Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,553 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's funny because a week ago we were *****ing and moaning about the scenes with Sansa and Aryia. How the writing was horrible and how their behaviors totally demolished their character development. I'm glad the writers made me look like a jackass.
titanmaster_race
To be fair, building the drama with bad writing is still bad writing
PatAg
AG
#1 said:

It's funny because a week ago we were *****ing and moaning about the scenes with Sansa and Aryia. How the writing was horrible and how their behaviors totally demolished their character development. I'm glad the writers made me look like a jackass.
I'm glad it didn't finish how we feared, but I still don't really think that whole arc was written/depicted very well.
Bunk Moreland
It was the payoff we wanted but they just skipped to that. No context or anything to allude that the sisters were ever on the same page. Came off as cheap writing to me to intentionally divert one way, then without any lead-in deliver a "lol jk" scene.

But I still loved it because I was ready for him to die.
TexasAggies06
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Two sons being named the same is odd, it'd take a moron or to think so.

George Foreman says hello.
knoxtom
Was anyone else really disappointed in the way the wall came down?

They built this thing up since season one and it was down in 1.5 minutes of screen time. On top of that, what the heck was the night king going to do if they didn't gift wrap a dragon to him last episode? Just seems like the writers just didn't have time to get to the goals they plotted for this season so they just went with the simplest solution.

I liked the episode but thought it was really lazy writing to have such a simple solution fall right into his hands with little to no work involved.

Awesome a dragon! I will kill it with a magic spear that never appeared in the show before, drag it out of the water with giant chains that are somehow available, raise the dead dragon and use his super-fire to melt the wall that has stood up to every challenge for 1000 years.

Thirty minutes and a 6 pack and I could have come up with a better plot to get past the wall.
marble rye
AG
titanmaster_race said:

To be fair, building the drama with bad writing is still bad writing

Which parts are bad writing, exactly? Just curious.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
The Debt said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Does anyone else find it odd that Rheagar's first son that Gregor Clegane murdered was also named Aegon?

Does anyone else find it odd that Jons name is aegon and so was the nights watch's maester?

A great-uncle with the same name...its almost like it's a family name.

The maester was named Aemon.

This Aegon thing is mind-numbingly stupid. First, the nerds had already read Lyanna's lips last season and decided his real name is Jaehaerys. It makes sense that Ned would call him Jon.

Second, why would Lyanna name him Aegon? She knows Rheagar already has a son with that name. Why the George Foreman treatment? It make more sense that they agreed on names before he left for the battle at the Trident. And, Jaehaerys makes a lot more sense than Aegon. Because at the time he alteady has a son with that name. Had Jon been a girl would they named it the same as his other daughter?

This is so easy. Why do they need to try to screw it up?
titanmaster_race
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the night king had another plan to get past the wall before the dragon fell into his lap. Maybe he had the Horn of Joramun or something.
Bunk Moreland
Yes. It was also like that dragon all the sudden got an invincibility cheat code once he was turned. At least during the Dany scenes with dragons they couldn't just breathe fire non stop, they had to fly away and sort of refresh before coming back.

This was just an ice dragon easily destroying the wall, which used to have some credibility..but within seconds the wall is crap. I know the idea was to set the stage for the final scene, but another of many cheap things in the ep imo.

But I don't want to say too much...because apparently no part of any episode of GoT has been awful. Don't wanna disturb the locals.
JCRiley09
AG
Maybe Raegar knew his son would be the prince who was promised and wanted that prince to be named Aegon. He obviously realized that his first wife and family wasn't going to cut it, so he had to try again with Leanna and write the song of ice and fire
Wizard
NK on a dragon. Based on episode 6, shouldn't he be at KL next S8E1?
titanmaster_race
Either Bran told Sansa what LF had done, or sansa knew he was full of it, had an unnecessary murderous conversation with arya and sent her bodyguard away

If sansa didn't know what was going on until bran told her what LF had done (and potentially what he was up to in Winterfell) then she trusted littlefinger even after he explicitly told her not to, still let him be her closest adviser, and let him talk her into sending brienne away and mistrusting arya.
bangobango
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Either Bran told Sansa what LF had done, or sansa knew he was full of it, had an unnecessary murderous conversation with arya and sent her bodyguard away

If sansa didn't know what was going on until bran told her what LF had done (and potentially what he was up to in Winterfell) then she trusted littlefinger even after he explicitly told her not to, still let him be her closest adviser, and let him talk her into sending brienne away and mistrusting arya.

I think you have to consider sansa and aryas conversations in the context of them posturing for littlefinger. Would have been better writing to show littlefinger eaves dropping on them, but i am just assuming that is what was going on. It is pretty lazy writing, though.
agchino
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I think Sansa played the game to lure him into being there at the trial. She went to him for advice on Arya on purpose to play into his desire to meddle. She went into Aryas room to either confirm she could trust Arya, with Littlefingers dagger being the secret handshake, or to keep up appearances in case little finger was watching.

Everyone says it was bad writing a have the feud between the sisters, but what if the feud was a ruse to bait Littlefinger into exposing himself?
agrams
AG
I agree chino, and I think the hints were there, but subtle (arya handing catspaw to sansa was one). I think most people who complain about it wanted to feel more on the inside and it be more blatantly obvious that arya and sansa were plotting to take out littlefinger. I doubt few people think had this story line been resolved 3-4 seasons ago that it would not have been more drawn out with more twists and turns than a simple 1 layer plot to catch littlefinger.
PatAg
AG
agchino said:

titanmaster_race said:

I think Sansa played the game to lure him into being there at the trial. She went to him for advice on Arya on purpose to play into his desire to meddle. She went into Aryas room to either confirm she could trust Arya, with Littlefingers dagger being the secret handshake, or to keep up appearances in case little finger was watching.

Everyone says it was bad writing a have the feud between the sisters, but what if the feud was a ruse to bait Littlefinger into exposing himself?
Generally you would have something in the scenes to tip the viewers off that it is a ruse.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LHIOB
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Douglas Odor disagrees
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Jon = Aegon V Targaryen

Jons baby = Aemon? Or Rhaegar?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
tremble said:

Well, somehow I made it through Harvey and still have power and cable. Let's do this!!

Me too; just finished
KidDoc
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the night king had another plan to get past the wall before the dragon fell into his lap. Maybe he had the Horn of Joramun or something.
We had this discussion a few pages ago on this crazy thread but in general most of the nerds think the NK has some 3ER ability to see the future/present/past and initially put Jon et al in a dire situation to bait Dany to bring a dragon so he could spike it. No other reason for him to be chilling (haha) out with ice spears for a day or more when they could just freeze the like and kill Jon and his buddies.

Yet another brilliant military decision by Aegon/Jon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
There were lots of double entendres in this episode.
redline248
AG
Were the name's of Rhaegar's children ever spoken on the tv show? If not, doesn't really matter that they called Jon "Aegon."

Obviously in the books it will be different.
Texags is garbage
Bran and Sam reminding the audience that Jon was ****ing his aunt for the finale.
Dro07
AG
I went back and watched some scenes where oberyn spoke about them but only mention them as the children not by name
combat wombat™
AG
By the way, was Rhaegar (wedding scene) played by the same actor who played Viseris? Looked like the same guy to me.
Icecream_Ag
S
txswag06 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

George Foreman says hello.
2 is odd 10 it's perfectly acceptable
Tripacer
Haven't read much of tonight's posts, so siap. My brother said they should have had LF demand a trial by combat. Then Sansa could have said, "fine. You can fight Arya." That would have been sweet.
Texags is garbage
Tripacer said:

Haven't read much of tonight's posts, so siap. My brother said they should have had LF demand a trial by combat. Then Sansa could have said, "fine. You can fight Arya." That would have been sweet.
Maybe somebody who knows the rules of Westeros better than me can chime in, but I don't believe LF would be eligible for 'Trial by Combat'. I remember a podcast from 'The Ringer' that stated the parameters of being able to request that. Maybe he could have requested it since he was married to Lysa Arryn.

I've reached my nerd quota. Would have loved to see Arya mess with him in a duel for sure.
PatAg
AG
another angry ag said:

Tripacer said:

Maybe somebody who knows the rules of Westeros better than me can chime in, but I don't believe LF would be eligible for 'Trial by Combat'. I remember a podcast from 'The Ringer' that stated the parameters of being able to request that. Maybe he could have requested it since he was married to Lysa Arryn.

I've reached my nerd quota. Would have loved to see Arya mess with him in a duel for sure.
I wouldn't look to the Ringer as a source for anything that isn't sports related. They cover a lot of other things, but they aren't good at it.
PatAg
AG
combat wombat said:

By the way, was Rhaegar (wedding scene) played by the same actor who played Viseris? Looked like the same guy to me.
I thought the exact same thing. I would almost rather they had just casted an actor that looked similar, as that would show nice attention to detail.
Wes97
AG
It wasn't the same guy. He was noticeably taller.
Dro07
AG
It was a guy named Wilf Scolding apparently
First Page Last Page
Page 193 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.