*** GET OUT ***

23,327 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Teacher_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
White Liberals=The Worst
I need another movie to remind me how racist white people are. Half kidding...this actually looks pretty damn good.
CorpsAg11
AG
I didn't think it looked great from the trailer but glad to hear i was wrong
PatAg
AG
Peele is a genius, so Im sure this is good. I'm not really a horror movie fan though
schmendeler
AG
i'll look for it on hbo or netflix
Sex Panther
AG
I'm a fan of Key and Peele, but I'll say it... don't have any desire to see this movie based on the premise.

Not surprised it's getting good reviews.
Zombie
Hate to be that guy....but can anyone remember the last movie about race relations that actually received a bad review?
TCTTS
AG
israeliag
AG
Alien vs. Predator
MooreTrucker
AG
I musta missed something because I didn't see anything funny in that trailer....except the big black guy telling the other black guy not to get all bougie, but that's just because I think bougie is a funny word.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I'd really love it if next year Tyler Perry makes a reverse version of this where a black girl brings her white boyfriend home to a place where hypnotized whites are being detained.
MooreTrucker
AG
ATM1876 said:

Sex Panther said:

I'm a fan of Key and Peele, but I'll say it... don't have any desire to see this movie based on the premise.

I probably wouldn't have seen it either if I hadn't been invited to an advanced screening, but I'm glad I did. There's something to be said about being surprised at liking a movie you had low expectations for. I had no desire to see John Wick: Chapter 2 until curiousity got the best of me and I saw the original last week. Now I'm back in the theater 15 minutes before showtime.
Same here. I saw the trailer for John Wick 2 and now I have to find the first one to watch before I see #2.
wangus12
AG
All I know is that it is every ******* ad on youtube this week.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Saw it tonight and loved it. If you come away from it being offended by the racial satire then I really don't know what to tell you. Especially considering I the whole point of the hypnosis and body stealing is rooted in the jealousy of the grandpa losing to Jessie Owens, as opposed to it being some pseudo plantation which is what could be assumed from the trailer.

Overall it was a very well-made and original movie. I think I might have to disagree on the trailer though. I only watched the full length one once when I was at the theater for Split about a month ago, so maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't think it gives away the deeper elements of the movie at all.
Counterpoint
AG
ATM1876 said:

Awesome, glad that you liked it!

My thoughts on the trailer possibly giving away too much were based on watching it right after seeing the movie. It definitely doesn't give away anything that makes the movie so unique but it does feel like they just fast-forwarded through the movie and pulled out 2:30 worth of sequential clips. I think that if somebody watched it a few days before seeing the movie it might spoil some of the conventional horror elements but I may be wrong about that.

100 reviews and still at 100%, crazy!
I read and heard somewhere that you should see this in theaters because it's really fun to watch with an audience. Do you agree with that? I'm going to see it this weekend if so.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Ah I see what you mean now. I really can't wait to see what other people think because everyone I went with was blown away
Saxsoon
AG
There is no doubt in my mind that at the end of the year this will be in my top 10, maybe top 5. And I am a white moderate leaning conservative. The movie definitely made me think on race relations but not in a way that beats you over the head. For a directorial debut the movie was downright masterful with some amazing visuals.

I would say the movie is 10% comedy, 20% cringe comedy over the whiteness around black people, and the rest straight up thriller horror. Very little gore and maybe a handful of jump scares (I only thought one was unearned with a sharp uptick in the music that would have been more effective without it at all)

This movie was just so much fun and seeing at a opening night release was so much fun. The audience was really into it and clapping at the end (and a particular moment in the movie).

The movie definitely skewers white liberal America which was kind of a nice icing on the cake watching it in Seattle.
HeadGames
AG
Thanks for your take, I might watch it now. I was getting a vibe from a lot of rotten tomatoes reviews that it was overly racial/white guilt. I really like Jordan Peele.
Sex Panther
AG
I'll give it a shot too based on these reviews. Definitely like Peele but I was right there with Headgames take on it.
Saxsoon
AG
Peele related this movie to his inspiration stepford wives. That movie is about how men can control women but doesn't necessarily make him feel bad about being a man or villainized. He did say it opened his eyes a little bit towards women and was hoping for a similar take here. Hearing his explanation helped realign my expectations for the film.

Also I guarantee the reason why this whole thing goes down within the universe is nothing you will suspect even when you think it tips its hand only 20 minutes in. Or even how the white people actually view black people which is why I didn't feel like it made white people to be outright evil (though these people definitely are).
BassCowboy33
SPOILER

I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a "black people need to be put in their place" type turn late in the film. You know, the white people are racist devils type thing. I was so conditioned to be watching for something revolving around skin color, that actual motive slipped right underneath me. Well done.

Edited for grammar and fat fingers and other stuff.
Saxsoon
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

SPOILER

I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a "black people need to be put in their place" type turn late in the film. You know, the white people are racist devils type thing. I was so conditioned to be watching for something revolving around skin color, that actual motive slipped right underneath me. Well done.

Edited for grammar and fat fingers and other stuff.
That was the part that surprised me the most too. I was expecting it and Peele completely subverted it.
canadiaggie
AG
Saw it last night, thought it was really good. Peele's a sharp moviemaker. I agree with some of the above comments about watching it with an audience, I'm also one of of those shut-yer-trap types in the movie theatre but this one will draw laughs and comments and yells that are pretty much part of the experience.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was a hell of a movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.