*** Legion (FX X-Men Series) ***

31,453 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Bobcat06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the end of the previous episode, The Monster as Lenny convinces David to unwittingly take it from the Astral Plane back to earth by showing David that his friends were in trouble. Afterwards Lenny with Monster hands peers out from behind David, signaling that the Monster fully possessed David.

This entire episode, The Monster has been in control of David and doing whatever it wants (screwing his girlfriend, killing people, etc). At the end of the episode, the Monster reveals that he's been in the background messing with David since he was a kid. Then he uses David's power to create another psychic projection and traps everyone in an insane asylum.

What I don't get is, why not kill them? Isn't the goal here David? Does the Monster want to use Jean Smart to get to her husband?
Sex Panther
AG
David's friends with the monster that's under his bed
Gets along with the voices inside of his head
MooreTrucker
AG
Sex Panther said:

David's friends with the monster that's under his bed
Gets along with the voices inside of his head
That sounds like a Metallica lyric
Sex Panther
AG
Really close...
TCTTS
AG
aTmLoKi
AG
This show is good....really good. I agree that there have to be some awards in the future for Legion.

Curious, but has anyone noticed David's shirts? There is always a symbol of some sort on them, and I didn't know if anyone had put them all together yet or not - and if it is significant or not.
redline248
AG
I've noticed them, but not in the manner you're asking. I just think they are friggin sweet.
Trident 88
AG
Bobcat06 said:

What I don't get is, why not kill them? Isn't the goal here David? Does the Monster want to use Jean Smart to get to her husband?

The monster likes to toy with his victims and gets a kick out of mentally torturing them. He's been inside David for a long time and has grown cocky, which is the downfall of every powerful villain.
AliasMan02
AG
I thought this week's was by far the most straight forward episode.
Madmarttigan
AG
Was better this week and it is finally leading somewhere. Still on the fence about this show though. Such a cool premise that I think is presented in an over the top and weird way to cover up writing that hasn't been that great so far.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This is a weird show. And not entirely in a good way.

The first episode was great. Really, really good.

The next four episodes really seem like there was two hours worth of plot stretched really thin over four hours with a lot of weird dream sequences, conversations at lakes and characters staring at each other to fill in the time.

Episode 4 really seemed like 15 minutes of plot and 45 minutes of The Matrix Revolutions-type psuedo-intellectual speeches.

Seriously, this:

Felt like this:

I really want to love this show, but I can't. I'm really just continuing to watch it because there's nothing really else on for me right now.
Madmarttigan
AG
Basically how I feel. I feel like I should love this show and I want to but the way they are presenting it is making me dislike what should be a cool story..
thaed137
AG
I am actually liking it a bit more and more with each episode. It really feels that the episodes mirror very close to his mind. Each episode gets more clear on whats going on as he learns more and more what is happening to himself.

I view it not as much as the monster doesn't want to kill the other people, but in doing so, might cause him to reject the control or be harder to control so the monster is trying to isolate the people away from him while he wrestles for full control.

My only hope is there is not some big reveal or wipe that reveals everything we have seen is in his mind like a bad dream sort of thing, that'll be lame an disappointing.
TCTTS
AG
Halfway through tonight's episode and I legitimately don't know if I can finish the season. This is such repetitive, overly weird, faux intellectual nothingness.
SeattleAgJr
thaed137 said:

I am actually liking it a bit more and more with each episode. It really feels that the episodes mirror very close to his mind. Each episode gets more clear on whats going on as he learns more and more what is happening to himself.

I view it not as much as the monster doesn't want to kill the other people, but in doing so, might cause him to reject the control or be harder to control so the monster is trying to isolate the people away from him while he wrestles for full control.

My only hope is there is not some big reveal or wipe that reveals everything we have seen is in his mind like a bad dream sort of thing, that'll be lame an disappointing.
Oh it is ALL going to have been in his mind.

All of the people we have met are going to be split personalities running loose in his head.

It will become clear once he defeats the Shadow King in the finale. And I still bet Prof X shows up for a cameo.
TCTTS
AG
Glad that they finally referenced his "real dad." One of the few cool parts of the episode, and the reasoning of it all was pretty interesting too.

But if everyone truly does end up simply being imaginary / different parts of his personality, they're going to piss off a lot of people. As lame as this show is at times, I just don't see that happening.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Glad that they finally referenced his "real dad." One of the few cool parts of the episode, and the reasoning of it all was pretty interesting too.

But if everyone truly does end up simply being imaginary / different parts of his personality, they're going to piss off a lot of people. As lame as this show is at times, I just don't see that happening.
I am just guessing on that point.

It is likely a few are "real" people, and the rest are all part of David being an unreliable narrator.

I just saw the preview for next week (there are two out there - one I guess is US and one international) that clarifies two points:
The identity of the bad guy
Some of what is real/not real based on comments and locations shown in the trailer
Madmarttigan
AG
Thank god this season is only 8 episodes long. I would have quit already if it were any more drawn out. I just want to see the season finale and see if my opinion changes at all.
MrPlow2010
AG
It did officially get picked up for a second season I believe.
redline248
AG
I actually liked the reversal of the first episode. I still don't understand the shot of the door opening and closing and then David (previously Syd) standing there.

I assume it's not in his mind, but in the Astral plane, which is why Oliver can "rescue" them. I guess the monster doesn't account for him, or else doesn't consider him a threat?
Trident 88
AG
The latest episode tried my patience, but I enjoyed Aubrey Plaza's performance quite a bit. Her/the beast's scene where she describes what the fungus does to an ant and admits that she knew David's dad, has basically run out of patience with David's friends, his feelings for Syd, etc... this was enough to keep me interested in seeing what happens next.

It's time for some more action though.
MooreTrucker
AG
Trident 88 said:

The latest episode tried my patience, but I enjoyed Aubrey Plaza's performance quite a bit. Her/the beast's
I read that as "breasts"...
91_Aggie
AG
I finally got caught up on all the episodes.

No one has brought up (unless I missed it) the ambiguous time period this show is set in.
The hairstyles and some of the clothes are very Sixty-ish. The guns that they use with the round magazines. but they reference non-60s things like 99 Luftballoons which Ptonomy said his mom was singing when he was younger.

Even the fight scenes with Kerry (the chick who likes to fight) look choreographed like 60's fight scenes, almost making me thing of the Batman series from that time (except without the Pow! and Kablam! captions popping up). The fight scenes aren't like today's 'perfect' superhero fight scenes.

The creator said Pink Floyd's music is part of his "muse" for this... he named a character Syd Barrett, who spent much of his life in a mental institution after being the guy who started Pink Floyd.

I'm hooked. I can see how some people are getting tired of all the weirdness and the "being different and weird just to be different and weird". I'm just along for the ride now.

I loved Jemaine Clement's character in the ''Ice Cube".

It is slow moving, but I'm along for the ride. I think that this extended origin story is what keeps it interesting for me. If he gets his powers and this just becomes a "Legion gets his powers and is now part of the X-men/X-Factor/X-whatever group and they fight super-villain crime each week" show, then I think it will end quickly.

MrPlow2010
AG
In the episode where Syd and Ptonomy visit Philly at work there is like an ipad looking thing on her desk. It could be a small computer or something. It changes pictures like a screensaver would or one of those digital picture frames. Either way it's definitely not something that would be around 40 or more years ago.
fig96
AG
Yeah, I'm really enjoying it as well.

It is weird, and the pacing and semi-linear storytelling is odd to say the least, but it's engaging and the variety of characters keeps it interesting. The fact that it's from the creator of Fargo doesn't hurt either.

I'm definitely in for the long haul, even if it ends up being just to see where they take it.
TCTTS
AG
It's definitely the '60s. Hawley confirmed it. It's just like an alt version, where mutant powers and what not lead to slightly more advanced tech than they really had back then.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ugh, this week's episode was just painful to slog through. Sooooo much unnecessary "look at how cerebral and clever I'm being" nonsense. Nothing of substance until the last two minutes of the show. The first 45 minutes should have been reduced to maybe 5 minutes of screentime. And I dont care if it is from the creator of Fargo, that alone doesnt make it good. This show doesnt hold a candle to Fargo.
MrPlow2010
AG
Ok. That makes sense.
Shelton98
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

In the episode where Syd and Ptonomy visit Philly at work there is like an ipad looking thing on her desk. It could be a small computer or something. It changes pictures like a screensaver would or one of those digital picture frames. Either way it's definitely not something that would be around 40 or more years ago.

I was thinking the van in the woods was fairly modern as well.
91_Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

It's definitely the '60s. Hawley confirmed it. It's just like an alt version, where mutant powers and what not lead to slightly more advanced tech than they really had back then.
So, it leads to 99 Luftballoons being released in the 40s?!?!

TCTTS
AG
This is a show in which an ancient, obese, mutant demon ghost haunts the mind of an all-powerful telekinetic drug addict who at one point traverses an astral plane to visit a man living inside a giant floating ice cube while said man's telepathic wife, a girl who can switch bodies with whoever touches her, a black guy who can enter anyone's memories, and girl who literally lives inside a man subconsciously search for the all-powerful telekinetic, who may or may not be in the form of a young boy... and you're questioning the existence of 99 Luftballoons in this universe?
redline248
AG
Are you riled up? I feel like you are riled up.
TCTTS
AG
Not in the least. I was making a joke.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

By the way, I don't think it's confirmed '60s by Hawley, either.

Quote:

When I wrote the script I assumed it was set in present day and in our world, and I think the network assumed that too. Then when it came time to make it I thought about it more as a fable on some level and I realized I wanted to make something subjective. Which is to say this whole show is not the world, it's David's experience of the world. He's piecing his world together from nostalgia and memory and the world becomes that. I found myself watching A Clockwork Orange and Quadrophenia and a lot of '60s British films. Costume wise Clockwork had a specific look to it that I wanted to play with. I wanted to create a world that had its own rules, and that was about putting you into David's head and seeing things that are there or aren't there. You wonder: Who is this guy if everything he's thought about himself is wrong?
It's not even about what time it is. The first bolded part explains the placement of 99 luftballoons, anyway.
redline248
AG
yeah, so was I.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.