Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,138,240 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
benchmark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TrueAggie42 said:

Here's something I've been wondering. How did Sam know to send a raven for Jon to Winterfell? As far as we know, Sam doesn't know that Jon was killed, brought back to life, left the Nights Watch, and became king in the north. He still thinks Jon is the Lord Commander.
He has received ravens keeping him abreast of Jon's situation. We just haven't seen them. IMO
PascalsWager
AG
I question the motivation to join the Lannisters if that's all the "warden" is. At the very least Randyl should ask for the Lord paramouncy.

Let's say you're the king of america. I'm the count of Fort worth (a banner man of Duke of texas). Duke of Texas rebels against you. What will motivate me to join your side? A generalship dependent entirely on the legitimacy of my crown, a castle (the castle of austin), or the duchy of texas. Sure another bigger castle is nice. But I'd rather have a duchy (a step up on the feudal hierarchy) that I can rule from a castle I already have; I can be the Duke of Texas from the castle of amarillo.

I don't understand Randyl's motivation at all from what is offered. To be fair he does hate wildlings and I guess he sees dothraki as wildlings.
PascalsWager
AG
My previous post was in response to this. Thanks for the info!
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea, don't get too hung up on the titles. It's pretty clear his political affiliations are motivated by 2 things:
1) Fear of the unknown, vs the known
2) Sense of loyalty to the crown
dc509
AG
The reaction if Dany kills John would be epic.
Tripacer
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

Arya:
**** YEA! GO HOME GIRL!

I'm so hyped to see a Stark family reunion, I don't care how implausible it was to see that Arya didn't know who the ruler of Winterfell was. Although, I did groan in exasperation when Jon announced he was leaving for Dragonstone...undoubtedly stalling a Jon and Arya get together.

Nymeria was a good call back. Not sure if that was the show officially saying goodbye to the Direwolf or setting up a more impactful plot point in the future. You know, as like a reminder to the audience "yea, this mofo is still out here and it is huge. Just keep that in mind."

Btw, anyone else notice her hairstyle? She wears it exactly like Ned used to. Arya is definitely finding her roots.
I'm not so sure Arya goes home now. I think it's possible the meeting with Nymeria, Nymeria rejecting her invitation to go home and her saying "That's not you" is symbolic of Arya's identity struggle. "That's not you" could be a reference to herself; she is like the wolf and does not want to go home, she will go be like the wolf and do her own thing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her heading south again in the next episode. The bad thing is that if she doesn't go to Winterfell, she may not be able to tell Sansa of Littlefinger's role in their father's death (if she knows, I can't remember), and Littlefinger gets to carry on.

That's the way I saw it. I think she just realized that she needs to continue her mission to kill Cersei. Skimming the posts on here, it seems most think that she is returning to Winterfell though.
JJxvi
AG
PascalsWager said:

My previous post was in response to this. Thanks for the info!

I think the show kind of is equivocating the two which i agree is dumb to even have the titles in that case so i sort of agree from a show perspective. Its different and makes more sense in the books, imo.
smokeythebear
AG
The scene with her getting on her horse and leaving clearly had someone saying "we're going this way to King's Landing" and Arya turned around and went the other way. I think it was pretty intentional to show she was struggling with the decision and chose to go to Winterfell instead.
MW03
AG
Are there ANY potential suitors for Dany besides Jon Snow not that Euron has thrown in with Cersei? It's basically Jon with the North, and a bunch of chicks right? I guess maybe LF with the Vale, but even that is little lord fontleroy's army.

At some point, she's going to have to be like "Welp, Jon Snow it is"
smokeythebear
AG
JJxvi said:

It happens repeatedly before the big battles to determine who is on what side throughout the series so far. Stark-Frey and Tully-Frey marriage is negotiated immediately before hostilities. Renly Baratheon-Tyrell Alliance occurs before hostilities. The Lannister-Tyrell alliance is negotiated immediately after Battle of the Blackwater to secure an alliance in the ongoing war. Tywin wants to marry off Cersei immediately. There is political intrigue among Lannisters and Tyrells over who will marry Sansa, etc etc etc. Diplomacy occurs almost exclusively through marriage repeatedly.

I'm not "excited about some marriage proposal," I'm just saying its really stupid that they left that out and it would be even dumber if this meeting and an alliance happens without it being even discussed. It makes me think they either really are going to spring that on an audience they hope will be unsuspecting, or they are just too lazy to think out realistic motivations for their characters.
Fine but those are allegiances between longstanding families with lots of kids to marry. The Lannisters and the Tyrells forming an "alliance". Now you've got 10-15 more noblemen on each side to support your alliance. But tell me what great families are Jon and Dani joining together? Jon still isn't a Stark and he only has one half-sister that has already been married off twice before. And Dani, likewise has already been married off before to someone who ended up murdering her only living relative, Visirius.

I guess it is pretty obvious that I am on the complete other end of the spectrum from you, but I personally think it would be insane for them to even bring up a marriage proposal right now. This isn't a situation where their parents are trying to barter them off to gain some strategic advantage for their houses. Dani made alliances with all the other groups without marrying any of them, I imagine she'll expect the same from Jon. And Jon is only, what, two years removed from vowing to never take a wife? Clearly he's fine moving on from the Night's Watch vows, but the point is that he is far removed from that side of diplomacy.

Take a look at all your examples, Robb-Frey: fail, Cersi-Laurel: fail, Joffrey-Margery: fail, Sansa-Joffrey/Tyrion: fail, Renly-Margery: fail, even Cersi-Robert was a failure. Just because the old people did it doesn't mean it was a good idea or that Dani and Jon (whom neither ever really grew up in that kind of society) would follow in their footsteps.

Edit: remember, ALL those arranged marriages were arranged by a parent. Even Robb's was arranged by Cat, I believe. Until he broke it and Edmure Tulley said he would take a Frey wife in his place. Other than that it was Ned, Tywin, and Olena setting their children up for their own purposes.
The Dog Lord
AG
I don't think a marriage makes sense initially (you can theoretically only play that card once if everything goes well, and she is in a very strong position currently on her own). If needed though, Jon does make some sense. No his "family" isn't large, but he brings the North and partially the Vale as well (they aren't loyal to LF).

As someone else mentioned, who else is there right now anyway? Another situation and suitor may present themselves, but she will either wait for a good opportunity or for one where she is desperate (as with Hizdar). It could be to mend fences after her conquest as well rather than to earn support from others (I believe a past King did this once Dorne was finally conquered).
bangobango
AG
I think Dany will end up having multiple husbands before it is all said and done.
Twice an Aggie
AG
Tossing this out there...what if Jon doesn't make it to the end and the kingslayer becomes king? Would be really weird to marry the man that killed your father, but when is GoT not really weird?
wangus12
AG
If Dany wins, I'm pretty sure the only Lannister that will be alive is Tyrion. All the others will face her wrath
AgMarauder04
AG
wangus12 said:

If Dany wins, I'm pretty sure the only Lannister that will be alive is Tyrion. All the others will face her wrath
She could kill the rest of the Lannisters and marry him. Tyrion would then be heir to the Lannister throne.
Goose
AG
If she remarries it'll be for love, not power.
wangus12
AG
There is no reason for her to marry him. Include the fact he killed her father and is Cersei's closest confident and its just wishful thinking
Urban Ag
AG
There is only 10 episodes left. I highly, highly doubt there will be any Dany/Jon wedding. Dany doesn't need any new alliance to accomplish her goals. At worst she could just deal with the North when she gets around to it, if at all. Not to mention her luck at marriage hasn't been stellar.

The WW will be bearing down on the seven kingdoms before or by the end of the season. There is no time left for unnecessary plot points. Just lots and lots of dead bodies piling up and hopefully some twists we don't see coming. But no Jon/Dany wedding. However high probability they will bang.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wangus12
AG
Yep. Not seeing a wedding, but they are bang the hell out each other
wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

M.C. Swag
AG
I think some of yall are getting lost in weeds. A Dany/Jon alliance doesn't have to be sealed with marriage. Its just 1 possibility. And even then, the show can hint at a future with them as husband/wife without actually portraying the nuptials.

Either way, it's not even worthy of debate. The underlying point is that Jon and Dany will be allies in a war against the WW. Love, friendship, etc...that's all tertiary to the alliance.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Love, friendship, etc...that's all tertiary to the alliance.
It needs to be primary. If love is involved, then maybe we get one last nude scene of Dany
JCRiley09
AG
Rewatching now.

Varys asks why Malisandre insists that Jon is so important. She mentions the long night, but doesn't mention his resurrection nor that there is a giant zombie army led by ice people. She has to have a reason for this - I'm assuming she knows that Jon can be more persuasive than her as a red priestess
smokeythebear
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Rewatching now.

Varys asks why Malisandre insists that Jon is so important. She mentions the long night, but doesn't mention his resurrection nor that there is a giant zombie army led by ice people. She has to have a reason for this - I'm assuming she knows that Jon can be more persuasive than her as a red priestess
She's like Jon's trailer reel. Enough to get you to watch the full movie, but not enough to give away any of the big reveals.
JJxvi
AG
Well, I think the idea that Jon and Dany can be able to form a beneficial alliance just on a quick summit meeting is basically 2017-ification of the source material and even prior seasons of this show. Has there been a single alliance of equals in the whole series where two people in power were just helping each other out based on trust? I guess Jon could just naively walk around blind on hope she could help him with the dragons, but Dany surely wouldnt have any reason to trust Jon Snow would do whatever he plans to tell her he is going to do without any kind of guarantee.
Bazooka Joe
AG
What if Dany decides to take care of the WW first after meeting Jon in order for all the people to get behind her as a savior?

Also, a meeting of Sansa and Cersi with each accompanied by their personal protectors would be epic...being hound vs mountain.

Just anticipating the Hound bumping into a lady Brienne after he's turned his life to good would be great too.

The possibilities...
M.C. Swag
AG
JJxvi said:

Well, I think the idea that Jon and Dany can be able to form a beneficial alliance just on a quick summit meeting is basically 2017-ification of the source material and even prior seasons of this show. Has there been a single alliance of equals in the whole series where two people in power were just helping each other out based on trust? I guess Jon could just naively walk around blind on hope she could help him with the dragons, but Dany surely wouldnt have any reason to trust Jon Snow would do whatever he plans to tell her he is going to do without any kind of guarantee.
It's not JUST a 'quick summit' though. Jon has a long standing reputation and an established relationship with Tyrion. His character and reputation precedes him. Beyond that he is useful to Dany (and obviously unbeknownst to both of them, her nephew). All of these things lead to a natural state of allegiance. Will Jon walk into the throne room at Dragonstone and immediately dap it out with Dany? Hell no, I'm positive it will be rife with tension and doubt. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Dany slighted Jon somehow. But ultimately, I do think their mutual hate of Cersie + Jon's need of Dany's resources to combat the WW will forge the foundation of that alliance. Trust will come later. Jon said it himself...he needs Dany.

Edit to add: As to your other point about 2 people in power working together...Jon is literally the only king who holds no ambition of power. He joined the black watch voluntarily. He's a protector at his core. And if that weren't enough evidence, he outright proclaimed it himself. There's no doubt in my mind that Jon would bend the knee to ensure his people's protection (provided it was to a worthy ruler, which I believe is his Aunt).
Robert C. Christian
AG
Goose said:

If she remarries it'll be for love, not power.
Wasn't that the whole point of leaving Daario Naharis back in Mereen? That way she could marry someone for power and conquer Westeros.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
smokeythebear said:

JCRiley09 said:

Rewatching now.

She's like Jon's trailer reel. Enough to get you to watch the full movie, but not enough to give away any of the big reveals.

Like his long and hard... sword made out of Valyrian steel.
TV Casualty
AG
LHIOB said:

Its going to be awesome when Randall Tarly chooses Highgarden and then ends up in a in the War Room with Sam who will out rank him.

I'm missing something here. How will Randall Tarely choosing to remain loyal to Highgarden lead to Sam out ranking him?

Sam is studying to become a meister and wouldn't seem to factor in Dani's alliance to take Kings Landing.
bushytailed
AG
Given Dany's inability to have children (heirs), what would be the benefit of her marrying Jon? Wouldn't the Targaryen bloodline end?
Al Bula
AG
It really bothers me that Tarly has not laid siege to the Citadel in order to reclaim the Valyrian sword.
scubasteve304
AG
Maybe Dany-Jon meet/marry/bang thus becoming King and Queen of the alliance that includes the Tyrells with Sam being the King's maester and most trusted advisor and therefore outranking papa tarley?
TV Casualty said:

LHIOB said:

Its going to be awesome when Randall Tarly chooses Highgarden and then ends up in a in the War Room with Sam who will out rank him.

I'm missing something here. How will Randall Tarely choosing to remain loyal to Highgarden lead to Sam out ranking him?

Sam is studying to become a meister and wouldn't seem to factor in Dani's alliance to take Kings Landing.
benchmark
AG
Many of you seem to be forgetting Deanerys is Jon's aunt (if what we have seen in the Tower of Joy is correct). They won't be hooking up except as possible allies.
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.