Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,477 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
smokeythebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

smokeythebear said:

I suppose you are right about the first point, but don't Jamie, Brienne, and Jon fight with theirs? I guess none of those are THEIR ancestral swords so they don't mind as much if they get lost in battle.
All three of those swords are much smaller than a greatsword like Ice or Heartsbane. There is a reason they were able to create 2 smaller swords when Ice was melted down and reforged. Longclaw is a ******* sword and is also smaller.

All 3 are much more practical for open combat
Fine, I get that and can understand. It still seems a little weird to me to use ultra-light ultra-rare valyrian steel to make a sword that you're just going to hang on the mantle. I suppose the Starks would often bring Ice around and use it for executions so maybe that makes sense. Certainly, it would be a lot harder to lug around a massive sword like that if it were made of just regular steel.

Not to get caught up on that though, I have another question. How much of a benefit was it to Brienne that she had Oath Keeper when fighting the Hound? Is it still fair to say she would have beat him had he also had a valyrian steel sword?

Edit: Also, the irony isn't lost on me.
redline248
AG
In regards to the Hound, I think a lot had to do with him already being injured. Brienne is really good, though. She held Jaime at a stalemate, albeit with him being out of shape due to captivity.

Had the Hound had a valyrian sword, I don't think it would have mattered.
WestAustinAg
AG
redline248 said:

Heartsbane, like Ice, is a great sword. It's probably impractical to fight with it unless you are the size of the mountain, as well as being too valuable to risk losing to a random soldier if you happen to be killed.
Yes I know all too well what it's like to have such a large and valuable sword...its has it's issues..
redline248
AG
proc
AG
WestAustinAg said:

redline248 said:

Heartsbane, like Ice, is a great sword. It's probably impractical to fight with it unless you are the size of the mountain, as well as being too valuable to risk losing to a random soldier if you happen to be killed.
Yes I know all too well what it's like to have such a large and valuable sword...its has it's issues..
It's not the size of the sword that matters, it's how well you parry.
Farmer1906
AG
powerbelly51 said:

smokeythebear said:

I suppose you are right about the first point, but don't Jamie, Brienne, and Jon fight with theirs? I guess none of those are THEIR ancestral swords so they don't mind as much if they get lost in battle.
Greatsword as in the size of the sword, not the prestige
Right.

Jon's is a ******* sword.

Jamie & Brienne's were made into two from one great sword.
MaroonStain
AG
I like the sword discussion. This is much better than the weekday filler pillow fights of the past.
smokeythebear
AG
While on the topic of swords and sword-fighting, why isn't Pod any better yet? I feel like he should be a lot better by now. Is he just not committing himself properly? Or do you think he needs a change in career?
SuperAg05
AG
smokeythebear said:

While on the topic of swords and sword-fighting, why isn't Pod any better yet? I feel like he should be a lot better by now. Is he just not committing himself properly? Or do you think he needs a change in career?
Pod's balance is thrown off my the third leg he's got hanging. Messes up his center of gravity.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some men are made to fight. Some men are made to f***. Pod is the latter.
G Martin 87
AG
smokeythebear said:

wangus12 said:

smokeythebear said:

All three of those swords are much smaller than a greatsword like Ice or Heartsbane. There is a reason they were able to create 2 smaller swords when Ice was melted down and reforged. Longclaw is a ******* sword and is also smaller.

All 3 are much more practical for open combat
Fine, I get that and can understand. It still seems a little weird to me to use ultra-light ultra-rare valyrian steel to make a sword that you're just going to hang on the mantle.
The Valyrian steel swords are family heirlooms. They're status symbols, antiques, centuries old, and forged so long ago that nobody even remembers why Valyrian steel is even a thing. A real world parallel would be the samurai sword collection of Dr. Compton, with one example from the 13th century fetching nearly half a million dollars at auction in 1992. http://most-expensive.com/katana You wouldn't pull one of these off the mantle to go fight in a war. (Unless you're going to fight the Others, which it appears was their original, forgotten purpose.)
OnlyForNow
AG
And Greatswords don't have to be wielding by people like the mountain.

Greatswords just typically require two hands to swing.
Hulla Baller
AG
As far as we know, he doesn't do that either.
TheVarian
AG
titanmaster_race
Valyrian steel has an interesting real world parallel (maybe even inspiration): Damascus Steel

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel
proc
AG

What if Dragonglass is the secret ingredient in Valerian steel? Get to work, Samwell.
jenn96
AG
proc said:

What if Dragonglass is the secret ingredient in Valerian steel? Get to work, Samwell.
and maybe Dragonfire too? Perhaps part of the tempering requires Dragons to be involved, melting it or something. Either way, it would be cool if Sam found it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
jenn96 said:

proc said:

and maybe Dragonfire too? Perhaps part of the tempering requires Dragons to be involved, melting it or something. Either way, it would be cool if Sam found it.
It's been long suspected... I think there is a hint of wizardy / sorcery involved as well though... the missing element.
TheVarian
AG
Probably midget spit
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TheVarian said:

Probably midget spit
This sounds really dirty.
HvilleAggie
AG
jenn96 said:

proc said:

Dragonfire could be an ingredient to producing Valyrian steel, but it isn't necessary to work with it
smokeythebear
AG
What's the timeline between losing the ability to create valyrian steel and losing the city of Valyria to the stone men? I fully expect to never see Essos again in the show, but I still hold out hope they tie together the cure for greyscale with some important discoveries in Valyria, even if only in the books (that will never be completed).
Tripacer
The maesters get a VSteel link for their chain if they pass advanced materials. The winterfell maester showed his to Bran in S1. Where does that steel come from?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will Jon ride a dragon before the end of the series? Vote below.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No
GoneGirl
AG
smokeythebear said:

What's the timeline between losing the ability to create valyrian steel and losing the city of Valyria to the stone men? I fully expect to never see Essos again in the show, but I still hold out hope they tie together the cure for greyscale with some important discoveries in Valyria, even if only in the books (that will never be completed).
Valyria was destroyed in "the Doom" approximately a century before Aegon's Conquest of Westeros, in 114 BC.

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Stone Men do not dwell in the ruins of Valyria - in fact it is said there is no living creature in the peninsula - but on "the Sorrows", a portion of the Rhoyne stretching from Dagger Lake to beyond the ruins of the Rhoynar city of Chroyane. It's only on TV that they live there - so not really any more detail than what you see.

Source:http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_men
Dro07
AG
looks like your friend just told you a spoiler rumor he read online that is circulating. It goes along with the Khal Drago being "poisoned" and dying
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Will Jon ride a dragon before the end of the series? Vote below.

No
Unless Dany counts.
Farmer1906
AG
Please edit your post.
powerbelly
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Please edit your post.
That has already been speculated on this thread.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Please edit your post.
Seriously. Given all of the spoiler info floating around due to the leaks/hacks, it would be appreciated if folks wouldn't post "my friend told me..." crap out here when it comes to potential storylines. Not just related to this specific item, but in general for the rest of the way.
OnlyForNow
AG
Do you want to know what really happens?

Cuz I'll PM it to you.
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Please edit your post.
There was at least 1 full page debating this, even going so far as to show that Drogo was wounded in the left shoulder/pec area whereas Drogon is in his right should/wing area
WestAustinAg
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Please edit your post.
That has already been speculated on this thread.
So what. if it's true it's because hackers released the rest of the season story lines.

That's what I was getting at....too many theories on here are likely the leaked info. So let's stop.
First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.