Doctor Who season premiere

14,274 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saxsoon said:

Also I loved her smile there. I get the impression we are going to get a more hopeful doctor and maybe we can get away from the doom and gloom
Yeah, Baby Boomer Midlife Crisis Doctor got old pretty quickly.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Smith and Tennant are hands down the best ever in my book

Of NuWho, I'll go with Smith. Overall, hard to beat Baker, although Smith does remind me a lot of Baker.
Liquid Wrench
Sapper Redux
Saxsoon said:

It works for me. Might have to watch broadchurch to get a better feel for her but she seems well liked

It's an excellent show and she does a great job
RiverDog
LondonOllie
jkag89
Oh come on now, River operated the TARDIS far better than 11.
bigjohn1
AG
RetiredAg said:

Write good episodes. Don't violate canon. Do that, and stuff like genitalia won't matter at all.
So say us all.
PacifistAg
AG
bigjohn1 said:

RetiredAg said:

Write good episodes. Don't violate canon. Do that, and stuff like genitalia won't matter at all.
So say us all.
Just got done binge watching BSG for the 3rd time last week. Such a great show.
TheDoctor
AG
+1 for 11 getting my vote for best of New Who who reminds me more of Troughton than Baker.

I guess Baker gets it too for Classic Who, but my personal favorite is Troughton.
Liquid Wrench
Just out of curiosity, for you folks who are series-long fans/experts, how did you watch all the old seasons? My first Who memories are as a kid in the 80's when PBS was still running the Tom Baker seasons. They may have occasionally shown some of the other doctors, but not enough for me to really get the concept of who the "new" doctors were, which were already "old" doctors by then.
PacifistAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Just out of curiosity, for you folks who are series-long fans/experts, how did you watch all the old seasons? My first Who memories are as a kid in the 80's when PBS was still running the Tom Baker seasons. They may have occasionally shown some of the other doctors, but not enough for me to really get the concept of who the "new" doctors were, which were already "old" doctors by then.

They were all on Netflix for a while, but were taken off last year.
TheDoctor
AG
ChiliBeans said:

My first exposure to Who was on PBS late nights on Saturdays. My grandmother always recorded the late night BBC comedy shows (Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, etc.) that would air then and give them to me on tape when she saw me. That was a lot easier to do when she moved back to Texas when I was 11 or so. One tape ran over and I saw the first episode of Tom Baker's "Robot" and was hooked.

I had to rely on my grandmother for recordings of Who and the comedies whenever they would come on. Later on, I was able to stay up later and would watch them or record them myself.

They were always out of order, but the majority were Baker serials. I tried to fill in the gaps later with DVD and, until recently, Netflix. I had to do a lot of leg work on my own to track down the order of the episodes and Doctors. But, when you're a kid with a lot of time to kill and you love something enough, you take the time.
PacifistAg
AG
The Changing Genders In (and of) Doctor Who

Came across this today. Interesting read and I hope that those still opposed to the idea of a female Doctor check it out.

Quote:

Back in 1980, when Tom Baker had announced he was leaving the role of the Fourth Doctor, the actor told assembled journalists:

"I wish my successor, whoever he or she might be, the best of luck."

Though Baker was indeed jesting at this point, then producer John Nathan-Turner ran with this in the media to provoke press interest.

Quote:

However, on a more serious note, Sydney Newman (a man hugely responsibly for bringing Doctor Who to the screen in 1963) recommended a female Doctor to the then BBC Chairman Michael Grade in 1986.

Newman wrote:

"At a later stage, Doctor Who should be metamorphosed into a woman."

The Canadian producer also stated he wanted to "avoid a flashy, Hollywood Wonder Woman because this kind of heroine with no flaws is a bore." So, over thirty years ago, even Doctor Who's co-creator wanted a gender change for the lead role.

I'm starting to get really excited to see how she does. From what it sounds like, she was amazing in the audition.

Tanya 93
TheDoctor
AG
The Doctors return this Christmas in "Twice Upon a Time".

Saxsoon
AG
Holy hell that transformation into David Bradley.

That looks really really good, should not have spoiled Bill being back. She will probably want to snog the new Doc.
PacifistAg
AG
BTW, I had been searching all over for Classic Who episodes ever since Netflix dropped them. Not sure how I hadn't heard about this before, but BritBox is available in the US and has a large bulk of the episodes. I know some have been lost to time, but here's a breakdown of those available:

First Doctor
Series 1 - 31 of 42 episodes available
Series 2 - 36/39
Series 3 - 19/45

Second Doctor
Series 4 - 9/43
Series 5 - 19/40
Series 6 - 39/44

Third Doctor
Series 7 - 25/25
Series 8 - 25/25
Series 9 - 23/26
Series 10 - 21/26
Series 11 - 26/26

Fourth Doctor
Series 12 - 20/20
Series 13 - 26/26
Series 14 - 26/26
Series 15 - 26/26
Series 16 - 26/26
Series 17 - 20/20
Series 18 - 28/28

Fifth Doctor
Series 19 - 26/26
Series 20 - 22/22
The Five Doctors
Series 21 - 23/24

Sixth Doctor

Series 22 - 12/13
Series 23 - 14/14

Seventh Doctor
Series 24 - 14/14
Series 25 - 11/14
Series 26 - 14/14

Only $7/month!
Liquid Wrench
Some levity:

TheDoctor
AG
I had to cut back a few months ago and cut this out of my budget, but I think I may add it back on and cut something else out. They're only sign to get more content and it'll be a God send until next year.
PacifistAg
AG
TheDoctor said:

I had to cut back a few months ago and cut this out of my budget, but I think I may add it back on and cut something else out. They're only sign to get more content and it'll be a God send until next year.
Yeah, I'd definitely cut something else out in order to get BritBox. Just skip one meal out a month, and you're set.

Working our way from the beginning, and hope to get all the way up-to-date by the Christmas special.
PacifistAg
AG
I'm not sure this is official, and is from the Daily Mirror so take it for what it's worth, but it looks like Bradley Walsh may be the new companion.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bradley-walsh-revealed-doctor-who-11028647

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.