The Handmaid's Tale

14,672 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Al Bula
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been seeing a lot of press on the new Hulu series "The Handmaid's Tale", which is available for streaming starting today. (04/26/2017)

It is set in a dystopian (near) future in America of a totalitarian theocracy. (The obvious parallel that many are drawing is to Trump, but the series began filming last year and the first book on which the series is based was first published in 1985.)

Here is the trailer for it, anyway:

Might be worth a look...
WoMD
I made it less than 5 pages into the book before realizing it was feminist propaganda crap, and stopped reading before a quarter of the way in. Maybe the rest of the book was better, but how this drivel became so popular is a mystery to me.
HustlerAggie
WoMD said:

I made it less than 5 pages into the book before realizing it was feminist propaganda crap, and stopped reading before a quarter of the way in. Maybe the rest of the book was better, but how this drivel became so popular is a mystery to me.
I kind of thought the same thing reading about the series.

However, it is getting rave reviews from media critics.

It is possible that most of the tv reviewers are liberal of course. I may check it out anyway just because I like dystopian stuff usually.
SeattleAgJr
I got all the episodes downloaded. hope to watch this weekend, assuming they are any good.
SlackerAg
AG
There was an old "Handmaid's Tale" movie with Robert Duvall & Natasha Richardson, which was good.
Noblemen06
AG
HustlerAggie said:

It is set in a dystopian (near) future in America of a totalitarian theocracy. (The obvious parallel that many are drawing is to Trump, but the series began filming last year and the first book on which the series is based was first published in 1985.)
Seriously not trying to drag this into politics but...how? Trump has his sychophants but the last thing I'd characterize Trump's admin with with is a theocracy (or totalitarianism, frankly).
Tanya 93
WoMD said:

It is well written with well developed characters.
HustlerAggie
Noblemen06 said:

HustlerAggie said:

Seriously not trying to drag this into politics but...how? Trump has his sychophants but the last thing I'd characterize Trump's admin with with is a theocracy (or totalitarianism, frankly).
I agree with you, but like every single review I have read makes the same connection.

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/26/525755370/handmaids-tale-wants-you-to-feel-like-this-could-happen-here
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/04/26/the-handmaids-tale-and-the-power-of-dystopian-fiction-in-the-trump-era/?utm_term=.69d61eae52d9
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447027/handmaids-tale-donald-trump-america-dystopian-fantasy-vs-reality
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/the-handmaids-tale-tvs-most-chilling-trump-era-series-w478718
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/we-live-in-the-reproductive-dystopia-of-the-handmaids-tale
...etc...
wangus12
AG
Quote:

It is possible that most of the tv reviewers are liberal of course.
Its 100%
Al Bula
AG
Looks like both the book and series are garbage.
OldArmy71
AG
Of course it doesn't occur to the lefty author that there already ARE dystopias where women have no rights and are controlled by their husbands and are forced into strict dress codes.

Gosh. I wonder where those are?
The Debt
According to libs trump is antiwomen, antigay, and antiimmigrant. Almost as if he magically turned into a Muslim
Duncan Idaho
The Debt said:

According to libs trump is antiwomen, antigay, and antiimmigrant. Almost as if he magically turned into a Muslim

Almost? Are you kidding me? He is Muslim. /Pfo and most of the politics board

NoahAg
Oh, snap! All my sports heroes is muslim!

Not the Pope!
Cancelled
AG
Noblemen06 said:

HustlerAggie said:

I was going to say the same thing. I know it wasn't OP's position, but what does a twice divorced one time pro abortion New Yorker have to do with anything Christian?
HustlerAggie
queso1 said:

Noblemen06 said:

HustlerAggie said:

I was going to say the same thing. I know it wasn't OP's position, but what does a twice divorced one time pro abortion New Yorker have to do with anything Christian?
Trump definitely associates himself with a lot of Christian leaders and tries to put on all the trappings of a Christian, but as you point out I don't necessarily think he puts much credence in it deep down.
israeliag
AG
Taking this back to the entertainment board, if y'all don't mind: has anyone watched it yet? Thoughts?
The Debt
HustlerAggie said:

queso1 said:

Noblemen06 said:

HustlerAggie said:

Trump definitely associates himself with a lot of Christian leaders and tries to put on all the trappings of a Christian, but as you point out I don't necessarily think he puts much credence in it deep down.

Obama's mentor was a Christian leader and professes himself a Christian...political theater both.
Sapper Redux
OldArmy71 said:

Of course it doesn't occur to the lefty author that there already ARE dystopias where women have no rights and are controlled by their husbands and are forced into strict dress codes.

Gosh. I wonder where those are?

Really religious states bordering on theocracies? Sort of like the novel proposes?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
has anyone noticed the correlation between how angry a poster always is and whether their handle has the words "old army" in it?

Back on track, so is the story written for the twilight fan base or is it more adult than that?
Sapper Redux
Champ Bailey said:

has anyone noticed the correlation between how angry a poster always is and whether their handle has the words "old army" in it?

Back on track, so is the story written for the twilight fan base or is it more adult than that?

More adult. It's good. I don't remember being blown away by it, but it's a well-written novel. The afterword was weak.
CheeseSndwch
Watched the first three episodes and really enjoyed it but to be fair I am a big fan of the dystopian/post apocalyptic genre.

It's definitely geared towards adults as far as sex and violence goes and not to delve back into the political discussion but there is a lot of imagery/themes lifted from the before and after aspect of the Iranian Revolution. One scene in particular (execution w/the crane) hits you over the head with it.

I plan on sticking with the series.
Ag$08
I think the problem with this novel is that it doesn't show any meaningful trends that could possibly lead to that future dystopian state. Because it's not believable, it doesn't serve as a very good critique on modern society. It may be well written, but it can hardly be compared with books like 1984 or even shows like Black Mirror. I'll have to watch the show. Maybe it's just for entertainment like the Hunger Games?
Counterpoint
AG
Ag$08 said:

I think the problem with this novel is that it doesn't show any meaningful trends that could possibly lead to that future dystopian state. Because it's not believable, it doesn't serve as a very good critique on modern society. It may be well written, but it can hardly be compared with books like 1984 or even shows like Black Mirror. I'll have to watch the show. Maybe it's just for entertainment like the Hunger Games?

It did sort of foreshadow things starting to get bad, before the **** really started to go down. And she mentions a lot about how she didn't realize it at the time, but looking back she should have known, etc.
corleoneAg99
AG
Watched all released episodes last night and thought it was good. Moss is excellent and the story has a lot of legs with both the current timeline and the flashbacks.

The reviews of it are real over the top with the political commentary but apart from that seem positive and I'd agree. Wife and I are in.
CheeseSndwch
What could the Handmaid's be traded for that would have an impact on Gilead's currency? Gold?

No Book Spoilers Please.
TriAg2010
AG
Through the first 7 episodes here. Verdict: it's good! I'd put it on par with Man In The High Castle.

Non-Spoiler Observations:
- Some genuinely creepy AF plot twists
- Music is great. They mix lots of dark ominous scores with upbeat contemporary music.
- Love the flashbacks to the pre-Gilead world. Moar!
- Good character development. Plenty of loveables and hateables.
- Not as politically preachy as I was expecting. I think a lot of the pre-release reviews were people projecting onto it.
Duncan Idaho
How many episodes are out now? And are they being released on a regular schedule?
The Milkman
AG
HustlerAggie said:

Noblemen06 said:

HustlerAggie said:

I agree with you, but like every single review I have read makes the same connection.

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/26/525755370/handmaids-tale-wants-you-to-feel-like-this-could-happen-here
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/04/26/the-handmaids-tale-and-the-power-of-dystopian-fiction-in-the-trump-era/?utm_term=.69d61eae52d9
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447027/handmaids-tale-donald-trump-america-dystopian-fantasy-vs-reality
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/the-handmaids-tale-tvs-most-chilling-trump-era-series-w478718
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/we-live-in-the-reproductive-dystopia-of-the-handmaids-tale
...etc...

NPR, the Washington Post, National Review, Rolling Stone, and the New Yorker. Wow what an unbiased group of level headed publications. Surprised you left off Huffington Post
bobbranco
AG
israeliag said:

Taking this back to the entertainment board, if y'all don't mind: has anyone watched it yet? Thoughts?

It is entertaining and I like Elisabeth Moss as an actress although her politics are opposite mine.
bobbranco
AG
9 episodes released to date.

Released on Wednesdays.
Tanya 93
It has been a really good adaptation of the book.
chipotle
My favorite is when Rory carjacks that dude then goes all fast and furious then BAM!!! Head splat.
Counterpoint
AG
bobbranco said:

9 episodes released to date.

Released on Wednesdays.
How many eps per season?
bobbranco
AG
Don't know. Maybe 10?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.