Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,138,836 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wizard said:

Is it possible that Nymeria didn't recognize Arya?

A lot of time has passed and although Arya is Arya again she spent so much time training to be "no one".
I think the whole "That's not you" was Arya acknowledging that Nymeria was a wild wolf and she was not going to be Arya's pet.

At the same time, I wonder if the dual meaning is Arya realizing that she is not a "wild" wolf and she is going to return home to her family. I think Arya's arc is going from this willful child who wanted nothing more than to be done with her family and Winterfell, to somebody who now respects and appreciates the bonds of family and a place you can call home. That is not to say I think Arya will put on a dress and be all prim and proper, but I do think she is going to go and help Sansa and Jon as much as she can, in her own unique way.

So, the "that's not you" was acknowledging that Winterfell and being her pet were not Nymeria's place in the world, but also acknowledging that going it her own way and checking off her list and ignoring her family is not Arya's place in the world, either. (or I guess it could be the opposite, as somebody else said, and Arya is going to start heading south again. I can see that reading on it, as well).
M.C. Swag
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Still think it was strange we didn't get one single scene with Bran. Just chilling at Castle Black? Getting his strength back from being out in the cold?
Why is that strange? That has been the show's way since the beginning. There will rarely be episodes featuring every character. I guarantee Bran will be a central figure in future weeks.

Also, keep in mind that the location sequences are not linear. Just because we last saw Bran knocking at Castle Black in Episode 1, doesn't mean his been sitting there while Yara's ship was attacked and Jon makes his way to Dragonstone. It's entirely likely that the next time we see Bran, we'll know what he's been up to.
boy09
AG
bangobango said:

I think the whole "That's not you" was Arya acknowledging that Nymeria was a wild wolf and she was not going to be Arya's pet.
It was a callback to season 1, Ned was sitting down with Arya and he's telling her that someday she would grow up to be a lady and wear pretty dresses and marry a prince, and she tell's Ned "That's not me". Shortly after Ned arranged the dancing lessons with Syrio Forel.

Nymeria shouldn't go back with Arya and be a domesticated dog. She has made her own way in the wild with a pack of other wolves.

Does no one else watch the commentary after the episode on HBO Go?
astros4545
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Euron killed two Sand Snakes, oh what a glorious daaayaay.

Dying
G Martin 87
AG
That's a great summary.
G Martin 87
AG
I watched it, too. Nothing in bango's interpretation conflicts with the commentary. It compliments it.
CFTXAG10
AG
M.C. Swag said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Still think it was strange we didn't get one single scene with Bran. Just chilling at Castle Black? Getting his strength back from being out in the cold?
Why is that strange? That has been the show's way since the beginning. There will rarely be episodes featuring every character. I guarantee Bran will be a central figure in future weeks.

Also, keep in mind that the location sequences are not linear. Just because we last saw Bran knocking at Castle Black in Episode 1, doesn't mean his been sitting there while Yara's ship was attacked and Jon makes his way to Dragonstone. It's entirely likely that the next time we see Bran, we'll know what he's been up to.
You are right, I think it is more of the fan in me wanting to see more of his journey especially with the knowledge he has.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

At the same time, I wonder if the dual meaning is Arya realizing that she is not a "wild" wolf and she is going to return home to her family. I think Arya's arc is going from this willful child who wanted nothing more than to be done with her family and Winterfell, to somebody who now respects and appreciates the bonds of family and a place you can call home. That is not to say I think Arya will put on a dress and be all prim and proper, but I do think she is going to go and help Sansa and Jon as much as she can, in her own unique way.
Genius. If only someone had said that before on this thread...
M.C. Swag
AG
Thinking some more about Jon and Dany's impending introdution...I wonder how Dany will discover Jon as her kin? This obviously won't happen for some time but it does make me wonder. I was just thinking about all the cool possibilities for Jon to somehow inadvertently prove his Dragon blood. Taming one of her dragons? withstanding a fire and walking out unharmed? Something like that. Makes me giddy to think about. Jon and Dany realizing their full potential together.
Wizard
Thanks. I'm not one to get hung up on those types of things and I appreciate the clarification.
boy09
AG
G Martin 87 said:

I watched it, too. Nothing in bango's interpretation conflicts with the commentary. It compliments it.
Fair enough. You're right.
hunter2012
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Good write-up!

Quote:

Dany

Seems clearer and clearer to me that Dany is tilting towards Mad King personality disorder. What purpose did the dressing down of Varys in front of her council serve? Why wait until getting to Dragonstone to openly threaten him? Tyrion's expressions lead me to believe he is getting more and more worried about her. And Lady Olena is probably the spark that will push her to go scorched Earth. Be the Dragon.
My take on Vary's/Dany's convo....I just took their interaction at face value. I, as a viewer, wondered the same thing about Varys. His motivations from Season 1 compared to this current season are confusing. I just thought the show runners felt it was necessary to reconcile those motivations to the rest of us. It also added a layer to Varys and the whole thing was very well done in general. Great script writing.

Olenna is a mystery to me as well. The obvious implication was that Dany should 'ignore' Tyrion's council? Following that advice would obviously lead to a conflict between Tyrion and Dany. Perhaps Tyrion's trust/friendship with Jon will be questioned? Tyrion knows Jon's character as a man and has told Dany as much...but will she believe him?

It dumbed it down for the viewer though. It's like Maester Pycelle playing up his decrepitness only for it to be revealled just for the viewer. One of the reasons why I love game of thrones is that it doesn't hand hold for the most part and treats it's viewers like actual adults.

With Varys he's consistently said that he serves the realm first and foremost. But prople are supposed to question what that means, the scene from last night removed much of the intrigue.
M.C. Swag
AG
Well I liked it...but maybe I'm dumb.
Independent George
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Thinking some more about Jon and Dany's impending introdution...I wonder how Dany will discover Jon as her kin? This obviously won't happen for some time but it does make me wonder. I was just thinking about all the cool possibilities for Jon to somehow inadvertently prove his Dragon blood. Taming one of her dragons? withstanding a fire and walking out unharmed? Something like that. Makes me giddy to think about. Jon and Dany realizing their full potential together.
Been waiting for this a long time. Jon always proves himself in the most clutch way possible, usually saving someone. (commander mormont, hardhome). Would be cool to see him just tame and hop on a dragon to save the day for Dany later on in the season.
Phrasing
AG
So that was Sam's dad that Jamie was trying to persuade into fighting with the Lannister's, right? I forget, what is his background and does he have a lot of bannermen?

What happened to Nymeria and when did we see her last?

I really enjoyed the episode. Agree that we will see Euron do some crazy **** to his prisoners, it's going to be lit next episode.

LHIOB
AG
She needed to make sure he could get all the people she needed in the same room. She also needed to make sure her house was in order.
Independent George
AG
That was indeed Sam's dad. He is supposed to be a bannerman to highgarden. It appears he holds some sway with the rest of those lords.

When Arya whipped Joffreys butt on the trident she had to send Nymeria away less she get killed by Cersi. (They killed Sansas wolf instead)
LHIOB
AG
clinker03 said:

So that was Sam's dad that Jamie was trying to persuade into fighting with the Lannister's, right? I forget, what is his background and does he have a lot of bannermen?

I really enjoyed the episode. Agree that we will see Euron do some crazy **** to his prisoners, it's going to be lit next episode.

The last time we saw Nymeria Area sent her off to avoid being killed after "attacking" Joff. That was episode 2 or 3 of Season 1.
Cromagnum
AG
Independent George said:

M.C. Swag said:

Been waiting for this a long time. Jon always proves himself in the most clutch way possible, usually saving someone. (commander mormont, hardhome). Would be cool to see him just tame and hop on a dragon to save the day for Dany later on in the season.

Dani will try to burn him, but he won't burn.
Sapper Redux
clinker03 said:

That was Randyll Tarley, Sam's dad. He's considered one of the best warriors in Westeros and is very respected. In the books he's on the Small Council following Tywin's death. Nymeria hasn't been seen since season 1. In the books Arya is able to warg into Nymeria at times.
Urban Ag
AG
I agree with your sentiment in that we here we are at the end, really, the end of this, and I don't think they have any other choice but to kind of dumb it down and finish it out. If you've read the books, you've invested about 5000 pages in this, a very complex, sometimes confusing, epic story with god knows how many characters, spanning nearly two decades of your life. And now, it's wrapping up and kind of feels cheapened maybe?

HBO is accomplishing in Season 6, 7, and 8 what Martin told the world would take him two 1500 page novels he has yet to produce and likely won't. I think book readers have developed Stockholm Syndrome.
LHIOB
AG
Jon badly burned his hand while fighting the wight. Of course that was before he "died" so maybe something is different.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Cromagnum said:

Independent George said:

M.C. Swag said:

Dani will try to burn him, but he won't burn.

Jon had already been burned once, when fighting the wight. Just because one is Targaryen does not mean they won't burn. Dany is a special case
hunter2012
AG
Dr. Watson said:

clinker03 said:

That was Randyll Tarley, Sam's dad. He's considered one of the best warriors in Westeros and is very respected. In the books he's on the Small Council following Tywin's death. Nymeria hasn't been seen since season 1. In the books Arya is able to warg into Nymeria at times.

I'm not sure about warriors(can't remember from the books). But he is considered probably the best field commander left in Westeros at this point. He handed Robert his only loss during the rebellion.
M.C. Swag
AG
Right and I've heard all of that before but how many of you guys would actually be upset if the show overlooked that discrepancy? I mean, it was a single scene from the first season when Jon burned his hand. Personally I'd trade that discrepancy for the potential of that awesome reveal.
Urban Ag
AG
He's considered the best military man in Westeros, nothing ever mentioned about his actual fighting skills. His name never is mentioned with the likes of Jamie, Loras, the Mountain, Barristan, etc.
bangobango
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Right and I've heard all of that before but how many of you guys would actually be upset if the show overlooked that discrepancy? I mean, it was a single scene from the first season when Jon burned his hand. Personally I'd trade that discrepancy for the potential of that awesome reveal.
Yeah, i would not care. Just have Melisandre or somebody say "you have to believe you are the dragon" or something like that before it happens.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Quote:

Seems clearer and clearer to me that Dany is tilting towards Mad King personality disorder. What purpose did the dressing down of Varys in front of her council serve? Why wait until getting to Dragonstone to openly threaten him? Tyrion's expressions lead me to believe he is getting more and more worried about her.
I think Tyrion was legitimately worried about his friend's safety, because he never knew Varys' true motivations, just that he mostly seemed like he was on the side of good. Watching Dany's expression when she was quizzing him made it seem like she already knew the answer, she just wanted to get him to lay his cards on the table.
PapaKilo
AG
M.C. Swag said:

How about this? Jon doesn't bend knee to Dany, so Dany has a dragon breath some fire on Jon only for Jon to be unscathed.
tk for tu juan
How worried should Varys be when Dany finds out about Yara's fleet losing to Euron? She will probably think someone leaked their plans and he would be target #1
Quad Dog
AG
PapaKilo said:

M.C. Swag said:

How about this? Jon doesn't bend knee to Dany, so Dany has a dragon breath some fire on Jon only for Jon to be unscathed.
It would be really, really dumb for Dany to kill Jon. That would be a terrible move politically for her.
wangus12
AG
Champ Bailey said:

AggieSouth06 said:

Euron is a necessary character because the "bad guys" need a strongman. A henchman to do the dirty work. It's a trope, but an effective one. He won't last all that long but he's necessary to move the plot along.

I disagree. I think he is going to naturally fit into the Joffrey/Ramsay role that everyone cheers every week for his death. I bet we see him do f'ed up stuff to Ellaria, Yara, and the Sand Snake the next couple of episodes.
Maybe Bronn saves bad pooosay from being tortured
PapaKilo
AG
Quad Dog said:

PapaKilo said:

M.C. Swag said:

It would be really, really dumb for Dany to kill Jon. That would be a terrible move politically for her.
Be the dragon....
Ol Jock 99
AG
From the NPR recap:
Quote:

The fleet's attacked by Captain Jack Emo himself. Ol' Maybe It's Maybelline. Goth John Silver. Euron Greyjoy.
Sapper Redux
hunter2012 said:

Dr. Watson said:

clinker03 said:

I'm not sure about warriors(can't remember from the books). But he is considered probably the best field commander left in Westeros at this point. He handed Robert his only loss during the rebellion.

Yeah, better way of putting it. I always got the impression that he was a fantastic fighter as well, but I'm not sure that's ever said.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.