Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,143,533 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
trm94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Davos will save the day
chipotle
wangus12 said:

I don't think they just automatically turn like in TWD. The Night King has to raise them.

That makes sense I suppose I just thought that anything that dies past the wall goes all TWD which is why Jon says to stannis "you better burn these bichez". So the Night King reanimated the one that attacked Lord Mormont?
aggie93
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Ok, a major question I have after this video is...

Patchface...!?!

He is dead and reanimated? Wtf when was that discussed in the books?
Patchface "lived under the sea" after Robert's parents died in a shipwreck and emerged days later. He is "dead" but seems to be more like Benjen is "dead". They haven't explained any of the magic of how that happened or why he can make predictions either.
wangus12
AG
Those were rangers who went with Benjen north of wall and I believe Benjen says they were attacked by WW's. Benjen survived thanks to the CotF, but the rangers with him were probably turned into wights and planted near the Wall so they could be found and taken to Castle Black (a la Trojan Horse)
bobinator
AG
Yeah... the problem with the "the Night King has to raise them" bit is that would make the "attack" on Castle Black pretty stupid. If that was an intentional plan, it was a really bad one.

With absolutely no evidence to back this up, I've sort of been operating under the theory that if you're killed by a wight/ww, then you come back. Their weapons more or less "infect" you (for lack of a better term.)

That's just speculation though, like I said there's no real evidence to back that claim up.
OnlyForNow
AG
See wangus's post.
OnlyForNow
AG
Have to say I disagree with this.

All those skeletons and what not weren't killed by WW/wights; they were just dead.

That's one reason, to me, that it's taking the army a while to get down there. The NK is going around raising the dead all over the north, to strengthen the army. Anything that is still partially put together is being brought back.

Literally I see him as a "lich", he is undead, can raise the dead, and is magic.

Someone remind me of what kind of creatures we saw and the Fist and at Hardhome plus what ever seen up to this point in the books; if anyone can remember...

DON'T post about what we might see if it hasn't already been brought up in the show or book (looking at you script and spoiler readers!!)
bobinator
AG
No I agree that the Night King can do that, but I don't think that's the only way to become a wight. Like obviously he can reanimate corpses if he's nearby, but I don't think he has to physically raise every single one does he?
reddirtgigem
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If Dany were to fly up with her three dragons, it'd basically be game over for the WW in about 8 minutes, right?
Next episode will end in cliffhanger wondering what will happen to jon...

Last episode
Davos... on a boat saves Jon... with Dany.... Jon and Dany do the dirty on the boat... end of season with WW's breaching the wall because Bran was marked allowing the NK to get through/destory wall.

Call me a fortune teller
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I know it's a bit out there, but the Bran theory:

About him being the night king. It basically says that Bran TER'd back in time, to affect something, while back in time he warged some dude (though in the scene they never show the guy standing, just his waist up, so it could be future Bran (older) back in time and somehow physically there?). Anyways, TER-Bran is back in the past and gets stuck there and tied to a tree, and converted into the Night King by the children.
1. The more I think about it, the more I think it COULD be possible? And it would be a huge twist.
2. We don't know the motive of the Night King other than (supposedly) there was a truce or a pact - what if the motive is that he is all knowing TER-Bran, and he's been waiting for TER-Bran to be born, and that's what kicks off his drive to go south beyond the wall. Because NK-Bran wants to stop his own creation from ever happening. So all this time he's been amassing this Army to go south of the wall, so that he can kill young-Bran and break the time-loop, setting an alternate reality.

There are some other sub plots to this, if it turns out to be true - the stories from Old Nan about the heroes of the past are not actually stories about heroes of the past. They are stories about what's happening now, that go taken into the past, so that they are self-fulfilling. e.g. The PTWP, literally, is_was Jon Snow and always has only been Jon Snow. The same for the Last Hero - could be young-Bran with his band searching for the Three-Eyed Raven and Children of the Forest, and only he (and Meera Reed) survived?

Check out this clip. I went back to look at the creation of the Night King. He and Bran are in the exact same position. After the COTF shove the Dragonglass into his chest, and the newly minted Night King's eyes turn blue, the screen switches to young-Bran who says, "It was you. You made the white walkers..." to which Leaf says "We were at war. We were being slaughtered. Our sacred trees cut down. We needed to defend ourselves.". Bran says, "From whom?" Leaf replies, "From you ...... From men." (Literally from you? Bran?)

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Also, is it just me or is the face carved into that tree look just like the TER's face? (Max von Sydow)
oh no
AG
unless Gendry's hammer was made of the same material as Jon's sword:

Gendry would be swinging that hammer like this loser:
SpreadsheetAg
AG
dlance said:

Quote:

"And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Has not been uttered on the show.
I think Cersei loses the baby, falls back into Grief/Sorrow and it exacerbates her mental instability, so that she truly goes Mad like the Mad King, and then Jaime finally sees he has to put her down, like he did the Mad King - to save the realm.

Think about it, she's lost 3 children and her tears have not yet drowned her. Hell, she was downright calm and collected when Tommen gave up his life. Not a single tear. Having this new joy ripped from her, it will do her in.
cr0wbar
AG
Great episode, I won't add anything of value that other's haven't already. My 2 major quips/questions here:

1) Gendry: I appreciate the revival. But he's a damn good blacksmith. Why the hell is he going north of the wall to fight? lol

edit: I see that some of you have talked about forging Valerian steel. I figured that's why Davos would've wanted to bring him in, to mass produce/smith Valerian steel as quickly as possible.

2) Tyrell Gold: That stuff wasn't burnt by the dragon? How the hell did it get to KL's? The gold traveled separately from the war party? I thought that was gonna be a major turning point, as Cersei wouldn't be able to pay back the bank. Seems the check cleared anyway...
chase128
AG
cr0wbar said:

Great episode, I won't add anything of value that other's haven't already. My 2 major quips/questions here:

1) Gendry: I appreciate the revival. But he's a damn good blacksmith. Why the hell is he going north of the wall to fight? lol

edit: I see that some of you have talked about forging Valerian steel. I figured that's why Davos would've wanted to bring him in, to mass produce/smith Valerian steel as quickly as possible.

2) Tyrell Gold: That stuff wasn't burnt by the dragon? How the hell did it get to KL's? The gold traveled separately from the war party? I thought that was gonna be a major turning point, as Cersei wouldn't be able to pay back the bank. Seems the check cleared anyway...
It was stated in the show that the gold made it to King's Landing.
aggie7911
lol people still asking about the gold
redline248
AG
^
Here we go again
DannyDuberstein
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

- Fly dragon north of the wall.
- Have dragon grab a white walker or two with its talons.
- Carry it to King's Landing. Drop directly onto the red keep.
- profit
Exactly... and apparantly, she could fly her dragon up to the wall and back in a daytrip - per the time rules of this show lately.
redline248
AG
I think it's safe to say that since we saw the Night King raise all those dead at Hardhome, that means all the reanimated bodies have been raised by him. He didn't even break a sweat and everything in that whole place got back up.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

I think it's safe to say that since we saw the Night King raise all those dead at Hardhome, that means all the reanimated bodies have been raised by him. He didn't even break a sweat and everything in that whole place got back up.

I do not think that is a sound logical conclusion at all.
bobinator
AG
If that's true, that the NK has to raise every wight, then what was the point of having the ones go into Castle Black?

Hardly anyone actually believes the wights are real, and you're going to risk everyone realizing they're real just to put one of them on the other side of the wall in the hopes of...? What exactly?

And if that's true, and the reason it's taking them so damn long to get anywhere is that they're running around the north raising every dead body in site, why attack hardhome? Why not wait until you've raised every body you can, and then start attacking? By attacking hardhome you expose yourself again for what benefit?

None of that makes any sense to me.

redline248
AG
Why not?
redline248
AG
He sent it back to kill the commander. Maybe to stop them sending ranging parties out. I don't think he cared anymore about starting hidden, since the series stated with them blatantly killing everything they found, and the wildlings were forming into an army to get south and get away from them.

What possible reason do the walkers have for keeping hidden? They clearly think they are unstoppable right now.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

Why not?

"Since I saw Bob grill a steak, I have concluded that only Bob can grill steaks."
redline248
AG
bangobango said:

redline248 said:

Why not?

"Since I saw Bob grill a steak, I have concluded that only Bob can grill steaks."

Ok, then why did the show make a big theatric of him raising the whole place in 5 seconds?
bobinator
AG
I think Jason Concepcion's "ask the maester" this week sums up my feelings at the opening. The massive wheels of the plot are moving so quickly and crushing so many of the small details of this show that it makes me miss what this show used to be at times.

Again, still love it, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.
bobinator
AG
redline248 said:

What possible reason did the walkers have for keeping hidden? They clearly think they are unstoppable right now.
If they're unstoppable then why are they taking so long to do anything? Again, in show time it's been quite a while since Hardhome, and by GoT geography standards Eastwatch and Hardhome are right next to each other, and yet we haven't seen the army of the dead to anything.

It's the same thing I brought up a few pages ago, there are a lot of ways you could explain the actions of the army of the dead, but the show hasn't done any of them so their strategies and motivations don't make any sense.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

bangobango said:

redline248 said:

Why not?

Ok, then why did the show make a big theatricof him raising the whole place in 5 seconds?

Because it was dramatic AF. Really that simple. There is not even a Night King at this poiny in the books, but the show has included it mostly because it gives the audience a clearly defined bad guy to root against.

I personally do not think we will ever get a clearly defined explanation of how the dead are raised. I think there will be fuzzy rules so the writers can do it as the situation calls for it.
E
AG
cr0wbar said:

Wouldnt he be forgning dragonglass and not valyrian steel?
bangobango
AG
bobinator said:

redline248 said:

What possible reason did the walkers have for keeping hidden? They clearly think they are unstoppable right now.
If they're unstoppable then why are they taking so long to do anything? Again, in show time it's been quite a while since Hardhome, and by GoT geography standards Eastwatch and Hardhome are right next to each other, and yet we haven't seen the army of the dead to anything.

It's the same thing I brought up a few pages ago, there are a lot of ways you could explain the actions of the army of the dead, but the show hasn't done any of them so their strategies and motivations don't make any sense.

Well, going off the video that was linked a few pages ago, maybe they are waiting for the water to freeze?
cr0wbar
AG
Yes, I misspoke earlier. They're sitting on a mountain of Dragon Glass, he could be the best one to forge it.
redline248
AG
If you think you're unstoppable, you do whatever you want at your own pace. You don't worry about surprise attacks, or what the enemy is doing in preparation. It doesn't matter, bc you think you're unstoppable, no matter what. Why should they go faster?

At this point, all we have is what the show has given us. Therefore, I'm not going to concern myself with how Martin may explain the way wights are raised. He probably never will explain it, anyway. We've seen the NK raise dead, none of the other walkers. Unless we count the opening scene of the series (which doesn't show who raised what). Maybe the other walkers can do it, too, but it's not like a dead body just gets up bc it's north of the wall. Based on the levels of decomposition, some of those bodies were dead a long time before being raised.
bobinator
AG
Then why attack Hardhome in force? If they'd have waited for the water to freeze to attack, they could have killed everyone there and increased their numbers even more instead of a lot of them escaping into the sea.
aggietony2010
AG
I don't think you really forge dragon glass. You mine it, chip it, and make primitive weapons out of it.
First Page Last Page
Page 152 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.