***FIRST MAN (Ryan Gosling, dir.Damien Chazelle)

58,328 Views | 533 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BoydCrowder13
Living Legend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hmm I guess I never really thought about classifying Jurassic Park as Sci fi. I agree with most of your list tho.
TCTTS
AG
FancyKetchup14
AG
Saw this preview during my Fallout IMAX showing. It gave me goosebumps. I can't wait for this.
TCTTS
AG
Finally saw the exclusive look tonight as well and yeah, it's pretty dope. Basically an edited version of the launch, all from inside the capsule. Super intense, everything vibrating/shaking like crazy. Last shot was amazing, too - a GIANT fullscreen IMAX shot slowly pushing in on Armstrong standing on the moon. Dude next to me literally cheered.
OldArmy71
AG
I grew up with the space program, and as an adult I have read quite a bit about it. I'm not convinced that Gosling is the right guy, but I'll give it a chance. I'll probably take my 9-year-old granddaughter when the movie comes out.
BMX Bandit
For the anti-Gosling posters, who were you thinking?

OldArmy71
AG
That is an excellent question. I love movies, but I don't watch many contemporary ones, so it would be difficult to choose a current actor. You need someone low-key, confident, not a pretty boy, not flashy, not James Dean, not a wise ass, about 40 years old.

Someone who leaps to mind would be Colin Hanks, though I confess I have only seen him in Fargo and Band of Brothers. He may be too mushy, not confident enough.

However, studios choose big names to attract an audience and always have, so there you are.

I would be interested in other people's suggestions.

FancyKetchup14
AG
After seeing Fallout and what's on deck for the rest of 2019, this is the only movie I can reasonably see challenging it for the top spot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw the IMAX preview as well. Absolute chills. Amazing.
TCTTS
AG
You mean 2018? If so, yeah, I agree.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Yeah, 2018. Whoops
schmendeler
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Saw this preview during my Fallout IMAX showing. It gave me goosebumps. I can't wait for this.

It was frankly amazing. First time to almost feel like I got a taste of what that must have been like.
Hogties
AG
The IMAX preview which puts you inside the capsule during launch was absolutely amazing. It was terrifying, awesome, and inspiring,

Seeing and feeling the power of the launch while being bolted into the capsule was terrifying. The fact that Americans with slide rules built and launched it and we had people with balls big enough to strap that rocket on their back and walk on the moon is awesome. And the fact that humans have the capacity to do it is inspiring.
Gap
AG
I was surprised how dark the movie appeared to be from the trailer before MI.
schmendeler
AG
Hogties said:

The IMAX preview which puts you inside the capsule during launch was absolutely amazing. It was terrifying, awesome, and inspiring,

Seeing and feeling the power of the launch while being bolted into the capsule was terrifying. The fact that Americans with slide rules built and launched it and we had people with balls big enough to strap that rocket on their back and walk on the moon is awesome. And the fact that humans have the capacity to do it is inspiring.

Perfectly describes my experience as well. This is a must see for me now.
TriAg2010
AG
BMX Bandit said:

For the anti-Gosling posters, who were you thinking?

I think Chris Pratt would be a closer facimile to Armstrong because he has a rounder head than Gosling. I don't care though. This movie has me jacked.
TCTTS
AG
First up, a fantastic second trailer timed in conjunction with the film's premiere last night at the Venice Film Festival...

TCTTS
AG
And then a couple of reactions from the premiere itself in Venice last night. Expect a ton more to follow in the coming hours, once the embargo lifts...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
FancyKetchup14
AG
F***in' A. This looks awesome.
rynning
AG
Reading some of the comments on the YouTube trailer....

"Didn't they already make this movie in 1969?"
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that's actually pretty good.
TCTTS
AG
Goro Majima
AG
When Kliff Kingsbury went to space ...
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

First up, a fantastic second trailer timed in conjunction with the film's premiere last night at the Venice Film Festival...

Definitely my most anticipated movie of the fall
who?mikejones
AG
Disappointed to read they omitted the planting of the us flag on the moon part from the film because of a political point of view.

Still going to see it cause it looks awesome.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

Disappointed to read they omitted the planting of the us flag on the moon part from the film because of a political point of view.

Where did you read that? Thanks.
who?mikejones
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6113757/amp/Neil-Armstrong-biopic-leaves-moment-plants-flag-moon.html

Always skeptical of British tabloids but it has gosling quotes so i am giving some credence to the story
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
That is kind of crap. But realize the story I have always heard is that one of the reasons Armstrong was choosen to be the first man was because he was a civilian pilot and not active military.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
who?mikejones said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6113757/amp/Neil-Armstrong-biopic-leaves-moment-plants-flag-moon.html

Always skeptical of British tabloids but it has gosling quotes so i am giving some credence to the story
I am going to see this movie, but dang if this kind of anti-American crap just has to find its way into a movie about one of America's top moments. I don't recall seeing Mozambique, Australia, or Mexico on the moon ... ever. Just depict the actual history.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That won't keep me from seeing the movie, but it does piss me off that they're omitting that. I don't care how much they want to deny it, that was a huge achievement for America and one of the most important events in American history.
TCTTS
AG
I could've swore I saw the flag in the background of the final shot of the IMAX footage before M:I6. Maybe they just don't show it being planted. I could be misremembering, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.