Finally. It’s time to make a TV show.

21,442 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Redstone
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

MuckRaker96 said:

If your show ever calls for a character who is 6 foot 7, 250 pounds, has a huge nose and can't act at all, give me a buzz and I'll be on my way.

Have you reached out to The Witcher?
I was hoping to play a live-action version of Foghorn Leghorn in a Looney Tunes movie, but no bites so far.
Duncan Idaho
Disney might remake ichabod crane

TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Congratulations, TC. I give you a lot of **** on here and vice versa for our difference of opinions, but seeing any Aggie excel is always worth a round of applause and appreciation. Being creative in any format is so very difficult to take on as a career, because most everyone wants to tell you what you're doing wrong, even if they've never done anything similar in their entire lives. To toil away in an industry that seems just miserably cutthroat and like a nonstop roller coaster would wear on most of us to the point where we'd take our ball and go home, so it's a real testament to your character that you've stuck it out and made it to this big moment.

If your show ever calls for a character who is 6 foot 7, 250 pounds, has a huge nose and can't act at all, give me a buzz and I'll be on my way.

I certainly appreciate it. Coming from you, this means a lot. Genuinely. I've given thought to moving back home more times than I can count, but the realization that I couldn't be happy or fulfilled doing anything else is what keeps me here and keeps me chugging along, despite how insane this industry is. It's definitely tough, but hopefully worth it in the long run. The encouragement from this board doesn't hurt either.

And yes, you'll absolutely be getting a call if and when we ever need someone of your size. Or, we have two movies I'm currently working on - but aren't set up yet - that take place in Texas. Either one could be the perfect opportunity to invite the TexAgs crew to set as extras at some point.
King moto moto
AG
Congrats TCTTS, this is very exciting news. I can only imagine how proud your family and friends are.

I currently have a cousin that started to get her breaks recently too. Her short got picked up by Cannes back in 2018 and her first full-length movie that they are just finishing shooting.

Really exciting times.
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome! Thanks!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Congratulations, TC! It's awesome to see you finding success with your passions. Good luck moving forward!
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
Rex Racer
AG
Congratulations! That is awesome news! Here's hoping the green light comes in a timely manner. Reading your posts about the glacial pace of things and all the road blocks anyone in the industry has to overcome, it's amazing anything gets produced!
CDub06
AG
TCTTS said:

So the fact that our little, four-man company now a has a series and a movie set up with this studio, I think, is really going to turn heads and definitely open bigger doors. I wish I could run through the rest of our slate as well, because we've got some super exciting things happening, with a couple of fairly big names attached. But as slow as this town moves, it's going to be a while before any of it can be finalized or announced. Still, it feels like this year is a turning point, and the year we should be able to officially move forward and announce at least a few of them.

This is so awesome. Congratulations. And thank you for these updates. I love the peak behind the curtain you offer us all.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

As of tonight, our deal with the studio is finally, officially CLOSED. I can't publicly say which studio yet (it's one of the big boys), there's still the lead to formally attach, a writing staff to hire, a green light to eventually garner, and I have no idea when any of this will finally be made public (it could be a while), but the biggest hurdle, after all this time, is finally behind us, and I just had to mark the occasion...

BOOM.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/amazon-macro-array-victoria-mahoney-dawn-octavia-e-butler-1202868529/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ava-duvernay-victoria-mahoney-team-dawn-tv-series-at-amazon-1281239

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-wars-director-victoria-mahoney-ava-duvernay-developing-dawn-sci-fi-series-at-amazon-1203516437/

https://www.thewrap.com/octavia-e-butler-dawn-ava-duvernay-amazon/

https://theplaylist.net/ava-duvernay-victoria-mahoney-dawn-amazon-20200226/

https://www.slashfilm.com/dawn-tv-series-amazon-ava-duvernay-victoria-mahoney/

https://shadowandact.com/ava-duvernay-victoria-mahoneys-series-adaptation-of-octavia-butlers-dawn-lands-at-amazon
TCTTS
AG
(The Deadline piece is the "official" one and was done in accordance with Amazon and features my name. But my name was mistakenly left off The Hollywood Reporter version and of course that's the version all of these other outlets are running with. Ha, whatever.)
La Fours
AG
This is really cool.

I'm hoping you can explain something that I have been wondering about with films and TV shows. In the Deadline article, it says "Amazon Studios has hopped on board with Macro Television Studios to partner with Ava DuVernay's Array Filmworks to develop a TV adaptation..."

What does that mean production wise to have Amazon, Macro Television Studios and Array Filmworks all partnered on the project? Who are the decision makers, which group is responsible for what parts of production? Is having Amazon key for more than a distribution platform? Forgive my ignorance on all of this. The past few years I started noticing during the credits of movies and TV shows that all these different studios are partnered to make things happen and I wondered what that meant. I am guessing it is different from project to project though.
La Fours
AG
Oh and if you need a site rep, my cousin lives in LA and has been doing site rep work for the past 10 years or so.
israeliag
AG
Awesome!

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TCTTS said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Congratulations, TC. I give you a lot of **** on here and vice versa for our difference of opinions, but seeing any Aggie excel is always worth a round of applause and appreciation. Being creative in any format is so very difficult to take on as a career, because most everyone wants to tell you what you're doing wrong, even if they've never done anything similar in their entire lives. To toil away in an industry that seems just miserably cutthroat and like a nonstop roller coaster would wear on most of us to the point where we'd take our ball and go home, so it's a real testament to your character that you've stuck it out and made it to this big moment.

I certainly appreciate it. Coming from you, this means a lot. Genuinely. I've given thought to moving back home more times than I can count, but the realization that I couldn't be happy or fulfilled doing anything else is what keeps me here and keeps me chugging along, despite how insane this industry is. It's definitely tough, but hopefully worth it in the long run. The encouragement from this board doesn't hurt either.

And yes, you'll absolutely be getting a call if and when we ever need someone of your size. Or, we have two movies I'm currently working on - but aren't set up yet - that take place in Texas. Either one could be the perfect opportunity to invite the TexAgs crew to set as extras at some point.
If you need a weapons expert... don't hesitate to let me know. I've already had one speaking role in a movie, I wouldn't mind getting a couple more to get my SAG card.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dude. Awesome. So happy for you.

And not gonna lie, my name not being there would bug me. But once the project is actually in production / released, your name will be there on imdb and wikipedia.

Best of luck with this venture, and hope this keeps your momentum going strong.
TCTTS
AG
La Fours said:

This is really cool.

I'm hoping you can explain something that I have been wondering about with films and TV shows. In the Deadline article, it says "Amazon Studios has hopped on board with Macro Television Studios to partner with Ava DuVernay's Array Filmworks to develop a TV adaptation..."

What does that mean production wise to have Amazon, Macro Television Studios and Array Filmworks all partnered on the project? Who are the decision makers, which group is responsible for what parts of production? Is having Amazon key for more than a distribution platform? Forgive my ignorance on all of this. The past few years I started noticing during the credits of movies and TV shows that all these different studios are partnered to make things happen and I wondered what that meant. I am guessing it is different from project to project though.

Yeah, it differs on literally every movie/series and depends on the specific deal that was negotiated. But in nearly every scenario, the studio - Amazon, in this case - is the primary decision maker. They now own the show and call all the shots. But Macro, for instance, has ownership as well and will continue to do a lot of the heavy lifting on the producing front. Then Array, another company, and a couple people from my company (myself included) help oversee the production process in whatever ways are needed. Meaning we help hire additional writers, give notes on scripts, help cast the project, etc. Put simply, as producers, we all work hand-in-hand with the studio to facilitate every aspect of the filmmaking process. And over the development of the project, before Amazon came onboard, we all contributed to the project both financially and creatively in some capacity (in my company's case, we financed the initial option of the book and had input on early creative development). It's not really a case of Company X specifically does this and Company Y specifically does this. It's more about the credited producers/"reps" from each company working together as a team to do whatever needs to be done, some more involved that others.

Overall, it breaks down kind of like this. There are...

... production companies who develop projects but don't have the money to finance scripts.

... production companies who develop projects and have the money to finance scripts, but don't have the money to finance the production of the movie/series themselves.

... financiers who have the money and means to produce/make projects, but don't have the means to distribute them.

... studios who have the money to do all of the above, but, in certain instances, work with the above companies to "outsource" the earlier development of certain projects - or - acquire projects once they've reached a certain level of development.

And then there are myriad versions of each of the companies above. So, in other words, every deal depends on which types of companies are involved.
La Fours
AG
Thanks for the explanation.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

And over the development of the project, before Amazon came onboard, we all contributed to the project both financially and creatively in some capacity (in my company's case, we financed the initial option of the book and had input on early creative development).

Does your company making its money back depend on the actual release of the show, or do you make it back now that Amazon came onboard?

And are you still able to get a nice payday if the show is a hit?

Sorry if too personal, just curious about how this process works from the inside.
TCTTS
AG
We get paid when/if the show finally gets the green light and the first episode is officially headed toward production. That's why producers typically have a ton of projects in development - because they usually don't get paid until the project is actually/officially a go, and many projects - most, in fact - fall apart before they ever get to the production stage. But then, yes, you sometimes renegotiate after the first season, or have it built into your initial contract that your fees increase by X percentage in season two, should there be one, and so on.

Then a lot of production companies have "first look deals" with studios, where a studio pays for that production company's office, salaries, etc. for X amount of years, and in return, the production company must take whatever projects they develop to the studio first. And if the movie/series is made, the production company gets additional fees on top of their first look deal. But then if the studio passes on a project, the production company is free to take that project to whoever else and shop it around town, while keeping their first look deal with the studio. First look deals are extremely common and basically a way for the studio to call "dibs" on companies/creative talent they really like. That's the level we're trying to achieve as of now - a first look deal with a studio, and we feel like we're getting relatively close, but we'll see.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dude. Awesome. So happy for you.

And not gonna lie, my name not being there would bug me. But once the project is actually in production / released, your name will be there on imdb and wikipedia.

Best of luck with this venture, and hope this keeps your momentum going strong.

Missed this one, but I really appreciate it.

As for the name thing, it's fine. It's in the primary Deadline piece, and yeah, it's obviously in all of the contracts. Again, producer-wise, I'm the low man on the totem pole on this particular project, so whatever. I had my startup as we were figuring out our roles way back when on this project, and everyone involved decided to have one rep per company in on all the meetings, so one of the other guys in our company took on that role, as he was more experienced and I was super busy. So I show up to certain functions, am in on certain emails, and help out creatively when asked, but I don't really do much day-to-day on this project anymore.
Sex Panther
AG
Badass man! Best of luck the rest of the way on this and all your other projects. Sounds like only the beginning.

Keep us all posted.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks!
bearamedic99
AG
Congrats! You are an interesting poster here and we enjoy the name drops of people you see (while lurking at CVS). Also, you need to up your Beckinsale sightings. I live in Hollywood vicariously a little through you.

I hope this is just the first step in your successes and one day, we can make fun of your Dune spinoff that goes straight to streaming.
Duncan Idaho
Congrats.

I believed in you before you did
/redstone
jeffk
AG
Whaaaa?

Totally missed this thread the past few weeks. Way to go, TCTTS! We're so proud!
MooreTrucker
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Seriously, when you start shooting, I am more than happy to be an extra. I have a credit, just not enough to be union eligible. I WANT my SAG card. (Really I just want the screeners and the ability to vote for awards.
I don't care about any of this stuff. I just think it'd be cool to be in a movie, so when one of your Texas flicks happens, I'm in!!

Seriously, though, congrats on 'Dawn'. Can't wait to see it.
Saxsoon
AG
Texags own pride and joy. Congratulations TCCTS! It really is great to have you here and your perspective even when we disagree.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.
Malachi Constant
AG
This is awesome! Started at the projection list and now we here.

Also, time to start the

*******OFFICIAL "DAWN" THREAD ********

Where there will be nothing but level-headed commentary I'm sure.
TCTTS
AG
Not gonna lie, the thought of an official Dawn thread slightly terrifies me, for multiple reasons.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

Not gonna lie, the thought of an official Dawn thread slightly terrifies me, for multiple reasons.
This show is SJW bull*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoever greenlit this is a globalist elitist!
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
phatbc
This is so awesome. It's amazing to feel so much excitement and pride for someone you've never met. Have always enjoyed your insight, stories and posts over the years.

I was a Z list American child actor/voice actor in Seoul, so I'm basically a pro and now I'm a physician. So if that interesting combination of talents is ever a need for you....lol

Cheers dude. Hope this is only the beginning of great things.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Seeing the praise Forum 13 is showering you with now AND having read the series has me oh so excited for all the butthurt that thread will host.

"Strong black female lead, with ambiguous sexual relationships." The meltdown will be epic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.