Celebrity Death Watch 2017

37,888 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by MookieBlaylock
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Corporal Punishment said:

Definitely morbid...but the younger the deceased, the more points one is awarded...or at least that's how it should be.

Definitely this. Someone with more motivation than me needs to come up with some rules.

As a semipro game designer, this is an easy one.

Pick 10 celebs. You get points of 100 minus their age at time of death. So no points for celebs 100+.

"Call It" bonus rule: You may opt to "call" the specific mode of death for any or all of your celebs. Get it right and triple your points. Get it wrong and get no points. If the specific cause of death is not released, your "call" is nullified and you just get the normal points.

"Clock it" bonus rule: You may opt to "clock" the specific month of death for any or all of your celebs. Get it right and your points for the death are x12. Get it wrong and get no points.

"Call it" and "Clock it" may be combined at the participant's discretion.

"Defy Death" bonus rule: As one of your 10 celebs you may pick a celeb TO SURVIVE that is 100 or older as of Jan 1 2017. If that celeb lives to see Jan 1 2018, you get 25 points added to your score.
walton91
Didn't Carrie Fisher and George Michael teach us anything?!?!? Start this thread over with a list of 40-70 yr olds!!
Seven Costanza
AG
walton91 said:

Didn't Carrie Fisher and George Michael teach us anything?!?!? Start this thread over with a list of 40-70 yr olds!!

That got me thinking, I wonder how many famous people there are in that age range, assuming we defined famous as being able to be identified by 50% of adults in the US.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Seven Costanza said:

walton91 said:

That got me thinking, I wonder how many famous people there are in that age range, assuming we defined famous as being able to be identified by 50% of adults in the US.

it's gonna be HUGE......YUGE........I pointed this out before (different thread maybe but)......

the 70's and 80's was an absolute explosion of pop icon figures.....it's no exaggeration to say the number of stars easily increased 10x....maybe 50x in that period because:

Music - MTV made video stars of literally thousands of artists and new bands and opened up the world to all of these artists and recognition of them in a way never seen before. Likewise it let us see bands and stars from all around the world. The days of not even knowing who the artist was cuz you just heard a song on the radio were gone. Also music became portable for the first time really with the walkman which made it all more popular as well.

TV - the late 70s and early 80s saw the explosion of cable television and we went from 3 networks and a few local crappy channels to hundreds of channels almost overnight and that brought tons of new stars into our homes. They had to fill 24/7 on all these channels with something and that meant a lot of new faces. Cable TV with premium movie channels also meant viewing of a lot more movies (see below).

Movies - the mid 70's saw the advent of the summer blockbuster (Jaws) and soon the explosion of sci-fi movies and action movies and teen movies that followed and were all staples of the 80s and 90s and made superstars of so many young movie stars. The days of the studios controlling the movies and just casting a handful of hand picked favorites were over. In addition the 90s saw the real growth of independent films and low budget films that gained wide audiences (not the B movies of yesterday). Also the advent of VHS tapes and rentals meant an explosion in movie watching as well and people seeing movies they never saw in the theaters.

All of that contributed to a huge number of stars that were born (in our minds) in that period. And they are all 45-70 now in addition to the older stars that have lived long enough now to be 75-100 as people have lived longer but now they are starting to die off simply from old age.

The number of deaths we have seen in 2016 is just to be expected now...in fact that might just be a new threshold I wouldn't be surprised if we don't surpass that from now on, or for the next 25 years or so regularly.

BigHitterDaLama
Im thinking of 80s/90s Metal/Rock front man.....like a Scott Weiland, Lemmy Kilmister. We know a few rappers will be shot or die from drug use.

Edit: Brett Michaels.......history of heart issues post singing career.
Btron
AG
Now most times when I scroll through my social media feed and rolling stone, or gq have a pic of an older celebrity, I feel like I'm about to read of their passing. Today was Tom Petty.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Btron said:

Now most times when I scroll through my social media feed and rolling stone, or gq have a pic of an older celebrity, I feel like I'm about to read of their passing. Today was Tom Petty.

NO!!!!!!...i have tickets in April to the 40th Anniversary tour with the Heartbreakers and Joe Walsh.

CorpsAg11
AG
Via "suicide":
Julian Assange
Assorted Clinton Foundation whistle blowers
John Podesta

"Hard living" related:
Courtney Love
Lenny Dykstra
Keith Richards
Willie Nelson (prob more old age related)
John Daly
Johnny Manziel
Charlie Sheen

Old age:
Jimmy Carter
Betty White
Dick Van Dyke
H.W. & Babs
Kirk Douglas
Ag 11
AG
Artie Lange
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Burt Reynolds is not doing great.

Bill Cosby. Old people do not take their fall from grace well. See Joe Paterno for example.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Btron said:

The waiting is the hardest part......
Whitetail
AG
RIP Miguel Ferrer
62strat
AG
Man hugh hefner is 90?

I bet he croaks while his dick is in a 23 year old.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
62strat said:

Man hugh hefner is 90?

I bet he croaks while his dick is in a 23 year old.
GOALS
MSFC Aggie
AG
Anybody have MTM?
Whitetail
AG
Bill Paxton

http://people.com/movies/bill-paxton-dead-complications-surgery-age-61/
CorpsAg11
AG
I don't think anyone saw this one coming. He was still getting work (good work actually) and looked relatively healthy.
Fairview
AG
Judge Wapner

He would've been a solid choice but he was so old I bet most didn't know he was still alive. Plus he hasn't been in the limelight for a long while.
Corporal Punishment
AG

Noam Chomsky - 88
Bob Dole - 93
Orrin Hatch - 82
Vin Scully - 89
Glen Campbell - 80
Robert Conrad - 81
Jan-Michael Vincent - 72
Willie Mays - 85
Jim Bunning - 85
Erin Moran - 56
How many points do I get for Erin Moran?

Too soon? Yes, too soon.
Corporal Punishment
AG
No one had Noriega? Show the man some respect. Geez.
MookieBlaylock
AG
always go musicians they are on fire
Southlake
Glen Campbell will be gone within a week
Belton Ag
AG

Noam Chomsky - 88
Bob Dole - 93
Orrin Hatch - 82
Vin Scully - 89
Glen Campbell - 80
Robert Conrad - 81
Jan-Michael Vincent - 72
Willie Mays - 85
Jim Bunning - 85
Erin Moran - 56
How many points do I get for Erin Moran?

Too soon? Yes, too soon.
You randomly had Jim Bunning and Erin Moran on this list and now they're both dead. Everyone else on your list is in grave danger and frankly I'm wondering if you had something to do with it.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I made a joke about Manuel Noriega on the baseball forum on Monday night...

A few hours later he was dead.
Belton Ag
AG

I made a joke about Manuel Noriega on the baseball forum on Monday night...

A few hours later he was dead.
I'm solemnly preparing myself for the death of Jan-Michael Vincent.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Chalk up Adam West...and don't blame me. He wasn't on my list. Carry on...
Big Al 1992
AG
Yesterday was Glenn Headley - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and as Mrs. Dee Boots in Lonsome Dove.
Rex Racer
AG
Glenne
Potcake
AG
Last Thursday
MookieBlaylock
AG
Airwolf iS going down
VanZandt92
Jan Michael Vincent was the highest paid actor on TV for a time?
Human
AG
Willie Nelson anyone?
Aggies76
AG
Robert Redford is 80, but is probably in pretty good health.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Human said:

Willie Nelson anyone?
Pretty sure if Willie was going to die, he would've died a long time ago.
MooreTrucker
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Im thinking of 80s/90s Metal/Rock front man.....like a Scott Weiland, Lemmy Kilmister. We know a few rappers will be shot or die from drug use.

Edit: Brett Michaels.......history of heart issues post singing career.
Chris Cornell

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.