***FIRST MAN (Ryan Gosling, dir.Damien Chazelle)

57,702 Views | 533 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BoydCrowder13
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Those who have now seen both La La Land and Whiplash - heck, even just Whiplash - know that Damien Chazelle is the real deal. This kid (he's only 31) is quickly becoming one of the best filmmakers working today, and his next project, which has just been announced, sounds fantastic... a Neil Armstrong biopic, starring Ryan Gosling, called First Man.

The Oscar-winning co-writer of Spotlight, Josh Singer, wrote the script, which "is based on James Hansen's biography 'First Man: A Life Of Neil A. Armstrong' and tells the story of NASA's mission to land a man on the moon, focusing on Neil Armstrong and the years 1961-1969. A visceral, first-person account, the movie will explore the sacrifices and the cost - on Armstrong and on America - of one of the most dangerous space missions in history."

With shooting already planned to begin in early 2017, it sounds like Universal is looking to make a push for next year's award season, and I cannot wait...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/damien-chazelle-ryan-gosling-neil-armstrong-biopic-first-man-1201949407/
TajMaballer
AG
So in!

This might warrant it's own thread, but Chazelle was a part of a Hollywood Reporter's roundtable (hosted by Jon Favreau and including Donald Glover, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Issa Rae). I love these things normally, but every single one at the table was a joy to listen to.
Duncan Idaho
Any word on who is going to play Stanley Kubrick?

Or is this going to be another reboot of the fictional story that we went to the moon?
ja86
AG
Neil was a rather boring guy. Jim Lovell hints at it even made the Apollo 13 movie. What will be the hook besides another telling of going to the moon?
MSFC Aggie
AG
ja86 said:

Neil was a rather boring guy. Jim Lovell hints at it even made the Apollo 13 movie. What will be the hook besides another telling of going to the moon?
Maybe Kramer can sell them some stories
AgPediRPh
AG
ja86 said:

Neil was a rather boring guy

Oh yeah? First man on the moon: Neil A
Now spell his name backwards
ja86
AG
jjmanzano said:

ja86 said:

Neil was a rather boring guy

Oh yeah? First man on the moon: Neil A
Now spell his name backwards
Tobias Funke
AG
Have the already cast the team that built the fake moon studio?
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm always in for a good '60s NASA story, and there's definitely interesting stories to tell around Gemini 8 and Apollo 11, but the episodes of From the Earth to the Moon do such a good job on those I'm wondering what new things they can do as far as his actual space career goes.
TCTTS
AG
True, and I was thinking about that, but From the Earth to the Moon is nearly 19 years old, while Apollo 13 is almost 22 (not to mention The Right Stuff, which is coming up on 34 years). I feel like more than enough time has passed for a new retelling of a story in that vein.
Ag Since 83
AG
Regarding the aging of those, the CGI for the Saturn V launch in Apollo 13 looks pretty bad, so in that regard maybe we can get some new NASA rocket visuals.
Vander
AG
ja86 said:

I don't see why a person has to be a degenerate to have a biopic made out of their life. Neil Armstrong was an absolutely solid top notch American who did something extraordinary. He is a quentessential example of a man having greatness thrust upon them through their own actions.

Personally, I wish more biopics would be made of men like Neil Armstrong because then we would actually have examples of adults that people should want to emulate. He didn't desire fame or fortune, he did his duty and then went back to his life. Gosling is an excellent choice for Armstrong.
ja86
AG
Vander said:

ja86 said:

I don't see why a person has to be a degenerate to have a biopic made out of their life. Neil Armstrong was an absolutely solid top notch American who did something extraordinary. He is a quentessential example of a man having greatness thrust upon them through their own actions.

Personally, I wish more biopics would be made of men like Neil Armstrong because then we would actually have examples of adults that people should want to emulate. He didn't desire fame or fortune, he did his duty and then went back to his life. Gosling is an excellent choice for Armstrong.
Please don't take my comment the wrong way. He was a great guy, great family man, hard working, extremely smart, great pilot. There was a reason why he was picked to be the first guy on the moon. Like you mentioned, he made it very well known that he wanted to stay under the radar, did not want any fanfare, and tried to keep his public profile as low as possible. maybe that will be the hook. I am just curious what angle the filmmaker will take.
Vander
AG
ja86 said:

Vander said:

ja86 said:

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. He was a great guy, great family man, hard working, extremely smart, great pilot. There was a reason why he was picked to be the first guy on the moon. Like you mentioned, he made it very well known that he wanted to stay under the radar, did not want any fanfare, and tried to keep his public profile as low as possible. maybe that will be the hook. I am just curious what angle the filmmaker will take.

I hope that is the hook as well. Make him out to be the quentessential American man who cared about his country and his family. Do that and don't put any unneeded drama and I am in. The drama from his family worrying about him being able to make it to the Moon without dying should be enough suspense for the movie.
Quad Dog
AG
I agree that Armstrong is an amazing American, but he is a boring subject for a movie. There are so many more interesting Astronauts from that era to have a biopic of: Gus Grissom, Buzz Aldrin, Deke Slayton; Jim Lovell, Alan Shepard; John Glenn. A good movie needs to have highs and lows, successes, failures, and redemption. The latter list has a lot more of that.

Maybe they can make it work by making Armstrong the audience surrogate for all the crazy tests, simulations, accidents, near deaths, and personalities involved in that time. Show him cooly handling the first space-craft emergency in Gemini 8. Nearly dying in the LLRV a year before Apollo 11. Have him be the straight man to Pete Conrad's jokes and pranks; be the studious contrast to a brilliant but hard to handle Aldrin; the calming influence on the cranky Chief Astronaut Shepard.
TCTTS
AG
I need this movie ASAP...

Quote:

"Damien had a very clear vision from the outset. He said, 'Can we get across how challenging this was? Can we get across the visceral nature of this?' The space program has been depicted, tonally, on the softer side in the past," Singer said.

"Damien said, 'I want to be terrified the entire time.' It's one of the earliest things we talked about. Neil's heroism isn't because he landed on the moon, it's because he had the wherewithal to live through it all."

"This is 100 percent a mission movie. It's about going to the moon as seen through the eyes of the guy who got there," added Singer. "We have at least five major set pieces that are action, and if your heart rate doesn't go through the roof, if you're not gripping the edge of your seat the entire times, I'll be shocked."

TCTTS
AG
Apparently the first trailer is playing in theaters with Truth or Dare this weekend. If so, surely it'll be online soon.

Anyone happen to see it?
TajMaballer
AG
TCTTS said:

Apparently the first trailer is playing in theaters with Truth or Dare this weekend. If so, surely it'll be online soon.

Anyone happen to see it?

I guess I went to the wrong screening of Truth or Dare. No sight of it on my end.
TCTTS
AG
I've seen two mentions on Twitter of people seeing the trailer with ToD this weekend (both movies are from Universal). One from a reputable film guy I follow, the other a random person after I searched. Though, nothing official and no other mention anywhere, which is strange.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, could be, re: just NY/LA. The guy who first reported seeing it saw it in Brooklyn. But yeah, I'd say something like this happens maybe four or five times a year, where a random trailer plays in theaters first but isn't online for days/weeks later. I can't figure out the strategy, though, as it's not always for a big movie.

Either way, if this is true, a trailer like this won't stay offline for long.
TajMaballer
AG
I remember a couple years ago, I was seeing 13 Hours in Chicago. They started playing what turned out to be the 10 Cloverfield Lane trailer. Still remember being blown away because I had no idea and the release date was a month away.

Funny enough, Chazelle has a screenplay credit on that movie too.
TCTTS
AG
That's a perfect example. It made sense with that one, though, because the Cloverfield movies have a history of surprise trailers out of no where that debut in theaters first.

But here, even though it's the same studio, attaching the trailer for a big, prestige movie like First Man exclusively to something as random as Truth or Dare - and not releasing that trailer online first - seems so out of left field.
TCTTS
AG
A beautifully shot, 1960s-set NASA drama/thriller, with hints of Malick AND Interstellar? Really hoping this trailer releases publicly/online in the next 24 hours or so with Infinity War. Otherwise, I don't know how much longer I can wait...

TCTTS
AG
And here's our first, grainy look at the key art...

double aught
AG
I'm pretty excited about this.

At the same time, it's a little depressing to think that the pinnacle of space exploration was 50 years ago.
schmendeler
AG
Love the comparisons to interstellar
Sex Panther
AG
schmendeler said:

Lieutenant Armstrong, how do you suggest we handle the thrust issues we're encountering once we exit the thermosphere?

That's easy... we'll use love
schmendeler
AG
Sex Panther said:

schmendeler said:

Lieutenant Armstrong, how do you suggest we handle the thrust issues we're encountering once we exit the thermosphere?

That's easy... we'll use love

Come on, TARS!
TCTTS
AG
Alright, as of today, Universal has finally posted the official social accounts for the movie, which means that marketing is about to kick off and that the first trailer is likely imminent...

https://twitter.com/FirstManMovie
https://www.facebook.com/FirstManMovie/
https://www.facebook.com/FirstManMovie/

I could see Universal releasing it online as early as Wednesday or Thursday of this week, for release in theaters with Solo this weekend, or at the absolute latest with Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on June 22 (the next big Universal movie). Or... anytime in between.

Fingers crossed for this week, though.
double aught
TCTTS
AG
If we don't see a trailer tomorrow (Thursday), I'm afraid it won't be until the week of June 22nd with JP2. Looking at the schedule, there just doesn't seem to be any appropriate titles to attach it to between now and then, but who knows.

Either way, this is one of the strangest trailer releases in a while. It reportedly played in theaters weeks ago with a super obscure Universal horror movie, but then never made it online. Only for Universal to then officially debut the trailer at CinemaCon a couple weeks later... and then not release that footage either. So weird.
TCTTS
AG
Alright, here's the latest...

Unfortunately, at this point, we're likely not getting a trailer today.

I also just learned that both Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and First Man are not only Universal productions, but both Amblin productions well. So that pretty much seals the deal that the trailer is debuting theatrically with JP2 on June 22.

That said, it was just announced that Gosling is going to be on Kimmel at some point during Kimmel's run of live shows following each the NBA Finals games. An exact date wasn't given, but Gosling has no other project to promote, so this appearance is almost assuredly to debut the trailer. The Finals run Thursday, May 31 through Sunday, June 17. But that's if it goes seven, so I'd put Gosling's appearance somewhere on or before Friday, June 8 (Game 4) or so. Which likely means the trailer will debut on Kimmel, and thus online, on one of these days...

- Game 1 - Thursday, May 31
- Game 2 - Sunday, June 3
- Game 3 - Wednesday, June 6
- Game 4 - Friday, June 8
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, it's looking more and more like the trailer will be dropping at some point in the next seven days or so...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.