*** X-MEN / DEADPOOL (FOX-OWNED MARVEL) ***

50,152 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MaroonStain
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every time stories like the three below break, ones that don't quite deserve their own thread, I never know where to put them and they always ends up getting shoe-horned into an old/existing X-Men, Deadpool, or Logan thread, if posted at all. So I figured I'd start an all-encompassing thread dedicated explicitly to the 20th Century Fox-owned Marvel properties (i.e. the non-MCU Marvel properties), which look to be aligning into distinct X-Men and Deadpool-centric franchises that will obviously continue to cross over from time to time. So, again, just to be clear, this thread is to discuss general news and happenings for the continuation of the X-Men movies, the new X-Men TV show coming to Fox, whatever the Deadpool/X-Force side of things ends up becoming, and even Fantastic Four, should that property ever get going again...
TCTTS
AG

http://collider.com/x-men-7-director-simon-kinberg/
TCTTS
AG

http://collider.com/deadpool-2-drew-goddard/
TCTTS
AG

http://collider.com/x-force-movie-joe-carnahan-script/
TCTTS
AG
Btw, Collider has obviously been on a roll with this stuff over the past 24 hours...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Wasn't Simon Kinberg a co-writer for Apocalypse? Weren't we all looking forward to that and came away slightly disappointed?

Anyways, if there is a going to be another X-Men movie the most important question will be if what we've suspected about Logan will have an impact on future movies.
TCTTS
AG
Kinberg has basically been the backbone of the franchise for as long as I can remember. Through all of Singer's comings and goings, Kinberg has always kind of steadied the ship behind the scenes. Yes, he's explicitly co-written a couple of these, but has had creative influence on many more, for better or for worse. He's also very involved with the Star Wars franchise as well, if that means anything. Dude has his hands in everything.
israeliag
AG
Joe Carnahan involvement might be the most reassuring to me. Smoking Aces and Stretch almost seem like thematic cousins to Deadpool.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I really like Carnahan. He's a great follow on Twitter too.
Dro07
AG
Funny and ironic that they are trying to revolve around deadpool... a movie that they initially did not want to make until the "leaked" footage made its rounds. What a damn gold mine they hit
rhutton125
AG
I don't know a ton about X-Force, but it pains me to see images of it and knowing that they likely won't include Archangel because he's been wasted not once but twice in 10 years.

I guess it's how Fantastic Four fans must feel.
AliasMan02
AG
Jumping into Dark Phoenix is a Batman vs Superman level error of judgement. This new Jean has barely had any development at all, let alone her teammates. Add I sit here, I can barely recall which characters were even in Apocalypse (another huge mistake). I know Cyclops was in it, but I can't remember a single thing about him.

I wish they'd create new stories and let the franchise breathe a little.
rhutton125
AG
I think I agree. I also think theyre in a lose/lose with the time period - at some point you jump forward too far for Sophie Turner and the young cast to be believable, or you just... keep making 80s and 90s X-Men movies so you can keep this cast? I don't know.
AliasMan02
AG
rhutton125 said:

I think I agree. I also think theyre in a lose/lose with the time period - at some point you jump forward too far for Sophie Turner and the young cast to be believable, or you just... keep making 80s and 90s X-Men movies so you can keep this cast? I don't know.

I bet they abandon the nostalgia deal and tell Supernova in the modern day (or close to it) with the same cast without explaining the lack of aging.

Also, do we not have an Xavier for this film?
rhutton125
AG
While I, personally, was hoping for a complete reboot sooner or later, it's looking like we'll be getting the following:

Deadpool 2 (2018)
New Mutants (2018)
X-Men: Supernova (rumored - Dark Phoenix storyline)

In other Fox news:
Alpha Flight and Exiled are being considered
Gambit probably won't film until 2018 at the earliest
Kinberg has no clue if they plan on trying another Fantastic Four movie
YouBet
AG
Always liked Alpha Flight. Also another opportunity for Wolverine appearance.

Speaking of...I watched The Accountant last night and the whole time I'm watching Jon Bernthal with that hair I'm thinking man, he might be able to pull off a great wolverine especially more in the vein of the original character. Brooding and always in a bad mood. Hair trigger temper. If he beefed up a little I think he would be a good casting choice. Plus, he's shorter. Guess he's already in MCU though so that won't happen.
TCTTS
AG
Ulrich
That's perfect. WOLVERINE DOESN'T AGE!
Sex Panther
AG
That is amazing
TCTTS
AG

http://www.slashfilm.com/secret-logan-trailer/
TCTTS
AG

http://www.thewrap.com/david-harbour-cable-deadpool-2-stranger-things/
israeliag
AG
He's got the acting chops and presence, just not sure about voice. Could be perfect if he can nail a deeper voice (he's got a bit of a nasaly thing going).
AliasMan02
AG
After watching Logan, I'm ready for Fox to just continue from that point with their X-films. Set them starting in 2029 or whatever and tell some totally new stories, R rated and based around X23 and her crew growing up with their powers and a heavy reverence for their X-Men legacy. Have them doing it on their own without government sanction or support from an Xavier-like figure, striking into the US from Canada to take on the anti-mutant establishment there. A mutant insurgency. Make it feel more like Runaways than Young Avengers... no code names or costumes.Make them a hard R and run with it.
TCTTS
AG

http://www.slashfilm.com/x-men-movies-ranked/

Pretty spot on. Granted, I haven't seen half of these in forever, but I'd change it up slightly and probably go...

10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
09. X-Men: Apocalypse
08. X-Men: The Last Stand
07. The Wolverine
06. Deadpool
05. X-Men: First Class
04. X-Men
03. X-Men: Days of Future Past
02. X2: X-Men United
01. Logan

I caught a bit of Days of Future Past on TV yesterday and that's just a damn enjoyable movie. It's of course hindered by certain previous franchise decisions/aesthetics, but all things considered, it's exactly what it needed to be and has really grown on me. It's also crazy that Logan is so good, it's retroactively made me like some of these more than I did before.
AgMarauder04
AG
Deadpool should be higher.

Apolcalypse is not worse than Last Stand. I'd put it at maybe 7.
schmendeler
AG
love x-men more than the MCU. glad to hear there's some good stuff in the works.
AliasMan02
AG
Strong argument can be made for Deadpool at #1, imo. It's definitely top 3.
rhutton125
AG
1-3 X1, X2 and DoFP in any order
4. Logan
5. Deadpool
6. First Class
7. The Wolverine
8. Apocalypse
9. X3
10. Origins which I haven't even seen and probably never will unless it's a hate-watch
Al Bula
AG
Apocalypse was hokey AF. Quicksilver saved that movie. Young Jean Grey and Cyclops were pretty good too.

I like Magneto and Prof. X but they weren't nearly as strong in Apocalypse.
AliasMan02
AG
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/deadpool-2-frontrunner-to-play-cable-revealed/1100-6448902/

Michael Shannon in the lead to play Cable? Not sure I love that choice, but in Ryan I trust.
Max Power
AG
I could really see that working. You need someone that can pull off being the opposite of Deadpool, that can be deadpan to the ridiculousness that is Deadpool. Michael Shannon can make that work, and if Reynolds gets to sign off on the casting as a producer they've gotta have some chemistry too.
Dro07
AG
Don't like Shannon as an actor.
schmendeler
AG
Agent Van Alden
TXAGFAN
AG
dromo07 said:

Don't like Shannon as an actor.
He seems insufferable as a person too based on interviews I've heard.
The Debt
What makes X1 so great?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.