Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,558 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dc509 said:

wangus12 said:

I agree. But they have a set cast now with 7 episodes to go. You can't just kill everyone now, especially when the episodes are supposedly really long next season. I do think plenty of people will die before everything ends
I only think Tormund should have died. His storyline is basically done. I suppose he'll be apart of the war, but ok. His death would have added emotional impact that I thought that scene lacked.
Not quite.

AgLaw
AG
I was thinking through the current state of the great houses. The GoT series of events has absolutely decimated Westeros:

House Targaryen - Under control Mother of Dragons
House Stark - Under control of KingofdaNorf
House Greyjoy - Under the control of everyone's favorite Disney pirate villain
House Lannister - Unsee the control of everyone's favorite Disney evil queen
House Arryn - ruled by Sweet Robin, under the control of LF.
House Tully - essentially gone; current lord a prisoner of the Lannisters.
House Baratheon - gone
House Martell - gone
House Tyrell - gone
House Frey - gone (a great house only for a very short period of time).

This continent must be in absolute chaos.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
dc509 said:

Yeah, you're right. Only because there's so much time invested in this that I want to know how it ends. I read the books before there was a show, and those things took forever to get through. I would, however, be annoyed and write a strongly worded tweet at hbo and GRRM.

Not that I don't agree, but I'm so invested they could throw a soap opera twist and I wouldn't care, still going to watch. I do wish they could have spread this season out if only to help with timelines etc.
wangus12
AG
The TL;DR is up

https://imgur.com/a/W4LOw

RDV-1992
CFTXAG10 said:

dc509 said:

wangus12 said:

I agree. But they have a set cast now with 7 episodes to go. You can't just kill everyone now, especially when the episodes are supposedly really long next season. I do think plenty of people will die before everything ends
I only think Tormund should have died. His storyline is basically done. I suppose he'll be apart of the war, but ok. His death would have added emotional impact that I thought that scene lacked.
Not quite.

This. A thousand times this.
dc509
AG
Ha, yeah there is that.
SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

Worst episode of the series.
it was pretty piss poor.
HtownAg92
AG
As for the "Cersei teaming up with the NK", how exactly would that work? How does one "team up" with or even talk to a ancient, magical and evil being?

And this may have been answered before, but what exactly is the NK / WW end game? What do they want? Revenge on mankind? To watch the whole world burn / freeze? To kill them all?

So what would Cersei have to offer?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I want the series to end by the Children of the Forest shoving a shard of ice into Dany's chest and turning her into the on-fire Day Queen
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WALTON LOADS!
AG
Trident 88 said:

I thought they did a good job of making us sweat until Dany and the Dragons took the stage.

When Tormund was going down, I was shiiiting bricks.
Happy shiitting.
jenn96
AG
HtownAg92 said:

And this may have been answered before, but what exactly is the NK / WW end game? What do they want? Revenge on mankind? To watch the whole world burn / freeze? To kill them all?
Back in the old pre-show days on westeros.org, there was an intriguing fan theory about the WW - that they were back and attacking men because in centuries past the Wall was supposed to be the dividing line between the Realms of Men and the WW (Others) territory, and the humans had been encroaching for years. In essence, the WW were attacking not as aggressor but as defenders pushed beyond all reasonable limits. Like most fan theories it was ten times more complicated than necessary, but when I went looking for it recently to brush up on the specifics I found this much more succinct version on Reddit that brings up the highlights, specifically remarking that a massive, 100% good vs 100% evil struggle is just not in the DNA of this story. Sure, the myths that have been told about the past are always heroic, but the actual events are much more complicated.

Here is the link - no show spoilers at all, it's 3 years old and is 100% book based (so there are references to things like Robb being a warg). The only possible spoilers MAY be in the comments which I haven't read. But the theory is interesting.

Link to Reddit Theory (totally non-spoilery to the show) (can't speak for the comments, just the theory itself)

Now, I don't have any idea if the show is going in this direction at all, and the show portrays the WW in a MUCH more menacing and darker light. And I don't know at this point if there is even time to set up enough backstory between the WW and humans. But I've always found this to be a very intriguing theory and one that seems way more in line with GRRM's worldview and sensibilities than Jon and Dany ruling the Seven Kingdoms after banishing the WW and saving the day.

M.C. Swag
AG
That theory has been discussed on the thread and it's one I think would fit with GRRM real life views. He isn't one to resolve a conflict with war. That's the point.
Sex Panther
AG
The War of Southern Aggression
bangobango
AG
MW03 said:

Since WW dude walks through fire, can the dragon even hurt him? Seems like he must be invulnerable, or else that war ends in about 2 seconds when Drogon flies over. Then again, he freaking whizzed that thing. Regular freaking Staubach over there.
"You better "knot" mention that again, you **********...."
Max Power
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

dc509 said:

wangus12 said:

Not quite.

She has to look away because there's no way to look at him and keep a straight face, his smile is ridiculous.
wangus12
AG
If she made proper eye contact she'd be like..

Ogre09
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I want the series to end by the Children of the Forest shoving a shard of ice into Dany's chest and turning her into the on-fire Day Queen

Into her what???
RDV-1992
jenn96 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Back in the old pre-show days on westeros.org, there was an intriguing fan theory about the WW - that they were back and attacking men because in centuries past the Wall was supposed to be the dividing line between the Realms of Men and the WW (Others) territory, and the humans had been encroaching for years. In essence, the WW were attacking not as aggressor but as defenders pushed beyond all reasonable limits. Like most fan theories it was ten times more complicated than necessary, but when I went looking for it recently to brush up on the specifics I found this much more succinct version on Reddit that brings up the highlights, specifically remarking that a massive, 100% good vs 100% evil struggle is just not in the DNA of this story. Sure, the myths that have been told about the past are always heroic, but the actual events are much more complicated.

Here is the link - no show spoilers at all, it's 3 years old and is 100% book based (so there are references to things like Robb being a warg). The only possible spoilers MAY be in the comments which I haven't read. But the theory is interesting.

Link to Reddit Theory (totally non-spoilery to the show) (can't speak for the comments, just the theory itself)

Now, I don't have any idea if the show is going in this direction at all, and the show portrays the WW in a MUCH more menacing and darker light. And I don't know at this point if there is even time to set up enough backstory between the WW and humans. But I've always found this to be a very intriguing theory and one that seems way more in line with GRRM's worldview and sensibilities than Jon and Dany ruling the Seven Kingdoms after banishing the WW and saving the day.

Great post. Hadn't read that theory previously.
redline248
AG
Urban Ag
AG
M.C. Swag said:

That theory has been discussed on the thread and it's one I think would fit with GRRM real life views. He isn't one to resolve a conflict with war. That's the point.
I agree with this I just dont' think HBO has the writing horse power or enough episodes left to pull it off.

In the books there has been very little info about the WW and the only real major encounter was the Fist. By comparison, the series has made the WW out to be simply evil. No quarter. No explanation. Just kill and kill and reanimate and destroy. They did provide the backstory that the COTF created them but did so to create a weapon to destroy man, not knowing their weapon would be bent on destroying them all. Makes me believe that HBO is going to keep going down the path that the WW are less complex, more so a weapon that backfired on its creator, and here it is, back after being silent for thousands of years.
Dobre casy
AG
Craster teamed up with the NK or at least had a mutual agreement with them. Craster gave them his boys, and in return, the NK didn't murder them.

Would be curious to see the backstory on that and how it came to be.
bangobango
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

"Argh....I'm a bear"

"No, you're not...your name's Toby"

Lol

I think one thing this series has absolutely nailed is the dragon fire.

Best representation I have seen in a movie. Makes it look totally devastating, like it should be.
Urban Ag
AG
Helluva a question we will probably never get an answer to. How does a hermit wildling some how broker that deal with the WW's?

Considering he is (was) the only known living being to actually interact with the WW's it's pretty significant and at a min shows they are capable of communication/negotiate with humans.
jenn96
AG
Quote:

I agree with this I just dont' think HBO has the writing horse power or enough episodes left to pull it off.
Yes, that's what I think too. Sadly, at this point it doesn't matter what might happen in the books; they aren't going to be finished so they're a dead-end, story-wise. And I don't know that the show has any interest in exploring the complexity of the relationship with the WW, the CotK and why the WW are advancing (other than just being evil). Even if they do, there are what - 9 episodes left? 8?
Urban Ag
AG
jenn96 said:

Quote:

Yes, that's what I think too. Sadly, at this point it doesn't matter what might happen in the books; they aren't going to be finished so they're a dead-end, story-wise. And I don't know that the show has any interest in exploring the complexity of the relationship with the WW, the CotK and why the WW are advancing (other than just being evil). Even if they do, there are what - 9 episodes left? 8?
fewer
The Dog Lord
AG
dc509 said:

Carl Underguard said:

This article is fairly negative in tone (for those triggered by criticism of Game of Thrones), but it makes some good points. The last paragraph basically describes the situation on this board right now.
Quote:

I think overall, this will be one of the more polarizing episodes in Thrones history. Every viewer now is having to make a calculation about how much lax storytelling to forgive, considering the following: It's not the creators' fault that Martin hasn't finished his books; there are just seven episodes left; and the show will naturally accelerate as it nears the finish line. On one end of the spectrum will be those who are perfectly content, after years of painful reversals and twists, to root for the "good guys" to stay good, and to "win" in the end, whatever that means. On the other end will be those who will feel profoundly betrayed if Game of Thrones, in its final hours, rejects the "no one is safe" attitude typified by game-changing moments like the Red Wedding. I'll still give Season 7 until the finale to show me what kind of series this epic wants to be onscreenif "Beyond the Wall" is any indicator, I'll expect heated debate over the soul of Thrones until Season 8 returns (sigh) more than a year later.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-6-beyond-the-wall-roundtable/537363/
Don't get me wrong, I still think the show is awesome. I don't care about how fast people move from point A to point B. There's dragons and an army of dead people so I'm perfectly willing to assume dragons and raven can fly extremely fast in their world. The bolded part is what knocks it down a degree or two in my mind, and it's because it creates formulaic scenes. I also wish they would stop doing things like throwing John into a frozen lake wearing armor unless they're going to do something like show the lord of light saving him. There were plenty of ways to create the drama of him being left behind, and that is what they picked? Come on...
I agree with the criticisms of Martin, but it's not like there aren't capable writers for tv shows out in the world. As someone else pointed out, those of us in this thread have come up with several different options that could have led to some of the same outcomes but in a more believable, less cliche, more badass, etc. way. Even the fact that no one with oversight on the show thought to change the Baratheon sigil on King's Landing to a Lannister one shows how disconnected some of them are.

Then are the minor issues that are still ridiculous (Jamie and Bronn in the river, bringing Jon to the boat before removing his completely frozen clothes, etc.). A group of us at work have lunch together each Monday to discuss the show, and there was more complaining about this episode than any other I can remember. The kinds of things discussed in this thread have been brought up, but people were willing to look past the fast travelling and some of the minor issues until now. They're getting even more ridiculous as the season goes on.

I still enjoy a lot of the show, but many of the "quality" portions lately tend to be the conversations people have and the minor scenes (Olenna's final scene, Jon touching Drogon, Davos's fermented crab, etc.). Fewer of the "major" scenes are as good as the past with the exception of Drogon burning the Lannister army.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Craster teamed up with the NK or at least had a mutual agreement with them. Craster gave them his boys, and in return, the NK didn't murder them.

Would be curious to see the backstory on that and how it came to be.
Crastor is a descendent of the Great Stark Ice Lords of Old. Only his family line can be made into White Walkers. It doesn't work with every Crastor, but the stronger bloodlines can pull it off. That's why all the incest is so accepted and necessary. Gilly's son will actually head north of the Wall one day and learn of his destiny to revenge his family's defeat at the hands of Targaryeans, and the next cycle of the Song of Ice and Fire will start.

GRRM will hint at these details in a 300 page cookbook titled "Frozen Free Folk Fancy Foods"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jenn96
AG
Urban Ag said:

jenn96 said:

Quote:

fewer
Goldie Wilson
Urban Ag said:

Helluva a question we will probably never get an answer to. How does a hermit wildling some how broker that deal with the WW's?

Considering he is (was) the only known living being to actually interact with the WW's it's pretty significant and at a min shows they are capable of communication/negotiate with humans.
I wonder if Gilly could provide some insight there
The Dog Lord
AG
AgLaw said:

I was thinking through the current state of the great houses. The GoT series of events has absolutely decimated Westeros:

House Targaryen - Under control Mother of Dragons
  • Replacement: No one if Dany or Jon survives
House Stark - Under control of KingofdaNorf
  • Replacement: No one if Sansa or Arya survive (or in a way Jon)
House Greyjoy - Under the control of everyone's favorite Disney pirate villain
  • Replacement: another Iron Island family (the Greyjoys haven't always ruled their anyway)
House Lannister - Unsee the control of everyone's favorite Disney evil queen
  • Replacement: No one if Tyrion survives
House Arryn - ruled by Sweet Robin, under the control of LF.
  • Replacement: No one if Robert survives and manages to have kids. Sansa could potentially replace the Arryn family if the others want her to
House Tully - essentially gone; current lord a prisoner of the Lannisters.
  • Replacement: No one if Edmure's family is still alive
House Baratheon - gone
  • Replacement: No one if Gendry is legitimized by the surviving ruler. Brienne and Tormund's massive children could be a nice replacement though (Tarth is an island in the Stormlands, and Tormund has a similar personality to some of the Baratheons)
House Martell - gone
  • Replacement: this is harder to talk about in show terms since they have been ignored and cut out almost entirely from the beginning
House Tyrell - gone
  • Replacement: Perhaps Samwell Tarly could be released from service (especially if the WW are defeated for good) and made Lord of the Reach
House Frey - gone (a great house only for a very short period of time).
  • Replacement: Practically anyone would likely be better for Westeros

This continent must be in absolute chaos.
No doubt that there is going to be a real struggle to get back to some sort of normal, but depending on who survives there could be several that continue or are replaced naturally.
The Debt
No more lords in Danys wheelless world
The Debt
Effective fiction plays by the rules it establishes, right?

Well do you guys remember the cute redhead from s1 that was bathing viserys?

She said she wanted to be a dragon because it could flap it's wings and be 1000 miles away in no time. (Time paradox: closed)
The Dog Lord
AG
Dan 07 said:

Urban Ag said:

I wonder if Gilly could provide some insight there
Seems more likely to come from her at this point than say an omnipotent being related to one of the main protagonists. What is up with Bran only sending warnings to certain people? Seems like we've only seen/heard about him writing to Cersei and the Maesters to be like "an army of the dead is coming." Couldn't he share a few other specifics with people like Jon?
Sex Panther
AG
The Debt said:

Effective fiction plays by the rules it establishes, right?

Well do you guys remember the cute redhead from s1 that was bathing viserys?

She said she wanted to be a dragon because it could flap it's wings and be 1000 miles away in no time. (Time paradox: closed)

wangus12
AG
One thing I don't get is why Tyrion thinks breaking the wheel means democracy. I took it to mean Dany intends to reinstall the Targ dynasty that had ruled prior to Robert's rebellion. No other family would or should rule in her mind.
First Page Last Page
Page 176 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.