Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,146,915 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Line Ate Member
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie7911 said:

How did the rock guy end up in prison?

Not in prison. He has grayscale and looking for a cure
Duncan Idaho
aggie1906 said:

Sigue Ros, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Of Monsters & Men, and now Ed Sheeran have all had cameos.

Since I am old, I don't have to worry about these cameos, since I have no idea who these people are besides Coldplay
DannyDuberstein
AG
One giant returns from the dead and you think it's Wun Wun. Y'all racists probably think all black people and asians look alike too.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
then why show it through Bran's vision? you can just show it - no need to make it a vision if it is present time.

the only time I can recall Bran watching something thats present time - is when he vision walked through the army of the dead and the Night King touched him. That was obviously for that moment - it was important that we see Bran was touched. And the 3 eyed raven told him that changed the magic of their protection in his cave. the 3ER said they would know where they were now and come for them and they did of course.

cr0wbar
AG
*me looking into the the fire with the hound*

M.C. Swag
AG
Loved, loved, loved this episode. From the cold opening of Arya's revenge to the closing scene of Dany reclaiming her ancestral home...this was a phenomenal kickstart to season 7. We've seen more "epic" episodes but I can't remember any being so well crafted and tight. We saw the Wall, Oldtown, King's Landing, Dragonstone, Riverlands, and Winterfell. None of the location sets went to waste and each was compelling in their own way. I'll have to lookup the director of this episode because it was masterfully edited and directed. I hope to see more of this level of quality story telling.

• Sam playing the role of a first year frat boy getting hazed. The montage was brilliant, hilarious, and disgusting all at the same time.
  • Arya encroaching on a private Ed Sheeran concert and debating in her head whether she should kill these Lannister bannermen.
  • Mother effing Sandor Clegane dropping one-liners and prophecies The mod squad of the North I like to call them.
  • Tormund's overt flirting with the people's eyebrow. LOL that actor was born for that role and I love that the creators kept that storyline goin. It's just a ray of sunshine into an otherwise gloomy plot.
Those were just my favorite scenes of an excellent episode. My ONLY gripe is that my favorite character didn't get any dialogue time; Tyrion. But you can't have it all I guess! Btw, I don't recall if this has been the case for a while now, but this was the first time I noticed that Peter Dinklage got top billing during the title sequence. Apologies if this is old news, but still pumped for him. He's well deserving of it and is a terrific actor.

Concerns going forward:
  • I really really really don't want to see Sansa v Jon in some political feud. She has played the role of whiny victim almost the entirety of the show...I was hoping her character evolution didn't stop at whiny antagonist.
  • Arya going south? Wtf? She spent 4 seasons going North to find Sansa/Jon before being sidetracked into Assassin school. Now she wants to go back south? I get that she's a BAMF right now but I need more Stark family reunions in my life. Go home girl!!!
  • No boobs. Get your ish together HBO!!!
That's about it.

PS - I had no problem with Ed Sheeran. I did roll my eyes a bit at the close up 'new song' moment, but after my initial reaction, I found myself ok with it. It was harmless and gave my wife something to 'eek' about. (which I do plenty....usually during a boobs scene...which again were sorely lacking)
BowSowy
AG
M.C. Swag said:

• I really really really don't want to see Sansa v Jon in some political feud. She has played the role of whiny victim almost the entirety of the show...I was hoping her character evolution didn't stop at whiny antagonist.

I think (hope) this is setting up to turn Jon into a more political savvy ruler.
OnlyForNow
AG
It was cool watching his face change from skepticism/non-believer to all in on the fire God.
M.C. Swag
AG
Oh and the oldtown cadaver scene with Sam and the Arch Maester was great dialogue. At first the viewer (and sam) thought the AM would be an ally to sam's mission...and then slowly his story about being the realm's memory subtlety but cruelly turned to effectively call Sam's concern equivalent of a dog howling in the house after the master's leave. As he removed the heart of the cadaver, so too does he remove the heart from Sam (verbally). Just great parallelism, writing and again, terrific directing.
redline248
AG
Btron said:

TX_AG_10 said:

This was a good episode overall, but to me it just felt different. I can't really put a finger on it but it didn't seem like your usual episodes from the past. Is Season 7 the first time they are veering from the books, or was that last season? I think one of the strangest things to me was the poop cut scene. I can't recall having a light hearted/humorous scene like that in the past seasons. (I also don't have the best memory)

But maybe that's what they were aiming for.. Tone down the serious business that's been occurring for the past episodes and lighten it up a bit.

Looking forward to following this thread again this season..
I agree totally. It felt like to me they were playing to the audience, the pop culture front runner, and the twitter, internet, meme culture too. It seemed too campy, wink wink at the camera like you know the audience is watching and will pick up on this. It mostly happened with Tormund caught Brienne's eye. For a badass like him to turn to puppy dog love mush just doesn't fit.

Tormund has always been like that. Completely carefree and playful when not in battle mode. Think back to when Jon first was with the wildling crew to climb the wall.
FightinTexasAg15
AG

"The Valyrians were familiar with dragon glass long before they came to Westeros. They called it ---- which translates to "Frozen Fire" in Valyrian and castle texts tell of how their dragons would thaw the Stone with dragonflame until it became molten and malleable. The Valyrians then used it to build their strange monuments and buildings without seams and joints of our modern castles.

When Aegon the Conqueror forged his Seven Kingdoms, he and his descendants would often decorate their blades with dragonglass, feeling a kinship with the Stone. The royal fashion for dragonglass ornamentation soon spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms to those wealthy enough to afford it. Hilt and pommels were and are the most common for dragonglass is to brittle to make a useful crossguard. Indeed its very brittleness is what regulates it to the great houses and most successful merchants."
hunter2012
AG
For those wondering, here's whats left of Arya's list:

• Cersei Lannister
  • Gregor Clegane
  • Thoros of Myr.
  • Melisandre ("The Red Woman").
  • Beric Dondarrion.
  • Ser Ilyn Payne.

Based on her prediction Melisandre probably dies while Arya is in the south.

It's likely that Thoros and Beric are safe for now in the north while Arya pursues Cersei.
OnlyForNow
AG
Pretty sure you can mark off Payne. He hasn't been mentioned in forever
Sapper Redux
redline248 said:

Btron said:

TX_AG_10 said:

This was a good episode overall, but to me it just felt different. I can't really put a finger on it but it didn't seem like your usual episodes from the past. Is Season 7 the first time they are veering from the books, or was that last season? I think one of the strangest things to me was the poop cut scene. I can't recall having a light hearted/humorous scene like that in the past seasons. (I also don't have the best memory)

But maybe that's what they were aiming for.. Tone down the serious business that's been occurring for the past episodes and lighten it up a bit.

Looking forward to following this thread again this season..
I agree totally. It felt like to me they were playing to the audience, the pop culture front runner, and the twitter, internet, meme culture too. It seemed too campy, wink wink at the camera like you know the audience is watching and will pick up on this. It mostly happened with Tormund caught Brienne's eye. For a badass like him to turn to puppy dog love mush just doesn't fit.

Tormund has always been like that. Completely carefree and playful when not in battle mode. Think back to when Jon first was with the wildling crew to climb the wall.

Heck, in the book he's known as "Tormund, Husband to Bears," for a legend in which he impregnated a bear. The idea that he's just a stoic badass doesn't follow. He's always been a little goofy and crazy.
hunter2012
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Pretty sure you can mark off Payne. He hasn't been mentioned in forever

allegedly the actor that plays him had cancer during the middle seasons(3-6). But he's healthy again and they will hopefully bring him back to kill off the character for completionist sake...
gougler08
AG
GOT has always been great at pulling storylines back in to existence after not mentioning them at all for 3+ seasons.
hunter2012
AG
gougler08 said:

GOT has always been great at pulling storylines back in to existence after not mentioning them at all for 3+ seasons.

The hound dealing with the father and daughter is a great example...
Aggie Infantry
AG
All of those one-liners were gold!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Here's a question that I've always wondered. So a bunch of people think that one of the big secrets that Sam is going to learn in Oldtown is how to cure greyscale. What actual relevance to the overall plot will that make?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Here's a question that I've always wondered. So a bunch of people think that one of the big secrets that Sam is going to learn in Oldtown is how to cure greyscale. What actual relevance to the overall plot will that make?

Probably not much aside from finding a cure to a rare disease. The main point here would be curing Jorah so that he can return to Daenaerys and whatever plot that would bring about.
Joan Wilder
AG
Tormund's had eyes for Brienne from the start. I love it, and I love how unnerved and uncomfortable it makes Brienne.

Question: when bran touched the Night King, it allowed the dead to chase them into that sanctuary tree. If bran goes south of the wall, will it affect the magic of the wall and allow the white walkers to cross it?

The Binge Mode podcast with Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion on last season's finale went through the entire backstory of the events leading to the Tower of Joy scene, Lyanna Stark, etc. it's EXCELLENT. The big thing they discuss is "who else knows about jon's parentage?" I don't think it was an accident that Meera reminded us that she is Howland Reed's daughter in this week's episode, as he was one of the witnesses (along w the nurses) to Jon's birth.

M.C. Swag
AG
Realistically, none other than the specific Jorah problem.

More complicated...Valyrian steel is the most valuable commodity right? To fight the white walkers they need dragonglass or dragon steel. Welll...the last place in the world of Westeros to forge valyrian steel was the ancient city of Valyria, which unfortunately is inhabited by the outcast Stonemen. If Sam finds the cure, perhaps Dragonstone is not the only place with materials suitable to combat the WWs. That could be a fairly significant plot point.

Like I said, that's probably not going to happen. I don't see the 'cure' being a large part of the plot going forward either way. For all we know, Jorah could be cured by one of the red priests or he could die.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Tormund's overt flirting with the people's eyebrow. LOL that actor was born for that role and I love that the creators kept that storyline goin. It's just a ray of sunshine into an otherwise gloomy plot.

M.C. Swag
AG
That's the general consensus, yes. Bran may have inadvertently disarmed whatever magic was keeping the NK north of the wall.
Phrasing
AG
I haven't seen any discussion on what Little Finger is up to? I would think he has got something up his sleeve for sure. Is he trying to pit Sansa against Jon? Is his end game the iron throne for himself or via Sansa? Whatever it is, it has me nervous. He's not going away quietly for sure.
boogieman
AG
Maybe curing Jorah proves Sam's worth to the rest of the Citadel & Maesters.
Sapper Redux
I really hope not. Bran's not an idiot and he knows the Night King's mark is what let them inside the Weirwood.
easttexasaggie04
AG
What Littlefinger has up his sleeve is the biggest unknown for me right now.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah, I also don't know why Jorah wouldn't amputate his hand/lower arm when it was relatively small, but perhaps greyscale doesn't care?
M.C. Swag
AG
Well something has to change. That wall is coming down. The AM's convo with Sam was pretty foreboding. Bran just makes story sense.
Joan Wilder
AG
I don't think it was an accident littlefinger was talking about Lyanna Stark to Sansa and called Jon a "bast**d born in the south". I think he knows or suspects Jon's parentage. He's trying to pit Sansa against Jon to help his position if he can marry Sansa.(my theory)
3rdGen2015
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

What Littlefinger has up his sleeve is the biggest unknown for me right now.
It seemed to me that Sansa was implying that he wants to marry her
M.C. Swag
AG
In the books Greyscale is a virulent disease. There's no stopping it once it starts.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's told Sansa before that his vision is sitting on the Iron Throne with her next to him as his wife. I do think that is his end game.
Al Bula
AG
Something irking me... Sam has only been at The Citadel for a short time. I don't think he will make full maester before the White Walkers invade. There's never been any real timeline established in the show for becoming a maester, but it is generally accepted your maester's chain has to fully encircle your neck... meaning you would have to master the 6 or 7 basics (ravenry, ecomomics, history, warcraft, etc.) to become a maester.

Given the shortened seasons and Sam's discovery, I don't think he will be in Oldtown too long.
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.