*** Legion (FX X-Men Series) ***

31,460 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
PoopKing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hmm
The Debt
hunter2012 said:

Any idea when how fast they push their shows to FXNow?

The only content I see on FXNow is the simpsons, some movies, and a bunch of trailers for their series.
hunter2012
AG
If I hadn't read this thread or read up on Legion the character I would have been completely lost... as it stands I'm only a little lost.
fig96
AG
That was a bit confusing but super compelling for me, particularly as it came together at the end.

I'm definitely in for at least a couple more eps.
redline248
AG
I had no clue wtf was happening for 97% of that episode.
CorpsAg11
AG
I only watched this show b/c of the critical acclaim it was getting. I'm not much of a comic book / superhero guy.

Out ****ing standing show. The best production value I've seen on TV. Acting was good, writing was good, characters were good. All good.
redline248
AG
So many questions. How did they get unswitched, for starters?

Poor Lenny.
TCTTS
AG
PoopKing said:

Hmm

This. The pilot was a bit too cute for my tastes, trying a little too hard to be X-Men by way of Wes Anderson, but I'm intrigued for the most part and will definitely stick with it.
schmendeler
AG
i liked it. not sure how i didn't realize immediately from the trailers that it's matthew crawley from downton abbey, but it clicked about 3-4 minutes in.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

PoopKing said:

Hmm

This. The pilot was a bit too cute for my tastes, trying a little too hard to be X-Men by way of Wes Anderson, but I'm intrigued for the most part and will definitely stick with it.
I was about five minutes in when I realized that this was Fargo (the series), but in the X-Universe. That's exactly how it felt to me. And, as I love Fargo and this is from the creator of that series, I was fine with that.
Big Cat `93
AG
"Syd Barrett." Well played.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

PoopKing said:

Hmm

this is the perfect description of the pilot.

and as someone who admittedly doesn't "get" Wes Anderson, I didn't really enjoy it. i'll give it a few episodes before pulling the cord though.

Bruce Almighty
AG
First episode was a little weird, but I have a feeling this show is going to end up really good. I'll give it a few more episodes for sure.
Jasomania
AG
I had high expectations going in to this how and wow they nailed it. I can't wait to see where they go with this. Visually it was gorgeous, it felt like I was watching a movie rather than TV and the acting was incredibly well done.

What really impressed me in the acting was when they switched bodies and David was Syd. The actress playing Syd not only took on David's physical personality traits like his ticks and the way his eyes dart. But she also was trying to play it cool and not raise suspicion so the parts of David were very muted like she was trying to hide them. Very impressive to show all this just through acting.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, for show threads like this, there's no need for spoiler tags. After an episode has aired, it's assumed that everyone will be discussing the specifics of the episode and that most people stay away who haven't watched yet.
aTmLoKi
AG
Damn. That was an amazing show.

Having said that....what just happened?
LuvMarley
Just watched 1st episode. Fascinating to watch even if you don't have a clue what is going on. Great fun trying to figure it out though.
Silver Arrows
AG
So is Syd just one of his alternate personalities?
MaroonStain
AG
Yeah...I am 8 minutes in and this is...A.W.E.S.O.M.E...
cr0wbar
AG
pretty stupid pilot. Between this and Americans, FX has been crapping the bed lately
Quad Dog
AG
MaroonStain said:

Yeah...I am 8 minutes in and this is...A.W.E.S.O.M.E...
I thought from the start to first commercial break was just amazing storytelling as an intro.
AliasMan02
AG
Just able to watch. Totally in. That was incredible.
CorpsAg11
AG
cr0wbar said:

pretty stupid pilot. Between this and Americans, FX has been crapping the bed lately

What are you?!
MaroonStain
AG
That post was a drive-by by That Guy. The one that takes it upon themselves to eat stale cheerios and piss on your doorstep.
AgsMnn
AG
Still trying to figure it all out.

Can someone explain it a little.
Sex Panther
AG
Man that was weird AF... But I really dug it

The opening scene was great and reminded me a lot of Watchmen
AliasMan02
AG
AgsMnn said:

Still trying to figure it all out.

Can someone explain it a little.
I'll take a stab at it.

David, his powers finally fully awakening during a time of extreme stress after a long upward climb, is overcome by the voices he was hearing in his head. As a result, he destroys his apartment using his telekinetic powers. In the fallout of this event, he is committed.

At the asylum, he is medicated, which mostly keeps his powers in check. He is convinced that he doesn't even really have powers, but is mentally ill. He has no friends except the eccentric Lenny, until one day Syd arrives. She has a unique view on mental illness, suggesting that they are not necessarily ill, but are in fact "special" like Picasso or Einstein. She does seem to have mental issues, however, as she will not let anyone touch her, even the man she loves.

Syd is scheduled to be released. Devastated because he feels he'll never get out, David almost fails to see her off. In a last desperate act, he rushes toward her as she's leaving and kisses her against her will.

David couldn't have known that Syd is a mutant, or that her power caused her to physically switch bodies with anyone she came into contact with. At the instant of their kiss, their physical beings swap in an explosion of psychic energy. David's mind is now wrapped in Syd's body, and more importantly, the reverse is true.

Unrestrained by years of suppression coupled with medication, Syd's mind is unable to control the powers the lie in David's body. She unwittingly releases a wave of psychic and telekinetic energy that is so powerful it rewrites the laws of physics to meet her subconscious wishes. All of the patients are locked in their rooms, and the doors dematerialize, trapping them all. Sadly, Lenny is mistakenly killed in the incident as her body half-materializes in a wall.

David, in Syd's body, is released. Shortly after, the duration of the power comes to an end and their bodies revert. David is now free.

David goes to his sister's house to hunker down, increasingly out of control of his powers, which are slave to his emotions. He spends his time looking for Syd, while his subconscious materialized Lenny for him to talk to; it is possible that her apparition is an actual psychic imprint, but we can't know for sure.

After a week, David is captured by a rogue group of some sort who capture, study, and sometimes kill mutants. In their custody his powers manifest more fully before Syd and her friends come to free him.

Syd belongs to a resistance group of mutants (and potentially non-mutants) who oppose David's captors, who continue to hunt him and Syd.
Sex Panther
AG
PatAg
AG
Or Syd doesn't exist, and her and the whole extraction team are just different manifestations of David's personalities and his abilities
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

Or Syd doesn't exist, and her and the whole extraction team are just different manifestations of David's personalities and his abilities
That said, your take is very accurate on what was presented to us, I think.
AliasMan02
AG
I totally expect some twists and turns.
Sex Panther
AG
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all the marketing, promos, clips etc (and there were a lot) were from the first episode... Pretty interesting.
AliasMan02
AG
Seems like the rest of the season may differ pretty greatly in tone/structure.
Sex Panther
AG
That's what I'm thinking
redline248
AG
So the voices he hears...is it b/c he has power like Xavier and can read minds, as well as having telekinesis?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.