Rock HOF nominations are out

8,876 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

old acts that are possible
Jethro Tull
Thin Lizzy
Alan Parsons
Bad Company
Steppenwolf ?

Ozzy - solo probably needs to be in at some point
Ted Nugent - also deserves solo spot
Sammy Hagar - solo?

Bon Jovi - I guess

hard/metal is still under represented here are a few:
Scorpions - thats a tragedy imho
Def Leppard
Motley Crue
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Pantera
Megadeath
Anthrax
Slayer

from the grunge alternative movement now that PJ is in look for some of these to start getting in
Alice in Chains
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden
Smashing Pumpkins
Jane's Addiction
pagerman @ work
AG
How are Tupac and Joan Baez getting into the Rock and Roll HOF?

The only way Joan Baez should get in is by buying a ticket.
Mathguy64
AG
Iron Maiden. Let Bruce get up there ripping out vocals and then spring Eddie out from the back. That alone would worth the price of admission
Bruce Almighty
AG
pagerman @ work said:

Because it's Rock and Roll HOF in name only. It's basically the popular music hall of fame.
pagerman @ work
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

pagerman @ work said:

Because it's Rock and Roll HOF in name only. It's basically the popular music hall of fame.
Then I can see Tupac, but I would argue that that criteria would make her doubly unqualified.
Scotty Appleton
I don't even classify it as Popular Music HoF.

If that were the case, Depeche Mode would be in. 100+ million records sold...

It isn't all about influential artists either, or Joy Division/New Order would be. Treating those 2 bands as 1, they are at least top 10 all-time from a pure influence/most copied standpoint. They spawned or seriously influenced 3 genres of popular music & 2 distinct decades.

The Cure fits in both influential & popular, and isn't in.

It isn't about musical talent + popularity/album sales, see Dire Straits (Knopler is one of the best ever, Brothers in Arms has sold over 30M albums alone) or Iron Maiden (Steve Harris/Bruce & 90 million albums, still fill stadiums)

Basically, it's a big head-shaker + the "need" for PC inclusions.
wesag
AG
Not Motorhead please.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Motorhead please
snowdog90
It really is amazing/perplexing/ridiculous/insane the artists in and out of the HOF. I could name many that are in that I just don't understand, but even moreso some that are not in. Yes, Journey and ELO not already being in is laughable, just... inexcusable.

As are:

Iron Maiden - wow, how can they still not be in, yet Tupac gets in?

Judas Priest - no JP, but Joan Jett is in.

Def Leppard - They were the biggest band arguably from 84 - 87. I don't love them, but they were huge.

Boston - This might be controversial, but Boston should be in despite their lack of work. Their first album is the greatest debut album ever, and still gets airplay 40 years later. Their sound was totally unique and never duplicated.

But hey, maybe the Sex Pistols deserve their spot in the HOF more than these bands.

Edit: I forgot Rage Against the Machine, though not sure they're eligible yet. Pearl Jam should start the deluge of Seattle grunge bands getting in (hopefully Alice IC, Soundgarden, SP, STP).
Mathguy64
AG
I wondered if someone would bring up Boston. Best opening album ever but their body of work (ok let's be real it's Tom Scholz's body of work) is really missing. As I understand it he actually played all of the instruments on the debut album and then worked backwards building the band to match his sound. I haven't looked but is he the only only left alive?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Horse sheet on pearl jam

Aust Ag
AG
mathguy86 said:

I wondered if someone would bring up Boston. Best opening album ever but their body of work (ok let's be real it's Tom Scholz's body of work) is really missing. As I understand it he actually played all of the instruments on the debut album and then worked backwards building the band to match his sound. I haven't looked but is he the only only left alive?
This is mostly correct..

But no to Boston. Not really that influencial. Great first two albums though. Awesome guitar sound.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I disagree that Boston's first album is the greatest first album ever.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Not even close.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Not even close.

it is in the runnng...it's worth debating but......

whelp.....time for a list....and a vote......I actually have prepared one. I had been working on this for a while....

LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME.

Look for a separate thread.....
Know Your Enemy
AG
I have a horrible memory but could probably rattle off damn near ten (no pun intended) at a moments notice that are better.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Junkhead said:

I have a horrible memory but could probably rattle off damn near ten (no pun intended) at a moments notice that are better.

or go here...i probably listed most of them

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2822017

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.