*** GET OUT ***

23,355 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Teacher_Ag
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marsuvees said:

This movie was just so much fun and seeing at a opening night release was so much fun. The audience was really into it and clapping at the end (and a particular moment in the movie).

Was it the moment when... the TSA guy opened the car door?

That's when our audience went crazy!
BassCowboy33
Count Counterpoint said:

Marsuvees said:

This movie was just so much fun and seeing at a opening night release was so much fun. The audience was really into it and clapping at the end (and a particular moment in the movie).

Our crowd went crazy when he crushed the guy's face with his foot.
tylercsbn9
AG
This was an absolutely phenomenal movie.

One of the best I've ever seen.
jock1020
AG
But why black people? Even the main character asked that and i cant remember if it was ever answered.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
It's very subtle, only mentioned once I think, but it all started when the grandpa got beat by Jesse Owens for the olympics by Owens' "natural ability" and it just escalated from there
BassCowboy33
navasotaagg18 said:

It's very subtle, only mentioned once I think, but it all started when the grandpa got beat by Jesse Owens for the olympics by Owens' "natural ability" and it just escalated from there

I don't think this was it. That was part of the red herring meant to throw you off course of the real motive. At least not in the way it's being implied in this post.

He wasn't trying to get revenge on black people. He was trying to BE black, because he realized they had more desirable physical traits.
Saxsoon
AG
Count Counterpoint said:

Marsuvees said:

I guess I should have said multiple times haha

That was definitely one of them as well as he took out each of the people doing this to him.

Who else thought the vehicle at the end was going to be the worst possible way for the movie to end and Peele had one last trick up his sleeve?
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Oh yeah the whole genius of the movie was those little subtle hints that you just dismiss as white people being super awkward (like "black is now in fashion")

I just think the one I referenced was the big one that set it all in motion.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Yeah I definitely didn't mean it like that. Like I said earlier in this thread, the biggest irony is the general thinking just going into this movie blind would be that it is a psychotic white family trying to create a pseudo plantation, but in fact it's the exact opposite and based on jealously.
BassCowboy33
navasotaagg18 said:

Yeah I definitely didn't mean it like that. Like I said earlier in this thread, the biggest irony is the general thinking just going into this movie blind would be that it is a psychotic white family trying to create a pseudo plantation, but in fact it's the exact opposite and based on jealously.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Very typical white man bad, black man good movie. Save your money.
canadiaggie
AG
ATM1876 said:

I'm sorry you didn't like, and I'm sure there will be others who feel as you did, but it seems like we saw two completely different movies. It's still early but it looks like the majority of us had a surprisingly fun experience.
Edit: how does one go about posting with spoiler warnings?
BassCowboy33
Troutslime said:

Yeah, I didn't get that at all. If anything, I felt it demonized those who go out of their way to be politically correct.
Counterpoint
AG
Troutslime said:

This is VERY different from the movie I watched.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
You don't think it represented an extended exploitation of black people? Explain how it didn't do that.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Is this worth watching in what will likely be an empty matinee showing (got the day off today)? Or should I wait for a larger audience time slot.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Bet.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
ATM1876 said:

Troutslime said:

You don't think it represented an extended exploitation of black people? Explain how it didn't do that.
If that was your main takeaway then you completely missed the whole point of the movie. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I seriously doubt any explanation from those of us who enjoyed it would change your mind.

So you aren't going to take a stab at explaining the question I presented? I can absolutely see how you would think the way you are, but I think in order to reach your conclusion you have to ignore several key components of the movie. The main component being that is was made by a black man for a black audience. The theater I watched it in was approximately 30% black people in an affluent suburb of Houston, and they stood and cheered as the white characters were killed off. By a black man. Who had been deceived by white characters.

Your view is definitely a component of the movie, but hardly worthy of calling it the movies theme.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I saw it at an early showing Saturday afternoon, which was only about 40% full. The audience was mostly quiet for most of the movie, but there was considerable applause when the TSA friend showed up at the end.
Counterpoint
AG
Troutslime said:

ATM1876 said:

Troutslime said:

If that was your main takeaway then you completely missed the whole point of the movie. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I seriously doubt any explanation from those of us who enjoyed it would change your mind.

So you aren't going to take a stab at explaining the question I presented? I can absolutely see how you would think the way you are, but I think in order to reach your conclusion you have to ignore several key components of the movie. The main component being that is was made by a black man for a black audience. The theater I watched it in was approximately 30% black people in an affluent suburb of Houston, and they stood and cheered as the white characters were killed off. By a black man. Who had been deceived by white characters.

Your view is definitely a component of the movie, but hardly worthy of calling it the movies theme.

I would have cheered when that horrible family got killed, no matter what color they were...and no matter what color the killer was!
jock1020
AG
Questions about the "victims": Were all of these people supposedly coming from situations where they had no family? I think the main character was the only one that they showed had no family (at least no mom, I don't think they dove deeper than that). The cracker family has done this MANY times (judging by the daughters photo collection), they didn't give me much of an idea of how they don't get caught.

These people have friends, at least, that would know that they disappeared with their "girlfriend." They never addressed how the family covered their tracks
Counterpoint
AG

Use [ ] instead of { } for the spoiler tags!

Funky Winkerbean
AG
You forget that the white people weren't really white. Also, why did the director place such importance on throwing the white brains in the trash?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I thought all of the guests at the party had been given the transplants.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Troutslime said:

You forget that the white people weren't really white. Also, why did the director place such importance on throwing the white brains in the trash?
Just got out of the movie and...LOLWUT.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Troutslime said:

Just got out of the movie and...LOLWUT.

I found it odd that they took the time to show the white mans brain going into the trash.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.