*** SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING *** (Spoilers / Reactions)

27,094 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quad Dog
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the movie finally hitting theaters tomorrow, and a 92% Rotten Tomato score on the eve of its release, I wanted to go ahead and get an official thread started. As usual, general/vague reactions can post to the MCU thread, but all spoiler-related discussions and reviews should be kept here. Seeing this one Friday night, so I'll see you guys then...

SeattleAgJr
Looking forward to it.

And obligatory:

CrazyDayDuck
SeattleAgJr said:

Looking forward to it.

And obligatory:

That was a funny episode.
CrazyDayDuck
It looks like it will open to around 100 mil domestically and 200 mil globally.

We'll see how it holds up when Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde come out (two movies I'm more inclined to watch than a reboot).

Some people are excited about this Peter Parker, and it has a solid supporting cast (with Keaton and Tomei along with Downing) so it should do well.

Hard to pass up on a quasi-Iron 4...especially when he is mentoring Spider-Man.
rhutton125
AG
Bump for convenience. Got my tickets for tomorrow night.
Farmer1906
AG
Going at 8 tonight. Reserved seats with a recliner.
Olsen
AG
I'll be at the midnight premiere tonight! Been waiting to see this movie for nearly a year now.
TajMaballer
AG
Best Spider-Man movie hands down! Loads of fun! Can't wait to rewatch it as soon as I can!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sitting and waiting. My favorite superhero by far. Can't wait!
I can't believe the reactions for this movie. Just got off Twitter and searched "Spiderman." People are raving about it. Not one bad review.
Ambres
AG
Just got out and right now I can't really think of any issue other then the casting choice on background characters. MJ, Flash, Ned don't really match their 1960 comic versions. Ned especially only resemble his comic character in name only. But I say all this to say that Marvel made a Spiderman that is at the same level as Spiderman 2. Vulture was great. He was actually intresting.
Andyzipp
AG
That was awesome! So much fun. Holland was great and Keaton was sublime!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So many emotions and thoughts rolling around my brain.

This is a good movie. A very good movie. The best Spider-Man movie yet (and Spiderman 2 was really good so this one is even more special).

So many good comic nods: Toombs furry jacket, the Shocker's yellow patterned sleeves. Nacho from Better Call Saul had a very distinctive tattoo on his neck.....a Scorpion? Hmmmmm......

I really liked all the kids that were cast...except for one. Ned Leeds was such a great character. Really want to see him again in future movies. The one miscasting was Flash Thompson. I understand this was a high school for smart kids, but Flash is supposed to be physically intimidating. That is just a minor nitpick, though.

Keaton may be one of the best Marvel villains yet; mainly due to how well he played him. He was scary without being a "comic book villain." The scene in the car was tense. And I never saw that twist coming. Never. It was a complete and total surprise.

The two credit scenes were so good ("What the f..." [edit] wait, that was the last scene before the credits); the final one is their funniest yet. Good to see Marvel with a good sense of humor about themselves.

Holland is great. His conversations with "Karen" were fun. All in all, this was a homerun.
Ambres
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

This is a good movie. A very good movie. The best Spider-Man movie yet (and Spiderman 2 was really good so this one is even more special).

So many good comic nods: Toombs furry jacket, the Shocker's yellow patterned sleeves. Nacho from Better Call Saul had a very distinctive tattoo on his neck.....a Scorpion? Hmmmmm......

I really liked all the kids that were cast...except for one. Ned Leeds was such a great character. Really want to see him again in future movies. The one miscasting was Flash Thompson. I understand this was a high school for smart kids, but Flash is supposed to be physically intimidating. That is just a minor nitpick, though.

Keaton may be one of the best Marvel villains yet; mainly due to how well he played him. He was scary without being a "comic book villain." The scene in the car was tense. And I never saw that twist coming. Never. It was a complete and total surprise.

The two credit scenes were so good ("What the f..." [edit] wait, that was the last scene before the credits); the final one is their funniest yet. Good to see Marvel with a good sense of humor about themselves.

Holland is great. His conversations with "Karen" were fun. All in all, this was a homerun.
Could not agree more!!!

Yea Nacho is playing MacDonald "Mac" Gargan the Scorpion

This movie had as back ground characters - Ned Leeds - ie. Hobgoblin, Mac Gargan - Scorpion, Aaron Davis - Prowler, Herman Shultz - Shocker, Jackson Brice - Montana, Liz Allan - Mrs Osborn, and of course Flash Thompson - Agent Venom

In short, they did a nice job of bringing characters that have their own arcs .. Still not sure I like their casting for Ned and MJ but ... eh the actors were great and in reality they were created in the '60s.
SeattleAgJr
No Batroc the Leaper?!?!?!?!

If not, no sale.
Olsen
AG
Loved the movie! I missed the Star Wars easter egg in the movie but I would definitely rewatch this movie again in the near future. Some website had Toomes' daughter as Michelle but I'm glad it turned out to be Liz.
ScottBowen
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

That car scene could have been written by Tarantino. I think if you know there's a twist coming, you can probably guess what it is, but I was completely caught by surprise. Apparently everyone else in the theater was also, because they went completely silent once he opened the door.
Ambres
AG
Ok I had time to digest the movie and now can write my review.

Warning stop reading if you don't want to be spoiled.. I will try and keep it general in nature.. and not give specifics.. but read at your own risk.

The movie start up with a great intro to Spiderman from the old spiderman theme song in the beginning mixed in w/ the Marvel intro to the POV video of Civil war.. love his reaction to Antman. Additionally, in the first 10 minutes of the movie we learn that the vulture was a legit businessman who got hosed... it set up his motivation and provide insight to a once good man. Michael Keaton is great at being normal yet menacing.

Throughout the movie Spiderman works to figure it Vulture plan but each time he fights w/ a part of his crew.. Spiderman actually causes the disaster and destruction by not really understanding the situation he gets himself into... in short "He IS a menace!!"

During each battle, I could see JJ headlines.. "Spiderman blows up ATM!, Spiderman destroys Ferry, Spiderman destroys Carnival" .. I am actually surprise that they left off this piece from this movie.. but it would have been a b-story that was not yet needed. Each time Spiderman got involve, their was some public property that got destroy that would not have had Spiderman left things alone. For instance, if he didn't give his friend the alien bomb.. then their would not be an explosion at the Washington monument.

The other piece is that they were able to turn a villain that frankly was a "B-side" list and turn him actually scary and dangerous. I love Michael Keaton performance.

I love the fact that in this version of Spiderman.. he is a genius. He is brilliant and uses science to try and figure out problems.. little things like how to break the glass.

Sadly, though it was funny .. the Karen thing bugged me. Peter suit was like a mini ironman suit.. that is not Spiderman... he doesn't have a crazy suit that goes into "KILL" mode.. btw: I hope to see "KILL" mode in Infinity Wars.

In short this was an awesome movie that you can 100% take your kids and enjoy as a family. My 15 and 10 year old sons both want to go back and see it again.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

The one miscasting was Flash Thompson. I understand this was a high school for smart kids, but Flash is supposed to be physically intimidating. That is just a minor nitpick, though.
I think I read an article somewhere months ago that they were going for a modern look on bullying in schools.
Andyzipp
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

The one miscasting was Flash Thompson. I understand this was a high school for smart kids, but Flash is supposed to be physically intimidating. That is just a minor nitpick, though.
I think I read an article somewhere months ago that they were going for a modern look on bullying in schools.

I have a 14 year old son. Based on his friends and classmates, being a ****** now is completely different than it was in the 60's.
agmag90
This was a really good movie, very funny, my favorite Spiderman. I may try and go see this again.

Basically, I agree with everything that has already been said.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
One thing that I didn't even realize until this morning: I guess the MCU has completely disregarded Spider-Man's spider sense.

It doesn't exist in any form with this character now. It was always a hard thing to put on screen in the past. Raimi came closest to realizing it's potential, but that's because he was such an unusual director with his camera angles, weird lighting, time freezes, etc. that he could pull it off.

This movie has completely abandoned it, which is a shame. There's always the possibility that he develops it over time, what with his "changing body" and stuff (dear God, I really want to see more Captain America PSA's....just keep 'em coming as a running gag in every Spider-Man movie at his school).
Andyzipp
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

One thing that I didn't even realize until this morning: I guess the MCU has completely disregarded Spider-Man's spider sense.

It doesn't exist in any form with this character now. It was always a hard thing to put on screen in the past. Raimi came closest to realizing it's potential, but that's because he was such an unusual director with his camera angles, weird lighting, time freezes, etc. that he could pull it off.

This movie has completely abandoned it, which is a shame. There's always the possibility that he develops it over time, what with his "changing body" and stuff (dear God, I really want to see more Captain America PSA's....just keep 'em coming as a running gag in every Spider-Man movie at his school).

I was thinking about the spider sense when he was attacked on the beach. I chalked that up to being completely disoriented by the crash at that point.

Maybe the inability to convey spider sense on film was the whole point of Karen?
ScottBowen
AG
Does anyone have any insight into the business side of this movie? I know Sony owns the rights to the Spider-Man characters, but what was the deal they arranged with Marvel? And how much creative influence did Marvel have over this?

It's obvious from Spidey's inclusion in Civil War and pending Iron Man to this movie that Marvel really wanted it to be a success. Hard to believe they'd do that if Sony gets to reap most of the rewards.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

I remember them mentioning it in civil war that the reason he wore the goggles on his self made suit is because he is able to receive so much information at once that it makes it hard for him to focus.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
One more piece of universe-expanding importance:

The actor who portrayed Peter's high school principal is the same actor who was one of Cap's Howling Commandos in WWII.

Could he be another unfrozen Super Soldier who decided to live a quiet life as a school administrator?

Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

• Tony Stark: Lordy! Can you even see in these?
  • Peter Parker: Yes. Yes, I can! I can. I can-I can see in those. Okay? It's just that... when whatever happened, happened... it's like my senses have been dialled to 11. There's way too much input, so... they just kinda help me focus.

Olsen
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

The actor who portrayed Peter's high school principal is the same actor who was one of Cap's Howling Commandos in WWII.

Could he be another unfrozen Super Soldier who decided to live a quiet life as a school administrator?

The high school principal is a decedent of Jim Morita.
Whos Juan
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

He's Jim Morita's grandson. He had a framed picture of Jim in his office.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just got back. Awesome movie. Lots of fun. Captured the high school scene well.

That last scene of the movie ... ROTFLMAO

And stay through the credits for one final scene that is ridiculously hilarious.
AMW2010
AG
Just finished the movie...

Wow...

Loved the batman illusions between the vulture in the moon to look like the bat signal and then when he was waiting for the plane to take off like the dark knight sitting on the ledge...

So much good stuff about this movie! Wow!

Iron spider suit!!

Shocker

Scorpion

Vulture

Peppers back!!

Ferries buller scene

I wanna know about why was in the plane... the captain America pro type shield!

Michelle is MJ... ugh
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

Iron spider suit!!
?
SuperAg05
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Actually, go back and re-watch Civil War.

During Spiderman's fight with The Winter Soldier and Falcon, there is a point where he is facing one way, and then they have a slight vibratory/high pitch whine and his eyes go wide just as he ducks out of the way of something being thrown at him from behind. That's definitely spider-sense in action.
Quad Dog
AG
ScottBowen said:

Does anyone have any insight into the business side of this movie? I know Sony owns the rights to the Spider-Man characters, but what was the deal they arranged with Marvel? And how much creative influence did Marvel have over this?

It's obvious from Spidey's inclusion in Civil War and pending Iron Man to this movie that Marvel really wanted it to be a success. Hard to believe they'd do that if Sony gets to reap most of the rewards.
https://qz.com/1020387/spider-man-is-back-in-the-marvel-universe-but-the-film-studio-wont-get-a-penny-of-the-profits/

Quote:

In 2015, when the two studios paired up to reboot the franchise, Sony agreed to foot the entire production cost, while Marvel came aboard to manage the process. If you're Marvel, that deal doesn't sound so great. Why make the movie at all?
It's all about the toys, pajamas, backpacks, lunch boxes, and other Spider-Man-related merchandising that becomes more valuable to Disney whenever a popular new movie with the web-slinger hits the big screen. When Marvel gave up its stake in the Spider-Man movies, it bought the full rights to the merchandising revenue (paywall) that it had previously split with Sony. (Plus, it got to use the character in its own movies, like Captain America: Civil War, which grossed more than $1.15 billion worldwide, and the upcoming next Avengers films.)
Marvel could clear more than $200 million in sales from Spidey merchandise alone in a year,
bankshot11
AG
I liked it! In terms of Spidey movies, I'd tie it for 2nd with the original Raimi from 2002, with both behind Spider-Man 2 2004

I loved, LOVED the twist with Liz's parents. It caught me completely off guard. Also really enjoyed how they tied everything in to the Battle of New York from the first Avengers and how they were able to do four really minor/goofy villains some justice.

The Star Wars nerd in me was definitely focused on the toys in Pete's bedroom. Lots of Vintage Star Wars figures and a vintage X-Wing toy from the 70s, but there was a 1995 Stormtrooper and a Jek Porkins from 2001. RIP that $500 LEGO Death Star.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.