Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,501 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
TheVarian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with this... but you can't expect as much continuity and surprise since GRRM has been sidelined and with him being a lazy writer, it makes it tough for me to feel sorry for him
aggietony2010
AG
Why does the night king even exist? He was stabbed in the heart with a chunk of obsidian. Why didn't that kill him?

Why is Dany alive? She's been inside burning pyres or buildings twice?

Why is Jon alive? He got stabbed in the heart. Rickon got an arrow to the heart, and he's dead.

Why is the mountain alive? He's clearly got blood pooling in his face, that has to be fatal.
mazzag
AG
Cromagnum said:

Us Houstonians might be boned as we will have a storm stirring up trouble while this is supposed to air.

Might be just the right time to watch an early release if there is one.
nikator
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Why does the night king even exist? He was stabbed in the heart with a chunk of obsidian. Why didn't that kill him?

Why is Dany alive? She's been inside burning pyres or buildings twice?

Why is Jon alive? He got stabbed in the heart. Rickon got an arrow to the heart, and he's dead.

Why is the mountain alive? He's clearly got blood pooling in his face, that has to be fatal.
All of those are explained within the context of the principles of magic underlying the Game of Thrones universe (though in the books Dany is not magically immune to fire...it was a one off thing in the context of her using magic to hatch the dragons)

a lot of these items here are just dumb https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/23/16184306/game-of-thrones-season-7-white-walker-dragon-battle-dumb-no-sense

Any fantasy requires some suspension of disbelief because magic is involved. But in the good fantasy stories, even magic/necromancy operates under certain rules....and does not serve as license to do all sorts of stupid things and excuse it because it is fantasy.

Even the show runners have basically admitted they are focusing on the visual experience..which was gorgeous. But time and again when they go down their own rabbitholes their story crafting is weak.

Now some of this is Martin's fault for not finishing the books, but a couple of seasons ago the show consciously departed from the storylines in the books (eg Dorne with no Arianne Martell, no false Aegon, sending Sansa into the North, Yarra/Asha not heading to the North after losing the Kingsmoot, No Victarion Greyjoy). So at this point this is basically their storyline loosely fit into Martin's outline, and they deserve the blame when they come up with half assed plots.
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
KidDoc
AG
We haven't seen zombie mountain in a while and I have no clue on what his role well end up being. Anyone have uneducated guesses?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FL_Ag1998
AG
AtlAg05 said:

It's called drama, if all the characters made the best possible decisions, stories would be quite boring. Horror movies would have no one get killed , etc etc.

I enjoy these shows/stories because I can suspend logic and just get immersed in what is happening. I don't look for plot holes or political undertones. Sit back relax and enjoy it, or don't and never watch another minute.

There's a difference between a dumb decision by a character that might actually fit the character and serve to advance the plot in a beneficial way, and just plain completely illogical actions or enormous plot holes and time discontinuities being made over and over again due to simple-minded writers who are only interested in setting up cool action scenes.

This goes back to one of the eternal TA debates...arguing whether you're entitled to reasonable expectations in the plot and dialogue or if you should just ignore bad writing and enjoy the cool effects.
nikator
AG
KidDoc said:

We haven't seen zombie mountain in a while and I have no clue on what his role well end up being. Anyone have uneducated guesses?

With the Hound heading back south, there is some hope for Cleganebowl.

Since the Moutain is now a wight, the Hound may have to overcome his fear of fire to kill him.
---------------

- Old Turkish saying
Joseph Parrish
AG
I think the issues with the story are on David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. It would have been great if GRRM could have finished the books on time, but they still had these story lines approved pre-production. They had plenty of time to fix some of the issues. I hope they hear it loud and clear this season so they won't repeat some of the same mistakes next season.
MaroonStain
AG
TheVarian said:

Y'all, it is a fantasy show. I swear some of y'all get butt hurt about the most insignificant comments or little things in the show. Just enjoy it.
When you spend months & years reading a book series, then the show is made, crushes it for five seasons then goes "midnight to six" in three episodes...well, there is some disappointment.
bkag9824
AG
Ummm the Mountain is not a wight. He's a freak of natured saved by Qyburn.
TheVarian
AG
I definitely agree with that sentiment and those feelings. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up with the show. We all know the books are always better (I.e Jurassic Park, Angels and Demons, Enders Game, Etc.)
aggietony2010
AG
This was directed at the recent discussion of the ice javelin having magical abilities (though I didn't really do anything to indicate that).

Yeah, there was some stupid **** that happened in the last episode. That wasn't part of it.

I'm also in the camp that the walkers, or at least the night king, has Bran like abilities, and was setting a trap for a dragon. The fact that him and the night king were able to interact in the weirwood world indicates that the night king is like him and the old 3ER, as Bran was only able to interact with those who were observers of the visions.

I think the dragon is key to bringing down the wall. The book has the horn of joramun, which is said to be key to bringing down the wall. I think this may be the dragon binding horn, and that the real key to bringing down the wall is dragon magic. Instead in the show, we get the dragon trap, and critique of the velocity and penetrating power of an obviously magical weapon.
redline248
AG
My post about the spear taking out the dragon was made almost entirely in jest. Obviously, if they don't shatter when hit by steel swords (and in fact do the shattering) they are powerful magic items.

One of the videos posted here had a quote from the show maker that said the Night King realized the dragons showing up was an opportunity. Therefore, one can conclude it wasn't a trap set by him.
dcAg
Clegane Bowl. My guess is that the Hound is near death and Arya ends up finishing off Zombie Mountain thereby saving the Hound.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, i don't know if he's going to be breathing hot or cold, but if it's hot, this would be a natural assumption.
aggietony2010
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

yeah, i don't know if he's going to be breathing hot or cold, but if it's hot, this would be a natural assumption.

Careful now, making natural assumptions means you've read the Reddit spoilers.
SeattleAgJr
Joseph Parrish said:

I think the issues with the story are on David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. It would have been great if GRRM could have finished the books on time, but they still had these story lines approved pre-production. They had plenty of time to fix some of the issues. I hope they hear it loud and clear this season so they won't repeat some of the same mistakes next season.
scripts for season 8 were finished more than a month ago....
Joseph Parrish
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Joseph Parrish said:

scripts for season 8 were finished more than a month ago....
Scripts may be finished, but as long as filming hasn't happened they can make small changes. Probably not huge ones.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Using GoT universe physics. Beric didn't melt the ice because ice douses his sword. A couple times they show him stab snow/ice to put out his sword.

dcAg
I saw that but the sword "magic" is still undertermined. They could've used the Hammer as it was used for that during the battle.
Carl Underguard
AG
If the Night King has Bran-like abilities, then why not kill Drogon considering everyone sans Jon was on his back? Why did everyone just leave Jon when he was in the water? Why did he not see Benjen coming to save Jon? He knows how important Dany, Jon, and various of these other characters are. He knows what they've been through, right? Why let them live if he knows? These are the only people who are capable of defeating him, and he lets them get away why? I don't get it.
Carl Underguard
AG
I agree with you. I hope if we make enough vociferous complaints they will realize things need to improve.
redline248
AG
Carl Underguard said:

If the Night King has Bran-like abilities, then why not kill Drogon considering everyone sans Jon was on his back? Why did everyone just leave Jon when he was in the water? Why did he not see Benjen coming to save Jon? He knows how important Dany, Jon, and various of these other characters are. He knows what they've been through, right? Why let them live if he knows? These are the only people who are capable of defeating him, and he lets them get away why? I don't get it.
It honestly made no sense for him to go after a flying dragon first while Drogon was just sitting there. However, to your points, I think the NK must have something that allows him to be aware of when Bran or the previous 3ER was spying, but I don't think he has the same kind of ability to "see." Otherwise, seems like he would have found the old 3ER a lot sooner.

Or, you know, known Jon was coming on that stupid mission and actually set a trap to kill all of them before Gendry could run his race.
Carl Underguard
AG
That makes more sense. I said on the episode six spoilers thread that maybe he has Jojen-like green dreams.
IIIHorn
Not a single archer in the group?

What are they saving all that dragon glass for?
nikator
AG
---------------

- Old Turkish saying
MandoArms
redline248 said:

Carl Underguard said:

It honestly made no sense for him to go after a flying dragon first while Drogon was just sitting there. However, to your points, I think the NK must have something that allows him to be aware of when Bran or the previous 3ER was spying, but I don't think he has the same kind of ability to "see." Otherwise, seems like he would have found the old 3ER a lot sooner.

Or, you know, known Jon was coming on that stupid mission and actually set a trap to kill all of them before Gendry could run his race.
The only reason I can see for him going after Viserion is that he has always been noted as the runt of the three. He may have wanted to go for the sure kill so he would be guaranteed to take a dragon instead of just wounding and pissing off the biggest dragon.
smokeythebear
AG
redline248 said:

Carl Underguard said:

So in my humble opinion, the reason he went after the flying dragon was that he needed the dragon to fall into the water, extinguishing it's flame and drowning to ensure it was dead.

The other thought is that he took out the dragon that was actively killing his army. The one on the ground wasn't doing any immediate damage to his troops.

Do you shoot the getaway car? Or the one with a mounted machine gun mowing down your guys?
bkag9824
AG
Only hole in that theory is that Drogon was laying waste after he landed on the rock.
redline248
AG
Drogon was still lighting up zombies that were getting too close.

I also doubt the NK cares too much about losing a few hundred pawns
Urban Ag
AG
He didn't kill Drogon because, first, Drogon is the favorite and his image has been imposed around the world marketing GOT, and, second, because if he kills Drogon, Dany and Co are now sitting on a dead dragon and get immediately over-run by wights, thus ending the song of Ice and Fire in episode 6, season 7.

I'll be back later if y'all have any more questions.
redline248
AG
Urban Ag said:

He didn't kill Drogon because, first, Drogon is the favorite and his image has been imposed around the world marketing GOT, and, second, because if he kills Drogon, Dany and Co are now sitting on a dead dragon and get immediately over-run by wights, thus ending the song of Ice and Fire in episode 6, season 7.

I'll be back later if y'all have any more questions.

Prosperdick
AG
He was trying to impress scouts by hitting a moving target...anyone can hit a trash can. Man, football needs to get here soon.
The Debt
IIIHorn said:

Not a single archer in the group?

What are they saving all that dragon glass for?

Did you not notice jorahs short swords or the hounds axes or tormunds halberd?
TyHolden
AG
POTY
First Page Last Page
Page 182 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.