Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,146,888 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dcAg said:

There are roughly 17 items made of Valyrian steel noted through season 6. Seems like a lot to me for something that is so rare.
The only ones we have seen in the show are

• Ice (then reforged into widows wail and oathkeeper)
  • Longclaw (Jon's sword)
  • Heartsbane (The tarly sword)
  • The dagger

I believe that is all the ones we know about that people still have.

So you think that 5-6 of these Valyrian weapons in ALL of Westeros is a lot?
Bregxit
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

dcAg said:

There are roughly 17 items made of Valyrian steel noted through season 6. Seems like a lot to me for something that is so rare.
The only ones we have seen in the show are

• Ice (then reforged into widows wail and oathkeeper)
  • Longclaw (Jon's sword)
  • Heartsbane (The tarly sword)
  • The dagger

I believe that is all the ones we know about that people still have.

So you think that 5-6 of these Valyrian weapons in ALL of Westeros is a lot?
Hell even if there were 100 that would still be "rare" in the grand scheme of things. Figure there are 50-100k soldiers currently in all of Westeros who all have weapons...you are looking at 0.2% of all weapons being Valyrian.
MandoArms
You know what I want to talk about....the lack of Lady Lyanna Mormont this season.

When is she going to take the Iron Throne??
oh no
AG
and how many WWs do those 5-6 Valyrian steel weapons (plus any dragonglass weapons they end up forging later in the show) have to kill? The wights are killed by fire only? regular weapons?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
BrownCoat said:

You know what I want to talk about....the lack of Lady Lyanna Mormont this season.

When is she going to take the Iron Throne??
Maybe we will get a scene with Arya training Lyanna
redline248
AG
Regular weapons can slow down or even take the wights out of the fight (if chopped up enough), but fire is the most effective.

We still are unsure of the total number of walkers
SuperAg05
AG
So, here's what bugged me about the Dragon battle. The Lannister army was LINED UP! Like, a big straight line of dudes in armor. And yet, Dany comes straight on and burns a perpendicular hole in the line (presumably to allow entrance through the ranks for the Dothraki). But, wouldn't it have been easier to just burn straight on down the line till they were all dead?I mean, she does this on the next few passes to destroy the wagons and stuff, but she could have fairly easily done that to the army guys and ended this battle with a LOT less Dothraki casualties.

Step 1: Have Dothraki scream and make loud noises to get Lannisters to form a shield wall
Step 2: Fly Drogon along wall of dudes and roast them to bits
Step 3: Take unburnt wagons and stuff back to Dragonstone or Casterly Rock for supplies
Step 4: Profit?
thaed137
AG
100% what I thought as the battle progressed.
redline248
AG
The Lanister army actually had an almost 90 degree angle turn in the line. So given the Dothraki charge, to which the defending troops oriented, it makes sense for Dany to fly start at them in support. At least for the initial attack. It's not like they were prepared to do anything about it. After that she mostly attacked at the flanks.
Joseph Parrish
AG
redline248 said:

The Lanister army actually had an almost 90 degree angle turn in the line. So given the Dothraki charge, to which the defending troops oriented, it makes sense for Dany to fly start at them in support. At least for the initial attack. It's not like they were prepared to do anything about it. After that she mostly attacked at the flanks.
Yeah, the targeting was seriously ridiculous.
JJxvi
AG
Dany should have paused the game once she could see the enemy formation so she could set up her troops perfectly on the fly, then unpause.
redline248
AG
I mean, the Dothraki know how to charge into a fight and whip some ass, but are they known for following strategic plans? Is Dany a master strategist?

Cue the ranking of military commanders in Westeros debate from last week.
RDV-1992
JJxvi said:

Dany should have paused the game once she could see the enemy formation so she could set up her troops perfectly on the fly, then unpause.
Yes! We need you to start advising the Pentagon. And to start coaching A&M Football, Basketball, Baseball, Equestrian, Volleyball, etc.
RDV-1992
redline248 said:

I mean, the Dothraki know how to charge into a fight and whip some ass, but are they known for following strategic plans? Is Dany a master strategist?

Cue the ranking of military commanders in Westeros debate from last week.
I think having air superiority and napalm will tend to alleviate her inexperience. Plus other advantages, like having ~70k light cavalry versus ~10k foot soldiers that are getting roasted, having those light cavalry fight downhill, and to have those foot solders sandwiched between you and an incredibly deep water body right behind them. Dream setup for a battle.
oh no
AG
I'm not sure how tight the steering or turning radius is on Drogon. Acceleration and braking/ deceleration might need some adjustment or tune-ups as well. Once he's finely tuned, I'm sure Dany will be able to change directions and fire down the line as opposed to firing through the line more quickly.
jenn96
AG
Her first battle against massed infantry. She figured it out pretty quickly.

Maybe she wanted the "Oh Fuuuuuuuck" factor of a head-on dragon attack on the first drive.
Obi Wan Ginobili
My wife has never seen an episode of the show. She doesn't care for all the blood and fighting. She does appreciate a good story, so she will have me hit the highlights after each episode.

She doesn't even watch the show, and she asks less stupid questions than half the idiots on this thread.
JJxvi
AG
IMO, a "realistic" battle would have actually ended right there. The Dothraki would have punched through that hole, and every single person in the Lannister army would have started running. If anything was ridiculous it was the idea that there would still be a line there after that point.
NC2001
AG
oh no said:

I'm not sure how tight the steering or turning radius is on Drogon. Acceleration and braking/ deceleration might need some adjustment or tune-ups as well. Once he's finely tuned, I'm sure Dany will be able to change directions and fire down the line as opposed to firing through the line more quickly.
Maybe Eragon can give Dany lessons on how to fight while riding on the back of a dragon.
wangus12
AG
redline248 said:

Regular weapons can slow down or even take the wights out of the fight (if chopped up enough), but fire is the most effective.

We still are unsure of the total number of walkers
I think dragon glass can take out the wights as well as the walkers
AtlAg05
AG
SuperAg05 said:

So, here's what bugged me about the Dragon battle. The Lannister army was LINED UP! Like, a big straight line of dudes in armor. And yet, Dany comes straight on and burns a perpendicular hole in the line (presumably to allow entrance through the ranks for the Dothraki). But, wouldn't it have been easier to just burn straight on down the line till they were all dead?I mean, she does this on the next few passes to destroy the wagons and stuff, but she could have fairly easily done that to the army guys and ended this battle with a LOT less Dothraki casualties.

Step 1: Have Dothraki scream and make loud noises to get Lannisters to form a shield wall
Step 3: Take unburnt wagons and stuff back to Dragonstone or Casterly Rock for supplies

And your version of GoT would have lasted one book and netted 0 HBO series.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

My wife has never seen an episode of the show. She doesn't care for all the blood and fighting. She does appreciate a good story, so she will have me hit the highlights after each episode.

She doesn't even watch the show, and she asks less stupid questions than half the idiots on this thread.

Do your recaps include teleportation, guessing who will boink who, 2nd guessing battle tactics, predictions based on personal wishes, dragon aerodynamics, or assuming every character always should be able to use perfect rationalization, have time to anyalize all possible actions to determine the best possible decision?

If so, it won't help.
WestAustinAg
AG
jenn96 said:

Maybe she wanted the "Oh Fuuuuuuuck" factor of a head-on dragon attack on the first drive.
As did Drogon. He figured out how to fire on command and to hit exactly what area his rider Queen commanded. That's hard enough to do with a dog much less a dragon.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
JJxvi said:

IMO, a "realistic" battle would have actually ended right there. The Dothraki would have punched through that hole, and every single person in the Lannister army would have started running. If anything was ridiculous it was the idea that there would still be a line there after that point.

I think the Dothraki are supposed to represent steppe horse tribes like the Huns and Mongols. Their strategy was to stay back and shoot arrows in to infantry until they retreated. Once the infantry starts to run the slaughter begins.

So the whole calvary charge was was unrealistic. But honestly why are talking realistic military strategy when there's a chick riding around on a dragon?
WestAustinAg
AG
There are some far out there projections about how things are going to go down. I assume that a few of you have actually now read the online information about the rest of the season.

How many of you think that 1 or 2 or the bold prognosticators have actually read the plot lines and are setting themselves up for being correct?

I say 2 or 3 for sure.
EFE
AG
Your dog breathes fire?!?
Joseph Parrish
AG
JJxvi said:

Ha, had to be multiple mile head start with a great vantage point.

Can't slightly veer right to take out the massive row of troops perfectly lined up.
MW03
AG
SuperAg05 said:

TheDraw
AG

FightinTexasAg15
AG
JJxvi said:

Mom, you can't pause an online game. ugh
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
WestAustinAg said:

jenn96 said:

As did Drogon. He figured out how to fire on command and to hit exactly what area his rider Queen commanded. That's hard enough to do with a dog much less a dragon.
You have a dog that breathes fire?
ham98
TheEyeGuy said:

WestAustinAg said:

jenn96 said:

You don't? I thought that was pretty much the reason people had dogs.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ham98 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

WestAustinAg said:

jenn96 said:

My (wife's) two dogs are Shih Tzus. Well, one is most likely part poodle. To call them worthless would be an insult to the dogs out there that are worthless. I plan on getting a Boykin spaniel in the not too distant future to have a useful dog. I'll make sure to get the fire upgrade.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ham98 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

WestAustinAg said:

jenn96 said:

Also, between the choice of having a cat or a dog, the dog won out as I try to stay away from inherently evil beings.
smokeythebear
AG
I just assumed she went for the stationary targets. She's riding Drogon and MAYBE able to steer to some degree? She gives Drogon the command "drakaris" when she wants him to shoot fire so breaking the line was the most crucial objective. Had she swooped to the side first and then tried to go down the line, maybe the line moves forwards or backwards and his strafe misses, leaving the line intact for when the Dothraki make it there with their charge?

Again, she's riding a wild beast. Imagine trying to ride a grizzly bear or an elephant and steer him into flanking an enemy. The bear's natural instinct is going to be charge directly at the enemy.
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.