my house in Cypress, opened in October. Doesn't show up in the app yet, but the other Star Cinema Grill's do. How important is the exact theater and time for getting $ added to the card? Could I choose another theater with a similar showtime and then use it at Star Cinema?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.