Doctor Who season premiere

14,332 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Missy laid the groundwork for future who writers to introduce a FemDoctor. She is pretty universally loved from what I can tell and was handled well. Yes the master is not the main character but I think a good foundation was laid out on how to handle it.
powerbelly
AG
The only reason I am hesitant about a female doctor is because I think it would be incredibly hard to execute well. Everything would have to be perfect or it would feel like a forced diversity move.
Liquid Wrench
That's all in the writing. If they just go straight into it with a fun adventurer type like Lady De Souza, it should work fine. If they force a lot of dialogue about grrrrl power or anachronistic stuff about being a woman in a man's world, it could be boring and awkward. Considering there's been a female PM and head of Unit, and long-running strong character like Sara Jane, it would be stupid for them to try to force any other kind of agenda.
SeattleAgJr
ChiliBeans said:

That's all in the writing. If they just go straight into it with a fun adventurer type like Lady De Souza, it should work fine. If they force a lot of dialogue about grrrrl power or anachronistic stuff about being a woman in a man's world, it could be boring and awkward. Considering there's been a female PM and head of Unit, and long-running strong character like Sara Jane, it would be stupid for them to try to force any other kind of agenda.
but that is the problem. They cannot do that. The agenda pushing this idea will not allow it.

They would demand it be all about grrrl power, and making commentary about the sexes. That is not what Who is about.

Hell they even had him say it in the finale.
PacifistAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I agree. I think it's definitely doable, but they'll have to be careful about the writing. Some elements will be obsessively looking into every single word hoping to pounce if there appears the slightest hint of an agenda from their perspective.
biobioprof
Am I the only one who thought for a moment that the Pilot was going to be the new Doctor? Capaldi's body still being there said no, but it crossed my mind that they might violate the conventions on regeneration. Bill tells the Doctor that she prefers female and closer to her own age right before the Pilot comes back. And I guess the rumors of a female Doctor influenced my reaction.

Adding to that, it seems like the finale was the end for both Nardole and Bill. It's been quite a while when there was a major companion who didn't last more than one season.

As for Missy/Master. I'm sure that they'll just come up with some ad hoc rationale for bringing the character back when they need to.
taxpreparer
AG
I heard speculation that he will regenerate as the 1st Dr, played by David Bradley. Bradley played William Hartnell in a BBC 50th special about Dr. Who.

This speculation was fueled by the final scene where Capaldi is fighting regeneration and looks up to see a figure claiming to be the original.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
dcaggie04
AG
taxpreparer said:

I heard speculation that he will regenerate as the 1st Dr, played by David Bradley. Bradley played William Hartnell in a BBC 50th special about Dr. Who.

This speculation was fueled by the final scene where Capaldi is fighting regeneration and looks up to see a figure claiming to be the original.
The article has some insight on how Bradley may be used. It is from april and may be spoilerish for some. You have been warned.
Liquid Wrench
Hope that theory is true; it's something I've wanted to see.
RiverDog

Aggie_3
I'm sooo glad they got rid of bill.... most annoying companion
SeattleAgJr
Aggie_3 said:

I actually liked her by the end. not much personality but she and Doctor got along well; much better than Clara.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, despite all my complaints about Capaldi, his introduction was great. His pick may have leaked for all I know, but it was a great way to do it in the show.
Aggie_3
SeattleAgJr said:

Aggie_3 said:

I actually liked her by the end. not much personality but she and Doctor got along well; much better than Clara.

See I loved Clara same with my wife she was one of the best companions in my book
SeattleAgJr
Aggie_3 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Aggie_3 said:

See I loved Clara same with my wife she was one of the best companions in my book
I disagree. Clara was such a poorly written, insipid character.

The actress is beautiful, and there was nothing wrong with her acting. But her character arc was just terrible, both in plotting and writing.

But glad you liked it. I was very happy once she was gone.
Icecream_Ag
S
SeattleAgJr said:

Aggie_3 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Aggie_3 said:

I disagree. Clara was such a poorly written, insipid character.

The actress is beautiful, and there was nothing wrong with her acting. But her character arc was just terrible, both in plotting and writing.

But glad you liked it. I was very happy once she was gone.
I'm in this boat. I liked the actress, but wasn't a big fan of the character for the most part. Would like to see a spinoff with Clara and Me though
TheDoctor
AG
13th Doctor reveal Sunday after Wimbledon final.

Saxsoon
AG
Wow outta nowhere
PacifistAg
AG
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

First female Doctor!!!

As is the case with any new Doctor, will have to get used to them. I'm sure some are going to immediately reject this one, but I'm excited to see how she does.
powerbelly
AG
Not feeling great about this
TheDoctor
AG

Excited to see how this goes. She's excellent in Broadchurch. Onwards!
PacifistAg
AG
TheDoctor said:

Excited to see how this goes. She's excellent in Broadchurch. Onwards!

I agree. Broadchurch was amazing, and I liked her.

There's going to be a "getting used to" period, but I'm excited to see how she does.
SeattleAgJr
TheDoctor
AG
Can I just say

I AM SO HAPPY ITS NOT KRIS EFFING MARSHALL.
TheDoctor
AG
I may be speaking into the Void, and this plea may be in front of a wave of objection, but let's see how this plays out on screen before we judge this choice.

This is new territory for all of us, and that can be accompanied by skepticism, or, in some corners, loathing.

But, let's see the results before we make generalizations. Tune in for episode 1 and if it doesn't work for you, that's fine.
PacifistAg
AG
Write good episodes. Don't violate canon. Do that, and stuff like genitalia won't matter at all.
TheDoctor
AG
RetiredAg said:

Write good episodes. Don't violate canon. Do that, and stuff like genitalia won't matter at all.
Amen.
PacifistAg
AG
Just a regeneration cycle reminder:

SeattleAgJr
RetiredAg said:

there is no "canon" in doctor who.

there is Plotforce, and then there is nothing.

SeattleAgJr
BBC already did it.

Nothing new here.

Saxsoon
AG
It works for me. Might have to watch broadchurch to get a better feel for her but she seems well liked
Saxsoon
AG
Also I loved her smile there. I get the impression we are going to get a more hopeful doctor and maybe we can get away from the doom and gloom
Aggie_3
RetiredAg said:

Just a regeneration cycle reminder:

See I hated this doctor he is hands down my least favorite
Aggie_3
Smith and Tennant are hands down the best ever in my book
SeattleAgJr
Aggie_3 said:

Smith and Tennant are hands down the best ever in my book
If by Smith and Tennant you mean Tom Baker, then you are correct.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.